Author Topic: Alternative to running- Airdyne  (Read 2796 times)

Gunz

Alternative to running- Airdyne
« on: January 23, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
A suggestion for anyone who either doesn't like to run, or can't due to an injury, etc.  I was injured 2 years ago and am no longer able to run for exercise.  (I had been an avid runner most of my life.)  One of my rehab docs suggested the Nu-step machine, but it was way too expensive for me.  I caught the Schwinn Airdyne on sale, and I LOVE it.  It has foot pegs where you can take your legs out of the routine if/when desired.  I was able to get it for a little over $500, best money I've ever spent on fitness.  I've been defensive tactics instructor for a lot of years and am a huge fan of MMA.   I knew several fighters who included the Airdyne as part of their aerobic routine, but never thought I'd like it.  It is a solid, heavy-duty piece, with a great warranty.   

AC

Re: Alternative to running- Airdyne
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »
I've tried the Airdyne and liked it too - not changed in design for something like 100 years. The stock seat is kinda terrible though, feel free to change that.

The Concept2 rowing machine is REALLY good but at $1500 or so, it's like paying for 3 years' running shoes at once. They're made for "pro" rowing teams and have a real cult following and last forever though.

You can go on about expensive toys but if you use it every day and get real health and use out of it, it's not expensive and it's not a toy.

Gunz

Re: Alternative to running- Airdyne
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »
You are correct about the seat.  I should have mentioned something about it.
 When I first got it, I thought the seat seemed okay.  But after 3 times on it, I switched it to a very comfortable bicycle seat. 

I used the Nu-step in therapy, I liked it a lot.  I almost got lucky on a used one but the guy discovered how much they are worth, and backed out on the deal.  I don't blame him, he sold it to the hospital for 200 less than the new price.
Thanks
Stay Healthy