Author Topic: A very practical fitness and weight loss podcast  (Read 8661 times)

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
A very practical fitness and weight loss podcast
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:36:42 PM »
these guys cut through the crap and tell you what is up with nutrition and fitness.

Helped me learn a lot about diet and expelled a lot of myths about calories and yo-yo dieting. In particular you will be surprised how much food you can really eat when you get serious about health and weight loss!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/

Try the BMR calculator..
http://www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr/

it also gives you a basic run-down on BMR after you fill out the form. 

-Nick

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: A very practical fitness and weight loss podcast
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »
WOW I ran the calculator and at a sedentary lifestyle I would be in the 2500 calorie range. (Which compared to my own testing and studies is exactly where I would have estimated it). 

Before I started my health makeover yesterday, I was probably pulling anywhere from 3800 to 5000 calories a day.  (Terrible lifestyle, skip breakfast, skip lunch 3 or 4 days a week, glut out on a huge supper and snack all night.

2 years ago, I did a weight loss (local biggest looser contest) and dropped 40 lbs in 8 weeks.  I cut to a 1300 calorie a day diet and did minimal exercise (20 or 30 minutes of heavy bag and weights).  I gained it all back because I went back to my old eating habits when the contest was over.

This time around, i'm doing the same thing, working a 1300 to 1500 calorie diet (Enough to keep my body out of starvation mode) and eating much more often.  Breakfast of some fruit snack on radishes or pickles etc when I am hungry, a sensible noon meal at around 400 calories, some more snacks (Carrots or pickles) a fairly large supper of about 550 calories.  By the end of the day, i'm not hungry, i'm not binging, i'm eating smaller healthier portions and the weight just drips off of me.  (I do allow myself one or two times a week of a big binge meal like pizza or fast food in the 800 to 1000 calorie range which helps me to stay on goal).

Losing weight for me is easy, its maintaining the lifestyle and habits that gets hard (always so busy grabbing food on the go etc).  I'm all over it this time.  I've got the mindset to stick with it from a long term prepper standpoint and I think it will make all the difference.  Plus with my current plan, there is plenty of room to maneuver.

I will be increasing my exercise levels as well, (At which point the calorie intake will go up also) just getting over a 6 or 8 week fight with a persistent bronchial infection but i'm feeling much better now.

Great sites and information.  Thanks for the tip and links.  +1

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:23:12 AM »
@Docwatmo

If your goal is to be a sedentary 5 foot tall 70 pound woman then 1300 calories is an appropriate calorie target!  I know that sounds ridiculous but what is actually ridiculous is the diet industry mainstream telling us that this is a realistic and healthy caloric intake!

The diet industry does not want you to be thin! The more you lose and re-gain the more juice they can squeeze from you.

If the calculator said 2300 calories then that is the number you must not eat BELOW to avoid slowing your metabolism, assuming you put in your correct goal weight.

You absolutely will have a starvation response to that sort of calorie goal and your metabolism will slow to a crawl. You will be hungry and your body will retain any fat it gets its hands on while simulataneously carving into your muscle mass!

The reason I, much like you and others, have been on the diet treadmill (yo-yo) is because we kill our metabolisms with starvation and after awhile we scream "enough is enough" and our bodies, starving from malnutrion, pack the pounds back on like a wildfire.

I had the same misconceptions about calories, etc before finding out about healthy weight loss. I encourage you to revisit the BMR calculator and listen to the podcast. Put in your goal weight and pick your goal activity level.

For example I am 6'4" with a goal weight of 120. My caloric needs for being "very active" are 2700 calories a day. this means this is the caloric level I should be targeting every day, nor reducing from.

So what they say on the podcast is to "eat like the thin healthy person you want to be"   So I doubt that you see yourself long-term eating 1300 calories per day, so why should you do it now? If you starting eating and acting like 180 pound person (or whatever your goal weight is) you will eventually become one.

Obviously what you eat plays a big part too, you can't load up on 2300 calories of oreo cookies, but I'm being obvious here. If your eating piles of veggies and lean protein throughout the day and NOT skipping meals I think you will find that you can lose weight while *always" being totally full.  1 to 2 pounds per week or 1% of your mass

I know I am coming off like a know it all lecturer type pesron now, but I know how hard it is when your starving yourself repeadetly and doing the wrong things over and over. It totally sucks!   

Good luck!

-Nick

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:29 AM »
Oh no, the 1300 to 1500 calorie is just to boost the weight loss speed :)  Help me get to my goal weight faster.  (I did this once before and dropped 40 lbs in 8 weeks).  Losing weight for me is easy this way and I didn't hit the starvation plateau last time and haven't hit it this time yet either.  If I recognize the plateau, i'll up the calories a bit to keep it going.

Once I get closer to my goal weight, i'll be upping the calories back to a good maintenance level in accordance with the recommendations and paying attention to my own bodies response.

The reason I bounced last time was because the "Contest" (A bigest loser style local radio contest) I was in ended and I went back to my old habits.

This time around (Its only the 2nd time I've actively tried to lose weight), i'm planning around maintaining the habits that will get me to and keep me where I want to be.  I also let myself have 1800 to 2000 calories on the weekends.  (Plus i'm eating much healthier calories, more fruits and veggies, no more candies, chips, ho'ho's etc).

Thanks for the the info.  I'm glad people are out there willing to help.  Makes this feel so much more like a family than a forum.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:22:14 AM »
The problem with that initial weight loss boost is your going to lose muscle mass and slow your metabolism as I stated earlier... but just like Jack says on TSP, you have to make it your own and do what works for you!

I would still suggest not doing a starvation period, it takes days not weeks to develop a starvation response.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:29:43 AM »
Here is another way to look at it. Lets say you are targeting 2300 calories at "maintenance" if you lose the weight rapidly by starving yourself your metabolism will be going very slowly. Weight lost by starvation is very very hard to keep off.

So when you try to eat your maintenance calories you will actually start putting the weight back on because your bodies natural instinct to preserve your life will have taken over and will store all the new calories as fat to protect itself.

If you just simply lose the weight slowly over time it will be easy to keep off because you will not have to change any of the habits you already developed, just continue living a healthy lifestyle.

Thats my take on it.

Thanks,

Nick

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'll work at it and all my changes in calorie intake are gradual and graduated.  My goal is 60 lbs down initially, when i'm down 30 i'll slowly up the calories to 1700 or 1800, and when i'm down 40 i'll push closer to 2000-2200.  Also right now my lifestyle is sedentary, not working out, or anything.  As I start working out (Which is part of my long term plan and am working on making a 30 minute activity a daily routine) i'll calculate the calories burned during workout and increase my calorie intake to compensate.  I want to replace some fat with muscle rather than just lose weight so i'm taking that into consideration also. 

I can use all the help I can get and really do appreciate your input.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:51:42 AM »
Here is what worked for me for the physical fitness side of things, again you got to make it your own...

but being outdoorsy as a lot of people  here are I looked up and started participating in local groups that do active type things. Some of the things I now do are backpacking, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, trail running, orienteering, etc

Not saying I just signed up on day one and started doing everything under the sun. I started with mountain biking since I enjoyed it as a kid and the other things I just naturally got into as I started surrounding myself with like minded people.

I tried the gym thing or just working out for the sake of it, but was never able to stick with it due to boredom. Making it a social thing with friends made it something I looked forward to every week rather than dreaded.

Now mountain biking/etc is not a chore, it is something I can't wait to do and excites me.

Initially I would suggest just taking a walk, 1 or 2 miles. Maybe try a local orienteering group, so you can do some hiking but also work on your compass work, or give geocaching a try with a GPS.

Those are some more out of the box fitness suggestions then simply running on a treadmill.

I would suggest meetup.com as a place to start looking, also some groups have pages on facebook as well.  It might be something to consider.

I started at about 270 and am now 238. My goal weight is 215. 

I hope to lose 10 pounds by the end of march, so possibly that will show you the rate at which I am losing the weight. Some weeks I lose 1 pound, some weeks I lose nothing, some weeks I gain .5 pounds. The overall trend is downward though.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:40 AM »
I think we may have a lot in common.  I am an active Cub Scout leader and we will be doing much more Geo caching and long hiking this year.  My favorite exercise is to throw a big pack on my back and take a long tough hike and we live just a few blocks from the local park with some nice trails.  (My other favorite is hitting a speed bag or heavy bag, but I don't have one right now :( ).

When I say sedentary lifestyle its not so much that I sit around and do nothing, I spend most of my time fixing computers and staying busy, but just not much heavy physical activity.  Started playing adult league soccer this fall and its down for the winter but we'll be doing it again in the spring.  I'm just always so busy being all over the place all the time doing things, and not setting aside time to do a few things I want to do.  I'm in process of reducing the number of events that are pulling me in several different directions and simplifying my lifestyle a bit to afford me more time to do the things that are not quick and easy.  This forum has been a big inspiration to me and every day I pick up more help and info.

I'm just itching for spring so I can put my first SFG in also. :)

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 12:15:13 PM »
Awesome!  Yes, when I was sedentary I was still more active than the average american, however not where I wanted to be, so I understand what you are saying.

I am also itching to start my first SFG too. Got my compost bins going now   :)

There are so many avenues to modern survival that I am lacking that I have written down about 15 projects I want to do this year... so much to do, it can get intimidating if you don't think about it in incremental chunks.

The SFG this coming spring is the thing I am most excited about.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »
I hope to lose 10 pounds by the end of march, so possibly that will show you the rate at which I am losing the weight. Some weeks I lose 1 pound, some weeks I lose nothing, some weeks I gain .5 pounds. The overall trend is downward though.
Daily Burn is a great site to track your fitness/weight loss as it records your progress, scheduled workouts, nutritional info and just about anything else you can imagine.

edited to include link
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:01:22 PM by ebonearth »

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »
you got a link? I tried searching for that and couldn't locate it

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 07:34:29 AM »
I'm going to take one more stab at starvation diets. I do this because I care and because I have been there. I feel to give you a pat on the back would make me an enabler of bad habits so I feel I must speak my mind on this. 

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/2009/12/fat-2-fit-83-eat-more-weight-less/

addresses the issue of starvation diets and why you are absolutely going to lose muscle mass.

Here is the nutshell explanation

* your body doesn't know the difference between your starvation diet and true famine.. it will take action almost immediately
* your body will start cannibalizing your muscle to reduce it's overall caloric needs. Meaning muscle takes more calories to sustain itself then fat, so it will retain fat and it will drop muscle. The goal of your body is to try to bring your daily caloric needs in-line with the input your giving it. So you lose weight rapidly
* You WILL experience rapid weight loss initially, however once the weight is off you will have drastically reduced the amount of calories you should be able to eat to maintain your weight.

So for example if you could eat 2300 calories a day, you may get to the point, by starving yourself and ruining your metabolism, you might actually gain weight by eating as little as 1700 calories. 

This is the "yo-yo" diet effect and this is why people that starve themselves ALMOST ALWAYS gain back the weight and in most cases end up FATTER than when they started.

Here is the ironic punchline: In many cases when they gain back the weight they are actually eating at levels where they would LOSE or MAINTAIN if they did not screw up their metabolism, but because their caloric needs are so drastically reduced they actually gain weight.

In the TSP podcast we always talk about the lost wisdom of our grandfathers, mine would says "if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right"

We need to ditch the quick results "i want it now" attitude that the diet industry relies on because it knows that you WILL be a repeat customer!

Lets look at it in terms of another thing we are familiar with.   You can get great quick results with agriculture by slashing and burning a field, tilling, fertilizing.  Really rapid, instant gratification with that method. Your taking your fertile metabolism and it is ready to rock when you plant your first crop.

Someone planting sustainably and using perma-culture practices will take years developing their system, however once the system is established it takes very little effort to maintain it.

The original farmer is having to add more and more chemicals and water every year, just like the dieter who is trying to stave off famine has to do more and more exercise and eat less and less food.

If farmer A decides to start a perma-culture system to fix his problem his soil (metabolism) will take quite a bit of time to rebuild just get back to where he started.

I know I sound like I am picking on you, but this is what I truly believe to be true. 

Take it from a recovered Yo-yo dieter, get off the bandwagon and lets make this change permanent!

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 08:02:25 AM »
Not picking at all.  I understand what you are saying and agree with most of it.  I've never been on a diet yo-yo because I've never really "Dieted" before.    The one time I lost weight was for a contest and I was only concerned with winning the contest, not with the long term effects. 

This time I'm monitoring things very closely and I've already upped my calorie intake to 1700 (Partially on your advice and partially because I recognized the signs my body was giving me).  I'm only losing about 1 lb ever 3 or 4 days now but thats fine.  I have all the time I need. 

I am feeling better already, more energy, I did a 3D outdoor bow target shoot with my boys last weekend and didn't have any trouble marching up and down the hills and through the woods.  Felt wonderful.

Thanks again so much for you help and advice.  It really is taken in earnest.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 08:12:01 AM »
Hey 1 pound every 3 to 4 days is within the healthy range. The rule of thumb is no more than 1% per week... not an exact science.

-Nick

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
these guys are great.  Thanks for the link!

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
Just wanted to update.   I finally got around to doing it the right way.  Started on Jan 21st and am down 20lbs with NO effort.

All I did was follow the advice in this thread and make some really minor lifestyle changes.

1. I cut out the majority of junk food and fast food. I grab a carrot or pickle or radishes or other veggies or fruits when I am hungry. (instead of potato chips or candy or boxed snacks etc)

2. I started watching portions a little better.  (Not too strict here). The first 3 or 4 days were tough because I'm used to eating 1 HUGE meal a day at supper (Stretching out my stomach). Once it shrank back to where it belongs, normal portions were enough to fill me up.

3. Eating more meals throughout the day. I used to skip breakfast, only eat lunch 1 or 2 times a week and then eat a HUGE meal for supper and snack all night. Now I eat some cereal or a couple eggs or oatmeal or a grapefruit or something for breakfast, then I have a snack between BK and Lunch, then I eat a double serving of something (Usually canned soups (Around 240 calories) for lunch (Feels like I'm splurging LOL), then if I'm hungry a small snack in the afternoon or when I get home, then I eat a reasonable supper and if I'm hungry later I grab another snack.

My wife is doing a great job with meals, picking healthy alternatives rather than the boxed pre-processed stuff. It's even saving us money on the grocery bill. (I never realized how much it cost to feed me those huge meals  :-[ ).

I am down 20 lbs in 19 days. Not bragging as I still don't quite believe it myself. I'm not working out or burning extra calories or drastically reducing calories or anything. I don't feel like I've done anything really, just better eating habits.

I feel amazing, even my brain is functioning better. My memory is better, I can stay focused on tasks better. My thinking is faster and more clear.

Thanks Ladieu, this thread was kind of my "kicker", sure I put it off too long, but now I'm back on track and doing great.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
Doc, thanks so much for the reminder. While you were losing weight I was gaining it. I am the second fattest i've been in my life. I've gained nearly 20 pounds since november.

Generally over the winter I am at the best shape of all year long, but this year I'm not running the 50k I normally run in march due to being an expectant father... anyway excuses aside I hope I can return the compliment and return to this thread in a few months giving you the thanks for kick starting my return to fitness.

-Nick