Author Topic: St. Paul Mercantile (kerosene kits)  (Read 5217 times)

thenoocher

St. Paul Mercantile (kerosene kits)
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »
I wanted to share my experience with St. Paul Mercantile.  We live in Northern Utah and it gets cold here.  I did not want to be caught without a way to heat my home.  After looking around at a number of different options I determined Kerosene would be a good fuel to store.   It can be used for lighting, heating and cooking.  St. Paul Mercantile offers an emergency kit with some good stuff and some stuff I did not want to purchase.  I ended up contacting the owner and asking him if I could design my own emergency kit (I didn't want the crank radio or the flashlight or the backpack stove). He was very accomidating to me, and then gave the same favor to my Father and my neighbor.  Since receiving my emergency kit I have tried everything.  The stove works great and is much larger than I thought it would be.  This is clearly a stove you could cook on for a year and feed an entire family easily.  The lamps a great especially considering what you pay for them.  I have had trouble with the pressurized lanturn.  This is 100% MY fault it took me a while to figure out how to preheat the kerosene so I blew through a number of mantles.  The only other comment I would put here is the oven is difficult to assemble and I have not had a chance to use it yet.  I will do so and post a review.  I would recommend this as a very cost effective way to ensure that you can heat your home and cook for your family in an extended emergency.  I found the owner to be helpful and responsive.

Here is the link...I am surprised I don't see more kerosene discussions as it seems to be a very versatile fuel and an answer to many of the problems we were facing at the time. 

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&item=FamilyKit

Offline USAFRaven

• Prepper
Re: St. Paul Mercantile (kerosene kits)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:18:29 PM »
any idea if those butterfly brand mantles will work properly on a Coleman kerosene lantern?

AC

Re: St. Paul Mercantile (kerosene kits)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:06:16 AM »
That stove looks interesting. I have an old Moonlighter heater, that I cook on (it's a VERY slow cooker) too at times, things that burn kerosene fascinate me lol.