Author Topic: Simple Fitness (Body Weight only)  (Read 4733 times)

230therapy

Simple Fitness (Body Weight only)
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:33:24 AM »
I was listening to #93 where ModernSurvival talks about fitness.

While I liked the concept of the show, I thought the workout routine (and variants) were not diverse enough.  I like to ensure that my body does not become used to a particular workout.  Whether or not you use weights of some sort is your choice;  wild animals don't have weights and they're in great shape. 

Think about your body as it moves.  Perform a movement EXTREMELY slowly.  Where you feel the burn tells you which muscles are doing the work.  Simple.

Given that premise, now look at getting your entire body conditioned.  I divide up the body like this:

Lower arms
Shoulders to elbow
Upper torso
Lower torso
Upper legs
Lower legs

You should try to do a workout that includes three of the six groups per session. 

Vary your counts and sets.  There are several simple ways to do this:

1) Ladder

Pick two or three exercises.  One starts at the maximum number of reps, the other at the minimum.  For example:

Situps, push-ups, and squats  10-1-10 means:

10 Situps
1 Push-up
10 Squats

Decrement the number for situps and squats, and increment the push-ups:

10-1-10
9-2-9
8-3-8
1-10-1

2) # of rounds in <time>

Example:  # of rounds in 30 minutes.

On time...you should not work out for longer than 45 minutes.  You are wasting effort after 45 minutes because the benefit drops.  Generally, I use 20 minute workouts at MAXIMUM intensity and 30 minute workouts for the majority.

Pick a group of exercises and do each in sequence for the round.

Example:  30 minutes of:

5 Pullups
20 situps
10 burpees

I put 3-5 exercises in the group.

3) # of absolute reps

Choose a number of reps and drop that number per round.

100 squats
50 situps
20 burpees

Drop squats by 20, situps by 10, and burpees by 5.  Your workout will look like:

100 squats
50 situps
20 burpees
80 squats
40 situps
15 burpees
etc

You should time this and keep a record.

4) Tabata Interval (beware:  insanity follows)

Tabatas are nuts, but they're great workouts.  You workout for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds.  Gee, that'll be easy....

I generally do one round with three exercises (usually with weight, but you can do it with body weight exercises).

The way it works is you do 100% intensity for 20 seconds.  Repeat for a total of 60 seconds (three times).  Move on to the next exercise without rest.

The way it's setup is that you do 5 minutes total work for each exercise.  So, you'll do 15 minutes of work for the entire workout, but that's certainly enough.  Be prepared to cry.

Working out is a skill.  You need to do this properly and should find someone who can supervise you and correct any errors you are making.

The basis for many exercises is the squat.  You must be able to do a squat properly.

So what are some exercises?

Body Weight

Squat
Burpee
Jump up on something
Run
Mountain climbers
Flutter kicks
Sit-ups (and variations)
Pull-ups
Push-ups
Squat thruster

Offline Alchemyguy

• Prepper
Re: Simple Fitness (Body Weight only)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:14:46 AM »
To elaborate on your "situps and variants":

V-sit
Russian Twist
Crunch/Reverse Crunch/Dragon Flags
Bicycles: http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/bicycle-crunch.htm (considered to be one of the best abdominal exercises)

Isometric holds, such as the Plank. 
Lay on your back and lift your chin to your chest.  Hold that for 30 seconds, then turn your head side to side for 30 more.  You'll feel the burn, and strong neck muscles are valuable.

Climb something; either a rock scramble (don't put yourself at risk on my advice!), or do your run up and down a set of stairs.  Work against gravity at every opportunity.

I like bodyweight exercises.  We do lots of them in the course of an evenings training.

KyFarmer

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »
Couple of things...

This stuff is a PASSION of mine.  Wife's a trainer focusing of functional strength and fitness - which as it turns out is perfect for this deal.  If ya'll want, I can have her type up some stuff and post.

Second - keeping in mind the previous point - what the hell is a Burpie?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 11:12:32 PM »
Couple of things...

This stuff is a PASSION of mine.  Wife's a trainer focusing of functional strength and fitness - which as it turns out is perfect for this deal.  If ya'll want, I can have her type up some stuff and post.

That'd be much appreciated. 

I bought a treadmill this year to at least be doing something but I'm afraid it's going to take more than that to whip my aging lineman's body back into shape. :-[

KyFarmer

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »
Couple of things...

That'd be much appreciated. 

I bought a treadmill this year to at least be doing something but I'm afraid it's going to take more than that to whip my aging lineman's body back into shape. :-[
No problem.  I'll work on it over the next couple of days and have her take a looksee before I post.  Probably only need a stop watch, a chin up bar, and maybe 15-20 lbs dumbells.  She should be able to kick most of out collective asses with no more than that!

230therapy

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »
Burpee:

Stand
Do a squat thrust and stop when legs are all the way out
Do a push up
Bring knees to chest
Jump up with feet off the ground and hands over head
Repeat until pukage

Google:  burpee movie
http://xercisefactor.com/view_video.php?viewkey=9e471f4d180b08d62b00

When you can do 400 in 30 minutes (with one 30 second rest), you're a MONSTER!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:15:36 PM by 230therapy »

KyFarmer

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
Burpee:

Stand
Do a squat thrust and stop when legs are all the way out
Do a push up
Bring knees to chest
Jump up with feet off the ground and hands over head
Repeat until pukage

Google:  burpee movie
http://xercisefactor.com/view_video.php?viewkey=9e471f4d180b08d62b00

When you can do 400 in 30 minutes (with one 30 second rest), you're a MONSTER!
Aahhhh....the slightly less deviant variant of the prison cell push up!  Now I got ya....

rmcculloch

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »
Everything you guys are talking about sounds alot like the physical fitness plan that my fire department has embraced.  www.crossfit.com Check it out, they are quick exercises that will absolutely destroy you!  One word of caution, start SLOWLY, do the warmup first.  I jumped right in and that was a mistake.  After doing one of the workouts I could barely climb a flight of stairs carrying my equipment on a call.  They can be BRUTAL, but VERY effective.