Author Topic: Which Fat or Oil stores longest?  (Read 36732 times)

Offline Fat_Man

• Prepper
  • Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
Which Fat or Oil stores longest?
« on: January 16, 2010, 02:59:34 PM »
I am building up my food storage and want to know which type of Fat, Oil, Shortening, or Lard lasts longest. Right now there is a clearance aisle in my local grocery store that has lots of Lard on sale really cheap. We don't normally use Lard, except to make tamales, but it can be used in other ways. Not the healthiest of the fats to be sure.
BTW our local Morman (LDS) church is having its Relief Society cannery date. They are letting outsiders buy supplies (which they do anyway here), but you can order cans/cases instead of just bulk. Check your local Morman (LDS) church to see if they are having this too! I plan on stocking up plenty!

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
Re: Which Fat or Oil stores longest?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
That fat on my waist D:

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »
I was able to buy 12 gal of EVOO (extra Virgin Olive Oil) in tin cans that supposedly have a shelf life of 15 years if unopened and in temp control climate.  I hope this is true cuz I am just about to open #2 and it has been 9 months.....

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
I faced this problem last year. My main source for food storage is "Crisis Preparedness Handbook" by Spigarelli-very informative on storage and nutrition, even breaks down everything in per person quantities needed and sources of those quantities (ex., fruit from cans, freezedried, dehydrated, etc.). Anyway, he said Crisco type oils would last about 12-15 years, so i stocked up based on that, then i read on several sites that it only lasts 2 years! I am perplexed, so i e-mail the author and believe it or not he did respond-he said his original figures were correct for Crisco in the old metal cans, but in the newer packaging they only last 2 years! so i overbought on Crisco, I have found a site that sells coconut oil and it has a shelf life of about 5-7 years, the best i have found so far. I will check on the EVOO to see about that one though. Just my .02 ;)

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:44:11 PM »
I had heard that trans-fats were used in prepared foods because it gives a longer shelf life.  I think the same applies to coconut oil.

Both of those don't have a very good reputation health-wise though.  I definitely would not want to live off of trans-fats as my only source of oil.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
I had heard that trans-fats were used in prepared foods because it gives a longer shelf life.  I think the same applies to coconut oil.

Both of those don't have a very good reputation health-wise though.  I definitely would not want to live off of trans-fats as my only source of oil.
I'm thinking that in a SHTF scenario i am not going to be so worried about clogged arteries. ;D Historically in SHTF scenarios the one common factor has been malnutrition and oil/fat shortage in the diets was the main culprit. just an old geezers .02

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »
That is sort of what I was thinking, phargolf. I was also wondering about the comparison between shortening and lard. Years ago we were told that margarine was much better for our health than butter... we now know that isn't true... we are told that lard is really really bad and that shortening is also really bad...

my question is: which one is worse? Should lard be a part of our food stores? I have never actually bought lard, so it would be a first for me.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »
Eating to much trans-fat will ruin your liver...it happened to me.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »
Too much of most anything is not good for you. Hell even drinking lots of water can kill you. Fats do not store all that well (in any form). I buy it like I do vitamins, I buy a years supply and use the products I bought the year before. I plan on buying the items that do not store well at the beginning of a crisis. It is a gamble but one I am willing to take.

As far as transfat goes, you probably shouldn't eat it if you are like most people, overweight and sedentary. In a survival situation I think I will go for the most "bang for the buck" and get the higher calorie transfat products. I would prefer to survive a food shortage by not starving to death and worry about clogged arteries later on.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »
I'd be more concerned about the trans-fats if you're using the "store what you eat" method.  In that case trans-fats would be your main source of oil in your daily life.

Most things I've read on the net say all oils last around a year each but various factors can shorten this. 

I found this interesting post here:

Every type of oil has a different level of saturation. The more saturated an oil is, the less susceptible it is to spoiling. The extreme end of this is crisco (hydrogenated oil). Hydrogenation is basically artificial saturation.

Impurities are also a factor in oil shelf life. A heavily processed bottle of wesson soybean oil will last quite a bit longer than an impurity rich oil like extra virgin olive. The more refined an oil is, the longer it lasts.

Is it a dark cupboard? Is it in plastic? Glass? Clear or dark? Is the cupboard warm? Has the bottle been opened?

Heat, light and air are all enemies of oil.

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/food-cooking-questions-discussion/15442-shelf-life-cooking-oil.html

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »
Also, if you've got a cow or goat you could always make your own butter...

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
Lard is made of rendered and clarified pork fat, which means high cholesterol content, but NO trans fatty acids. The quality of ward varies depending on the part of the pig from which it was rendered(the best is from around the kidneys call "leaf" lard. Processed lard has the longest shelf life-probably around 5 years if kept out of light and in a cool place(similar to olive oil). Lard makes the best pie crusts and biscuits you will ever eat! ;D Might be hard to find in the US right now because of all the negative publicity about any fats(which was totally proposterous). Price-wise, i am not sure, it may be cheaper to use hydrogenated fats(like crisco) and just replace every few years. just an old geezers .02. hope this helps. Phargolf

Browncoat

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
As a side note....

Store your EVOO in light-proof containers.  Light will degrade olive oil.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 09:11:07 PM »
Down here in TX lard is very easy to come by, in a variety of sizes. I don't personally know anyone who uses it, but it is right across from the products from Mexico (catering to the large immigrant population, I am guessing). I think it is still used in making homemade tamales in many cases...

I try not to use much shortening in my cooking, so most of the stored shortening I have is for a worst case scenario. I have seen in a couple of places that crisco has a very long shelf life (although I am wondering if it applies to the current packaging). It may well be that lard would be a better choice if the shelf life is similar to that of shortening and is (maybe) one step up on the "not quite as deadly for you" health scale. The lard I have seen in Walmart comes in big plastic buckets that would seem to be good for storage... probably better than the paper cans in which the shortening is sold.

I'll have to do a price check... may end up donating this stuff every year once the shelf life is out, but wouldn't be a bad thing to have just in case...

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »
If stored in sealed tins and kept cool, the lifetime of lard is quite a bit more than five years. To my understanding, it's more like 30-50 years.

Lard goes rancid from oxidation, and in the absence of oxygen, oxidation essentially stops.

Usually it's the rusting of a scratched can that kills tinned lard more than anything else.

I think the "consumer liability" mindset has a lot to do with the expiration dates attributed to many foods.

Wheat has been found in Egyptian tombs that was fresh enough to be easten and germinated after about 4000 years of storage.

That's quite a bit more than the 12-15 years quoted by many "authorities".

I think that if oil stocks are rotated with anything approaching regularity, the storage life essentially becomes moot and a person can just buy the type of oil they like, and worry not.

Offline SteveInTx

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 12:45:12 AM »

Wheat has been found in Egyptian tombs that was fresh enough to be easten and germinated after about 4000 years of storage.

Unfortunately this has been found to not be a true story.

Offline Fat_Man

• Prepper
  • Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 04:34:39 AM »
I appreciate all the replies. This really helps. I have a set it and forget it storage area and a rotation area (eat what you store, store what you eat). I wasn't sure which area I wanted to store some fat in. I think lard and Crisco can go in the set and forget it area, and have a good supply of other types of fats and oils in my rotation area. Muchas Gracias, everyone.

Offline chad234

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
High quality, rendered lard stored properly will last a very long time.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
If stored in sealed tins and kept cool, the lifetime of lard is quite a bit more than five years. To my understanding, it's more like 30-50 years.

Lard goes rancid from oxidation, and in the absence of oxygen, oxidation essentially stops.

Usually it's the rusting of a scratched can that kills tinned lard more than anything else.

I think the "consumer liability" mindset has a lot to do with the expiration dates attributed to many foods.

I think that if oil stocks are rotated with anything approaching regularity, the storage life essentially becomes moot and a person can just buy the type of oil they like, and worry not.
What is the source of your timetable on shelfllife of lard. I couldn't find anyone to give me an exact shelflife time. I'm probably just computer illiterate so any help you could provide is appreciated. phargolf

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 08:50:40 PM »
The fats we eat around here do not store well - butter, EVOO.  I refuse to eat "unnatural fats" - crisco, canola oil, etc.  yeah, I could store those in my LTS, but I follow the "eat what you store and store what you eat" philosophy for 2 reasons.  One is the ease of rotation - it is easier to rotate when you are eating it.  The other is knowing how to use it and your body being used to it.  Going to beans and whole wheat post-SHTF can do a number on your body if you do not eat them all the time.  Which is why I instituted a strict beans twice a week rule in our menu-making.  Applying this to oils, well, as I am discovering, oils react differently depending on the purpose for which you are using them.
I am trying to find a good frying oil, for fry bread or fried chicken tenders.  I have tried EVOO (bad idea), coconut oil (my favorite, but expensive), sunflower (very greasy), and corn (my body does not seem to tolerate corn oil well).  They all fry differently.
I have also been trying to find a good substitute for "vegetable oil" (soybean oil) in boxed brownies.  EVOO is overpowering, coconut leaves a slightly-vomit after taste, butter is too rich, corn tastes like corn, and applesauce makes it cake-like instead of gooey-brownie.

my point in this is that switching oils post SHTF could cause some learning curve issues if you have not been practicing.  and that could cause some waste, the last thing you want in that situation.  The vegetable oils I have looked at: "vegetable" oil (soy), sunflower, corn, canola all have shelf-lives of about 1 year.  if you buy enough to bring your total to a year's supply every 3 months, you should go through it in a timely fashion and always have a year's supply on hand.
Like I said, we have probably a good 6-7 year supply of EVOO right now.  I have heard that coconut oil, if stored properly, has a long shelf-life too.  That is on my list, but not, I think, until we have a gun and some training to go with it  :)
you can bottle butter and lard (not extension-center approved, but find some threads on it here) and store them on your shelves, if you dare.
my point is that you should not store something if you do not know how to use it effectively, and the only way to effectively learn that is to use it frequently.

Browncoat

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
LdMorgan has a good point.  Rancidity of fats and oils is due to oxygenation.  Store it so that no oxygen can get to it and you should be good to go.  Only one way to find out, right?  If it goes bad, you've lost nothing because you thought it was going to go bad anyway.  If it stays good, +1 for you.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »
The fats we eat around here do not store well - butter, EVOO.  I refuse to eat "unnatural fats" - crisco, canola oil, etc.  yeah, I could store those in my LTS, but I follow the "eat what you store and store what you eat" philosophy for 2 reasons.  One is the ease of rotation - it is easier to rotate when you are eating it.  The other is knowing how to use it and your body being used to it.  Going to beans and whole wheat post-SHTF can do a number on your body if you do not eat them all the time.  Which is why I instituted a strict beans twice a week rule in our menu-making.  Applying this to oils, well, as I am discovering, oils react differently depending on the purpose for which you are using them.
I am trying to find a good frying oil, for fry bread or fried chicken tenders.  I have tried EVOO (bad idea), coconut oil (my favorite, but expensive), sunflower (very greasy), and corn (my body does not seem to tolerate corn oil well).  They all fry differently.
I have also been trying to find a good substitute for "vegetable oil" (soybean oil) in boxed brownies.  EVOO is overpowering, coconut leaves a slightly-vomit after taste, butter is too rich, corn tastes like corn, and applesauce makes it cake-like instead of gooey-brownie.

Have you tried extra virgin olive oil? It's fantastic for frying in, and not greasy at all. I use it for frying pork chops, and they come out so flavorful that adding anything would be taking away.

Canola is a natural oil. Canola is a variety of rapeseed bread to produce less acid and low levels of glucosinolates (a toxin, but helps prevent cancer at subtoxic levels). It's very low in saturated fats. You can also burn it, and it makes a good lubricant for metal that comes into contact with water. The only thing I don't like about it is that I'm highly allergic to canola/rapeseed pollen.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »
The fats we eat around here do not store well - butter, EVOO.  I refuse to eat "unnatural fats" - crisco, canola oil, etc.  yeah, I could store those in my LTS, but I follow the "eat what you store and store what you eat" philosophy for 2 reasons.  One is the ease of rotation - it is easier to rotate when you are eating it.  The other is knowing how to use it and your body being used to it.  Going to beans and whole wheat post-SHTF can do a number on your body if you do not eat them all the time.  Which is why I instituted a strict beans twice a week rule in our menu-making.  Applying this to oils, well, as I am discovering, oils react differently depending on the purpose for which you are using them.
I am trying to find a good frying oil, for fry bread or fried chicken tenders.  I have tried EVOO (bad idea), coconut oil (my favorite, but expensive), sunflower (very greasy), and corn (my body does not seem to tolerate corn oil well).  They all fry differently.
I have also been trying to find a good substitute for "vegetable oil" (soybean oil) in boxed brownies.  EVOO is overpowering, coconut leaves a slightly-vomit after taste, butter is too rich, corn tastes like corn, and applesauce makes it cake-like instead of gooey-brownie.

my point in this is that switching oils post SHTF could cause some learning curve issues if you have not been practicing.  and that could cause some waste, the last thing you want in that situation.  The vegetable oils I have looked at: "vegetable" oil (soy), sunflower, corn, canola all have shelf-lives of about 1 year.  if you buy enough to bring your total to a year's supply every 3 months, you should go through it in a timely fashion and always have a year's supply on hand.
Like I said, we have probably a good 6-7 year supply of EVOO right now.  I have heard that coconut oil, if stored properly, has a long shelf-life too.  That is on my list, but not, I think, until we have a gun and some training to go with it  :)
you can bottle butter and lard (not extension-center approved, but find some threads on it here) and store them on your shelves, if you dare.
my point is that you should not store something if you do not know how to use it effectively, and the only way to effectively learn that is to use it frequently.

I hear peanut oil is very tasty for frying.   There was a french fry shack near my place that used to use peanut oil for the fries.  It gave the fries a slight peanutty aftertase but I liked it.

Also, like Mark said, I'm not sure why you say canola is unnatural.  However since canola is a Canadian invention Mark and I may be a little biased; it's use is quite commonly used around here.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »
I was able to buy 12 gal of EVOO (extra Virgin Olive Oil) in tin cans that supposedly have a shelf life of 15 years if unopened and in temp control climate.  I hope this is true cuz I am just about to open #2 and it has been 9 months.....

For me, I am adapting my recipes and eating to use olive oil and making butter if no Smart Balance around. I am watching what you guys say regard to shelf life. Interesting. Thank you so much for thread! So shelf life is 15 years Morning Sunshine? Interesting.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
Unfortunately this has been found to not be a true story.

Aaaarghhhh! You are absolutely right. Wheat is too thin-skinned for long viability.

Gonna have to start double-checking my sources--which I should have already been doing.

I suspect lot of what "everybody knows" jest ain't so...everybody being who they are, and all.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »
Aaaarghhhh! You are absolutely right. Wheat is too thin-skinned for long viability.

Gonna have to start double-checking my sources--which I should have already been doing.

I suspect lot of what "everybody knows" jest ain't so...everybody being who they are, and all.

Wait, hold on LdMorgan, If you find out something good........please tell us! I appreciate your investigation! Thanks!

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
Took a few minutes to see if I could find a reliable figure on the shelf life of lard. My 30-50 years figure was based on a single military reference dating back to WWII, and is probably highly debatable.

I never did find a solid reference. Just a lot of extraneous stuff.

I did find a really good link, tho, which says a lot about the importance of fats and oils in the diet.

I posted it under a thread called "The TEOTWAWKI Diet: Guts & Grease" over in the food preps section.

Here's the link, just to save the search time:

http://www.westonaprice.org/Guts-and-Grease-The-Diet-of-Native-Americans.html

Some of that sounds kind of...well...yummy!

(And some of it doesn't.)

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
    • Safecastle's Preparedness Buyers Club
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 08:00:34 AM »

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor