Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 2  (Read 190033 times)

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 2
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2010, 08:40:55 PM »
Pretty sure they are boxwoods, he's talked about the boxwoods and the towns original fire bell being in that area in some other posts.  But I could be wrong.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
oh ok, for some reason I thought that was over in a corner. I was hoping those were cool little blue berry bushes.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »
yep boxwoods

i have started the drastic multi year pruning & renovation process to change the layout and bring it back to 100% English boxwood.  when done there will  be plenty of room in the squares for larger veggie & herb beds 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »
Picture update time
Bronze Arrowhead lettuce

More heirloom lettuce borrowing space around a Roma for a couple or few more weeks

Aunt Molliie Ground Cherry - a baby fruit among the tiny flowers

The softneck Garlic Spartan sent me last fall is now 3 ft tall

Offline JustinChase

• Prepper
« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
Looking good.  I wish I would have gotten my garlic in this year, but alas, I'll have to wait.

Keep us posted on the lettuce in with the Romas.  I'm curious how well they combine, both with space and shade.  I'm hoping they do well like that, in fact, I'm kinda planning on it :)

I noticed a few things just starting to fruit here too.  rainy and too dark for photos tonight, but this weekend.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »
Spuds are gaining some momentum:

"Christmas" & "king of the garden" Limas awoke after the rain earlier this week:

Speaking of limas-

I had some Henderson bush limas (a tasty baby lima) to plant and soaked the seed this evening.  When I planted the allotted squares I realized I had soaked way more than I needed and that these extra would be sprouting in a couple days wherever they were.

I'm kind of tired of building beds and mixing soil so I decided to experiment a little.  I had a small secondary compost pile that got covered by the wood chips; a while back i located it under the chips and excavated most for one of the beds.   I decided to scrap back the chips and drop these into the ground right where the pile had been just for the hell of it; I marked the spot with 3 tomato cage scraps so I wouldn't trample the seedling when they pop up>

Who knows, but I am betting these will do well. ;)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:38:23 PM by cohutt »

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »
Great idea. I love limas. I didn't plant any this year. Maybe I will try some in some of my free space.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2010, 06:50:22 PM »
Great idea. I love limas. I didn't plant any this year. Maybe I will try some in some of my free space.

Wow, that's not something you hear every day.  When I tell people that i love lima beans, they look at me like I'm crazy.

We planted 3 rows that are about 28' long with Fordhook lima beans.  Those are our favorite limas.  We've never really had great luck with limas, so I don't know if I can pull off a second harvest in the Fall or not.

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2010, 07:13:33 PM »
The Bronze Arrowhead lettuce from 4/22 is really pretty.  What kind of flavor does it have?

I just have Buttercrunch I'm eating now and Black Seeded Simpson is sprouting and planted some sweet mesclun mix today.

What are your favorite lettuces varieties?  Do they have specific sweet/bitter/spicy/etc flavors that you really like?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2010, 08:55:27 PM »
odl79,

I have a bed planted with each of those that i cut a few leaves from this evening to top off a salad.  The BSS was what opened our eyes to how good home grown stuff can be last spring. (Tip of the day: It is slow to bolt and even when it starts getting hot and it goes bitter a bit you can sweeten it up.  Water heavily the evening before then cut it early the next morning and leave in the crisper drawer for 48 hours.  It will be delicious again.)

I've liked most everything I have planted except for one of the burpee Romaine varieties that just didn't hit the spot.

The Seed Savers Exchange "SSE Lettuce Mixture" http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=1024 has been a terrific introduction to heirloom varieties I wouldn't have ever tasted otherwise.

The mixture has the following varieties; I'll do my best to describe but you really have to taste them yourself to believe how damn good they are:

Amish Deer Tongue, http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=626
Good in warm spring weather but even better grown in my sunroom window last winter.  It was thinner and leggier but tasted like a baby leaf; it did much better in the limited light than those varieties that have a thin leaf under normal conditions.   Someone here has grown a variety of deer tongue that has some red in it; maybe they will pipe in a revue. (I don't recall who).
Australian Yellowleaf, http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=377(OG)
This is a lot like the simpson varieties but a huge leaf and an unusually bright green color
Bronze Arrowhead, http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=378
same as with the deer tongue- a fairly robust & think leaf in normal conditions made for a tender winter leaf in the window....
Forellenschuss, http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=105
Fantastic romaine with interesting color- bronze specks on a delicate light green leaf.  It is the variety to the left of the Bronze arrowhead in the picture above.
Lollo Rossa, http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=219(OG)
Tasty; we are bad to snip new growth off of this one before it matures. Nice sweet flavor when cut this way
Pablo, http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=627
Beautiful, tasty, tender. Top of the leaves are one color and the bottom are another, looks almost painted
Red Velvet http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=977(OG)
Deep red, (what we grew over the winter was almost purple) Tender tasty colorful, not bitter
Reine des Glaces. http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=631(OG)
The best part of this is the heart of the head once you’ve worked on the outer leaves.  The inner leaves are curled together and are the sweetest tastiest morsels out of any of these; they had a nice crunch and are 3-d as they keep their shape after you separate the individual leaves of the core head.

We snip leaves off of multiple heads of each variety every evening and mix them all together for fantastic salads; the flavor and texture is out of this world and the colors makes for a visually pleasing presentation.  I've been giving friends and neighbors a couple salads worth mixture of the lettuces over the last few days; they are well received to say the least.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:00:02 PM by cohutt »

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2010, 09:50:50 PM »
Thanks for the in depth lettuce review :-)

Since my garden was a last minute decision this year I only have store bought Burpee and Ferry Morse seed right now.  Looking forward to expanding my options.  Quickly running out of squares but maybe I'll think about getting a few containers to try some of them out in.

Offline johngalt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »
Cohutt you are correct about the red deer tongue.  Very similar texture and flavor...I have also found the deer tongue lettuce to be a great keeper...it remains crisp and fresh after cutting with no extra effort required, other than refridgeration

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »
I'm back from spending most of last week in St Louis for bidness... 

Not much done this weekend other than finishing the junk corral, cleaning up some,

I noticed the birdhouse gourds were coming up so I needed to figure out a training system for them. I looked on the interweb at all sorts of funky trellis systems people had put in; I decided I wasn't that ambitious this year and just threw up a bamboo teepee with some twine up to the fence.

The bed is 3x3 and has a 6" layer of cow manure compost with Mel's mix for the rest.   I figured if the vines find something to run on they would make it to the fence as well as up the teepee trellis, so I strung some nice green 300 lb twine from all over the box to all over the fence.  The box is staked down and the bamboo is staked to the bed.  The piece of re-bar across the top has several leads running up the the fence plus I circled the bamboo a few times to give more things for the vines to grab.  May work, may not.

We'll see.....

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #253 on: May 02, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »
While I was cleaning up I set up a ladder i was moving and took a couple of panorama shots now that most things are in place. This is from half way back in the yard moving from front to back; you can see the  back of the commercial stuff I border -

Last year's beds and the blueberry bushes:

The blueberries, garden toolshed, ground cherry and flower beds....

The bell & boxwood garden with a small potato bed hidden in it:

The back, with the bean trellis, the asparagus bed and the three beds loaded with tomatoes; you can see all 20 ft of the gourd teepee.  

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:00:55 PM by cohutt »

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #254 on: May 02, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
Daggumit.   :o

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #255 on: May 02, 2010, 09:19:20 PM »
Love it! I'm drooling with envy :P

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
The beans in the back are coming along

First, one of the Henderson Bush Lima plots popped out of the ground while I was gone:

The "Christmas" and "King of the Garden" limas are almost ready to start climbing:

An aerial shot from the A11d squirrel killing drone that perpetually circles my plot:

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:50 AM »
I envy your supply of bamboo stakes...

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »
When I posted a few days ago I think i said the tomato was "borrowing space" from the lettuce; recent podcasts and slideshows posted by Jack learned me a new term - "succession planting".

Succession planting of tomato in lettuce

I actually did the same thing here with spinach but nearly missed the tomato to the right.

I am hell bound determined to grow and artichoke (or an artichoke plant at a minimum). I'm not particularly fond of artichoke myself but I do like the look of the plant and would be Mrs C's hero if I pull this off.   I have found these to be fairly fragile when transplanting and have killed two of the 6 that sprouted.   The two against my fence seem to have taken and hopefully will grown faster than the bugs snack on them.

Finally I have to post another shot of the spring heirloom lettuce patch.  We are nomming these plants pretty hard every night and their growth is outpacing our consumption so far.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »
If I may ask a question as a COMPLETE NEWBIE gardener, how much time do you spend "out in the garden" ?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #260 on: May 03, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
I envy your supply of bamboo stakes...

I have found two other backup sources since I cut these - there are several groves around that the ;and owners generally don't care if some is harvested and actually are leery of it taking over.

I like messing with it and plan on cutting some more in the next few days.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #261 on: May 03, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »
If I may ask a question as a COMPLETE NEWBIE gardener, how much time do you spend "out in the garden" ?

"Most all my spare time" considering the building and prep work I have been doing for several month now- beds, soil, fence, etc.

The planting/maintenance/harvesting going forward will be a lot less based on my experience last year.   This assumes I'll stop building chit. ;)

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
Oh cohutt, that is some beeuteeful lettuce! I have lettuce envy.  ;D

I have planted some lettuce which is just now showing signs of producing a crop to eat. Took awhile for it to take off. Should be able to harvest some soon. Tried growing it indoors under a grow light and it did not work very well.

Your yard/garden is inspiring and I really like how creative you are with solutions!

Keep up the good work and pictures!

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #263 on: May 03, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »
This assumes I'll stop building chit. ;)

When pigs fly.   ;D

Dagummit. 

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
« Reply #264 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:52 AM »
I'm back from spending most of last week in St Louis for bidness... 

Say its not so, Cohutt was in my backyard practically and didn't even bother to say hi :-(  Make it to St. Louis often?  You didn't exactly pick a nice week to be in STL, it's been tornado city the last week and a half.

I'm very envious of that lettuce!!  I have soem lettuce sprouts I finally got to grow inside and put in couple small pots (since I resorted to planting seeds outside in their squares already) but not sure if they are going to make it.  I ordered a packet of seed from SSE for your lettuce blend, gonna pick up some window box planters and some more compost to fill it with mel's mix and cross my fingers I can get some decent eating out of it for a while before it gets to hot. 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #265 on: May 04, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
LOL,
When I go to St Louis (4-5 times a year) it usually is for a crammed schedule day or two downtown with intense HQ politicking & schmoozing before, after & in between.

Re the lettuce:
You might get away with it if you keep it out of the hot afternoon sun.   As it gets hotter, water heavily then cut in the morning. If it begins to taste bitter before it bolts, leave cut leaves in the fridge for 24-48 hours and it improves dramatically.  Not surprisingly,  the condition of the leaves after 48 hrs is better than any grocery store lettuce you'll ever see.
If you don't want to wait for the SSE pack go to Home Depot or Lowes & pick up some Simpson leaf type lettuce (two I have grown are "Black Seeded" & "Elite")  Last spring we were cutting it until mid to late June on the hot side of our house- slow to bolt and manageable bitterness in the heat.

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »
I have some Blackseeded Simpson and some kind of Mesclun mix sprouted that I got the seeds from home depot, but "sprouted" is as far as they have gotten so far, hoping they take off soon.  The stuff that's sprouted is in the areas that I planned on transplanting my inside sprouts too but gave up and put seeds outside when I was having so much trouble inside.  I figure I can move the window boxes around as needed to adjust the amount of sun as it gets warmer.

Your trips to STL sound about like all the business trips I've ever taken.  The only down I ever have on them is the flight delays at the airport trying to get back home.  If by chance you ever have free time in the area hit us up and I'll see what Outdoorman's schedule looks like.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #267 on: May 04, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
cohutt how deep is your asparagus bed?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #268 on: May 04, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »
cohutt how deep is your asparagus bed?

the bed is made of 2x12s;  I turned the ground underneath a little, layered carboard down, added about 4 or 5 inches of mel's
mix, laid the crowns in, threw in a couple bags of bone meal and topped off with another 4 or 5 inches of mel's mix.   It has all settled in some since then and is probably about 7-8" of mix.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #269 on: May 09, 2010, 09:37:27 AM »
Ground cherries- Aunt Mollies

They are really filling out and spreading nicely.

Sneaky these little buggers- there are multiple little fruits growing up fast in their little green Japanese lanterns:

Didn't turn out like i thought it would but if you look you can still see several: