Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 2  (Read 190042 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 2
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
I had Aunt Mollies last year.  This year I have Cossack Pineapple. 

Speaking of, I'm hoping that you will be saving seeds.  I'll be the first to ask if you want to trade some Aunt Mollie's seed for some Cossack Pineapple seeds.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »

LOL, KYD you are observant and have busted me....

I have never done spuds before but came to the same conclusion after the dilemma of where to put them all- just 2 1/2 lbs of 3 types.  Mel of SFG all but says put them on top of each other, basically the same as with everything else in SFG compared to traditional row planting/spacing.

What I neglected to consider is how many usable pieces I would get from each 2 1/2 lbs.  The purple viking order came to 3 huge spuds.  The German Butterball was maybe 12 or 4 and the French Fingerling was even more than that.  Cut a couple of the small ones in half and you end up with 25 or 30 seed pieces.....You get the picture lol.

In the end I stole one of my 3 2x8' bean beds and called it a potato bed.   I decided to go almost as close as Mel suggested; from what I have read, the downside is I have smaller potatoes on average.  I think I can live with this as we will probably raid new potatoes out of the straw from the day we find them until the final harvest.

As with everything else I am trying,  I will take notes and adjust next time...

Ah, no busting to it at all my friend.  I think all the guidelines on spacing are too tight and I'm just too happy to prove them wrong when I can.  If you got 'em, burn 'em; that's my philosophy.

That curved bed is too neat.  I really like the looks of that. 

You are exactly right about those ground cherries.  I buried mine last year up to the first true leaves and some deeper.  They loved it.  I could barely pull the wilted vines out last fall the roots ran so deep.

J

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2010, 04:33:30 AM »
Last night's dilemma:

Beans or taxes? 

Taxes or beans?

Definitely beans.   

I put off finishing up my tax returns last night by soaking and planting the two type of pole limas under my mega trellis contraption.  "King of the Garden" and "Christmas" are now in the soil.  Note to self:  Don't tie down the low part of the trellis netting until after the seeds are planted next year....  the odd angles made for some awkward squatting and leaning but they are in....

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2010, 04:42:57 AM »
Also:

The comment about trellis netting reminded me- I found a source for netting that has good prices as well as several available widths. 
http://www.nylonnet.com/merchandise/?cat=560&top_cat=&cat_nav=&sub_cat=&sub2_cat=

They have a lot of stuff I haven't seen elsewhere that might be of use to some of us in the future.   I ordered some of the green high tensile twine as well; not sure exactly what I am going to use it for but I think it will be handy training the gourd vines and providing some fall over support to the sunflowers that will hopefully be along my fence line in a few weeks.

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2010, 05:38:02 AM »
Those are good prices C.

Nylon Net Co. has been around a long time. Good folks to deal with in my time.

Offline Mel

• Survivor
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »
Wow, I can't wait to see pictures of your yard this summer.  Oh, and buy a dehydrator.  A big one.

Mel

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
« Reply #216 on: April 14, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »
Last night's dilemma:

Beans or taxes? 

Taxes or beans?

Definitely beans.   

I put off finishing up my tax returns last night by soaking and planting the two type of pole limas under my mega trellis contraption.  "King of the Garden" and "Christmas" are now in the soil.  Note to self:  Don't tie down the low part of the trellis netting until after the seeds are planted next year....  the odd angles made for some awkward squatting and leaning but they are in....

Yes defnitely beans, good to see your priorities are in line since you have till Thursday to get the taxes postmarked.

I couldn't tie down my trellis netting yet if I wanted too, I have lettuce in the way right now till it comes out and the cucumbers go in.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »
outdoorlady,
i transplanted planted 12 tomatoes last night including the 2 that were in the middle of one of lettuce patches.  I figure they can coexist until it is hot enough for the tomatoes' growth to really jump (and the lettuce slowly gets eaten in the meantime).  I figure some overlap in the season means some overlap in my squares as well.  The tomatoes in that bed are dead center in the middle of 4 squares ( bush roma VF's) and when i transplanted the lettuce and seeded some more a month ago, I left the tomato's spot open in anticipation. picture later maybe if i finish my taxes tonight Lil.

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »
if i finish my taxes tonight Lil.

::)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2010, 08:06:07 PM »
Finished taxes but it was too dark for pictures. 

So some from last night.

Got a dozen planted; 10 romas and 2 red brandywines.

The big Romas I almost fried last weekend :

I dug as deep as I could, all the way down to the cardboard under the mix.  Garden scissors in the hole for reference. (I trimmed leaves that would be buried before putting the dirt back in.)

New crackberry camera test when I was close to finishing;  you can see the ones about to go in the lettuce at the bottom.

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2010, 10:50:40 PM »
I'm thinking my buttercrunch (bibb type) lettuce is too spread out to have room in the middle to stick a tomato, I have empty squares for them and the lettuce is supposed to be done before the Cantaloupe goes in next month.  I just need to figure out how to secure the middle of my trellis netting to the bottom for the time being. I'm thinking a metal tent stake.

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2010, 10:18:53 AM »
How about a double row of Carrots?

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2010, 06:32:26 PM »
Okay first - I love your strawberry bed!  It's so adorable and I'm completely jealous.  DH has been standing here reading over my shoulder as I went through the last few pages of this thread and he's jealous of your tomato plants.  Thanks for all the wonderful pictures - I think you are a great encouragement to many!
If you need any canning recipes or helps just yell - I love to can and I am planning on teaching a canning class here in Colorado soon. I also think it's great encouragement to keep track of all you harvest as you will be surprised at the amount you really produce. Then if you price the stuff at the grocery store you will be amazed at the savings. Wishing you a bountiful harvest this year! TBM

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »
Thanks tbm, I'll be looking for some salsa and general tomato sauce recipes this summer. :)

Oh and tell DH that I am overly proud of my tomato plants and that his jealousy stokes my agri-ego.  

I need a good basic scale for weighing produce. Maybe a hanging one?  Ideas?  

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
I actually bought my scale at the big McGuckins Hardware in Boulder Co. a long time ago.  It's just a very large kitchen scale (I originally bought it to weigh chickens at butchering time) but I use it to weigh all my veggies. I would try a hardware store but you might search online.  Yeah our tomatoes are looking kinda sad right now.  We left someone in care of all our plants while we were in California for 10 day and they drowned them all.  Oh well - hopefully they'll snap out of it.   

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2010, 04:40:26 AM »
Cohutt, just visit any kitchen gadget store for the scale.  You will want to make sure there is a tare button.  This allows you to zero out the scale once there's a bowl or other container on it.

For the salsa, last year we made Annie's Salsa and it was really good.  This isn't the exact recipe that we used, ours was set up for water bath canning.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »
I worked like a dog this weekend.  The weather was good and I have several things I wanted to get done since next weekend I'll be moving my daughter down in Atlanta.

I ended up building 4 more beds, all small ones.  One was in the way back next to the asparagus, 2' x 7', and will have 3 squash plants in it soon.  (I have no pictures of this one)

The other 3 were 2'x4' and are for cut flowers @ the request of Mrs C.  They are in front of the curved ground cherry bed, which got some straw mulch this afternoon as well:

I also sunk the last post for the storage blind I'm adding to a back corner then framed it in and put some of the 4' pickets up.

from across the yard:

Tomato cages:
I picked up 150' of 5' concrete reinforcement wire Saturday - my friend had it for $80 at his building supply store vs well over $100 (something like $130 maybe) at the two big box ones here.   This stuff is frikin heavy; I about busted a gut getting it out of the truck and into the back yard.  May plan was to roll it out in the grass where I would have lots of room but i abandoned that idea and started cutting it were it lay:

I made 10 Roma cages that are around 20" diameter.  I cut the bottom row of squares off and left the verticals to sink into the ground.   The end result was probably taller than I'll need for the Romas but I figure I can cut them down one more next year if I need to.
I also made one skinnier one to try for the Red Brandywines back there. I left it whole and used two less squares vs the other cages (10 including 1 overlapping vs 12).   This one is fastened to the bed frame and is purposefully very tall as a result.  You can see it in the front here vs the Roma cages -

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
OK, but how are the plants doing?

The strawberries are doing well; here is an updated picture of the pyramid:

The transplanted lettuce is so nice looking I don't want to cut any of it; can anyone see the wasp that gave me a buzzzing for disturbing it?

All the potatoes got moving and broke through the dirt in the last couple of days. I'll slowly adding straw back on to the 3 beds in the front part that had cricket issues.  Here is one section before the straw was added: 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2010, 08:44:57 PM »
Funny, I took a couple of pictures of the backyard from the house today and compared them to the one taken in June last year:

Last year:

Today:

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2010, 03:07:45 AM »
Fantastic.   :o

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2010, 05:29:17 AM »
Amazing transformation

Offline Crispy Critter

• Survivor
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2010, 05:57:20 AM »
Cohutt, by my estimation you are a force of nature not to be reckoned with. (Especially if you happen to be a tusky, rootin' feral hog!)

You've taken the plunge with both feet and it is, I must admit, entirely motivating and inspirational for the likes of me. I hope you get the chance to relax and enjoy the fruits (and veggies  ::) ) of your labor with Mrs. C on a regular basis.

About your tomato cages: I've seen pictures (from Acres Magazine...can't find the hard copy just yet) of a gentleman who used the thicker gauge concrete reinforcing wire mesh in the same manner as you, but he kept adding sections to the tops as his tomatoes reached over 15 feet tall. I really do need to find that article since it also describes his method of pruning/pinching new growth in order to attain such massive plants. I don't aspire for 15 foot tomatoes, but it IS something to behold...even in photographs.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2010, 08:54:40 AM »
Cohutt - the transformation from last year to this year is absolutely incredible.  Shows that anyone can produce food in the space that they have.  This is amazing and so wonderful and I hope that it inspires a bunch of new preppers and maybe some old preppers too to rethink their yard and growing capabilities.  If you and your wife are like us we're already dreaming of the end of summer's bounty!

Nice work - I gave you a plus 1 but wish it could be so much more.  Oh and we are still so very jealous of your tomatoes! TBM (& the DH reading over my shoulder again).

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »
Awesome pictures!

J

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
:)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:05 PM »
I opened up the visio "yard map" drawing I had started a while back and tinkered with it some more.  The scale is close but something is a little off; regardless this is a good mock up of how it all lays right now.

Since last season I have added 13 beds (excluding those along the fence) ranging in size from 3x3 to 16x4.    This is kind of funny; I have had my head buried so deep into getting as many in as I can beofre the season that I really hadn't realized they had added up so much. 

Only the 3x3 one near the back fence has to still be leveled and fiiled; I figure I'd use it a a gourd "hill" and try and get 6 or 8 plants running up the fence from there,
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:37:50 PM by cohutt »

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »
Cohutt, you have performed an amazing and beautiful transformation on your lawn. Even in the short time since I visited, the changes you have made are astounding. Seriously dude. You rock. This thread makes me smile and inspires me every time I see it. Big +1 for the latest update.

Btw, give me a buzz this weekend on your way back from atl if you and your wife want to meet for a bite  or if you want to see my homestead. 

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2010, 09:55:33 PM »
Wow what a great inspiring update to come home too after a weekend away.  Looking great as usual Cohutt.  Every time I see new cool stuff that you, Fritz, and some others are doing in makes me want ot so so much more here.  I just hesitate to do too much as we don't plan on living here long term.

Offline Cheeta68

• Survivor
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »
That is a wonderful transformation. Your yard looks twice as big and at least twice as inviting.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
Cohutt, what are the small bushes that run down the middle of the yard?