Author Topic: MRE's or Mountain house pouches  (Read 15065 times)

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
MRE's or Mountain house pouches
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:29:36 AM »
I'm working on a 72 hour family bug out  food bin of long term storables

This "kit" will be built around either MRE's or mountain house meals for 3 people for 72 hours

I have never had an MRE before and have heard a lot of rumors about them.  I'm looking for some input from you guys.

I've heard that some people have, to put it mildly bad "potty problems" when eating to many MRE's is there any truth to that?

Also I live not to far from Lunkers, a big outdoors man store that has an entire wall dedicated to mountain house so those I can sample, however i don't have a way to sample an MRE.  Any input on their taste?

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: MRE's or Mountain house pouches
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »
Both

Well maybe not,.. YMMV - and it's just an opinion.  The newer MREs seem better.  But if you've never had one,.. I would recommend that you order a sampling and try them.  You may find that they are not to your liking...  MH on the other hand is a good product (MREs are too but),...  I have both..  again with MH,..  get a sampling and see if you like them.  I find that some need a little extra help,.. but are otherwise good.

The last MREs I ordered came from Emergency Essentials, as did the MH so you can order both from one site and see.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:22 AM »
In my opinion MREs are definitely the way to go for your purpose (72 hours of food for 3 people).

MREs need no water or heat; Mountain House does.

MREs are complete meals: food, spoon, heat source, bag for heating up water for coffee, bag for mixing cold drinks, and napkin (you need those; your sleeve gets slimy quick). Everything you need.  MREs were designed specifically to be complete when there is nothing around to support eating.

MREs taste good.  Sure some things don't, but there are 24 different menus.  Most are good; I'd say 90% of the stuff is either good or decent.  In fact, I take MREs when I go shooting at the rifle range (it's out in the middle of now where).  I have a choice of either packing a lunch from home or eating at a restaurant on the way.  I actually prefer MREs.  (If I had to eat them for weeks on end, I would have a different view but you are looking at 72 hours.)  Here is a TSP thread on which MRE items taste good and bad:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=5204.0

MREs are cheap: about $5 or $6 each.  This might not be true where you live.  I live near Ft. Lewis and I can get a case (12 MREs) of authentic military MREs for $60 or $70.  Not sure mail-order ones are authentic or as cheap, plus there is no shipping since I pick them up.  This is one reason why I eat MREs when I go shooting: it's cheaper than fast food, better for me, and I usually save an individual packet or two and store them for later.  

MREs have lots of calories (1200 or so per meal).  You will be burning LOTS more calories in a bug out situation.  This is not a time to go on a diet if you can avoid it.  You can cut back on calories when you get to your BOL (you probably won't have a choice) but you can be well fed for the 72 period of getting to your BOL or waiting out the first 72 hours at your house.  

MREs have lots of individual pouches of things (an entree, side dish, crackers/bread/tortillas, spread, desert).  These individual pouches mean you can eat one thing for a minute, do something else (like guard your position), and then eat something else when you can.  For example, you can eat, say, cheese tortellini (pretty good) and then move.  You can put the crackers (they're good) and the peanut butter packet (good too) in your pocket and eat them when you can.  Same thing with the HooAH! bar (a military energy bar with lots of vitamins)--throw it in your cargo pants and eat it when you need the energy.  So you don't need to eat all the items at once, which is pretty key when you have to be on the move.  You can also share the individual packets without having to give away a whole meal.  You can trade them too.  Maybe someone in your group has diabetes.  The HooAH! bar would kill them but the peanut butter would be great.  Same with food allergies: trading is possible with lots of little packets.  Barter is also possible with the individual packets.

MREs are very nutritional for grab-n-go food.  Full of vitamins and planned to have a balance of protein, carbs, etc., because they have the individual packets.  I imagine Mountain House has plenty of vitamins too, but I doubt you get the protein, carbs, etc. balance when you're looking at Mountain House entre; MREs have a protein entre and a carb side dish.

MREs have variety: 24 menus like I said.  Here is a web site listing the menus and with tons of info on MREs: http://www.mreinfo.com/

Here is an example of menu 1 and 13 (taken at random):

Menu 1:

Chili w/Beans
Mexican Style Corn
Crackers
Jam (blackberry jam is fabulous)

Candy III (something commercial like Skittles or M&Ms)
Dairy shake (a milk shake in vanilla, choc or strawberry)
Red Pepper
Accessory Packet A
Spoon
Flameless Heater
Hot Beverage Bag

Menu 13 is:

Cheese Tortellini
Spiced Apples (surprisingly good)
HooAH! Bar
Peanut Butter, Chunky
Crackers
Candy I  (Skittles, etc.)
Sugar Free Beverage
Seasoning Blend
Accessory Packet C
Spoon
Flameless Heater
Hot Beverage Bag

As you can see from the menu list, MREs have all the seasonings, matches, etc.  If you don't need them, you can save them or chuck them.  You can "field strip" MREs down to the food packets and the spoon if you need to.

MREs last forever.  I'm sure there is internet debate about this, but I have military friends who have eaten 10 year old MREs and they're OK.  Texture and taste aren't 100% but they're OK (especially when you're hungry) and no one got sick.  Guys tell me "avoid MREs made in the 90s."  That's a pretty decent shelf life.  (Lots of MREs for sale now were made for the increase in demand from Iraq and Afghanistan; most I see were made in 2007.)  I know Mountain House lasts forever, so I guess the two are tied.  Maybe Mountain House lasts longer than 10 years, but you said you have a 72 hour use so MREs would last for years in your BOB.

MREs have comfort food like Skittles.  This could be a real morale boost if your family is terrified and eating otherwise unfamiliar food.

MREs come in a super tough outer bag that can be used to carry water short distances in a pinch.  The super tough outer bag allows you hide them outside since animals would have a hard time smelling their contents and chewing through the bag.  I'm sure it could happen, but the outer bag of a MRE is much tougher than Mountain House.

MRE cases come in a super tough cardboard box.  You can stack anything on top of them.  This is good for squirreling them away in a garage or something.  An MRE case is not fragile.

Considering your 72-hour use, there is no way to beat MREs in my opinion.

For long-term food, MREs are not the best solution.  They're relatively expensive if you have to buy lots of them.  Vacuum sealing staples like pancake mix and oatmeal (or both!) is best for medium term (months).  Gardening and hunting is best for long term (years).  Mountain House has a place in medium- and long-term storage too.  A nice supplement and variety.  In the medium- and long-term you would have a heat source, a pot and dishes, etc. so Mountain House would be good there.

MREs get a lot of bad raps.  I think they're one of the best things the military ever invented.

P.S. Here is a long-shot advantage for MREs, but one that comes to mind nonetheless.  MREs look like they were handed out by FEMA or the military.  Let's say things have broken down in your suburban neighborhood.  There is no FEMA or military help (duh, that's why we prep).  Your grasshopper neighbors who seemed so nice before SHTF now are looking for people (like you) who have food.  Let's say they find your MREs (maybe they see the empty bags-- don't let them see them but let's say they do).  You an claim FEMA handed them out a few days ago and they must have missed the nice FEMA people.  They might now you have food, but at least they won't know you're a "prepper," which after SHTF will be pronounced "hoarder who must die."  OK, the fact that MREs could be passed off as government handouts is a slight advantage but one nonetheless.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:16:08 AM »
Wow great write up

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
    • Safecastle's Preparedness Buyers Club
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:20:58 AM »
MREs or MH pouches? I'll take the alternative view to Heavy G. I sell both, though MH far, far outsells MREs.

Why is that? Well, the assumption is that you will have access to clean water. If you don't or won't, then yes, go with the MREs.

But if water is not to be an issue, then you need to look at how much space and weight you can allot to the foods. MREs are much heavier and take up a lot more space. More importantly, from most perspectives is shelf life and storage conditions. MH pouches are good for 7 years. MREs will be good for less time in similar storage conditions. MREs are particularly susceptible to warm storage conditions and/or fluctuations in storage temperatures. They can spoil in less than a year, in fact, if left in hot conditions.

Taste--MH wins, hands down, in the opinion of most.

Cost--calorie for calorie--pretty similar.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
Perhaps I should give more info on the purpose of this cache of food.

perhaps that would help both sides of the choice.

This cache of food is above and beyond whats in our BOB. and above and beyond our normal food stores.  It will also contain some adjunct stuff like canned kid friendly food and a few other treat like items as well as a backpack stove and supplies that are to bulky or cumbersome for a BOB.

A scenario that it could be used in (not an event i'm designing it for just an example)

Not far from here is cook nuclear plant and benton harbor.  an area that has a high population of people that have no problems looting and rioting when a criminal kills themselves running from the police (an event i've already had to deal with).  A few blocks away from my house is the fallout evacuation point for cook nuclear plant.  In the case of a radiation leak 10's of thousands of people will be flooding to my town and in that situation i Would rather take an extended bug out or an extended shelter in place. just for the saftey of my family.  Having this bundle prepared would make this feasible, or just simply give me a higher sense of security.  This combined with our bobs and our normal store could easily take us a couple of months of just sitting on our butts playing our wii's or a full week out of the area.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »
Have you considered a Make Your Own?

A bunch of dehydrated jerky, apple slices, orange slices, etc thrown into a mylar bag might be what you're looking for. I'm toying with the idea right now for a BOB kit, too.  

I have had plenty of the Mountain House packs when I backpack. They are hearty, usually quite good, and their shelf life is commendable. They do require that you boil water, which means you're likely going to need water AND be stationary while you eat for the time it takes to boil water.

I have no experience with MREs. Heavy G's write up is awesome. The only downside I see is the temperature sensitivity. So, if you're willing to rotate in fresh stock occasionally and eat the rotated out MREs, it may not be suitable if you're hoping for a low maintenance BOB.

I'm thinking a couple ziplock bags with some dehydrated fruit, dehydated veggies, some jerky, and some rice, all inserted into a mylar bag (with O2 absorbers in each ziplock and 1 in the mylar bag as an "overall", and impulse sealed shut) might make a makeshift dehydrated MRE. You could eat the fruit and jerky without rehydrating it easily, and if you have the time can rehydrate all of it with hot water and make a right, proper meal.

Whatcha guys think?

D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:59:07 AM by donaldj »

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »
I do need to correct the comment about MH requiring boiling water. Boiled water does help speed the rehydration process. However, the food in MH pouches is precooked. Any water, any temperature will get the job done.

Yep, hot food tastes better, but in the case of the precooked MH pouches, it is not required.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »
Wow great write up

See why we keep Heavy around  ;D

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
Have you considered a Make Your Own?

I thought about it but want to stick with packaged commercial meals for a variety of reasons.  Such as tested shelf life as this stuff wont be roated often, known nutritional value.  and in case I need to help out a neighbor.  I'd rather give them those then our pantry food.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
Yep, hot food tastes better, but in the case of the precooked MH pouches, it is not required.

a question.  how much water is required?  on a randomly selected meal

Offline Ironhead

• Prepper
    • TSP Chat
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »
how much water is required?

that depends on the number of servings. i think that all they make are servings for 1, 2 or 4 and 1 cup of water per serving is standard. (e.g. a 2.25oz. breakfast for one requires 1 cup of water and a 9oz. entrée for four requires 4 cups of water). they make entrées, side dishes, breakfasts and desserts.

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
a question.  how much water is required?  on a randomly selected meal

Anywhere from 1/2 cup to 2 cups in the pouched MH foods.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
so anywhere from 4.5 to 18 cups a day. of water per day, + drinking water.  That would make taking the water to hydrate with us difficult for my wife.  but after talking with her she is uncomfortable with the idea of MRE's  thinks its to "millitary" so i'm running to lunkers on my way into work to pick up a few samples and i'm looking to get a few mre's for her to try. 

and don't worry if i like them i'll order them from you as your prices are better then retail

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
after thinking about it some more. 

Because of traveling with the water may be an issue i've decided to split the diffrence and go with part mountain house and part MRE.  This will give me a selection of just gotta eat meals and some other that may be more palatable for children and the wife.

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »
but after talking with her she is uncomfortable with the idea of MRE's  thinks its to "military". 

Are you KIDDING me??  She thinks they're too "Military"?  WOW, I thought this was a Prepper's board, not a Prima Donna board?  You better be glad that WE ex-Military and that the guys that live on them day in and day out in the AOR have proven they are what you need to live on.  You should be glad you are not asking this question 23 years ago when I first joined the military because they REALLY sucked then.  Now they are like gourmet meals.  If you are having to travel 72hrs, where are you going to store all the water you need to prepare the MH?  Where are you gonna heat your water, the side of the road, while others are all fighting to get out of Dodge?  "Oh hey, look at that family boiling water over there, they must have food.  Let's go steal it from them... AND KILL THEM!!".  I think you need to get your wife (and yourself in the right mindset here Bub).  You are bugging out.  You don't have time to be sitting around, having a nice little MH family dinner, it's eat on the run like Heavy G stated.  If your BOV takes a crap halfway to your BOL, are you going to be able to lug all that water to reheat your MH?  NO!!  MRE's are sized for packing in your bag and even better, like Heavy said, you can break them down ever further to displace weight, decide what you want and what you can ditch, ect.  "Uncomfortable with the idea"... I hope she isn't too comfortable about hordes of starving survivors coming after her for her food, trying to kill her for that MH Beef Stew she's heating up.  Might as well just shoot yourself the first day if you're "uncomfortable".  I'll bet those people in Haiti aren't too picky on what they'll eat right now.  "This will give me a selection of just gotta eat meals and some other that may be more palatable for children and the wife."  You guys are in the wrong state of mind... It's about surviving... use the salt and the Tabasco in the MRE and eat your damn dinner.  Some people need to rethink Prepping and just thinking about walking towards the mushroom cloud. 

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »
Go easy on evilphish.  He's asking the right questions.  My wife gave me shit for getting a case of MREs (for "hunting" I told her).  She has no idea how many cases we have in our garage or the even more at our BOL (that I call the "cabin").  When SHTF, she's gonna be jonesin' for a MRE.  She has the luxury here in peace time of krinkling up her nose at something she's never tried before.  But--and this is the key--that krinkled up nose isn't deterring me from doing what I need to do, which is have preps like MREs in two places.  She'll thank me later.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »
Are you KIDDING me??  She thinks they're too "Military"?  WOW, I thought this was a Prepper's board, not a Prima Donna board?  You better be glad that WE ex-Military and that the guys that live on them day in and day out in the AOR have proven they are what you need to live on.  You should be glad you are not asking this question 23 years ago when I first joined the military because they REALLY sucked then.  Now they are like gourmet meals.  If you are having to travel 72hrs, where are you going to store all the water you need to prepare the MH?  Where are you gonna heat your water, the side of the road, while others are all fighting to get out of Dodge?  "Oh hey, look at that family boiling water over there, they must have food.  Let's go steal it from them... AND KILL THEM!!".  I think you need to get your wife (and yourself in the right mindset here Bub).  You are bugging out.  You don't have time to be sitting around, having a nice little MH family dinner, it's eat on the run like Heavy G stated.  If your BOV takes a crap halfway to your BOL, are you going to be able to lug all that water to reheat your MH?  NO!!  MRE's are sized for packing in your bag and even better, like Heavy said, you can break them down ever further to displace weight, decide what you want and what you can ditch, ect.  "Uncomfortable with the idea"... I hope she isn't too comfortable about hordes of starving survivors coming after her for her food, trying to kill her for that MH Beef Stew she's heating up.  Might as well just shoot yourself the first day if you're "uncomfortable".  I'll bet those people in Haiti aren't too picky on what they'll eat right now.  "This will give me a selection of just gotta eat meals and some other that may be more palatable for children and the wife."  You guys are in the wrong state of mind... It's about surviving... use the salt and the Tabasco in the MRE and eat your damn dinner.  Some people need to rethink Prepping and just thinking about walking towards the mushroom cloud.  

wow what an inapropriate post for this question.

you obviously don't have a 2 year old and a pregnant wife that has NO camping expierancie and 30+ years of left wing propaganda to deal with.  i'm in the same figgin boat as heavy G (only a slightly on baord wife)  so please only submit usefull info or shut your trap.  i'm trying to keep my family alive togther and usable.

My wife and I are Equals.  she is not some slot that follows me around and does what I tell her to do  She is my WIFE my PARTNER.  she has as much say in our day to day activitives as anybody.  That inclues everything from dealing with our childs hearing imparement (i.e. our kid is deaf) to what we have for dinner

I'm trying to set something up that she can understand and handle and you leave a comment like this.  do you realy want to be a part of this community?  she has grown up with people she respects telling her certain types of things are bad, you think I can change that overnight?

god lord man put yourself in my shoes for a friggin second.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 04:10:19 PM »
+1 for evilphish for being much more polite than I would have been.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 05:39:49 PM »
+1 for evilphish for being much more polite than I would have been.

actually I wasn't very polite.  I apologize for my comment.  Peacekeeper please understand my wife is very new to this lifestyle, and I do not appreciate people that don't have patience for people that are new to this.  and as a husband I will not tolerate somebody insulting my wife.  period.

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
wow what an inapropriate post for this question.

you obviously don't have a 2 year old and a pregnant wife that has NO camping expierancie and 30+ years of left wing propaganda to deal with.  i'm in the same figgin boat as heavy G (only a slightly on baord wife)  so please only submit usefull info or shut your trap.  i'm trying to keep my family alive togther and usable.

My wife and I are Equals.  she is not some slot that follows me around and does what I tell her to do  She is my WIFE my PARTNER.  she has as much say in our day to day activitives as anybody.  That inclues everything from dealing with our childs hearing imparement (i.e. our kid is deaf) to what we have for dinner

I'm trying to set something up that she can understand and handle and you leave a comment like this.  do you realy want to be a part of this community?  she has grown up with people she respects telling her certain types of things are bad, you think I can change that overnight?

god lord man put yourself in my shoes for a friggin second.

I was trying to be Real not offensive.  Inappropiate is calling my wife a "slot" or for that matter, any other female one.   Now that's just uncalled for.  My wife happens to be the daughter of a Vietnam Vet who has been prepping for years and when I met her, she was shocked she met someone in the same mindset as her father.  She HATES camping, she IS a Prima Donna BUT... she sees how this country and world are and is not blind to it.  She will do what is required of her to make sure her three children survive.  She gets irked with my prepping sometimes but she knows it's for the good of our family.  I'm glad you two have a great and equal partnership but you also both need to know that sometime you don't have time to discuss things in a committee.  Someone needs to take the lead, be the General, whatever you want to call it.  If I say to my wife "GET DOWN" she better not be wanting to discuss it, she better get her pretty little head in the dirt. If I tell her to "move out" she better say "Aye Aye" and get marching.  There is a time for being equal and a time for one to take the lead.  You have to decide if you want to live or if you want to die.  Maybe you and your wife should have this discussion or like I said before, point her towards the mushroom cloud and you take the kids the other way.  

I will admit I am new to Prepping but I am not new to Survival.  I have eaten MRE's for a month at a time, shoot... 3 months and you either eat it or die.  To answer your "poop" question the old ones would stop you up for days, the new ones have hot sauce and help things along.  I have never had any runs from them if that's what you're worried about.  But then again I feel you don't value you my opinions so take that for what it is.  In Dec of 1989, I was in the Philippines, TDY to Fort Bonafacio when it was over run by rebel forces during a Coup attempt against Corazon Aquino and her socialist "Gubment".  The Loyalist forces had the base surrounded, we were told by the rebels, our fight is not against America, it's against our country.  We were permitted to keep our weapons and advised by the rebels if Aquinos troop's started firing into the base, that we might want to fire back.  To make a long story short, we ate nothing but ramien and these gross Vienna type sausages for days.  You eat what you have or die.  We were "Liberated" soon after and I haven't eaten ramien or Vienna sausages since but you know what?  I am still alive, and if that was all that was available, you're damn right I would eat them again.   I have a Mango story but I'll save that for another time.

I have a 15 month old who is a picky eater.  If it came down to it, I am sure she will eat whatever is given to her if she is hungry.  On that note, for a 72hr bag and Bugging Out with infants, I am sure we wouldn't be worrying about feeding her an MRE, we'll have baby food, oatmeal (which mixes fine in hot or cold water or condensed milk).  We would be bringing granola bars, cheese and crackers and other little things she likes.  I also have a 5 and 7 year old.  Again, I know about picky eaters.  As for them, they are used to either eating what's on their plates or going hungry. We DON'T give them an option because when TSHTF they wont have a choice.  They get what we make or else.  If you wanna coddle your young family that's your business but I wont mine.  I was one of those kids who never ate his vegetables.  Until I was 38 years old, there wasn't much I would eat other than potato's and corn.  My wife, the aforementioned "slot", was the one that got me eating vegetables.  Now I am looking forward to planting our first garden as now I know what I was missing.

I can't wear your shoes because for one, not many people wear a 13EEE and for two, I don't know much about you.  I am going to take a stab that you got the idea to prep from maybe watching Glenn Beck talk about the Survival Seed bank.  I am pretty sure since you've never eaten an MRE that you never served which isn't meant to insult you or anyone else.  You don't have to serve to have the right mindset but it does help.  We are all here to help each other but you have to be willing to do what needs to be done, both of you, if you want to survive.  No sense one person doing it and having to drag the other along kicking and screaming.  That just gets all four of you dead.  Remember in Deep Impact, when the girl wouldn't leave her parents... she would rather stay with her parents and die than try to save her baby sister.  Luckily her parents got her to go.  You need to convince your wife that it's you and those precious kids.  Not her sister, not her parents, it's you four.  If you can help those others fine but the four of you are the main priority.  

Finally, on the "do you really want to be a part of this community?"  Was that a threat to get me thrown off the boards?  I don't think my post was a Flame in anyway at all but if you have "The Power" to get me thrown off, do what you think is best.  My mission here has been completed.  I caught back up with an old friend I didn't even know was on here, I met a few "Likeminded" folks who are in my area and I learned some things and hopefully taught some things.  I hope to be able to add and take more from these boards but if I offended you, so be it. Get Real or get dead.  Like my old Lt said in Korea, "You'll call a baby ugly, won't ya Sarge?"  Yep... I will if it saves lives.

One that note, Peacekeeper, Out.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:39:41 PM by Peacekeeper1029 »

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »
Thank you for your insight.  If you have anything to add please PM me. 

-Evilphish

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 08:37:05 PM »
actually I wasn't very polite.  I apologize for my comment.  Peacekeeper please understand my wife is very new to this lifestyle, and I do not appreciate people that don't have patience for people that are new to this.  and as a husband I will not tolerate somebody insulting my wife.  period.

I don't accept the apology because none was really needed, you were doing what you think was right and trying to "protect" your family.  Thing was you missread what I was saying and jumped to a belligerent stance.  I wasn't trying to insult your wife, I was trying to be Real.  That's what we're all here for, to protect our family and to be Real.  Just in the future, I would stand back and think about what the person is trying to get across before you jump the gun and think they are dogging you, cause I wasn't.     

My old friend emailed me offline and advised me to tone it down, it will scare away some of you if I am too hard.  I hope to hell not.  I hope we are here because we are all trying to be strong and do what it will take to help our families survive when TSHTF or worse TEOTWAWKI .  But on that note, we do need to be hard and not be so touchy-feeley.  Those of us on here already have a big head start over the sheeple and we need all the like-minded friends we can get to rebuild if the day ever comes. 

Let's be friends Phish and maybe some day our little girls can play with each other at Disney World instead of having to fight over a packet of MRE peanut butter (which getting back to the main topic is pretty damn tasty).

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
Peacekeeper and evilphish: I think everyone is cool now.

TSP is different than most internet forums.  No yelling (except at assclown politicians.)  We will keep it that way.

Now, back to the topic at hand: MREs or Mountain House.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:48 PM »
Peace,  

as far as i'm concrened, we are just two schools, with diffrent situations, looking for the same goal.

no bad blood on my end and no grudge.  just read things wrong, anybody ever screws with you, feel free to call on me to fix it.

even though you dont' think an apolgoy is needed, I do.  I did not know about your deployment status.  If i had I would have not have been so hard in my reponse.  I love what you do, and wish i could be at your side.  

my wife may be new to this, but she isn't ignorant.  

This man, is her maid of honors brother, and she was his little sisters maid of honor

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/79842807.html

Just please understand that some of us need your insight for real reasons.  We all have to start somewhere.  

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »
Truce accepted my Brother and much condolances on your friend.  Too many friends have been lost.  Nice to make another.  Your wife sounds like my wife.  My recipe for her and this is what worked on mine.  3hrs a day of Glenn Beck, at least 1hr of that should be his TV show, 2 hrs on the radio.  Follow that up with at least an hour of each of the following: Andrew Wilkow, Mark Levin and maybe some Hannity.  Laura Ingraham or Rush can be substituted but I both of those two kinda have gotten old.

Now back to MRE's for your 72hr BOB.  Yes.  That's what you want.  Save the Mountain House for Home... or should I say the BOL.  Like I said, the military CAN'T be wrong.  OK, we can but not on MRE's.  Just stay away from the burrito variations.  Nasty.  Even the Tabasco doesn't make it edible.  Anything with Beef is pretty good, the best are the Chicken with Rice (which may have been phased out) and Chicken with noodles.  The Chili is to die and if you can con your buddies out of their extra hot sauce and add some extra crackers, it's even better and don't forget to add some cheese to it.  Cheese packets are like gold and mixed in with various entrees they really give it some kick, especially the Cheese with Jalapenos, Mmmmmmm.  If you can find Ham Slices, they are my favorite.  It's sorta Spammy, but I loves it.  Just tell the wife they are hopefully for only 72 hrs, they have what you need to live plus some and when you get to the BOL, you'll whip her up a Mountain House Omelet and hashbrowns.   

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »
evilphish:

I thought of  you and Mrs. evilphish yesterday when my 14-year old tried an MRE and LOVED it.  Here's a cut-n-paste from "What did you do today to prep" where I talk about going to the BOL with my daughter:

The coolest thing was my daughter tried an MRE (penne pasta) and LOVED it.  She thinks they're totally cool.  All those individual packets of food and they taste good.  "The little gums are cute" my daughter said.  ...  Here is a picture of my daughter smearing peanut butter on "those nummy crackers":

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »
MRE's all the way.  I have eaten my fair share, I spent more time in the field with them (I was a 31FV4 and 31M, comms operator) than in garrison during my tour in  and know all the little tricks to making them almost gourmet.  (Rehydrate that Beef patty in coffee rather than water, you'll swear it taste like Angus beef LOL).

All the other good points have been covered so I wont repeat, (Individual packets being a key one of mine, always came out of the field with cargo pockets full of crackers, coffee and tabasco :) ). 

Best thing in the world you can do is get a 1/2 case and let the family play and eat with them.  Experience is the best "Tell" of how someone will react, and its been my experience that most kids (I haven't met a boy yet who doesn't think MRE's aren't the coolest thing since gameboys) love em.

The other thing is, i'd throw them in anyway, even if someone says they don't like them or don't want anything to do with them, as long as they are in the gear, when the time comes, they are available and thats what matters.  I'm not picky, i'll eat anything (My bro will vouch for that), but I don't expect anyone else to be that way, but when your cold, wet, tired and hungry, those MRE Crackers and Peanut butter are as good as steak and lobster.   

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 12:00:30 PM »
I have found Mountain House meals to be more satisfying, but more time consuming. If you practice building wind breaks and you get a good stove and pot (maybe a volcano bottle), you can cut down on the prep time.

MRE's taste like cat food, but are quick to prepare. Usually, though, if I'm miserable and cold and wet and doing hard work, I don't worry so much about flavor. The satisfaction comes from just having a warm meal. Taste is secondary.

Power bars don't fill me up, and they don't satisfy me.

MRE's are also much bulkier, because the air in the package protects the contents. Mountain House meals are more compact, and you can carry more meals. I think they're lighter too.

I've stored and backpacked and searched and rescued with both. I started out with MRE's from the army surplus store, then switched to Mountain House meals so I could carry more with less weight. Now I am starting to shift back to the convenience of MRE's.

Offline livingmydream

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »
WOW.  ;D
How about putting together a kit with some MRE's and some MH? That's a good compromise I think. Along with other snacks for small children as well. And yes, my son thinks MRE's are "grown up lunchables!" He loves them, I prefer MH, but in a serious situation it really doesn't matter.