Author Topic: Rarely on sale-long shelf life, good stockup items  (Read 1993 times)

Offline spisblog

• Prepper
    • Spisblog's Journal
Rarely on sale-long shelf life, good stockup items
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »
The idea of this topic is to discuss everyday use items that are rarely on sale but when found on sale are awesome opportunity buys worth stocking up on.

Here's a few I've found recently-

Water softener salt (at Kroger), kitty litter (Menards), and whole house inline water filter cartridges (Menards- using their 15% bag sale).

These can be great savings- often over 50%.  Add a coupon or two and the savings are even better.

I've been seeing a lot of great loss-leaders from Menards lately.  Some are Menards' rebate checks, others are sale prices.

For around $80 we'll have over a years worth of filtered/ softened well water.  Gotta love that!

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
Re: Rarely on sale-long shelf life, good stockup items
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
Looks like you found some deals, right before Christmas our grocery store ran a sale on Whole free range chickens for $4.99 each which around Seattle is about a 1/4 to 1/3 the price normally. We grabbed up all they had in the case (12) the guy at the checkout called the manager to see if there was a limit but they didn't put one up yet, so we got them. The next day I went back to get more and they put up a sign with a limit of 2 so I got 2 more... :D

That deal should last us for the year, not that they don't go on sale but usually there is a limit. I'm always shopping for loss leaders and then stocking up!

Offline spisblog

• Prepper
    • Spisblog's Journal
Re: Rarely on sale-long shelf life, good stockup items
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:57:21 PM »
Awesome deal on the chicken!  I'll have to watch for sales like that.

That reminded me, Menards sold out of the kitty litter that I mentioned.  I ended up with a raincheck for the limit of 5.  That was nice, since I didn't have to lay out the cash at the time.  Looking back, I should have gone back day-after-day and got more rainchecks.  They were only good for 90 days, but that would have helped spread out the expense.

Walgreens will occasionally do really good loss leaders on facial tissues, toilet paper, etc.  Add a coupon and there's some awesome deals to be had.  My wife and I will each go in and buy our limits every day of the week on the way home from work.