Author Topic: Bug Out/In Bootable USB Stick for prepper Library  (Read 40057 times)

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Bug Out/In Bootable USB Stick for prepper Library
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
I have 1 micro motherboard, (Not a pico though) but its in the box and I don't have any other parts (including a power supply) for it yet.  It was going to be an experimental truck computer.  I would guess its a bios control somewhere.  (Puppy has a dual install config that can boot as either a USB or pretend to be a floppy drive).  Might give that a try also.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
Thou shalt post all thy results upon completion of das boot, jah.

Seriously.

If I can sneak away with 150 bucks worth of pico or nano ITX, then my power consumption and form factor will be perfect to fit inside the back plate...

but I didn't say that...

;-)

Does Puppy have wifi drivers in it? *ponders the use of a USB wifi stick...*

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
I don't recall.  I think it does.  For whatever reason I seem to think that it worked well with a cheapo USB WIFI stick that I picked up for like $20 at the Dayton Hamvention.  I've found that the less you pay for one of those USB WIFI sticks, the greater the probability that it will work with most Linux flavors.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2010, 09:14:29 PM »
Yes it does.  It works with quite a few cards.  (My high end dell card works flawlessly with it, but I still have yet to get my tablet to boot.).  I have a bunch of dell D500 and D600 series laptops at work that all boot and run wifi off of puppy.  I also have 1 newer E series that I haven't tried yet.  If I can sneak it away from its owner for a little while I'll find out. 

I also have a full run of Dell ATG laptops and it works perfectly with the wireless cards in those.  So far i'm batting about 95%. (My Dell XT tablet is still killing me though, and its the one I need).

Doc

Offline CyborgX

• Survivor
  • Maps don't need batteries
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
Ah yes, the notion of backing up survival-related data onto a thumb drive is one I can certainly get behind.

I keep most of my survival-related documents in a RAR file that I regularly append files to. This RAR file is stored redundantly, and happens to be important enough to keep on my encrypted 8GB thumb drive.

I'd eventually like to get a netbook, since it'd be low-power enough to probably run on a solar panel. I'm also interested in building a small dual-core Intel Atom/nVidia Ion based desktop system. I'd like my netbook to be similarly equipped with a dual-core Intel Atom/nVidia Ion setup. My current desktop draws more power than I'm comfortable with anyhow.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2010, 12:41:34 PM »
I did an R&D project for truck computers using mini ITX boards and small touch screens.  It worked great but the logistics involved with the system negated the cost benefits and I went with Dell ATG semi-ruggedized laptops instead.

I also work with Windows Embedded which allows a tiny base footprint  (but fully operational subset of Windows XP) on handheld or small, low power computers (Perfect for Nano and Pica ITX builds).

After seeing Rob_Ma's project (here:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=13722.msg152761#msg152761)

I am going to build a small version to run the handheld.  But i'm considering building a larger version to be a permanent base station for the Dell XT Tablet.  Its fairly low power, and I get so 10hours of continuous or a couple weeks of periodic run time of the battery slice when its full, i'm sure a couple days in the sun would power it for a week at a time.

I'm also considering doing a custom job with dual Nano or Pico ITX boards and build the whole thing inside one of my larger 19inch Pelican cases.  (Two of each part for redundancy).  It would be kind of a mini stand alone redundant media library powered by the Sun.  I Have everything I need except for the solar panels, the motherboards and the power converter/trickle charger. (Might pick up a couple 32 gig Solid State Drives for it too).  I even have a 12 inch 12v touch screen monitor left over from the truck R&D sitting in a box that would be perfect for this project. 

Now if I only had some real time to work on these projects. 

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2010, 03:24:33 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of a WiFi dead drop. Basically an arduino programmed as a frame buffer, wtih an SD card and a USB wifi stick.

at about 15 bucks a pop, it's not the cheapest way to leave info for someone, but it's not bad, particularly if that same info needs to stay in one place, or if you need a very small broadcast station to keep passersby updated on things. Got the idea during a conversation with a friend that owns a coffee shop. Wants to change the SSID to "display" his daily specials.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of a WiFi dead drop. Basically an arduino programmed as a frame buffer, wtih an SD card and a USB wifi stick.

at about 15 bucks a pop, it's not the cheapest way to leave info for someone, but it's not bad, particularly if that same info needs to stay in one place, or if you need a very small broadcast station to keep passersby updated on things. Got the idea during a conversation with a friend that owns a coffee shop. Wants to change the SSID to "display" his daily specials.
Ok,.. Have to ask.  ..  what is a WiFi Dead drop. Not really understanding your explanation.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
Ok,.. Have to ask.  ..  what is a WiFi Dead drop. Not really understanding your explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_drop

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »
Thats a neat idea OB.  There are some pretty interesting uses for something like that.

I can pick up POE wireless devices for $35 or 40, add a free or super cheap USB stick to the USB HD port.  Then rig enough solar power to power the whole thing. Put it in a waterproof case and mount it on a pole or some place inconspicous. 

Thinking something "Fun" like Geocaching but for information rather than trinkets.  You got these old brain gears rolling again OB.  :)

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2010, 07:05:36 PM »
You might be on to something there Doc. 

Gotta ask, have you messed around with DD-WRT yet?  I had an old WRT-54G V1.1 in the closet that I flashed that on to.  Now it rides around in my truck with a pair of external antennas.  Very handy during ham radio field day for setting up our networked logging software.  Even better though was driving the 100 mile yard sale last year, and I had no shortage of internet availability and was able to stay in regular contact with a friend via yahoo instant messenger.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
*hands you some assembly lube*

Sorry - don't let them overheat!

I have this disorder where my brain works continuously to solve problems, even when I'm asleep. I developed a paradigmatic ramjet engine in high school - it started from a standstill. Scaled up it outperformed the pratt and whitney jets in the F-16 at the time. It's a curse.

The real problem is being the engineer and the manufacturing staff. That whole bit about reaching the point in the project where you shoot the engineer and build the damn thing?

Yeah, suicide isn't on my big list of things to do anytime soon.

Just a tip - if you use something like an arduino, or a rabbitcore single board computer, you could power the whole thing with about a credit card's worth of solar panels. Enable wake-on-lan or wake-on-wifi and you're in business. Keep in mind it'll likely be sitting there for WEEKS without being used, and only has to transmit a few seconds worth of data, even to download a whole USB stick.

PM me and we can swap emails/cell numbers. I need to rebuild my development team. Stark industries needs some testosterone if we're goign to save the U.S. from trade deficits and global economic meltdown.

If you think I'm kidding, take a chance on the PM anyway ;-)

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2010, 07:30:08 AM »
You might be on to something there Doc. 

Gotta ask, have you messed around with DD-WRT yet?  I had an old WRT-54G V1.1 in the closet that I flashed that on to.  Now it rides around in my truck with a pair of external antennas.  Very handy during ham radio field day for setting up our networked logging software.  Even better though was driving the 100 mile yard sale last year, and I had no shortage of internet availability and was able to stay in regular contact with a friend via yahoo instant messenger.

I haven't played with DD yet, looks interesting and I know a fellow who is beeting it up pretty hard, but I have so many other projects going at any given time, its hard to fit another one in.  I do have a Netgear Prosafe WAG102 that I use well beyond its normal intended AP duties.  I carry it with me when i'm going to be mobile for a couple of days.  Bridge to all kinds of open AP's wherever i'm at.  Its a multi band and has some pretty powerful features right out of the box.  I have a 9dbi High gain omni antenna on one port and an 15dbi high gain directional (Hawking - HAO14SDP) on the other so I can usually find a signal.   

I also have my phone Bluetooth tethered to my laptop which works almost anywhere I can get a single bar. (Only problem is the sync speed is not good enough for my SSL VPN and it drops the VPN too much to be useful, hence the reason for dragging the WAG with me).

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 07:19:27 PM »
The real problem is being the engineer and the manufacturing staff. That whole bit about reaching the point in the project where you shoot the engineer and build the damn thing?
OB - I wouldn't really call that a problem..  Mine is at the other end..  I gave myself a interesting title of "Conceptual Theorist"  I can come up with some pretty decent / good ideas,.. but have no way to bring them into reality... 

So don't sell yourself short (I know you aren't from some of your other posts).

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2010, 07:35:25 PM »
I try not to.

I think it comes from years of folks around me being intimidated by my intelligence and experience. Overall I tended to associate with much older folks when I was much younger. 60 and 70 year old NASA engineer and machinist types when I was 12, 14, 16 - I flew model airplanes so there were a few kids and alot of old farts in the club. The old farts, I found out soon enough, knew EVERYTHING. The young farts just had shinier planes with fewer scratches from "learning experiences"

If you're interested in learning how to make some of your ideas a reality, hit me up. I'm pretty well versed in setting up a relatively functional home shop on a budget. I'm also a bit of a Jew (ethnically too) so I can probbably help get you a good deal on a mill... ;-)

seriously, PM me sometime, I might be able to offer some insight, and I'm always looking for new ideas to steal foster.

;-)

Back on topic - I downloaded puppy the other night, but had to get to sleep early so I could kick ass at my hearing this morning. ( I kicked a little ass, politely). Is there any chance I could toast something by booting from the USB stick? I'm looking at tweaking things a bit so that I can have a little pico ITX in my car along the lines of what we talked about (@doc) and be able to go between different computers without changing anything - i.e. have my GUI and everything identical on all the machines, and only some of the content would change. Kind of a security feature, since if the critical data is on me, and the boot stick is on me, then I don't care if someone "hacks" my car computer while I'm away, they won't get my gps coordinates, SOP manual, etc.

This is such a flexible, badass concept. Thanks again!

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2010, 07:54:38 PM »
No prob, Thats the model i'm working toward myself.  Just need to get a good LAMP server running on my puppy and I think i'll finally be ready.

I did pick up 2 new USB sticks so I can image them as backups.  One stick locked up at home and the other on me at all times.  As long as I image them any time I update software/documents I'll be runnin good.

Glad my insesent tinkering was usefull for something. LOL

Doc

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
Is there any chance I could toast something by booting from the USB stick?

There's always a chance, but the probability is minuscule.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2010, 08:17:07 PM »
Thanks. I just don't want to have to do a total clean install of my OS or anything. Been about 20,000 years since I used a non-native boot disk for anything - I carried a dos floppy around for YEARS with norton commander installed on it.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »
I did toast one NTFS partition, but it was my own fault.  I enabled some write to NTFS functionality and was experimenting.  (Typically it will read only from NTFS).  Asside from that, since it runs entirely in memory its unlikly to cause any damage.  

Although any non native OS that doesn't have all the original manufactures spec drivers could cause a problem.  I have run more than 40 computes off my stick now for testing and not had any problems.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2010, 05:25:40 PM »
Thanks. I just don't want to have to do a total clean install of my OS or anything. Been about 20,000 years since I used a non-native boot disk for anything - I carried a dos floppy around for YEARS with norton commander installed on it.

I'm working on a USB drive with Ubuntu on it,..  I have it running,.. but was a little disappointed that the software I downloaded and installed didn't actually install...  so I have to go back and review a few things on that.  USB version is a bit nicer and faster then a CD version.

Of course,.. I've got a few comptuers around the office that I can bang on,.. since we just replaced 14 of them.  I still have to wipe and load them for disposal.  Built (downloaded) a Net Boot disk, then map to a share with all the tools,..  Nuke the drive, and then ghost it with a XP load 'Factory Ready'...  Takes 2 days for the nuke (I do a DoD level Wipe) then 30min for the load....

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »
I'll take one!

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
LOL, sounds just like me, I have 9 on the deck waiting to be wiped.   Its the lowest item on my priority list so they just keep sitting there taking up space.

Do you donate them?  I put them on a "Free" table at work for anyone who wants a basic pc. (Generally I put Ubunto on them unless they came with an OEM Windows XP License).  If they are still there after a week, I have a couple of churches that will take them and distribute them.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »
I'd love the time to sit down and build a cluster..  But.. not in the cards.

We are a NPO - and purchased as part of a grant.  So they will be donated or something along those lines...  Not my issue to be concerned with.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
OIC.

Well, I know this handy dandy little nonprofit... ;-)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »
Got Ubuntu to install, but now I wonder if it's the right OS - for this task.  I like the OS,.. but installing software doesn't work (right).  I've installed some software only for it to be gone after reboot.  So either I didn't build it right, or it is not working as I thought it would..

I will try Puppy,.. but I have more experience with Ubuntu.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
I think you'll like puppy.  Its a little cleaner than Ubuntu.  They tried to make Ubuntu too "Windows Like" and l think they messed it up.  (Some of the early builds were good but the latest stuff is just bulky and kind of overdone.  I've had some trouble with installs on just about every linux distro though, I am just not a fan of linux install methodology.  Its too complex and requires too much outside influence from the vendors.  (Or I just need more experience with it LOL :) )

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
Puppy is up and wagging..  Did get Pidgin installed, and OpenOffice.  There are some other apps I hope to find,.. but since I just go them running, will have to see.

One thing I need to find is a folder to store docs so I can find them... 

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2010, 05:58:02 PM »
Did you do the bootable USB puppy install or are you just running off a local machine?

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »
It's installed and running from the USB drive.  It's just sitting there running along now. Even changed the back ground image.. though I'd rather have one of my own images up.. 

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »
Just browse out to the USB stick its running on and build a folder.  I'm running off of 3 USB sticks right now.  an 8 Gig, a 16 gig and i'm working on a 32 gig to replace both of them.  I use the default secure storage folder for secure stuff and the open folder on the USB stick for bulk storage.  I am playing around with a 250 gig portable hard drive also for performance and storage, but I prefer the more durable USB stick.