Author Topic: Canning, bread making etc  (Read 6261 times)

Offline GulfCoast

• Fledgling Prepper
Canning, bread making etc
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:02:59 PM »
Hello Ladies,

Well I've been an outdoorsy girl and a tomboy most of my life. Now as a prepper I know I have to learn those kitchen skills that I have been avoiding. I often think how nice it would be to connect with someone close enough to get hands on mentoring with! Orrrrr...another learner to try new things together. Anyone else feel that way? I'm hoping to meet like-minded people and make friends thru meet-ups etc. I am always looking for relevant classes and such. Thank goodnes for internet and videos!!!

I enjoy getting to know all of you thru the forums!

GulfCoast

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Canning, bread making etc
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
GulfCoast... Welcome to the forum. We are really glad to have you here. You are definitely in the right place. Although we tend to be geographically spread out, there is a wealth of information on everything from baking, to canning, needlework and knitting, to dehydrating to soap-making to cheese-making to solar oven cooking, to wheat grinding, to diapering babies, to gardening...

OK... you get the point. It is too bad that some of our most experienced forum members can't be everywhere at once and giving hands-on classes at different places, but folks here are really helpful.

I would suggest picking a topic you want to learn about and first checking the archives for information about it. Then, if you have more questions or would like some input, just either post to the topic in question to bump it up to the top or start your own new topic.

Another thing you might try is checking out the region where you live... there may be local meet-ups you could attend to meet other preppers in your area. If nothing is already planned, try planning one and setting one up yourself to see if anyone bites...

I can't tell you all the useful information I have learned here.

And... if you haven't already, stop by the intro thread if you get the chance...

Welcome!

Offline livingmydream

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
Hi and welcome! The meet ups are a great idea. And I know of many women who were never taught any of those skills by their own mothers (myself included) and have had to pick it up on their own or by another woman. I sure hope you can find someone to help you, but if you can't you'll still make it work. Yes, do it in baby steps. Pick one thing you want to start with as to not get overwhelmed. I still haven't taken on canning yet, but I have been unknowingly "stockpiling" and prepping for years. Freezing leftovers, and food from our garden etc... that is the next thing I am going to get into. As for bread making it isn't as overwhelming as it looks. You can start small by using crap white flour just to get the hang of it. As you get used to it then you can invest in a grain mill and start using whole wheat berries for the wonderful health properties. Their is a book called Artisan Bread in 5 minutes that makes it so much simpler! And that's a great start to just having a constant supply of fresh bread in your home! There are also many you tube videos that you show you step by step as well! I love to research on my own and teach myself. There is something quite empowering in that! :)
Good luck!

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
Canning Across America encourages workshops and meetups locally so you might want to check there although their website has not been updated in the past couple of months. I would also check with your local extension office as they usually have a Master Food Preserver on staff. They usually have 4-6 workshops a year teaching such skills from pickling to jams. Also YouTube is a great source with assorted walkthroughs and other tips.

Baby Girls

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 01:07:50 AM »
Welcome GolfCoast.... I too have the same problem as you, slightly ahead of you though. I want to thank Ivschant, ebonearth and livingmydream for their posts for book resources classes ect. I never have been shown from a parent either on the how to and what I have noticed with people I know they either don't have the time to show you or they are very territorial of their recipe's and don't want to give them to you, as weird as that sounds. My dilemma is I don't have the money to buy a book for everything I am trying to learn. I'm getting layed off in approximately 2 weeks I just found out. I was planning on buying them until I got this news and the question is now what do you do if you cant afford internet or the books. My internet access I use while I'm at work, but once I get layed off how am I going to access the information. Anyway my guess is your looking for tips and the inside information of what to do and how to do it. I have canned jelly and did the beer bread jack talks about. The beer bread is great and you should try that for a start. What I recently learned is for meat and vegetable canning you need a pressure cooker. I tried canning red peppers in the past and they all went bad. Well come to find through trial and error you need a certain temperature that the pressure cooker gives you over bath canning. Its about bacteria and has to reach a specific temp to kill it. Jelly can be done by the bath method and is real easy to do. I did strawberry jam, bought the sure jell from the grocery store and followed the recipe on the package. I then stored them in my freezer. Lasted a year and a half and was fantastic. As far as bread I don't know much myself I planned on doing more but working full time nights and raising the kids its kinda difficult. But with me getting layed off I figured it would be the extra time I never had to start teaching myself. If you want I could message you through the forum and give you notes on what I did and so on. Let me know. Good luck and I hope this helped you.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 02:45:36 AM »
Welcome GolfCoast.... I too have the same problem as you, slightly ahead of you though. I want to thank Ivschant, ebonearth and livingmydream for their posts for book resources classes ect. I never have been shown from a parent either on the how to and what I have noticed with people I know they either don't have the time to show you or they are very territorial of their recipe's and don't want to give them to you, as weird as that sounds. My dilemma is I don't have the money to buy a book for everything I am trying to learn. I'm getting layed off in approximately 2 weeks I just found out. I was planning on buying them until I got this news and the question is now what do you do if you cant afford internet or the books. My internet access I use while I'm at work, but once I get layed off how am I going to access the information. Anyway my guess is your looking for tips and the inside information of what to do and how to do it. I have canned jelly and did the beer bread jack talks about. The beer bread is great and you should try that for a start. What I recently learned is for meat and vegetable canning you need a pressure cooker. I tried canning red peppers in the past and they all went bad. Well come to find through trial and error you need a certain temperature that the pressure cooker gives you over bath canning. Its about bacteria and has to reach a specific temp to kill it. Jelly can be done by the bath method and is real easy to do. I did strawberry jam, bought the sure jell from the grocery store and followed the recipe on the package. I then stored them in my freezer. Lasted a year and a half and was fantastic. As far as bread I don't know much myself I planned on doing more but working full time nights and raising the kids its kinda difficult. But with me getting layed off I figured it would be the extra time I never had to start teaching myself. If you want I could message you through the forum and give you notes on what I did and so on. Let me know. Good luck and I hope this helped you.
Oh talk about a personal bit of 'times getting tough'! The first thing I want to state is that what you are seeking is a pressure canner not a pressure cooker. The biggest difference being that most pressure cookers have thinner walls and thus cool down much too fast to achieve proper canning. While canning things like salsa, tomato sauce and other acidic foods is generally fine in a cooker, using it to can meats and such would not fare as well. That stated, here's some tips that I use:
  • Library - 9/10 times I check a book out of the library before purchasing it. That way I can decide if a book is really worth it before I spare so much as a dime for it. You can also access the internet in most libraries these days as well which could help with getting online access.
  • Data Storage - If you do have a computer at home, take this time now, or when you are at a library and make a list of documents you can save and read at home/offline. I remember when I was at mu old job, I asked permission to print a few things provided I supplied my own paper and they were fine with it. This way I got copies of books like 'The Humanure Handbook' and 'Preparing for the Coming Influenza Pandemic' for about $2 in all. Just keeping a few articles or books on a $3 flash drive can have you accessing what you need whenever possible.
  • Book Resellers - I got my PDR of Herbal Medicines for 9$ because I purchased a slightly older edition. There's a lot of online resellers (Alibris, Amazon Marketplace, eBay) that have a lot of the books we want at pennies on the dollar sometimes. Build a wishlist, take a look and don't be afraid to walk away. unless it's some ultra rare tome odds are someone else will have it for sale soon enough.
  • TSP Lending Library - I can't think of a better example of why it was created, so it could be put to use by our members. Take a peek!

We lot who never learned from some helpful elder will just have to figure it out ourselves!

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 03:31:01 AM »
When I started, my mom was long gone, but I had three little kids and had to learn how to feed them right. I went to the Extension Agency (every state has many offices) and asked to speak to thei Home Economist. She was able to point me to classes in cooking which led me to classes in canning and gardening.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 06:44:21 AM »
My Mom never did any pressure canning... just jams and jellies (and mostly freezer jam). I learned it myself from the instructions included with my pressure canner and other books. It may not be an immediate option for you since you're being laid off from work, but I did see pressure canners significantly reduced at the end of season this year at Wally World. I've also bought a Ball Blue Book of canning and it is a great help. Those are out there used, too...

Bread-making... it really just takes doing it to get better at it. I've made my share of bread that was not too great... but it is definitely worth the effort to develop the skill.

I think you are right about the opportunity to do new things and try things out while you are between jobs... it's also a great time to get your garden ready for the summer... silver linings, you know. After all, the glass is half-full, right?

Baby Girls

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »
To all the women who responded.... You are amazing!! ;D Thank you for setting me straight on the pressure CANNER!!!! I obviously got mixed up on the two. ::) I will check out that wally world too. Hubby and I discussed things over the last few days and what we plan with our income tax to put X away to help us wether the storm that is coming. The only money we will spend is for our preps for our garden which this is our first year. Also we decided to invest in buying the pressure canner and a dehydrator. I am so glad you responded ebonearth because had you not set me straight I would have learned the hard way. I'm going to do as much research as I possibly can while I'm still working and print up anything I'm able to. Again thanks to all for your help, you gave me lots of options.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:33 PM »
You are most welcome Baby Girls!

Just a reminder that there is a (low activity) seed swap thread, I still have some of those seeds listed as well as some others. The more biodiversity we collect and store the better off we will all be. Plus at the cost of a bit of paper and a stamp you can't beat the seed deals. :)

Baby Girls

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the post... I tried to pull it up and it said error the thread is either missing or off limits to me.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
Odd. Let me post it directly: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2862.0 Maybe that helps?

Baby Girls

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »
An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. 

Same thing.... Thanks for trying I cant figure out what the problem is either.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 11:37:49 PM »
Works for me.

Baby Girls

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:40:19 PM »
Well I'll be darn what the heck... I'll keep trying

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 12:13:34 AM »
Ah! It's a swap meet board thing. I think it will become available to you soon enough. You hit the forums like duck to water and are so very active it'll be viewable soon enough!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:25:20 AM by ebonearth »

Baby Girls

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
Ok, again thanks for all the info... I thought I was doing something wrong there.. Lol, I will keep my eye out for it. ;)

blondeprincess

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
GulfCoast - was just curious where abouts you arGulf Coast is quite large. Lol! I'm in Florida on the coast in the Greater Tampa Bay area.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
Welcome, blondeprincess... glad to have you here... if you get a chance stop by the intro thread :)