Author Topic: I was wondering if anyone who crafts is stocking the away?  (Read 25297 times)

Offline keltikkat

• Fledgling Prepper
I was wondering if anyone who crafts is stocking the away?
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:17:43 PM »
I was wondering if anyone who crafts is stocking the away? For me it is spinning, knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: I was wondering if anyone who crafts is stocking the away?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
stocking the away?  I don't understand what that means.

amanadoo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:38:44 AM »
I think you're asking if anyone is stockpiling craft supplies, in case we aren't able to readily buy them at stores anymore.

Assuming that's the case, I pick up extra sewing needles and thread whenever I think about it. I am learning how to knit, and if that's something I enjoy, I'll for sure be doing the same with yarn. I think I remember Jack mentioning sewing needles as a valid barter item post-shtf. Makes sense to me.

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:14:22 AM »
I am! I have been watching for sales at Michael's and other craft stores for yarn, especially yarn with 20-25% wool. I have always had a stockpile of cross stitch supplies, sewing supplies, and yarns of all sorts. I have knitting needles and crochet hooks of various sizes. I have many sizes of sharps, tapestry needles and heavy duty curved needles.

My stockpile of fabric is less than ideal. It is difficult to buy yardage when you don't know what you will make from it.

Hobby Lobby is also another store to check at from time to time for sales on fabric and notions.

There used to be a Ben Franklin store just across the line over in Indiana that was the most awesome place for just about any project, but alas, they closed several years ago.

Something else I have stocked up on is iron on patches, they can fix many things on fabric.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »
I've been a sort of natural stockpiler of craft supplies for years... and I think it does go along with the whole modern survivalist thing... I buy yarn, fabrics for quilts and other sewing projects, flour sack towels for embroidery, crochet thread, rubber stamping materials when I see them at a good price. Then, I tend to have way more than I need at any one point. I'm thinking they will be good no matter what in the years to come. If no major disaster ever happens, I have a good stockpile that I got at bargain prices to use... if something bad does happen, good for survival and bartering.

I must say that I have bought a lot more sock yarn in the past year than I usually do... and in standard colors. I would hate to be the main sock supplier for the whole family, but I guess I could do it. I do need to replenish my darning supplies... much quicker to repair than to replace the whole thing if it came to that.

I also bought flannel supplies and patterns for jammies for the boys... they do keep growing. The flannel is also good for making homemade sanitary napkin supplies if disposables weren't available. I probably need to expand on this a bit. There are so many uses for flannel. I could also stand to stock up a bit more on basic all purpose threads in common colors.

Many of the Walmart stores are closing out their fabric departments. They have (without a doubt) had the best quilting fabric prices (for the exact same fabric) of any fabric store I've found. Knowing that the fabric dept. must not be a real profit center for Walmart and that they may be getting ready to close them all, I've been buying more and more quilt yardage over the past year to try to beef up my stocks before I'm forced to pay the higher prices elsewhere.

Offline CaliforniaPoppy

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 03:01:17 PM »
I was wondering if anyone who crafts is stocking the away? For me it is spinning, knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc?

I have been stocking away supplies, but have been focusing on techniques at least as much. I've collected fabric, yarn & supplies (needles, pins, thread), as well as "fun" crafty stuff for the kids.

I went back to college a few years ago, majoring in Humanities. One of the things that impressed me is that throughout history,  up until the last 150 years or so, women spent more time working with cloth than any other activity - about 40% of their waking hours.

They raised the fibers (wool, cotton, linen, etc), processed the hides, wove the cloth, spun the yarn or thread; knitted, crocheted or nalbinded the yarn, sewed the fabric, felted the wool, wrapped the skeins, rolled the balls. They washed what they made, and they made the soap (and the lye) to do so. They collected or grew their dyes, dyed the clothes, and drafted the patterns. And they did repairs when the fabric worn thin (patching, darning, etc).

So, I'm trying to learn as many of those skills as possible. So far, I've taught myself to use a drop spindle & a nostepinne, & learned how to wet felt a couple of years ago and have tried to improve on my sewing, knitting & so on.

Next on my list is to learn nalbinding, which is older than knitting by thousands of years and is a little more tedious, but which produces tighter stitches and warmer fabric. Because it is slower going, nalbinding is usually seen in smaller items like socks and mittens rather than larger items.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »
I've stocked cheap yarn (yuck, but it was cheap), and loads of fabric. I also save every scrap piece of clothing and everything the kids grow out of. I have some large chrochet hooks, large enough for making rugs, ponchos or blankets easily with anything. I've crocheted strips of old t-shirts into a think blanket that really keeps you warm.

I'm learning to use a drop spindle that I got for Christmas, but it's slow going. Truth be told I only tried it once and was a bit discouraged by my lack of instant skill lol. I really need to be diligent and get back on that sucker and try again until I get it. There are a lot of sources of wool around my home, but I worry that if there was a major problem those sources may be seen as food first and my "planned" supply would dwindle unless I got my own wool supplying animals.

I'm stockpiling hand sewing needles, and extra belts and needles for the two treadle sewing machines that my mother owns. She lives on my property, so I have access to them. I'm also in the process of gathering patterns for sanitary pads and different sized cloth diapers as well. Although I currently use disposables, once my baby is born I'll be switching to cloth home-made pads, and DH just gave me the go-ahead to get a stockpile of different sized cloth diapers to have on hand just in case (although he made it clear that he has no indication of using them - EVER.)

I also stockpile art supplies for the children, although I'm not sure that counts for this particular thread. In that vein I stock dried paints, crayons, pencils and lots of paper. I also cut up used cereal boxes, and save the large flat cardboard (front and back) for the kids to use as painting "canvas" - I have lots of guesso to cover them and create a blank white slate for them to paint upon.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »
Same here. I have a couple of bags of yarn and when Smiley's has a good sale I take advantage of it. I haven't done much in the way of knitting or crocheting of late, seems that when my stitch and bitch broke up I stopped doing it. I hand sew a fair bit though, at least once a week so I am always picking up hand and machine needles when they become available. Just last week the local dollar store had machine needles and oil for sale and I picked some up. while I know I can get machine oil cheaper in bulk I know small items like these will be harder to find and very useful down the road. I have loads of fabric and sewing patterns, whenever the fabric store has the $1 sewing pattern sale I stock up on historical recreation and other patterns, as those normally sell for 9-22$ especially the ones for undergarments. As for cloth, I keep a good amount but probably less than I should. when I get the barn straightened out (again!) I'll set aside some space for fabric storage.

Offline SurvivorStudent

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »
I had stocked away a considerable amount of raw materials for years. To me its like shopping for candy so I cant really call it a survival instinct, but the effect is the same.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
I have a good selection of patterns and lots of fabric and thread and machine and hand needles. I even made a pair of jeans just to see if I could. Figure if anything ever happens the jeans we have will eventually wear out. Since they turned out well I also added a bunch of zippers.

Offline Ori

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
I've got a ton of yarn stashed away, most of it recycled from Old Navy sweaters bought on sale.  They're usually made of decent yarn, and the xxl sizes are always the ones left -- more yarn for the same price! I've got a bunch of acid dyes in all sorts of combinable colors, so I'm set! At least for a while.... :)

Offline Aelah

• Prepper
    • Terra Del Sol Farm & Vineyard
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »
Of course I stockpile, at least for my fiber arts addiction! The guestroom has double use now... guestroom and mom's hobby room. My excuse for buying high quality yarn and fleece is that at least we will have good, year-round clothing for the family when TSHTF! If I like it and can envision a project, I get it. Though when Michael's has a good sale, I will also stock up on art supplies for the kids.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:41:32 AM »
I do these days, bit by bit.
I save all my scraps and am thinking of ways to use them.  When I see remnants I like I buy them.
I do plan to start strategically stocking, I'm thinking denim and linen are probably good for a start.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »
Joann is having a 50% off remnant sale.  Since remnants are already 50% off regular price, this means this is 75% off.
It's a great time to pick up fabric bits for quilts, hats, scarves, baby blankets, belts and throws.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Kayzonara...

Offline lavendereagle

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
Oh I stock pile and use my stash and just to let everyone know on "Black" Friday Joann's has an incredible sale that is worth standing in line for.................flannel at a $1.00 a yard or that's what is was 2yrs ago when I went.

Offline Bull On Parade

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »
I'm not new to the whole crafting thing, but I am new to making things with the intent of using them, keeping them, improving them, perfecting them. When I was much younger I used to do crafts all the time, I would use the ends of balls of yarn my mom had from knitting, or old clothes we were getting rid of. Now that I'm buying my own supplies as I need them, I find that I buy a package of snap buttons in order to use two, which means I have probably 13 left. I have more than enough leather to do multiple sheaths, I have one spool of each black and brown heavy gage thread (my choice for the majority of projects).

I guess my answer is that I'm not strategically stocking craft supplies, but as I get more involved in my products I will definitely start to collect more than I need. 

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
Joann is having a 50% off remnant sale.  Since remnants are already 50% off regular price, this means this is 75% off.
It's a great time to pick up fabric bits for quilts, hats, scarves, baby blankets, belts and throws.

No kidding!!!  I purchased two remnants for throw pillows, $1.73 total!! I love their sales.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »
I used to love their sales till they shut down the one in the city closest to us. Now it's almost a 2 hour drive to get to Joann's and the only general fabric store in town has tons of decorative items and very little actual fabric for anything but quilting. I do quilt and I appreciate them having a fair selection of good quality 100% cottons but sometimes I'd like to make clothing or something.

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »
My sis lives in Round Lake Beach, IL, which is five minutes from Wisconsin border. She took me to a Joann's near her house and OMG, it was fabulous. I had never been to a Joann's that was so huge. They even do framing, which is why I went. She had a 60% off coupon and I got 3 cross stitch pieces framed, one for each of my daughters and one for me for $169.00, which is a super deal. The piece my sis got framed was $220.00 and that was after the 60%!! It will be beautiful though. It is called Growth Circles by Ink Circles. You can find her stuff online at Ink Circles if you are interested. It will be a heirloom piece for sure. Mine will be too, but her's was much more complicated and detailed.

I love fabric, yarn, notions, I can spend hours roaming and looking, planning, wishing.........of course I can do the same thing at Barnes and Noble!! ;)

I will post photos when I get the pieces back. I will be going to see mamabear and her cub the first part of November so perhaps she can help her old mom out with that!

swoods

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »
joann is doing 50% off fleece online (and some other stuff is on sale too).  The shipping is 11 cents today only.  I'm thinking I need to make a couple of throws.   :)

promo code SHIP11

also EVT317  for 10% off total purchase online only.  I don't know if you can use it with the 11 cent shipping code or not.

Offline rhiannon.douglas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 03:28:59 AM »
I sell merino wool roving for fellow spinners on etsy, and wheni work out how I'm going to add a discount for tsp forum members

For now it's http://www.etsy.com/shop/heavenlyflowerdesign, I'll let you know when I've got the discount sorted

Offline Halyna

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »
I do ALL sorts of crafts and I am stockpiling too.
KNIT/CROCHET:  This past year I wanted to make gifts for seniors in nursing home and found a lady who sold me 500 skeins of yarn for $100.  So, I've got that and all kinds of needles and pattern books.
SOAPS/CANDLES:  Before that I learned how to make soaps and candles.  Often you can use the same supplies (e.g. the scents, the molds), so I figure that too would be a good SHIF craft.
BATH:  On top of that came lotions, body powders, body scrubs, scrub mitts, etc.
SEWING: Long before I prepped, I would make my own clothes and have tons of patterns all size, and all the zippers, threads.....I thought about selling them on ETSY but changed my mind. I'm keeping these too. 
WINE MAKING:  That's something I did long-long time ago I've come back to now.
BREAD: My next project will be baking bread in a solar oven.  I know nobody around here will have access to bread when there is no gas or electric.
I expect all these crafts would be of great help when the time comes.

Offline Fyrsprite

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »
I've been stockpiling 1-pound filtered beeswax bars, and big spools of cotton wicking.  That's probably my favorite crafty thing to do, dip tapers.  I've also been stockpiling soap making supplies, and things for mending clothing since I'm not much of a seamstress or knitter to actually make those items.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »
I've been stockpiling 1-pound filtered beeswax bars, and big spools of cotton wicking.  That's probably my favorite crafty thing to do, dip tapers.  I've also been stockpiling soap making supplies, and things for mending clothing since I'm not much of a seamstress or knitter to actually make those items.

Never thought of that... good idea about the spools of cotton wicking. Sometime, when you have the chance, post some photos of your candledipping process. I know I'd love to learn about that.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
I have enough beads to get me through the rest of my life.  ;D
The craft wire, assorted pliers and other small tools are rather useful to have on hand for all sorts of projects.

I sew.  Most of my sewing has been clothing and things like window treatments.
I have been collecting sewing notions.  This way it is easy for me to repair things or whip up a new project without running to the store.  Many of these you can find really cheap on line in bulk or real cheap at yard sales and thrift stores.
buttons
zippers and replacement zipper pulls
sew on hooks and eyes
sew on snaps
good quality thread  sewing and button weight
pins and needles for hand sewing and machine needles
elastic
safety pins
thimbles that fit my tiny fingers.

patterns  I have a box of classic patterns that I can alter for most things.
sewing books that cover alterations and trouble shooting sewing machine problems.
pretty 100% cotton flat sheets on clearance.  I have often used them for various sewing projects.
of course I have a lot of fabric on hand.  I pick it up cheap when I can.

Another useful craft item to have on hand.
A spool of wired candle wicks can be used with olive oil to make a lantern out of a glass jar.

Offline N. Cal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »
I have stocked away blacksmiths coal, extra horseshoes, horseshoe nails, and some steel for my blacksmithing hobby.

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 05:42:15 AM »
I stockpile yarn for my crocheting, but at any given time I have enough soap and soap supplies to keeps us in suds for a couple of years, and when that ran I know how to make soap the old-fashioned way. I can even distill my own essential oils if it came down to it. If the total collapse ever comes, I'm going to go into business as an old-fashioned alchemist!

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
For my birthday I got a nice Pfaff sewing machine.   It have a deep throat and can handle heavy weight fabrics including leather. :)   

I also love Michael's black Friday sale.  If you buy entire bolts you do not have to weight in the cutting line to buy them.

Another handy craft item is a roll of the brown paper they sell for painting at places like home depot. 
I have used it for wrapping paper, making sewing patterns and patterning a new shot gun.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
Do full sheep and llama fleeces count? hehe --
Cedar