Author Topic: gals and guys i need help as a single guy  (Read 3477 times)

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
gals and guys i need help as a single guy
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »
i found a computer spreadsheet awhile ago and was wondering if i could get your opinions on it. i just thin it should be easier than the way the lady makes it look (just to figure up your food and supplies).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kStC0gv1xmE&feature=related

Pokethis

Re: gals and guys i need help as a single guy
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 05:08:55 PM »
Too complicated for me although I commend them on being thourough (sp?).  I just bought a three month supply for four of Mountain House food.  That is my emergency supply and then I've been gathering stuff from my grocery store and Sams as I go mostly dry and canned stuff.  I do need to really look at it though and make sure I don't have 20 pounds of rice and no way to vary the recipe!

Sorry I'm not much help.

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
What I did is keep track of what my family eats for a month, then multiplied that. I added in some extra of the staples, like flour, sugar, coffee, etc. You need to keep your supply fresh so you have to rotate. This way I buy what we eat and eat what we buy. Keep a list along with the meals you ate and the snacks. Don't forget beverages too. This is going to take longer then plugging in numbers in a spread sheet but it will be more personalized for you.

After I did that, I figured out what we eat that involves fresh meats/poultry. I then purchased some canned meats, chicken, turkey..etc. I use these less often but they are there when you need them and you know how to make a meal out of them.

It can be hard to find a system that works for you. It took me a while. I tried alot of complicated spread sheets and plans, but this is what works for me and my family.

Oh don't forget to add some powdered eggs and margarine (or canned butter). You won't use these until you really need them, and that's ok because they have a long shelf life.

Hope I've help some!
Kimber

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »
I use it and after the initial setup I must admit that it is quite effortless, efficient and FREE. Considering a lot of software out there wants you to pay for similar, albeit more thorough services, I am happy that someone else took the time to build something in Excel that would have driven me up a wall. Conversely, I think that the layout can be intimidating and/or overkill for some. Moreover, unless you take the time to print it out regularly it would be worthless in a situation where there is no electricity (EMP attack and such) so those are serious drawbacks. Still, combined with the Obsessive Shopper and the Everyday Food Storage gals (the Fun With Food Storage Network) it actually makes a lot of economic sense, particularly for people like me who refuse to purchase most long term food storage comestibles as I prefer to make my own. I also applaud them for actively incorporating the LTFS edibles with their day to day meals and finding alternatives for comfort foods (if you haven't checked out their bean brownies you should).

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:37:17 PM »
My wife and I buy things we know we will eat, then rotate them out. Also, a couple of years ago I bought a propane bbq with a side burner. It's fun to cook outside and experiment with different foods we have in our BOB. We found out that some things we thought would be good turned out to be a problem cooking outside. I had to learn how to make good biscuits and she also how to cook on a slab of wood or stones. The main thing is make it fun for now, try different things and through a process you will develop a system that works for you. Good luck and Bonn appetite.