Author Topic: Bug Out/In Bootable USB Stick for prepper Library  (Read 40050 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: Bug Out/In Bootable USB Stick for prepper Library
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2010, 07:25:05 AM »
Just browse out to the USB stick its running on and build a folder.  I'm running off of 3 USB sticks right now.  an 8 Gig, a 16 gig and i'm working on a 32 gig to replace both of them. 

It is however good to have a back up.  I haven't tried it yet,.. but I think a simply copy (maybe) should work. Redundancy...  1 is none, 2 is one. 

I use the default secure storage folder for secure stuff and the open folder on the USB stick for bulk storage.  I am playing around with a 250 gig portable hard drive also for performance and storage, but I prefer the more durable USB stick.

I have a 250GB drive I run many of my apps from, they are Portable apps.  Mail, IM, Browser, Picture Editing, CD Burning and more, but it's not something that will just pop in a pocket.  And if you look at the Baby Soda Bottles Thread, a Thumb drive will fit in one of those, but a 250GB external HD won't.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »
The 250 GIG is my backup drive also.  Everything on the USB sticks is copied over that (I also use a passworded ZIP file for all the items in the secure storage folder).  This also gets backed up to a 4 disk 2 TB raid 5 NAS at home weekly.  The whole situation works very well.

I have my EDC laptop bag so the USB HD is always with me. 

Let me know how many machines you boot from it.  I'm at 99% so far.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
I'm going to have to do a post about thermoforming plastic, so everyone can make their own waterproof enclosures for electronics.

Sounds like that 250 gig drive would come in handy in a SHTF situation if you had a need for any of those applications?

Is it one of the "pocket" 2.5"  drives that runs about a half inch thick, or something more like a MyBook? I've got a 250 gig maxtor drive that we back up our office documents to, and it would fit into an AR-15 magazine pouch, with room for a USB cable and the wall wart.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »
I have two of these, one with each laptop for backups.  One is red the other is black.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4183648&CatId=4225