Author Topic: I was wondering if anyone who crafts is stocking the away?  (Read 25281 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: I was wondering if anyone who crafts is stocking the away?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
My wife has a wardrobe full of yarn.  But you wont catch me complaining, she is knitting me a cunning Jayne Cobb hat  :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 07:07:03 AM »
My wife has a wardrobe full of yarn.  But you wont catch me complaining, she is knitting me a cunning Jayne Cobb hat  :)

We'll need a photo of that, Chem.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
Do full sheep and llama fleeces count? hehe --
Cedar

Of course they do. :) 

EOTS

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

I would like to talk with your wife. I have a DH who needs such an accessory.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 08:41:11 PM »
How science fiction got my wife into knitting...

The problem is she made an authentic Dr. Who scarf and she is only 5 foot tall, so I have to wear it and I am still 6 inches shorter than Tom Baker.

My daughter is hiding behind my leg, she wears a fez now, fezzes are cool...any Dr. Who fans out there?

Better living through knitting.

Will post when the Jayne hat is done.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »
But do you have your own Tardis???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWUrJU46M8

(DIY Tardis Vid)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
But do you have your own Tardis???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWUrJU46M8

(DIY Tardis Vid)
I so want a TARDIS.  I may have to build a TARDIS wardrobe for all the yarn...

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
good one, Chem :)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »
I've decided that the smoker that I'm planning to build needs to look like the T.A.R.D.I.S. It might be a little tough to get this approved by the family though.  ::)

Offline shastaw2006

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »
I always thought you were required to have a massive stash when you become a crafter! lol. I have quite the stash of everything - bits and pieces for any project I may have picked up in the past. In particular I have a lot of fabric and thread, as my favorite thing to do is sew. :)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »
Coming in late to the thread, but I'm currently making a Tardis scarf for my older son.  He co-hosts a nerd podcast, and I told him if I'm going to all this trouble, he IS going to wear it at least once on camera.

I always thought you were required to have a massive stash when you become a crafter! lol. I have quite the stash of everything - bits and pieces for any project I may have picked up in the past. In particular I have a lot of fabric and thread, as my favorite thing to do is sew. :)

I think it's just the natural outflow from the thousands of projects you want to do versus the actual number of hours you have to do them.  I've got stashes of yarn, fabric, sewing patterns (I collect the vintage ones) and beads.  It's scary when there's an earthquake.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »
Like all fiber enthusiasts, I have a stash that I'm constantly using and adding to. I'm sort of limited on space at the moment, which is probably a good thing for my boyfriend's sake  ;) I'm kind of a yarn snob and usually only buy yarn and fiber at my LYS or fiber festivals. In that sense I usually end up buying things because I can't get it elsewhere or I'm afraid it will be out of stock/discontinued next time I want it (which has happened before).

If you want to be really serious about sustaining your fiber stash, I would recommend learning to process raw fleece from animals. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know the basic steps and the necessary equipment. See if a yarn shop in your area has a "fleece preparation" class if you're interested.

Offline CraftyGirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 09:09:13 AM »
Denim fabric. Bolts of denim fabric. I plan to be the next Levi Strauss...j/k. I sew a lot and it just made sense to me to stock bolts of fabric. Whenever I see a great sale...I just buy the bolt. Fleece for no sew blankets, denim for jeans or jackets, shirting material...whatever.  I also pick up patterns. Garage sales are great places for those.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »
I've been stocking up on patterns for basics and bought a book on altering patterns.  I found a Canadian company that sells patters that have everything for size 2T through women's 22 in a single pattern!

I've wanted to stock up on a bit of fabric and was wondering what the best storage method is for fiber/fabric and also if there is a method of storage that will increase the life if elastic.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »
I've been stocking up on patterns for basics and bought a book on altering patterns.  I found a Canadian company that sells patters that have everything for size 2T through women's 22 in a single pattern!

I've wanted to stock up on a bit of fabric and was wondering what the best storage method is for fiber/fabric and also if there is a method of storage that will increase the life if elastic.

Plastic bins with lids is a good way to go. It will not only keep out curious pets, but also moths, dirt/dust, and other smells for the most part.

As far as yarn goes, you want to store it with as loose a tension as possible. If it comes in a skein, don't wind it into a ball until you're ready to use it.

Offline Oxymoron02

• Prepper
  • Caveat Lector
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
I'm currently making a Tardis scarf for my older son.  He co-hosts a nerd podcast, and I told him if I'm going to all this trouble, he IS going to wear it at least once on camera.

If he has any nerd street cred, you should never even have to make this demand.  He should show it off with pride.  "My Mom is so cool, she knit me this TARDIS scarf."

As a nerd, and as the parent of nerds, my Mom would be a freaking hero if she knit TARDIS scarves.  My son and husband would both NEVER take them off, even in July.  My husband is currently wearing an officially licensed Who scarf, and I attempt to pry it from him in bed every night.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »
If he has any nerd street cred, you should never even have to make this demand.  He should show it off with pride.  "My Mom is so cool, she knit me this TARDIS scarf."

As a nerd, and as the parent of nerds, my Mom would be a freaking hero if she knit TARDIS scarves.  My son and husband would both NEVER take them off, even in July.  My husband is currently wearing an officially licensed Who scarf, and I attempt to pry it from him in bed every night.

I love my nerd!  He actually said it will spend most of the time as a wall decoration at his house, which is pretty cool too.

Offline CraftyGirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »

If you use plastic boxes, I'd make sure to use a drying agent in the boxes. I sew with minky and some heavier flannels/furs. They can wick up moisture from the air. I always toss a silica packet into the box along with the fabric that's being stored.  Would you mind sharing the Canadian pattern company? I have a few of those patterns from various independents but have not come across a Canadian pattern maker. Also, GREAT blog! Boiled cider is now on my to do list!!

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 04:19:54 AM »
If you use plastic boxes, I'd make sure to use a drying agent in the boxes. I sew with minky and some heavier flannels/furs. They can wick up moisture from the air. I always toss a silica packet into the box along with the fabric that's being stored.  Would you mind sharing the Canadian pattern company? I have a few of those patterns from various independents but have not come across a Canadian pattern maker. Also, GREAT blog! Boiled cider is now on my to do list!!

The Canadian company is Jalie.  I ordered them a month or so ago & they were $15 ea I think.  The female selection was good, men not so much.  If you've got a recommended source for men/boy patterns I'd love to hear it-there doesn't seem to be a lot out there anymore!

Another type of pattern I had to search out & buy online was for women's undergarments.  Kwik See was pretty much the only Bra patterns I could find.

Thanks for the thoughts on storage.  I particularly want to store some fold over elastic for underwear, but I know elastic stores poorly & breaks down. I'm wondering if I vacuum sealed it & kept it dark...

I know it's off topic but thank you for the kind comments about my blog!  The cider was fabulous :). I try to sneak all sorts if preparedness minded topics is "subversively"...as a warning I'm getting ready to start the holiday stuff so there will be a lot of Walmart sponsored content coming up--gotta make the money while the freelance work is there!

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 06:08:27 AM »
I do not do any of these things people have talked about. I tried to learn to sew, actually made a few clothes for nieces and nephews when they were young and the only thing that mattered was that Auntie had made them something. I also no longer have a machine. I never learned to knit or crochet or anything else. I do have sewing supplies like needles, thread, various buttons (somewhere - haven't located them since the move) and will be adding to that supply just in case. But beyond that - nothing. I am curious if it would be worth it, if I have a few extra dollars and space, to stockpile some stuff to trade to others. If so, what should I stock? How long will it last or what would I need to do to ensure the supplies were in good condition many years from now? Would these items make good barter items?

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 07:10:03 AM »
I am curious if it would be worth it, if I have a few extra dollars and space, to stockpile some stuff to trade to others. If so, what should I stock? How long will it last or what would I need to do to ensure the supplies were in good condition many years from now? Would these items make good barter items?

I doubt craft items would be good for barter.  I just don't see that there would be much demand.  Those that know how to knit, crochet, sew, etc tend to already have an accidental stockpile of materials and tools.  They see beautiful yarn or fabric and get it before they even know what they'll use it for.  The vast majority of people that wouldn't have the stash also wouldn't have the tools or the skills to use them.

So, for instance, I knit, sew, bead and crochet.  But I already have the tools and way more yarn, beads and fabric than I could ever use in this lifetime.  I don't have any leatherworking or metalworking supplies, but I also have no clue how to use them.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 08:04:06 AM »
I do not do any of these things people have talked about. I tried to learn to sew, actually made a few clothes for nieces and nephews when they were young and the only thing that mattered was that Auntie had made them something. I also no longer have a machine. I never learned to knit or crochet or anything else. I do have sewing supplies like needles, thread, various buttons (somewhere - haven't located them since the move) and will be adding to that supply just in case. But beyond that - nothing. I am curious if it would be worth it, if I have a few extra dollars and space, to stockpile some stuff to trade to others. If so, what should I stock? How long will it last or what would I need to do to ensure the supplies were in good condition many years from now? Would these items make good barter items?

It might be very useful to have some basic mending supplies on hand for yourself--I can imagine a wide variety of situations, from slow grinding collapse to full on SHTF where you might have to make the clothing you already own last instead of chucking it out for a tear or a lost button.  Putting away a FEW (don't go nuts!) extra things that are small like needles, pins, decent quality white and black thread, and a few standard size buttons might be useful.

But since you have a baseline knowledge maybe you should look into increasing your sewing skills as a better way to spend your money. 

There are a few things that I think are good to have as personal supplies that either you can use or that you could put in the hands of someone who would be able to use them for you (there are lots of folks who know how to sew for example that you could barter with/pay in the right situation).  A good pair of sewing scissors-real metal that can be sharpened.  Scissor sharpeners.   A few basic patterns that could be used to either cut down other clothes or make new if you had access to fabric. (far too easy to go nuts on the sewing pattern thing--so don't!)  Iron on and sew in fabric patches.  a few standard size replacement zippers & buttons.  Things like that. 

What does everyone else think?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:04 AM »
I think more people would try to figure out how to make things if they were no longer available in stores, but it could take awhile before it got to that. There is such an abundance of "stuff" in our society, resorting to mending or handmade stuff could be a long time coming. I'd probably only stockpile stuff I would know how to use myself, rather than trying to guess what would have value for someone else... jmho.

Offline craftyam

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »
I do thou it was originally for stuff to do after retirement, because the money wouldn't be there to buy them later.  Now i do have a stockpile of yarn...but not all is appropriate for survival.  Maybe for mental survival for people who are used to doing stuff with their hands, for a little normalcy, but now i think of repair of clothes to make them last longer. For example darning of socks, before i just threw them away. But if there is no replacement that is a skill I will need and the supplies. I also am learning how to spin and have the supplies for that.  I don't imagine in the beginning there will be much time for crafts like I know it now.  They will be more useful.  And of course there is keeping the little children quiet and occupied.  I imagine we will all be working a lot harder at other things.

Offline CraftyGirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
The Canadian company is Jalie.  I ordered them a month or so ago & they were $15 ea I think.  The female selection was good, men not so much.  If you've got a recommended source for men/boy patterns I'd love to hear it-there doesn't seem to be a lot out there anymore!

Another type of pattern I had to search out & buy online was for women's undergarments.  Kwik See was pretty much the only Bra patterns I could find.
Thanks for the link!!! I'll be checking it out later today.  Here are a few (I have over 150 patterns) that you may be interested in:

Ladies bras, slips & underwear: McCalls #5651
Mens jeans: Vogue #8801
Mens pajamas & robe: McCalls #4244
Pajamas for the whole family: Simplicity #2290
Mens shirts (short & long sleeve) & casual pants: Simplicity #4760 or McCalls #2149 (no pants on the McCalls pattern)

Kwik Sew tends to be expensive (i've been eyeing an overalls pattern that I want but refuse to pay $12-18 for it - no real reason - just that I can get these companies patterns for .99 each when Joanns or Hancock Fabrics has their sales. Even VOGUE is .99 for goodness sakes!).

You can go to each pattern site:
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com     McCalls covers Butterick, Vogue & Kwik Sew.
http://www.simplicity.com             Simplicity
Then just search the categories. EazyPeazy

I would like to find a pattern for thermal shirts & pants. I think I can craft a pattern myself for the shirts but the thermal pants...i'm not so sure about. That's my next skill. Create my own patterns. I've made a few simple ones but I want to push myself further. 

You are correct. Years ago there were more options for mens/boys patterns. I've had great luck at thrift stores & garage sales. I just buy the whole box! One time I paid $3 for about 85 patterns. I discovered the coolest 50's & 60's patterns in the box. Well worth the $3 alone. Ebay has patterns too.  I'll be following your blog ~ can't wait for the holiday info!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
Kwik Sew tends to be expensive (i've been eyeing an overalls pattern that I want but refuse to pay $12-18 for it - no real reason - just that I can get these companies patterns for .99 each when Joanns or Hancock Fabrics has their sales. Even VOGUE is .99 for goodness sakes!).

Absolutely agree.  I get on email lists for Joann's and Hancock, and keep my ear to the ground in general because the difference is HUGE between full price and sale.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »
Thanks for the link!!! I'll be checking it out later today.  Here are a few (I have over 150 patterns) that you may be interested in:

Ladies bras, slips & underwear: McCalls #5651
Mens jeans: Vogue #8801
Mens pajamas & robe: McCalls #4244
Pajamas for the whole family: Simplicity #2290
Mens shirts (short & long sleeve) & casual pants: Simplicity #4760 or McCalls #2149 (no pants on the McCalls pattern)

You can go to each pattern site:
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com     McCalls covers Butterick, Vogue & Kwik Sew.
http://www.simplicity.com             Simplicity
Then just search the categories. EazyPeazy

I would like to find a pattern for thermal shirts & pants. I think I can craft a pattern myself for the shirts but the thermal pants...i'm not so sure about. That's my next skill. Create my own patterns. I've made a few simple ones but I want to push myself further. 

You are correct. Years ago there were more options for mens/boys patterns. I've had great luck at thrift stores & garage sales. I just buy the whole box! One time I paid $3 for about 85 patterns. I discovered the coolest 50's & 60's patterns in the box. Well worth the $3 alone. Ebay has patterns too.  I'll be following your blog ~ can't wait for the holiday info!

A couple of years ago a sewing shop was moving and had an amazing sale on patterns.  I have a box full of classic styled clothing patterns, home decor patterns and various bag patterns. 

There are classes to learn how to sew with patterns. Most sewing supply stores run them or know where you cna find them.  Learning how to alter a pattern to fit you or change the style is a great sewig skill.  Luckily you can find classes that for that too.  Look for old sewing books.  They often have insturction on how ot alter and redesign clothing.  They often have tayloring techniques that can be done by hand that can be used to alter or repair clothing. 

Thermal underclothes go together just like sweatshirts and sweat pants.  You can pick up a pattern that is similar and use the instructions to figure out how to assemble your own pattern.    You can take a part an old set of thermals and make patterns out of them.  I would trace the outline of each piece on paper.  I like to use the heavy duty brown paper that comes on a roll.  They can be found in the painting department of Home Depot.   Be sure to add an extra 5/8" around each piece for a seam allowence.   

Offline CraftyGirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »

There are classes to learn how to sew with patterns. Most sewing supply stores run them or know where you cna find them.  Learning how to alter a pattern to fit you or change the style is a great sewig skill.  Luckily you can find classes that for that too.  Look for old sewing books.  They often have insturction on how ot alter and redesign clothing.  They often have tayloring techniques that can be done by hand that can be used to alter or repair clothing. 

Thermal underclothes go together just like sweatshirts and sweat pants.  You can pick up a pattern that is similar and use the instructions to figure out how to assemble your own pattern.    You can take a part an old set of thermals and make patterns out of them.  I would trace the outline of each piece on paper.  I like to use the heavy duty brown paper that comes on a roll.  They can be found in the painting department of Home Depot.   Be sure to add an extra 5/8" around each piece for a seam allowence.

Very true! I have turned to You Tube (as much as I dislike electronics....they can be helpful). That's how I've gotten as far as I have with my sewing. As you point out there are many stores that offer classes. We've moved quite a bit & just relocated again. Stores aren't close (love that) and even when they were I wanted to concentrate on particulars how to install an invisible zipper or construct a bodice with boning. One venue I am interested in checking out more is Craftsy. I hear that you can pay to take an online class for most anything. I don't know much more about it than that.

I got my huge brown paper roll  (for patterns) at Costco. I love the stuff. Even wrap gifts with it.

What a light bulb moment!! Of COURSE...sweatshirt and pant patterns. GENIUS!!! THANK YOU!!

Offline CraftyGirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
Absolutely agree.  I get on email lists for Joann's and Hancock, and keep my ear to the ground in general because the difference is HUGE between full price and sale.
You probably know this but thought I'd share anyway. Joanns will take all competitors coupons: Michaels, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and whatever other craft store I don't know about. They'll accept printed &/ or on your mobile. You can have 4 or 5 useable coupons for one trip. I believe the managers cringed when they saw me coming in  :P

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »
You probably know this but thought I'd share anyway. Joanns will take all competitors coupons: Michaels, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and whatever other craft store I don't know about. They'll accept printed &/ or on your mobile. You can have 4 or 5 useable coupons for one trip. I believe the managers cringed when they saw me coming in  :P

No, I didn't know that!  Thanks!