Author Topic: 10/22 Upgrade - Cheap and Easy (with pics)  (Read 34315 times)

Offline Swampy

• Prepper
  • The old ways, are the new, new ways!
Re: 10/22 Upgrade - Cheap and Easy (with pics)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »
Good information... I'm in the process of picking up a used 10/22 for cheap.  A friend wanted to sell several guns to a local gun shop, but with a screwed up stock, cracked front ring, and missing magazine... they are only offering $50.  I said for that I'll take it... I planned on putting it in an aftermarket stock anyways.

I looked at a few synthetic stocks online and many had bad reviews for accuracy.  What is a good tactical stock that will still allow me to use the factory barrel and be fairly accurate?

nelson96

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »
I looked at a few synthetic stocks online and many had bad reviews for accuracy.  What is a good tactical stock that will still allow me to use the factory barrel and be fairly accurate?

I'm a fan of Hogue overmolded stocks on 10/22's

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
I remain a fan of the stock barrels on 10/22.  They are lighter and at least as durable than most after market barrels I have knowledge of.
I've heard of some people "shooting out" fancy bull barrels, but seems we all know a couple folks with 30+ year old 10/22 with stock barrels that are shooters.

For my money I'd invest in the trigger group and bolt/charging before anything else.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »
Swampy,

I'm glad you brought this thread back up, because templar223 deserves an apology.

I see you have that bipod hooked onto the barrel.

You're probably going to find your POI is going to jump around depending on whether or not you're using the bipod and how much weight you're putting on it.

You should never attach things like that to your barrel directly.  It kinda messes with the accuracy.

Besides, with a good sling and some (Appleseed) knowledge, you'll be a better shooter than using that bipod anyway.

John

John was spot on! I apologize for not admitting so sooner and responding so arrogantly.
  • Don't put anything on the barrel it messes with the harmonics and screws your shot
  • The USGI sling is a far better method
  • Project Appleseed is awesome! They will teach you to be a Rifleman. No matter what your skill level I encourage you to attend. Don't even get me started on how cool the History is.

Project Appleseed! Become a Rifleman!

USGI sling

As far as stocks, I like Hogue and Advanced Tactical, as well as, the factory stocks. No stock should mess up the accuracy when properly installed. If you are worried, then have a gunsmith do it and ask him to float the barrel, unless you can do it yourself.
"Be Prepared" - The Boy Scout motto
Please Come By My Website - MakingAHomestead.com

Offline AmericanExces

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »
There are some sweet 10/22 upgrades out there. (I'm particularly fond of the looks of the dragunov stock.) Making a .22 do one jagged hole at 100 yards is impressive. But at some point I believe these upgrades surpass functional value and enter solely into the second type of cool world. I have never felt that my stock barrel wasn't accurate enough, or my factory stock un-ergonomic enough, at least for all that I can make the gun do. All I'm saying is these very expensive upgrades can make a sweet $200 gun freaking awesome, they're just not necessary in order to have a reliable, accurate .22.

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2014, 06:25:08 AM »
There are some sweet 10/22 upgrades out there. (I'm particularly fond of the looks of the dragunov stock.) Making a .22 do one jagged hole at 100 yards is impressive. But at some point I believe these upgrades surpass functional value and enter solely into the second type of cool world. I have never felt that my stock barrel wasn't accurate enough, or my factory stock un-ergonomic enough, at least for all that I can make the gun do. All I'm saying is these very expensive upgrades can make a sweet $200 gun freaking awesome, they're just not necessary in order to have a reliable, accurate .22.
Nutnfancy fan?
USMC MP '93-'00  NRA Life Member  GOA Member  Oath Keeper
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
- Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »
Anybody have their 10/22 suppressed? Im thinking about sending in a form 4 and suppressing mine.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
I have an ATI folding stock on mine. It was flimsy at first and using the sling you could have the stock touch the barrel. After I stiffened the stock and raised the top cover at the same time with an aluminum spacer plate each side, epoxied and gusseted to the bottom part it became better.
The folding stock lets you put an extra hold down screw into the back of the receiver, lots of material there to tap threads.

An aftermarket hammer and sear kit will make your trigger much lighter and cleaner as well.
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"

Offline ArtWinn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »

I just bought my first 10/22. I'll probably do some modifications down the road. I want to shoot it in stock condition for a while. A lot of great ideas on this thread. Thanks everyone.  :)
NIL MALI TIMEBO

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
I just bought my first 10/22. I'll probably do some modifications down the road. I want to shoot it in stock condition for a while. A lot of great ideas on this thread. Thanks everyone.  :)

Auto bolt release.  Even if you're a terminal cheap skate, at least dremel the thing.  Having to hold that down AND pull back the charging handle is too stupid for me to handle :)

nelson96

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »

I've probably got more rounds down range than the average .22 shooter with the 10/22's I own.  I've never felt like I've needed a single mod on mine.  Mine are dead stock, always have been, always will be. . . .  It's a great rifle as is.

If I did, and probably won't, I would get a heavy barrel for improved accuracy on our rat hunts.

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • New MSB member
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »
Any suggestions for aftermarket stocks (preferably under $100) for getting a better cheek weld using a low non-cowitness scope?
Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams
But all of that is changed now
They've turned things inside out
The truth is not that comfortable, no

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »
I've probably got more rounds down range than the average .22 shooter with the 10/22's I own.  I've never felt like I've needed a single mod on mine.  Mine are dead stock, always have been, always will be. . . .  It's a great rifle as is.

If I did, and probably won't, I would get a heavy barrel for improved accuracy on our rat hunts.

I hear you, but the auto bolt release...

nelson96

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »
I hear you, but the auto bolt release...

I'm listening.  Can you convince me that the lack of problems I've experienced warrants adding something I've never wished I had?  ;)

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 01:41:39 PM »
I'm listening.  Can you convince me that the lack of problems I've experienced warrants adding something I've never wished I had?  ;)

For years my son refused to eat oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins because it looked "Yucky".

One day that was all that was available for him so he took a taste with the sincere belief that he would barf instantly.

5 minutes latter he was refilling his bowl and really irritated because I had not made him try it earlier.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »
Nothing about a stock 10/22 is "broken".  Though I have personally broken many parts  because I'm a curious/careless/tinkering dumbass.  I must admit that there's no better way to learn how something works than to nearly destroy and later fix it.  Ask Carl about the time I wedged the charging rod UNDER my 10/22 bolt and had to dremel around a 1/8" without ruining my receiver.
:D

Back to the auto bolt release, this is a VERY nice to have luxury.  Nelson, you are the only person I've heard who's opposed to the idea.
Basically after dropping in a magazine with the bolt held open, you simply tug back on the charging handle to release and drop the bolt forward, chambering a round.
Very similar to most semi-auto handguns, where pulling back on the slide releases the slide lock.

nelson96

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »
For years my son refused to eat oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins because it looked "Yucky".

One day that was all that was available for him so he took a taste with the sincere belief that he would barf instantly.

5 minutes latter he was refilling his bowl and really irritated because I had not made him try it earlier.

LOL....  But I use my 10/22 and it works great.

nelson96

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
Nelson, you are the only person I've heard who's opposed to the idea.
Basically after dropping in a magazine with the bolt held open, you simply tug back on the charging handle to release and drop the bolt forward, chambering a round.
Very similar to most semi-auto handguns, where pulling back on the slide releases the slide lock.

I guess I've never seen a reason to have that convenience.  The bolt has such a short and easy stroke that I've never seen a need.  And I'm used to it.

If it was a protection weapon I guess I could see the point then.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »
LOL....  But I use my 10/22 and it works great.

I use mine too, and I have had a series of them down through the years.  But about 10 years back I decided to see just how good I could make a 10/22 shoot and I was amazed at the improvement just a few cheap modifications made in both accuracy and handling.

You are simply in that state of not missing what you never had.

Even the best truck on the road will need a tune up now and then, and sometimes upgrading a replacement part to better quality is a fine idea.

nelson96

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »
I use mine too, and I have had a series of them down through the years.  But about 10 years back I decided to see just how good I could make a 10/22 shoot and I was amazed at the improvement just a few cheap modifications made in both accuracy and handling.

You are simply in that state of not missing what you never had.

Even the best truck on the road will need a tune up now and then, and sometimes upgrading a replacement part to better quality is a fine idea.

I accept that notion and will some day probably have the chance to try one of those gadgets out.  Until then, stock is pretty tough to beat the way I use the rifle.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »
Pennsylvania game commission just tentatively approved semi-auto for all seasons. The final approval will be confirmed in April. Honestly I thought they were initially going to only allow varmint hunting for semi-auto. That being said I think I'm going to pick up a 10/22 with a decent optic before squirrel and rabbit season. So looking forward to it! 

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
I've tricked mine out to the extreme (spending way too much money in the process.  End result though is a gun that can put 10 shots in an area the size of a dime (usually less wind depending) at 50 yds every time.  The best upgrade IMHO for accuracy is a new trigger.  While not cheap ($200-300), the Kidd 2 stage trigger is an amazing upgrade.  So easy to install.  Some of the old timers here are probably used to the squishy crappy triggers of old.  Most new guns have much better triggers than those did and the Kidd trigger is light years beyond those.  Good trigger control is key and a good trigger makes it stupid easy.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/TRIGGERS_c_7.html

If I had to rank what's improved my guns accuracy in order it would be:
1. Trigger
2. Finding the right ammo for your gun.  For plinking the best for mine is CCI green tags or Eley Match.  For hunting Eley Subsonic HP hands down. 
3. Scope
4. Barrel (match bull)
5. Stock (fit)
Inflatable Goat in 2014!

nkawtg

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »
You're right on the money about finding the right ammo.
From a box of Federal 36 grain ammo, I get stovepipe jams every 7 or 8 shots. A real pain...
Switched to Remington 40 grain target rounds and I have yet to get a jam.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2017, 04:31:48 PM »
You're right on the money about finding the right ammo.
From a box of Federal 36 grain ammo, I get stovepipe jams every 7 or 8 shots. A real pain...
Switched to Remington 40 grain target rounds and I have yet to get a jam.

When .22lr ammo got scare, I spent $8 and got a lighter weight charging rod spring.  It now cycles anything. 
It still cycles even the hot stingers, and makes charging a little easier for the kids.  Not sure why they didn't just make them that way.

As much as I love the 10/22, I feel like we're defending a Model A Ford from the 1930s or something.  I'm not disagreeing that it "works",  but engineering has come a long way since, and there are now improved materials and some functional improvements available should you choose them.

I remember my grandfather restoring classic cars, and using electrical wires with braided textile insulation, cork gaskets, etc.  He was a purist, and that was his thing, but you can't tell me those materials were not since improved upon.  :)

nkawtg

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
Well, it is just plain fun to shoot.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »
Anybody have their 10/22 suppressed? Im thinking about sending in a form 4 and suppressing mine.

I have a takedown and one of the factory "tactical" models. Both take a suppressor and turn into powerful pellet guns. Nice combination if you have some .22 handguns to also use the suppressors on. All fun and cheap to shoot.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »
  The 10-22 bolt trick ,where you round the lower rear of the bolt allows much smoother and reliable action as the cocking of the hammer is then lighter and smoother. It is easy and can be done with a bench grinder and sand paper. Good photos on the linked page or Rimfire central page.

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/03/ruger-1022-cheap-tricks.html
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?