Author Topic: My 2M Yaesu Set Up in My Cherokee (Updated With Wiring Pics)  (Read 23681 times)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
My 2M Yaesu Set Up in My Cherokee (Updated With Wiring Pics)
« on: November 28, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
I've actually moved my last post from 5 Things You Didn't Know Your Cell Phone Could Do in light of the turn the thread has taken.  You can check out the original thread if you want to see how it all started.  I thought The Communications forum was a better place for this instead of continually hijacking the other thread.

It can be problematic to mount a radio in a Jeep Cherokee because the bastards that designed it didn't allow for much extra space in the front of it.  This is how I overcame the obstacle.

I have an old Johnson in my Jeep Cherokee. Still trying to find a good place to put it since when they designed the Jeep, they did not have CBs or people who drink in mind. There seems to be no room for a CB setup or cupholders...  >:(
There's plenty of room, check out the pics.  An old Johnson is probably bigger than the Yaesu I have, but the same principle applies.

That's pretty cool! Convenient.  Do you have any trouble with leaks? Where is your antenna?
Would a CB antenna interfer with the Ham?
It is convenient, I have it angled slightly towards the driver's seat so I can see the display clearly.  No leaks, there is a support rib that runs across the top about 4" or so back from the windshield.  If you push on the headliner you can tell the difference in feel.  Most vehicles have this, check yours.  I held the bracket up & drilled a couple of small pilot holes after I decided where would allow me the best view & keep it up out of the line of my sight.  After I enlarged the mounting holes I installed the bracket with the provided mounting screws & washers.

I removed the plastic trim from the front to the back down the driver's side & routed my antenna cable down under the headliner.  The wiring harness, which I had to lengthen, I ran thru flexible wire conduit & zip-tied to permanent structures under the hood.  If you go this route remember to avoid any electrical components that could possibly cause interference or a whine thru your speaker.

Here are the pictures.
Out of the line of sight from passersby.

Antenna cable routing down under weatherstripping & under plastic trim.

Bracket mounting location.  Angled slightly toward the primary user, in this case me, the driver.

Wiring harness tucked under the headliner

Finished product.  It's rock solid, not so much as a wiggle, so no fears about the thing coming down on my head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***ETA Wire Routing Pictures*** 11/30/08

Battery Termination

Fuses

The green is the flexible wire conduit containing the wiring.  It's zip-tied to existing structures to prevent shifting/possible damage.

Going around the brake system master cylinder & down thru the existing hole in the firewall.

From the inside.

Routing up & under the inner trim pieces.

Up the post & across to the radio location.

Termination at the radio end.

Any other questions, just let me know.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:29:02 AM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline TexSquirrel

• Survivor
  • Native Texan
Re: My 2M Yaesu Set Up in My Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:32:06 PM »
Cool install.
Is the bracket attached to sheet metal, or just to the headliner?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 05:43:06 PM »
Cool install.
Is the bracket attached to sheet metal, or just to the headliner?
The bracket is screwed in to a support rib under the headliner.  

The Cherokee has several support ribs that run across the top & under the actual roof.  There's about 1" of depth to them before you would actually hit the sheet metal of the roof.  It's plenty of room to affix the bracket to, especially since you're using the flat washer & a lock washer that are supplied with the bracket & sheet metal screws.  It all came with the radio so I just used what was supplied.  

If one was worried about puncturing the roof you could go buy some shorter sheet metal screws than what's supplied with the mounting bracket, but I found it wasn't necessary.  Obviously it's wise to see what's under the headliner of whatever particular vehicle you're driving, it may be different than the Cherokee, ;) & I don't want to be the cause of rain on your head.

HERE'S the complete write up I did back in September on Zombie Squad about mounting a 2M in my Cherokee.  Just scroll down a bit & you'll see it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:00:47 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:17:26 PM »
I may have to go back to that article to see how you did it. Your Jeep is in much better shape than mine. The previous owner didn't take care of it as well as he should of. What I am not paying in car payments it seems I am paying in upkeep. Yeah, the Johnson is much bigger, but it was laying around the house at my mom's not being used so I thought...why not? My stepfather rigged the power to go through the lighter jack and it is currently sitting above the emergency brake. He has the antenna going through the back to about where you have it, except it is not under the rubber, and it comes out from the side instead of the top.

I have a question though and really didn't think about it until my mom mentioned it. Do you take your antenna down every so often when you are out? Are there that many people out there who would try to cut the chord to the antenna and try to steal it? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted your input on it. Just seems like a big inconvience to take it down and put it up all the time.

When I make it more permanent I will take your suggestions off of this. Seems like you have it all nice and neat!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »
I have a question though and really didn't think about it until my mom mentioned it. Do you take your antenna down every so often when you are out? Are there that many people out there who would try to cut the chord to the antenna and try to steal it? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted your input on it. Just seems like a big inconvience to take it down and put it up all the time.

When I make it more permanent I will take your suggestions off of this. Seems like you have it all nice and neat!
No, I don't ever take it down.  I'm not really worried about someone stealing it.  If they do an antenna isn't that expensive to replace.  Pulling all the inside trim down again would be the PITA.

I mounted it like that because I spend quite a bit of time in the woods on some property I lease & there aren't any decent roads.  As a result I spend a lot of time busting thru brush & running my Jeep under tree limbs.  I mounted it with enough slack that if I hit something hard enough it'll knock the antenna loose but won't damage it.  It'll just fall to the back of the Jeep.  I didn't leave enough slack however, that it can come down and smack my back window.  Busted glass is expensive these days. ;)

I could have mounted a permanent antenna I suppose, but the thought of actually drilling a hole into the top of my Jeep wasn't really a consideration for me.  I try to avoid doing potential permanent damage.  The three small holes in the headliner can be made almost invisible with a minimum amount of work, & I figure that if someone wants to buy my 11 year old Jeep, they aren't going to care about something like that.  A hole in the roof is a different matter though.

My Cherokee's paid off too BTW.  Great feeling!

jeremya

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »
DeltaEchoVictor,

How did you run the electrical? To the lighter or to the battery?

Anyone know if you can have a radio install place just do like a power drop? I am not so handy with cars...  :-\

-- Jeremy

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 12:14:56 AM »
DeltaEchoVictor,

Anyone know if you can have a radio install place just do like a power drop? I am not so handy with cars...  :-\

-- Jeremy
From the battery.  You need a constant power source that won't surge.  That's not to say that it will never happen, but you mitigate the possibilities by going off the main power source.  There are in line fuses on the wiring harness in case something goes horribly wrong. ;D

FWIW, the lighter or a power receptacle isn't really a good option IMHO....I know...I know, people do it.  It's not the best option though.

If you want me to show you what's under the hood, & how I ran the wire just let me know.  I'll get some pics tomorrow & show you how I did it. 

jeremya

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 12:28:04 AM »
Yeah I have heard some people say they've had good luck with power from the lighter... some get a lot of noise.

I really want to get a rig like this set up in my car at some point.

I look forward to seeing the pics!

-- Jeremy

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »
Mine would definitely be on the 'Makes lots of noise' but I noticed it is when I am near electrical equipment like large lights and such. When I am away from such equipment it isn't that bad on noise. My Johnson CB is old though so I am not sure how well it really works. It is also big and bulky. It was free though so I won't complain. The antenna on the otherhand was about 60 bucks. I probably didn't need something like that but the radio guy fixed my CB for free and I felt that it was only right for me to buy something from him to make up for it in my opinion.

Please show us how you ran it through your Jeep. I may be attempting this pretty soon. Might want to stand by with a defibilator and CPR mask.  ;)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »
Mine would definitely be on the 'Makes lots of noise' but I noticed it is when I am near electrical equipment like large lights and such. When I am away from such equipment it isn't that bad on noise. My Johnson CB is old though so I am not sure how well it really works. It is also big and bulky. It was free though so I won't complain. The antenna on the otherhand was about 60 bucks. I probably didn't need something like that but the radio guy fixed my CB for free and I felt that it was only right for me to buy something from him to make up for it in my opinion.

Please show us how you ran it through your Jeep. I may be attempting this pretty soon. Might want to stand by with a defibilator and CPR mask.  ;)
LOL..okay.  I'll take pics of the under the hood part tomorrow. 

I got side tracked refinishing an old recurve today, sorry.  I'm easily distracted.... ::)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »
DeltaEchoVictor,

-- Jeremy
From the battery.  You need a constant power source that won't surge.  That's not to say that it will never happen, but you mitigate the possibilities by going off the main power source.  There are in line fuses on the wiring harness in case something goes horribly wrong. ;D

FWIW, the lighter or a power receptacle isn't really a good option IMHO....I know...I know, people do it.  It's not the best option though.

If you want me to show you what's under the hood, & how I ran the wire just let me know.  I'll get some pics tomorrow & show you how I did it. 

I have one that plugs into the lighter and so far no problems, although I'm not the best resource. In high school me and a buddy wired up his car stereo, later that day the fire department was hosing the car down...lol

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »
DeltaEchoVictor,

-- Jeremy

I have one that plugs into the lighter and so far no problems, although I'm not the best resource. In high school me and a buddy wired up his car stereo, later that day the fire department was hosing the car down...lol
LOL...I can't say much.

I had one burn in front of the Auto Zone here in town. ::)

Offline docred

• Prepper
Re: My 2M Yaesu Set Up in My Cherokee (Updated With Wiring Pics)
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:35:15 AM »
D E V -

thanks for sharing a great and clean install. Very HamSexy (in a good way).

I am really interested in taking the paneling down to run the cables. I would assume this is similar on most vehicles.

How big of a PITA was that?
What kind of time can I expect on my first effort?
Where did you get the tubing to protect your wiring?

thanks!

Tim

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 02:28:35 AM »
D E V -

thanks for sharing a great and clean install. Very HamSexy (in a good way).

I am really interested in taking the paneling down to run the cables. I would assume this is similar on most vehicles.

How big of a PITA was that?

thanks!

Tim
Hey Tim,

Thanks for the kind words.

Taking the paneling down was a PITA, but for the Cherokee it's not really that bad.  Depending on how tight/gritty the screws are they can give you a little trouble.  I've done vehicles that were worse.  After reviewing my procedure a couple of times & thinking about it, I think taking all the panels off one side may be unnecessary.  If you're going to try this install, & you should, it's pretty simple as far as installs go.  Do the following instead...

Take off one side of the paneling in the back at the hatch, either side...whichever side you decide to mount your antenna on & use something rigid that is at least as long as the distance from the rear of the vehicle to the windshield.  A tape measure or drain snake would probably work nicely.  They are both flat & shouldn't damage the underneath of the headliner (the side against your roof).  Attach some cord...twine, paracord, string, whatever & use your tape measure or drain snake to run the cord from one end of the vehicle to the other underneath your headliner.  Go easy, don't force it.  You don't want to damage your headliner.  There shouldn't be anything to impede the procedure.

Once you've run your pull cord from one end to the other, attach your antenna cable using electricians tape (it's easy to remove) to your pull cord that you ran & completely wrap the end of your antenna cable to protect the connector & pull it thru under the headliner to the front of the vehicle.  Doing it this way should eliminate the need to remove all the trim panels down one side from front to back.

When you run your power cable you'll still have to remove the trim panel on the door/windshield post to come up & across the windshield.  It's a pretty easy process though, so no worries. 

All told it probably took me about an hour & half to two hours (just guessing), I didn't really pay much attention because I like doing this stuff.  It's fun for me & I tend to get lost in the process & the tweaking. 

I found mine at my local auto parts store I believe.  You can usually find it at Walmart as well.  I think it's called flexible wire conduit, or something similar.  The auto parts guys will be able to hook you up if you describe what it's for.  It's split down one side to facilitate routing the wiring thru it.

If you have any other questions or need clarifications just let me know & I'll do my best to help.

Shane

Offline docred

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 02:42:36 AM »
OK sounds great. Will  be a few months before I will be doing an install on the new wheels, but I will be sure to share.

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »
Nice Install DEV :) Love the overhead mounting! +1 for a great picumentary :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:32:12 PM by Zombie Axe »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 04:11:16 AM »
Nice Install DEV :) Love the overhead mounting! +1 for a great picumentary :)
Thanks very much!

djturnz

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 08:36:36 AM »
The install looks good.  That is pretty much how I did my wife's SIRIUS radio in her GMC Jimmy, except I didn't go all the way to the hatch.

I used to have a CB in my Extended Cab Dakota, and I put the Antenna (magnetic mount, about 4'tall) in the bed.  I didn't care for the roof mounted look.  Now I have a RAM 1500 and I still don't want to go to the roof with it.  I think roof mount looks good on a Cherokee, but not on a pick up.  My problem is, I have a soft tonneau cover on my RAM so putting it in the bed is no go.  I was thinking of making a bracket to mount at the bottom of the bed where the gap is between the cab and the bed.  Then running the antenna up through that gap.  I would probably get a more rigid antenna and not use the thin whip I have now.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or alternatives?

MODS, if this is too much of a hi-jack, please move it to where ever you see fit.

Coyote

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 04:14:21 AM »
Nice install.  I have the antenna / power cable set up in my YJ but haven't found a good place to put the rig yet where I can reach the controls.  Really like the overhead mounting...can't do it in my Jeep with the rag top.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 04:59:34 AM »
Nice install.  I have the antenna / power cable set up in my YJ but haven't found a good place to put the rig yet where I can reach the controls.  Really like the overhead mounting...can't do it in my Jeep with the rag top.
Thanks.

Yeah an over head install in a YJ would be problematic.  Last YJ I owned was in '98 & I haven't checked out the inside of one lately to be able to give you any advice.  What I would suggest though is maybe taking a look at some of the after market consoles that are available that will hold a radio.  Some are even lockable.  You may have to mount a speaker somewhere as I'm not sure how well you'd be able to hear out of the speaker on the radio. 

I actually considered going that route with my Cherokee but I couldn't find one that I REALLY liked.  Seemed like there were compromises that had to be made between a couple of models.  But it never hurts to look & you may find one that you like.

The install looks good.  That is pretty much how I did my wife's SIRIUS radio in her GMC Jimmy, except I didn't go all the way to the hatch.

I used to have a CB in my Extended Cab Dakota, and I put the Antenna (magnetic mount, about 4'tall) in the bed.  I didn't care for the roof mounted look.  Now I have a RAM 1500 and I still don't want to go to the roof with it.  I think roof mount looks good on a Cherokee, but not on a pick up.  My problem is, I have a soft tonneau cover on my RAM so putting it in the bed is no go.  I was thinking of making a bracket to mount at the bottom of the bed where the gap is between the cab and the bed.  Then running the antenna up through that gap.  I would probably get a more rigid antenna and not use the thin whip I have now.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or alternatives?

MODS, if this is too much of a hi-jack, please move it to where ever you see fit.
If you're mounting a CB antenna I'd say you'll be fine doing it that way.  Higher is obviously better because radios operate on line of sight, but as always a compromise usually has to be struck.  There are some after market brackets available that utilize the bed light cover to mount an antenna.  (I can't find the link now, thought I had it bookmarked.)

If you're mounting a HAM radio a ground plane is often necessary to get the best performance from your radio.  Mounting that much antenna between all that metal would cause you some problems.  I know firetoad used a hood mounted antenna on his 2M set up & it looks good, plus it utilizes the ground plane that he needed to get good performance from his radio.

Maybe he can chime in & give a couple of pictures of his set up. ;D

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »
Nice setup, DeltaEchoVictor.  One thing I would recommend is replacing the two 15-amp fuses with 15-amp circuit breakers in the same form factor.  They are available at truck stops and online.  You will be glad you did when an accidental short or temporary overload doesn't take out your comm capability!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 08:28:33 PM »
Nice setup, DeltaEchoVictor.  One thing I would recommend is replacing the two 15-amp fuses with 15-amp circuit breakers in the same form factor.  They are available at truck stops and online.  You will be glad you did when an accidental short or temporary overload doesn't take out your comm capability!
Hadn't thought about that, thanks.  The fuses came in the kit with the wiring harness & extra fuses so that's what got put in.

Dr Falken

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
I know this is an old topic, but I'm running a D700 in my XJ, so I figured I could just add on my comments.  I liked your install, but I discovered that you can run your power lines in thru the right fender, along where the oem AM/FM radio antenna lead comes in. I used a hanger to pull the wires. It is a shorter run and keeps your wires off your engine.  With your set up, you could then go up the right column, into your radio.  Not like you would redo the work, but for the other XJ owners out there, it may be something to consider. 

If you run roof racks on your XJ, and carry canoes and what not, you might notice that an antenna on the center of your roof, while giving a better ground plan, gets in the way.  One of the great things about XJs is that they actually have rain gutters!  This allows you to run cheaper priced Yakima racks (often found used) as well as move your antenna to a rain gutter mount, right between the driver and rear door.  That keeps the antenna out of the way of your kayak or canoe, and you can reach out, and move your antenna to the "down" position, if you think it might get caught on something.  Sorry to revive an old post, but it seemed to fit.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I'm running a D700 in my XJ, so I figured I could just add on my comments.  I liked your install, but I discovered that you can run your power lines in thru the right fender, along where the oem AM/FM radio antenna lead comes in. I used a hanger to pull the wires. It is a shorter run and keeps your wires off your engine.  With your set up, you could then go up the right column, into your radio.  Not like you would redo the work, but for the other XJ owners out there, it may be something to consider. 

If you run roof racks on your XJ, and carry canoes and what not, you might notice that an antenna on the center of your roof, while giving a better ground plan, gets in the way.  One of the great things about XJs is that they actually have rain gutters!  This allows you to run cheaper priced Yakima racks (often found used) as well as move your antenna to a rain gutter mount, right between the driver and rear door.  That keeps the antenna out of the way of your kayak or canoe, and you can reach out, and move your antenna to the "down" position, if you think it might get caught on something.  Sorry to revive an old post, but it seemed to fit.
Thanks for the update!  No need to be sorry...some great threads are in the back room (so to speak). 

I'm actually going to be installing a b-day radio (same model actually) I received in my wife's Mazda, so I may do a write-up on that one as well.  It's going to be more challenging than the Cherokee install (& a real PITA probably).

Offline jimbrtxva

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »
Glad you brought the old topic back to life.  I have an 89 Cherokee that I need to install a radio and this post has given me several good ideas.  Thanks.

Dr Falken

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 07:11:01 AM »
One of the things that I've been wanting to do in my Cherokee was install an extra battery to run the radio(s), that helps eliminate noise, but with an APRS rig like the D700, you can feel comfortable leaving it run 24/7, as long as you have a battery isolator.  One of the things that I installed was the K&N round "high flow" air filter, and a kit from Rusty's Off-road, so as to clear a space where the original filter box fit.  The idea was to then add the extra battery on there.  Anyone running dual batteries, or specifically a dual battery setup in a Cherokee?

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
Really cool set up DEV. Thanks for the pics. It really makes the whole setup easier to understand. I wish everyone would post pics with their how to stuff.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
I'm glad this thread came back to life too. I've got a '98 XJ that I have yet to do the big "install" on.
Somehow I missed this thread...I even went to a local junk yard to check out the depth of the upper winshield support. All kinds of room to mount a radio.  I've got a 1802 still in the box that I would like to put in the Cherokee, but I've been using a VX5 in it for over a year. Sad, I know...
The only thing holding me back now is what I want to use for a antenna. I've been wanting to buy a nice safari rack for months, and thought I might mount it to the rack instead of using my mag-mount.

Gotta love those red XJs ;)

Offline TANK

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
Hi all nice install, although I would not hung it overhead, even if belted in on rough road a person will bounce up and down sometimes hitting head on ceiling. But other than that, very nice install.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »
In most cases I'd agree with you, but in the XJ Cherokees there aren't any other places.
I even thought about mounting a radio in the glovebox for a while. ;D