Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 2  (Read 190044 times)

Offline Ori

• Prepper
Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 2
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »
I am learning to populate my outer zones with fragrant species that my GF and I both like.

I did that with a rosemary bush right next to my door.  It's taken over part of the sidewalk, but it smells so good I just let it grow at will

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
Actually I bought some lavender seeds and was thinking of putting some it along the fence.

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2010, 04:27:25 PM »
I am impressed C. That looks really good. 

Granny says "he's working hisself to death".   8)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
Death by work is OK as long as it is work by choice, right?

And it beats death by sitting on my arse watching a lawn maintenance crew cut my grass, for sure.

No chikins yet though. :)

Offline Cheeta68

• Survivor
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2010, 06:04:01 PM »
Great Progress Cohutt. I was in the back yard over the weekend working on my green house and planting some potatoes is a SFG and remembered Chapter 1. So I looked up Chapter 2 tonight for some inspiration. I got started last year about 2 months later than you did. Thanks for sharing the progress and the tips on asparagus.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
Thanks and keep digging cheeta.  :)
That reminds me to check on my first potatoes, they're on the dining room table getting some wake up air and light.....

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »
absolutely amazing.  I'm jealous

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
And it beats death by sitting on my arse watching a lawn maintenance crew cut my grass, for sure.

I agree, as long as you are able. I sure don't enjoy paying ta get da yard work done.  :(

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
A few things to report on

First, I re-potted some more of my tomatoes, this time Red brandywine and Martinos Roma.

The problem:  even with good southern window sun and a grow light rigged up, some of my tomatoes were getting floppy. (I haven't been running a fan any and think i will start a rotation)

before:

After:

I just put the peat pot on the bare bottom of the plastic pot and filled in around it.  (I also snipped the 2nd place finisher in this pot)   This worked well with earlier transpants an they are coming on strong:

I've been taking the seedling out for some sun and air; Saturday I moved these e out and thought I found the perfect sheltered spot on my patio in a corner where a fence terminates at the house.   A few minutes after i took the picture below, a gust of wind flattened the whole lot.  I moved the smaller ones in to recover then put the others under a plastic sheeting tent.  All foe them we OK by the end of the day and standing straight again.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
The artichoke seedlings are slowly coming along; the larger one is the same one I posted the "little shop of horrors" picture of a few days back.

Also the potatoes from SSE started budding up and sprouting over the course of last week; I cut them Friday night and let them stand for a couple days before I planted them.  This is the end result- 2 1/2 lbs each of Purple Viking, French Fingerling and German Butterball after the deed:

I ended up with 16 pieces for the Purple Viking (BIG potatoes- only took 3 to weight 2.5 lbs) and 28-30 pieces each of the smaller 2. 

I had already ordered from SSE when the Ronniger catalog came in; It is one of the most helpful catalogs I have seen. It isn't all pretty and glossy like some but it has very good planting instructions for the  main 3 types of plants it sells- Potatoes, onion & garlic.   I will order from them next year just because of how helpful this was. (Their selection is great too.  Ronniger's potato planting help page:

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »
Most of the weekend work time was spent doing unglamorous work like finishing the border bed along the fence, finishing the boxwood pruning and generally cleaning up

I did get the chance to cut a few pieces of bamboo from my friend's property.   I cut these just to experiment with a little; if i like what I can do with it I plan on cutting a lot more and to use it all for structures and support.   I didn't even cut the biggest pieces and all of what I brought home was at least 15 feet long after being topped.  I cut 9 1/2 foot poles and then trimmed the leftover top portions:

The bases were a lot sturdier than i thought; time to brainstorm on uses for this.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »
Dang. just got done reading chap 1 and 2 all the way through. I am glad I did. One of the things sitting on my counter is a bag of asparagus crowns. The other? Strawberries. Good info on the asparagus. Thanks

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »
Cohutt... I've been watching the permaculture class online that Jack recommended awhile back... the instructor has build a very nice bamboo gazebo-type structure in his backyard... pictures shown in one of the early lessons (3,4, or 5, I think). If you have access to a lot of bamboo, it would be a great idea! Very attractive. He was also using it as a vining structure (kiwi, IIRC) to add shade in the hottest summer months.

PS: do you feed the seedlings once they sprout? If so, what do you use and how often? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:29:12 PM by lvschant »

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
Cohutt,

You had mentioned chickens in the future. If you make a coop out of bamboo it will be super easy to move around the yard. That is one use for the bamboo in addition to bamboo trellises and bamboo supports. You can even eat it. The Chinese do every day.

As always, excellent work.

Lvschant,
Isn't that class awesome. I am on Ch 4 right now.

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2010, 09:40:18 PM »
Cohutt, those bamboo sticks are awesome....how about using them to stake your plants...are they flexible at all?  if so maybe use them in place of PVC for hoophouses?  Definitely turn one into a "survial kit" walking stick like in John McCann's = "Build the Perfect Survival Kit".  They look to be beefy enough that you could even cut them to 18" lenghts and pound 1/2 way into the ground for some decorative raised beds?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2010, 04:47:12 AM »
sweetheart's mom, how did in the heck you have time to read all that junk with the kitchen garden project underway?  :)

Lvschant,
The potting soil i fill in with when putting them in the larger pots includes a little compost - that's about it as far as feeding. I don't know if this is good or bad; it was something i didn't think about until they were well hatched.

At a minimum, I plan on using the bamboo for trellis frame for my pole limas and for staking my vining tomatoes. .  Also, I'm sure I can figure out a way to incorporate it with the birdhouse gourds that will be up the back fence.

Bamboo chicken tractor?  gotta get chickens first lol and that's not this year I am afraid.

JG, it seems flexible enough to bend a little but I'm not sure the thicker stronger stuff would be flexible enough for hoop houses.   I'm afraid it I pounded the fresh cut stuff into the ground it would root, sprout and take over my plot like it did my friend's vacant lot. :)

Lots of ideas out there, thanks for the suggestions and if you see anything else bamboo based that is cool let me know.

Offline Crispy Critter

• Survivor
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2010, 06:13:46 AM »
Cohutt,

Thanks for posting the new photos. I know it breaks up the work flow, stopping to take meaningful shots which depict a process, but they are motivational and get the creative thoughts flowing.

I've seen young forest bamboo used for scaffolding skirting 4-story buildings in Asia...everything but the planking and dust screen was constructed with bamboo. I have faith you will find a multitude of uses for the stuff. I'm even considering planting some non-clumping bamboo at the lower, north end of my property. I really, really need a windbreak and I am almost willing to suffer another bamboo invasion if it will convert my property from "wind-swept" to "cool breezes".

It looks like Cohutt's Garden 2010 is going to be 'Standing Room Only'   ;D

@lvschant and Roswell: are you referring to the iTunes University videos Jack mentioned? I have limited bandwidth and couldn't justify downloading the chapters after seeing the first one. I know they get better, but I'm relying on folks like you to do the preliminary reviews. Do you have a resource which rates the various chapters or describes what is included in each?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2010, 07:10:03 AM »
Yes... I've been watching the iTunes vids jack mentioned on the show... I admit they are a bit slow-moving on the first couple, but are getting better now that all the introductions and potluck details are out of the way :)

I had forgotten just how much wasted time there is in a college course... we are getting training and information in a much more condensed way with Jack's podcasts!

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2010, 07:39:15 AM »
Yeah, the first few are more the instructor getting to know the students and them getting to know him. About ch 3 they really start to get into it.

Offline WoG

• Prepper
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2010, 09:40:49 AM »
I'm glad asparagus only needs to be planted once then is good for 10 or 15 years or more; this was more work that I thought just because of all the awkward bending over to get the plants just right before covering. 

First step- soak the crowns for and hour or two before starting.  If you haven't ever seen a bundle of crowns, it is an odd dead looking clump of roots:
I had two bundles of 20 for this bed; I figured a 3x13 grid would work.  I started by setting a center line to work off of for the center row. After spading out a wide level trench a couple inches deep,  I marked the side board ever 14” of so and then dropped the crowns in roughly where they would be set:
The next step is to cup up some of the soil into a little pyramid or cone and then set the crown on it so that the roots radiate down and around fairly evenly.  You can sort of see this with the small one the left that is in place.

So you just sit them with the part where the strands come together out of the ground (pointing up) and let the stands spread out? Jeez, I almost put them in with the clustered part in the ground...><

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »
Bamboo chicken tractor?  gotta get chickens first lol and that's not this year I am afraid.

But, but...what if a box with a pair of cute lil biddies, heat lamp, waterer, feeder, and feed were delivered to your doorsteps next week? Gratis.  ;D

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2010, 04:14:50 PM »
Jawja, that's funny but it's really not funny

Mrs C says she knows where you live and the "favor" would be returned .....you might wake up to find another litter of puppies at your back door.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »
So you just sit them with the part where the strands come together out of the ground (pointing up) and let the stands spread out? Jeez, I almost put them in with the clustered part in the ground...><

lol, like a school of squid that head-planted into the dirt..... 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »

But, but...what if a box with a pair of cute lil biddies, heat lamp, waterer, feeder, and feed were delivered to your doorsteps next week? Gratis.  ;D

haha... better get to work on that bamboo chicken tractor!

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2010, 06:25:19 PM »
Cohutt,
You gave me an idea. My parents have a bunch of bamboo taking over their backyard that they'd be happy to get rid of. One of my ideas is to cut a couple in half and use as gutters to divert water away from a couple beds I have on a slope.

Offline sclindah

• Prepper
  • Garden Harvest
    • Harper Happenings
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
You gave me an idea. My parents have a bunch of bamboo taking over their backyard that they'd be happy to get rid of. One of my ideas is to cut a couple in half and use as gutters to divert water away from a couple beds I have on a slope.

I have another idea for you.  I have some friends who are Hmong and every April they go out to the wild bamboo around here and cut the new sprouts coming up and can them in jars or eat them fresh. It tastes a lot like asparagus!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
Ros I will buy you a pipe if you want. :)  Sometimes just going to homedepot is worth it lol....

This evening I messed with getting the potatoes in and will post details later when I have a little more time.

For now I'll share something i have discovered-

when I plant tiny seeds like lettuce and carrots, i have had spotty germination in part from the soil surface crusting over but also form seed getting moved about by heavy rains or critters.  I have some shade cloth scrap and tried using it as a bed cover immediately after sowing these little seeds.  I wet it every day and it does a good job of keeping the soil surface from drying out.  I've tried both lettuce and spinach this spring with and without the shade cloth covering and the results were much more consistent "with".

The two little side beds I have get cat traffic if not protected- on one I used bird netting to surround it and the other i used shade cloth.  The shade cloth wins hands down

covered:

underneath (for perspective on the "boulder" in the foreground, there is about 1/3 of a pecan shell to the left behind the seedling in focus)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »
Wow! What a great idea! I'll have to give that a try.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
Meanwhile, back at the pyramid, the strawberry plants have taken root and are noticeably growing after 1 week....  

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2010, 07:40:36 AM »
Ros I will buy you a pipe if you want. :)  Sometimes just going to homedepot is worth it lol....

Now, Cohutt, we wouldn't be survivalist if we ran to home depot every time we need something. You're such a slacker (Yeah, Right!  :D ) Seriously though, you had me thinking big time about the 1/4 acre bamboo forest in their backyard and all the uses they have. I'm visiting my parents this weekend to celebrate my birthday and Easter. I am so cutting some for gutters around one of my beds and around my compost heap. Not to mention tomato stakes for the ones I'll be growing in containers. I'm even going to try to grow some small shoots in containers for home made chinese dishes. I've seen what they do to a yard when not in containers. Hopefully, I will be able to cut and eat, cut and eat like with leaf lettuce.

BTW, the strawberry pyramid is looking sweet! pun intended