Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 2  (Read 190334 times)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 2
« Reply #480 on: August 25, 2010, 05:05:07 AM »
I didn't do a great planning job as far as planting what when where efficiently. It seemed like I was always rushing to get something or another done and ended up with a lot of open space in the garden that I could have used for something but then never had time to figure it out.

The successes were limas, and tomatoes- and gourds although I can't eat them lol.
the "OK but room for improvements" would include peppers
the dissapointments were squash (pests) and potatoes (learning curve)
herbs did great
the other stuff is/was just kind of there being evaluated.

fall garden will include lettuce, more spinach than popeye could choke down, broc and brussel sprouts, plus I plan on putting in a LOT of garlic and fall dividing onions / shallots.  I'll hoop house at least one bed for kicks, maybe 2 or thee if mrs C can stand the plastic view lol.

What else? Probably going to put in a berry or two this fall, raspberry perhaps.  will see.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #481 on: August 25, 2010, 06:11:08 AM »
Sounds great! Looking forward to more updates.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #482 on: August 25, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »
It seemed like I was always rushing to get something or another done

LOL - that's exactly what it's like - you chase the weather and the bugs but you do what you can in between working and life. 

Awesome harvest Cohutt - amazing garden and I'm jealous of you all who have fall gardens.  My fall garden is still my spring garden trying to finish before the first frost but I'm not complaining.  :D  The nice thing about winter as it gives you a few months to plan and dream and look at seed catalogs!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #483 on: August 25, 2010, 05:20:35 PM »
tbm, not that you'll think this is amusing given your Colorado tomato schedule, but I've harvested over 2000 now :)

sometimes it is good to be where it is hotter longer than is really much fun.....

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #484 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:39 PM »
tbm, not that you'll think this is amusing given your Colorado tomato schedule, but I've harvested over 2000 now :)

sometimes it is good to be where it is hotter longer than is really much fun.....

:o  Wow!  +1 for that bit of awesomeness.  I bet that canner is coming in handy  ;)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #485 on: August 25, 2010, 07:08:02 PM »

So, what kind of pepper is this?  Looks like an ancho to me, but I'm not a pepper expert.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #486 on: August 25, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »
So, what kind of pepper is this?  Looks like an ancho to me, but I'm not a pepper expert.

Poblano on the bush,  ancho when dried.
http://cohutt.wordpress.com/2010/08/05/poblano-ees-no-problemo/ 

It is supposed to be a mild chile but the single one I have harvested so far was, uh, ......  not mild.  Good, but NOT mild.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #487 on: August 25, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »
:o  Wow!  +1 for that bit of awesomeness.  I bet that canner is coming in handy  ;)

I did a couple quarts of whole tomatoes Sunday evening as a test drive.  It was a little unsettling to mrc c and the pets - they were all somewhat concerned that it sounding like it was going to blow at any minute.   

The tomato table is getting covered up again in spite of the tree rat assault on the back bushes.   And almost in real time I present you with the table behind your post.

Thanks for the loaner, seriously.  Next year I'll probably be owning one and a dehydrator.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #488 on: August 25, 2010, 08:16:51 PM »
I did a couple quarts of whole tomatoes Sunday evening as a test drive.  It was a little unsettling to mrc c and the pets - they were all somewhat concerned that it sounding like it was going to blow at any minute.   

The tomato table is getting covered up again in spite of the tree rat assault on the back bushes.   And almost in real time I present you with the table behind your post.

Thanks for the loaner, seriously.  Next year I'll probably be owning one and a dehydrator.

Yeah, I forgot to warn you it sounds pretty intense.  If you get one, I definitely suggest that model.  You'll definitely need one if you continue producing that many toms.  I got an air rifle too if you want to borrow that for the tree rats. Or a slingshot if you're feeling really lucky. It IS squirrel season after all.   ;)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #489 on: August 25, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
Yeah, I forgot to warn you it sounds pretty intense.  If you get one, I definitely suggest that model.

So, which model is it?  I have an inexpensive canner, but eventually I'll want to get a bigger model.

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
« Reply #490 on: August 26, 2010, 06:39:01 AM »
Cooking the poblano makes it milder.  I really like splitting them, deseeding, filling with cheese, and then grilling.  MmmmMmmm.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #491 on: August 26, 2010, 07:24:55 AM »
So, which model is it?  I have an inexpensive canner, but eventually I'll want to get a bigger model.

I let him borrow my Presto 23 quart pressure cooker/canner. And trust me it's a beast. I love it though and highly recommend that model.  I use it all the time in making jelly.  It is the biggest one Presto makes. It holds 20 pint jars or 7 quart jars. I think All American makes a 30 quart, but it is over $300  :o 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #492 on: August 26, 2010, 07:44:05 AM »
I have the presto 16 qt (iirc) that walmart sells. It has been large enough for me to be satisfied. They may also be on sale at your local store about now, too. I saw that they had the big water bath canners on sale here (GA) for only $18.97 when we cruised through the store Tuesday.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #493 on: August 26, 2010, 10:50:58 AM »
I didn't know that Presto had a big canner like that.  I only looked at the All American and was shocked at the price.  We have a 12 Qt. Mirro that my mother gave me.  Works fine for now, but having to do multiple batches to can it all would be annoying.  But they all seem to do 7 quarts.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Cohutt.

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #494 on: August 26, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »

Be good to get ya dehydrator sooner, learn from using it thru da Winter 'n Spring. Be costing more$$ next year anyways prolly.

Last couple/three times we pressured anything, we did it outside on da lead killing machine.

Just a thought. 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #495 on: August 26, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »
Got that; don't know why i did it inside, maybe just wanted to keep mrs c company and try and teach her a little as i learned.   The side burner on the grill comes in handy for this sort of thing; I don't need all the BTUs of my lead killer lol.
I read the directions (yeah I know, but don't act so surprised, sometime I do pay attention) , and it warned about burners over something like 15,000 BTUs.

I figured 175,000 might create a downright hazardous situation.   :0

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #496 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »
Sorry a little more threadjack Cohutt - I actually taught a canning class using our outdoor burner since I ended up with 20 some people and not enough room in my kitchen for all to see.  It worked good but had to lift the canner up off the flame even on it's lowest setting (DH put some scraps of metal on the burner) and it needed watching but worked fine. Just need to make sure it's not wobbly as with 7 quarts in it it can be heavy and definitely keep a close eye on the pressure gauge.

I have two of the Presto 23 quart canners and love them.  They are easy to use and easy to clean.  Lately have been using them side by side.  I know that it's been said that these are bad because you have to replace the gaskets but I just keep an extra gasket on hand and if you oil them occasionally they last a long time.

Now we return to the Cohutt Garden thread.  Thanks for letting us hijack your thread!

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #497 on: August 27, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »
Ok I have a garden question for cohutt. Did you grow yard long beans? I planted a bunch and they are about a foot tall but no signs of the little curly things that hold them up and help them climb. If these are bush beans which i don't think they are they are very tall. Any ideas?

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
« Reply #498 on: August 27, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
Ok I have a garden question for cohutt. Did you grow yard long beans? I planted a bunch and they are about a foot tall but no signs of the little curly things that hold them up and help them climb. If these are bush beans which i don't think they are they are very tall. Any ideas?

Not cohutt and I haven't grown yardlong beans, but the pole beans that I have grown wrapped the entire vine around and around whatever they were growing up.  They didn't have tendrils (the little curly things) to help them grab on.

I did a quick look on the net and it appears they can be either pole (climbing) or bush type.  They grow slowly in cooler climates, so maybe that's why yours are still small?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #499 on: August 27, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
tbm, to be honest, I'm not sure i've even heard of yard long beans before.

My pole beans are growing like kudzu now and have snaked in and out of each other and the trellis netting multiple times each.

Even though winter is still a ways off I'm definitely seeing the merits of using biodegradable twine or jute next time, as the whole mass can go in the compost pile. 

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #500 on: August 27, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »

tbm, to be honest, I'm not sure i've even heard of yard long beans before.

Well Sweethearts Mom - Two Blues Mama - almost the same thing. I'm sure my boys think I'm their sweetheart mama.

But to Sweethearts Mom - I'm with Cohutt and have no idea what kind of bean you are talking about and we have a ton of different kinds of beans growing right now.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #501 on: August 27, 2010, 08:55:32 PM »
DOH!, dang moms, momas, whatever.  I get dumber when I'm tired - sorry SHM.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #502 on: August 27, 2010, 09:47:33 PM »
Sorry to post to pics to your thread Cohutt... I can move to my own thread if need be.

I have the Asian long beans going... I do not have a single twirly vine thingy on them... the "vine" just tends to reach and twist itself around the trellis.  I actually have a couple of beans that are now over a foot long... they all showed up in the past 2 days (I was out of town) and was blown away when I went out to water this afternoon.

took a couple pics, hope they come out ok... had to use a flashlight...
The final pic has a bean right in the middle... it's about 17 inches long!!!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:49:57 PM by Greywolf27 »

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #503 on: August 28, 2010, 06:29:40 AM »
Greywolf thank you very much. I feel better and now only hope I got them in the ground in time to get beans before october frost. I really hope frost holds off til Nov here this year.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #504 on: August 30, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
Arikara sunflower heads (sampled by squirrels)

Some grapes might actually be up for harvest soon at the bol

It looks like chestnuts are going to be raining from the sky in a few weeks too, maybe this is the year I harvest them and try to make something out of them

and looking up this is the view:

After all something eats them eventually lol

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #505 on: August 31, 2010, 04:56:57 AM »
Odd pest/condition on a single tomato, it looks like this one has a peach pit in it lol.

I have NO idea what this was caused by, but is has not spread to other tomatoes or further along on this particular one.  It looks like a pest ate a chunk out the moved on (or in) and the tomato healed over and stabilized. 

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #506 on: August 31, 2010, 03:58:17 PM »
I'll totally trade you range time for chestnut pick up duty, just saying.  ;)

Oh and I would burn that tomato and bury the ashes... deep.  That is scary ugly.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #507 on: August 31, 2010, 06:54:09 PM »
My bet is some alien lifeform...don't stand too close! :crazy:

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #508 on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:53 PM »
I jes hope Bro C saw da movie SM. He got a booger man there.   8)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #509 on: August 31, 2010, 07:53:04 PM »
Even the tree rats are leaving this one alone.

I might have to call in a napalm strike on that bed.