Author Topic: T-Day ER  (Read 8612 times)

kaiservontexas

T-Day ER
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:09:11 AM »
I am not so much the nut now. My sister accidentally made a small but deep cut in-between the ring and middle fingers while preparing food on Thanksgiving. I had just showed up right after she cut herself.

She was holding a towel on it over the sink. I drop my murse pull out my tiny FAK and tossed her a clean handkerchief and told her to apply pressure. She did not want the gauze for some odd reason. I then took her to the ER to get stitched up. The whole family looked at me like wow he is ready.  ::)

I asked my sister where her stuff was and she said she had a FAK in the car. I told her yeah well I have one in my room, BOB, GHB (murse), and car. Get one for your apartment!

The ER was interesting. Nobody was there yet, but they were telling us many people will show up for stitches. It seems many people make accidents carving the turkey.

Anyway, I am beefing up and replenishing what I carry. I just wanted to share my experience and figured this was the right spot on the forums.

Lastly, pack a FAK at all times!

Kara

Re: T-Day ER
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:39:22 AM »
Kaiser,

Kudos to you for demonstrating good preparedness for your family! And, I must say, at least your sister had an appropriate reason to be bleeding on Thanksgiving.

I had a houseful on Thanksgiving myself, and my son decided to show off his dwarf hamsters to our guests. I made a loud announcement to our guests that these little creatures are mean and will bite them, so keep your hands out of the cage. So what does the adult of my guests do? Not only does she encourage her children to try to pick up these evil little furballs, but she does it herself, and then gets bitten to the point of having blood running all down her hand.  ERGH!  :P

I have a good enough emergency kit in my house, but it would have served her right had I wrapped a maxie pad around her hand to staunch the bleeding instead of bandage. They work in a pinch if you have a good bleeder and no large bandages handy!

millerized1

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:10:10 AM »
Good on you for bringing out the FAK and not the EDC pistol :) Maybe you got her to look a little deeper into her world, maybe prep a little bit without knowing it ;).  Sometimes, that's all it takes.

Must have been the weekend for "accidents".  My mother was down visiting for the holiday, tripped and ripped her ACL while out shopping.  Mom is, well, ........voluptous, Reubenesque, larger than life....bit large for her britches :). Anyway, she spend Friday afternoon in the ER and the evening doped up on Vicodin.  Wife and Sister-in-law helped her to the ER after a small crowd helped her into the Jeep.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:27:17 PM »
Wintersparrow,

I used to own those type of hamsters! Mine were nice though, but I played with them all of the time.

True maxi-pads do work in a pinch.

I think my sister learned hey I need bandaids and stuff, but also to watch where she grabs a knife! I got to rib her a bit for it. LOL
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:00:58 PM by Sister Wolf »

kaiservontexas

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
Millerized,

LOL the .357MAG stayed holstered. Though I think they know I have it with me, that or one of the 9mm pistols. Thankfully, I did not need to use that! Then I really would have stories to tell, ack.

But then again I try to get my sister on the gun band wagon. She is not anti, but she does not want to own one either. Anyway, at least bandages will be in order.  ;D

Pokethis

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:01:17 PM »
Great story.  You should have taken out the needle and thread and asked her if she really wanted to go to the ER...

lol

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:50:17 AM »
Good on you for bringing out the FAK and not the EDC pistol :) Maybe you got her to look a little deeper into her world, maybe prep a little bit without knowing it ;).  Sometimes, that's all it takes.

Must have been the weekend for "accidents".  My mother was down visiting for the holiday, tripped and ripped her ACL while out shopping.  Mom is, well, ........voluptous, Reubenesque, larger than life....bit large for her britches :). Anyway, she spend Friday afternoon in the ER and the evening doped up on Vicodin.  Wife and Sister-in-law helped her to the ER after a small crowd helped her into the Jeep.

I swear I LOL at every post of yours.  You must be a funny SOB in person.

millerized1

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:07:15 AM »
My wife says I'm just one big joke, and that I don't even have to take my clothes off to make her laugh.

Not sure how to take that ???

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 03:55:06 PM »
Well, you make us laugh w/o taking your clothes off. so please keep it that way...

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »
Archer, you have no idea what he is doing behind his computer. For all we know we could be laughing right now, but not knowing that we could.  :o After all, it is good to be the king.

All that aside I would rather laugh than not. I don't take much too seriously. Don't see a need to. In my opinion most people take everything too seriously. What is life if you don't have any fun?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »
Yes, people take life to seriously.... I need a few laughs today, not a good day....
I worked with a guy who had an employee that when she came in to work on weekends would work naked in their office.. He often got an eyeful walking by her office.

millerized1

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 05:51:33 AM »
Yes, people take life to seriously.... I need a few laughs today, not a good day....
I worked with a guy who had an employee that when she came in to work on weekends would work naked in their office.. He often got an eyeful walking by her office.......
....over and over and over........

Yeah, I understand the bad day thing.  I had to put my best friend of 13yrs down Sunday.  Every day he'd greet me at the door, Monday when I came home he wasn't there. Tuesday I realized he wasn't going to be there ever again. This week has been really hard on me so far.  Luckily, I have 11 more to keep me company.  It's not the same, but it helps.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:10:41 AM »
I worked with a guy who had an employee that when she came in to work on weekends would work naked in their office.. He often got an eyeful walking by her office.......
....over and over and over........

Yeah, I understand the bad day thing.  I had to put my best friend of 13yrs down Sunday.  Every day he'd greet me at the door, Monday when I came home he wasn't there. Tuesday I realized he wasn't going to be there ever again. This week has been really hard on me so far.  Luckily, I have 11 more to keep me company.  It's not the same, but it helps.

Hey, man!  I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  It's hard to lose a "member of the family".  Even those with 4 legs.
I wish you a quick "recovery".

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 11:26:54 AM »

I had to put down a 4 legged family member also yesterday. Only had him for 6 months, but he had a nasty tumor that was not going away. He had not eaten for a week. Earlier this year I had to put down another 4 legged family member who I had for 14 years.
I understand your pain.

millerized1

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Amazing how a non-human can become more ingrained into a family than some human friends can.  Since I don't have kids of my own (that I know of) these have had to ask meow for nothing. They ARE my kids, and I spared no expense to keep them healthy and happy. To be honest, he'd had hyperthyroidism for almost 4 years, went from 18+lbs to under 4 in that time so this wasn't a suprise.  He never suffered, until Sunday morning.  Then it was time.  No-one in my family will ever suffer needlessly.  My living will says as much as well.

Coming home and finding him permanently asleep would have been preferred to having him die in my arms, but it was peacefully and without pain.  I just hope someone can do the same for me when it's time.

Thanks, guys.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
My cat who died earlier this year lived with hyperthyroidism for 2 years off of meds. She hated taking her meds, finally I sat her down and had a talk that she would die from this if she did not take her meds. She decided not to take the meds. And lived to wake me up for the next 2 years. What did her in was stealing a sick/poisoned rat from a crow and eating it. She grabbed it and run under the the deck while I was at work (my daughter saw it happen). 3 days later she could barely walk, was walking into walls, and meowing all the time from the pain. I sat up with her most the night. Then in the AM I took her to the vet to stop the pain.
The latest cat was 17 lbs and dropped 4 lbs in 6 months. He hated to be picked up by having hands under his stomach. Then the day before Thanksgiving he stopped eating/drinking. I took him to the vet and they told me it was cancer/tumor. They wanted to do lots of tests and treatments but were not positive it would help him. He was in pain and could not eat/drink and was having dry heaves. So I took him in yesterday to sleep forever.

millerized1

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »
My cat who died earlier this year lived with hyperthyroidism for 2 years off of meds. She hated taking her meds, finally I sat her down and had a talk that she would die from this if she did not take her meds. She decided not to take the meds. And lived to wake me up for the next 2 years. What did her in was stealing a sick/poisoned rat from a crow and eating it. She grabbed it and run under the the deck while I was at work (my daughter saw it happen). 3 days later she could barely walk, was walking into walls, and meowing all the time from the pain. I sat up with her most the night. Then in the AM I took her to the vet to stop the pain.
The latest cat was 17 lbs and dropped 4 lbs in 6 months. He hated to be picked up by having hands under his stomach. Then the day before Thanksgiving he stopped eating/drinking. I took him to the vet and they told me it was cancer/tumor. They wanted to do lots of tests and treatments but were not positive it would help him. He was in pain and could not eat/drink and was having dry heaves. So I took him in yesterday to sleep forever.
I hate doing this, but here:http://www.angelfire.com/oh/turkishangora/gate/smallergate.html

I hate this site, because it both tears me up and tears me up inside.  I cry like a baby cause I know he'll be waiting there for me when I'm ready. I just hope it's a long wait for both of us.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »
ahh jeesh.... thanks. i think... i think my eyes are broken...

millerized1

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »
ahh jeesh.... thanks. i think... i think my eyes are broken...
Mine always leak when I see that. Time for new eyes.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:56 PM »
Great story.  You should have taken out the needle and thread and asked her if she really wanted to go to the ER...

lol

I did ask her that! LOL

Offline sardog

• Prepper
  • All bark, no bite
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
A real survivalist would have hauled out the Betadine, Lidocaine, Curved cutting needle, and some fishing line.  ;D