Author Topic: Bug Out/In Bootable USB Stick for prepper Library  (Read 40059 times)

Offline theadob

• Survivor
Re: Bug Out/In Bootable USB Stick for prepper Library
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »
whats the document name?  Im not seeing it.  unless Im not supposed to  ;D

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 06:07:39 PM »
Go into the already existing document "TSP File Library Project" and add your information. 

Doc

Offline theadob

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
is this the site you are referring to? http://sites.google.com/site/vidsecintro/ because Im not seeing it there.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »
Great thread. 

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »
Woops, my mistake, what document are you looking for, the communication/documentation project or the Bootable USB Puppy documentation?  The Puppy stuff is on the VidSecintro site under the documents listing.

The other stuff is a Google docs site.  PM Madcap1one and he can add you to the access list.  (Google docs is new to me as of last week so I'm not too sure about settings and security controls in it yet).

Doc

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »
Updated the document a few minutes ago,..  Test site is up for the group to comment.  Includes a short poll. 
Moving forward.

Perhaps a workable schedule is to have requirements done by the end of the week (2/5?)
Potential solutions by 2/12?
Budget for asking donations by 2/19?
And debut of the library by 3/5?

Aggressive yes, but doable.  May not be 1000% complete,.. but operational.

As for the budget, would should consider what the initial investment time (year hosting) should be.  Just one year, or commit to 2 or more.
Also, final host name / web site name.  And should we get a sounding from SW and Jack?

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010, 10:16:53 AM »
Outstanding Idelphic.

I wonder if the hosting couldn't be used as an expanded storage location or repository?  These proboards sites are great for forums but file and document storage is not their strong point.

I agree totally that Jack and SW need to be knee deep in this with us :)

I hear ya on the work thing.  Every time I think I have some spare time, it disappears.  Got WAY to many projects going at once and they all seem to hit at the same time.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010, 10:38:08 AM »
I wonder if the hosting couldn't be used as an expanded storage location or repository?
Should be doable.  Right now,. my main sight which houses 6 sites has a Monthly Bandwidth Transfer 9.83 / 3072000 MB (from cPanel) .

I don't recall what my total disk space is,.. but I have not used much of it,..  so a single hosted site, clear of what I have (backing up data to my site too) should be pretty good.  I'll gather some other info on hosting and post it in a few.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
Just updated docs.

Invite sent to theadob.

Yep, perhaps a bit aggressive as I will be away next week.

I asked in private on the docs, but am throwing it out here publicly.
Much of the information I have is used privately, but when placed on an open server, we will have to ascertain permission to distribute from the authors/owners.
1. Does anyone have best practices for doing this in reverse (i.e. we already have the content, and now need to go back and ask for permission to distribute openly)
2. Is this perhaps best avoided by limiting server access in some way (i.e. not open to the public)
3. Anyone want to volunteer for the position or "Rights Czar(ina)"

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »
Perhaps we need to start with zero docs and test and verify legality with each doc, (Maybe a group of users who could do a best attempt search for copyright).  Then as they clear documents they upload them to a read only area.   Anyone wishing to submit documentation could fill out a form verifying the authenticity of the document (or giving open rights to distribute their own private works). 

Editing might be another story.  Perhaps if someone wished to edit or update a document, we do versioning, maintain V1 when V2 is uploaded and then after verification, V1 can go to the great file depository in the sky (Not a cloud joke by the way LOL).

As far as controlling access.  There is already a TSP membership database somewhere, would it be possible to use that as a control point.  Possibly tie it into the user base so only TSP members have login rights to the Documentation library.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »
Update on web server:

www.hostmonster.com

We do not have specific numbers on the amount of bandwidth you can use because it depends so much on what is going on in your site. If you expect your site to be as big as MySpace.com or Youtube.com then you'll be wanting to look for something that is more dedicated or VPS. If you're getting traffic into the high thousands then it's time to get something bigger. We are only a shared hosting service so you're sharing the server with 300-500 other customers of ours.

We don't track in in actual gigs but rather in the amount of files you have. Each email = 1 file, each picture = 1 file and so on.
Keeping your account at or below 50,000 files gives your web server optimal performance, however we do understand that some of our customers may not be able to easily reduce their file count that far. As long as your account remains below 200,000 files your account will not be deactivated.
We have a tool in the control panel (File Count) that you can use to keep track of how many files you have so you always know

we can look at a VPS ( Virtual Private Server,.)  But I'll have to investigate the costs.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
Perhaps we need to start with zero docs and test and verify legality with each doc, (Maybe a group of users who could do a best attempt search for copyright).  Then as they clear documents they upload them to a read only area.   Anyone wishing to submit documentation could fill out a form verifying the authenticity of the document (or giving open rights to distribute their own private works). 

Editing might be another story.  Perhaps if someone wished to edit or update a document, we do versioning, maintain V1 when V2 is uploaded and then after verification, V1 can go to the great file depository in the sky (Not a cloud joke by the way LOL).

As far as controlling access.  There is already a TSP membership database somewhere, would it be possible to use that as a control point.  Possibly tie it into the user base so only TSP members have login rights to the Documentation library.

Darnit Doc - you are the voice of reason!

I was hoping to avoid recreating the wheel considering how long it has taken me to assemble all the files from various sources I have. I suppose that is the very nature of this shared repository, us all sharing the fruits of our labors.

That said, in terms of ethics and legality, your suggestion make eminent sense. Anyone else? An in-between the extremes solution?

As to list membership, is this open to any forum user? MSB? public? I dont mind the info being free myself, but it may be nice to drive some revenue back to Jack by making this an MSB benefit.

Offline theadob

• Survivor
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »
has anyone thought to ask our site owner (Jack) if its ok with him if this project moves forward with the TSP name attached?  I saw the test site had the TSP site name on it.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »
I thought someone had already mentioned that earlier.  Looks like it may have slipped between the cracks in our enthusiasm :).

I'll send the thread link to Jack and see what he thinks.  We should hold until we hear from him.

Thanks

Doc

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »
SW might also have some suggestions on hosting -

Lunar Pages has VPS,.. but could be cost preventative,.. the Shared Hosting I have is more cost effective, but we would have to managed the files and make sure that we do not exceed the 'limit'  I don't know if that would be a problem...as such anyway.

http://www.lunarpages.com/xen-virtual-private-server/ - cost break down on a VPS server.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
I don't foresee hitting a 50,000 file limit for quite some time.  So its something we could consider down the road if we start getting close to the limit.

Might even consider joining and linking PDF files in groups, so 25 food storage documents become one large searchable indexed PDF file with a linked table of contents.  Some sneaky ways to keep file count down but could prove useful. 

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »
I don't foresee hitting a 50,000 file limit for quite some time.  So its something we could consider down the road if we start getting close to the limit.

Might even consider joining and linking PDF files in groups, so 25 food storage documents become one large searchable indexed PDF file with a linked table of contents.  Some sneaky ways to keep file count down but could prove useful. 
My thoughts too Doc.  Also,.. For some copyrighted documents, there is a solution for that as well...  Some testing would need to be done of course but it's do able.

Offline theadob

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »
One way to avoid the copywrite issue would be to look for older documents.  I realize this may not work for all topics, but I'm have a lot of old cookbooks in the public domain that could be put up without issue. Because we are talking about a lot of primitive skills, older resources will work for many items.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
First: I'm not volunteering for anything.  :D

Now that that's out of the way, there's a guy who joined TSP not TOO long ago (I'll ask TW for his website, since I know he's been downloading ebooks like mad from this guy's site) who has a survival-ish sort of blog.  His library is AMAZING.

Before you go all committees and asking for donations (which, from experience, you won't get much of), why don't you check out his site, and send him some PDF's or books or whatever that he doesn't have listed.  Since he's already paying for his webspace, and already has the best survival library I've ever seen on the internet, you might not need all this organization stuff.

I'm NOT trying to discourage you.  But if TSHTF for reals, you'll have a dang hard time finding a way to turn your computer on to get your stuff.  At least the "Nook" (or the kindle, or the sony reader) can be charged with a Solio, and it has its own operating system already.  And it reads PDFs (among lots of other formats).  An ebook is basically what you guys are talking about, except that they have a lot more memory than most USB sticks (up to however much memory you can stuff into them with whatever card each respective one accepts).

I hope that doesn't get y'all mad at me.  Totally ignore me if you think I'm way off base.  I just don't want to see people who I care about working too hard toward a goal that has already been reached in a more efficient way by other companies.

-SW

EDIT: Oh, and if you really, really want a VPS, try A Small Orange - http://www.asmallorange.com - they're pretty reasonable on price.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
LOL Sis, your spot on, I just saw his site last night for the first time.  Pretty good.  I'd like to see an indexed searchable front end for it, but its certainly usable.

One of our objectives was to get the info in a downloadable full indexed form so that it could be dropped on a USB stick (Or a CD or SD or Micro SD card).

Just like the kindle and other devices, I have the means via a solar panel to keep my phone and my tablet charged and running indefinitely and with proper preps, we should be able to run small devices for quite some time.  Anything short of TEOTHWAWKI leaves the possibility to make use of the info.  (If we prep for power we are at an advantage anyway).

I like to work from what I call Base Zero.  I imaging that the SHTF or disaster wipes out everything except what I have in my pockets, and if anything is not destroyed (My vehicle, my stores, my house etc) that is a plus or an additional resource.  Helps me keep the possibilities in perspective.

We'll definitely look at all the options.  Thanks for your input.  As always, timely, and well thought.

Doc 

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:35 AM »
Thats Comsec on the board and the website is in his tag line. :)  http://www.survivalbound.com/

Incredible site, great resource.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
Thats Comsec on the board and the website is in his tag line. :)  http://www.survivalbound.com/

Incredible site, great resource.

Yup, that's him.  Go give the boy a +1.  He's doing seriously awesome things in the world of e-libraries.  :)

Docwatmo, have you considered asking him to let you work on his site?  I'm almost positive that what he has there is just a WordPress blog.  If you could work WP into your whole thing (I'm betting that he's not exactly a code poet like you guys are, and would want the same back end to his site that he has now), I'd bet he'd appreciate the help to making it more accessible by other folks.

Also - does he really not have a search feature?  That's kind of strange.... easy enough to add that code in there though.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
I meant a searchable index that can be downloaded to the USB stick or card, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Also, a searchable index of the internals of the PDF and text documents. (Trying to avoid scanning documents because of the file size)  Not necessarily search for a particular document or document type such as Solar power, but also search inside all the documents for a particular item.  "Inverters" for example.

Speed up the process of finding information when you need it.

Doc

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »
Oooooooh, that's a really cool idea.  :)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2010, 08:07:08 PM »
That looks very promising.  I haven't had much time since I've been home taking care of the wife, (And works gonna be a nightmare catching up after the last couple days missed) but i'll be digging back in with the proverbial E-tool some time this week.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »
This is a cross post from another thread but Doc pointed me in the direction of this thread.

Another thought, Jack was commenting on having some computer skills.   I've seen/heard mention of some people putting information on thumb drives.  If you find a computer that's functional, but without an operating system, good luck in getting to any of that data.  The solution is a thing called unetbootin.  From the unetbootin page,   More info on it at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Long story short, you load a portable operating system on your thumb drive and use it to boot the computer and then access your documents. 

I have one of those very small Acer One netbooks.  It runs Linux Mint like a dream from the thumb drive.  Very portable, and I can charge it with a small solar panel or run it off a deep cycle battery for a very long time.

Anywho, someone was earlier talking about Puppy Linux.  I've messed around with it a but.  Good distro.  Another advantage of puppy is that it has a variant called Digipup witch has some ham radio specific applications.  In an EOTW situation, a couple scavenged CB or ham radios, and a couple computers running Digipup and you could set up some sound card based digital modes to transmit data and images.  Might have some security applications amongst other things.  If jacked in to a CB radio with 4 watts of AM carrier or 12 watts peak envelop power on a sideband, nearly always will you have more reliable comms over a distance when using something like PSK or RTTY.  I kid you not, a couple years ago I started working a RTTY contest on the 20M ham band and I worked a station in Oklahoma as my first contact and I was literally running half a watt into 50 feet of dubious coax to a simple homebrew wire dipole about 30 feet in the air.  Your mileage may vary...

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
Oops...forgot to post the link to the Digipup... http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/114288

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2010, 09:23:42 PM »
Hadn't played with Digipup yet.  Gonna have to check it out.  Thanks for the link.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
Question - any reason I can't boot a pico ITX computer from a USB stick?

Just wondering, since I can get a monster huge USB stick and put everything OS related on it I could need, then use another stick for my data and programs... developing a custom application involving moving map GPS/synthetic terrain for a... project...currently in the works.

Thanks in advance,

T. Stark