Author Topic: The RF Connection gets an F  (Read 2604 times)

AC

The RF Connection gets an F
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »
I am trying to get the Molex connector and pins for my Icom IC-720A. Not an unusual radio, not an unusual connector.

I tried ordering it from a company familiar to hams called The RF Connection.

I got the correct plastic Molex shell, the female pins are too big.

Cue now a long email exchange in they insist my radio's been modified etc.

I finally ask for a refund. I am glad I did not send big money to these folks for anything.

This has convinced me that mail order of any type is going to become difficult to untenable in these doom times. It's hard as hell to get things that used to be easy to get face-to-face, mail order is going to be so difficult as to amount to a LOT of anxiety and essentially throwing your money down the rabbit hole.

FACE-TO-FACE IS ALWAYS CHEAPER a lesson I'd learned but kinda forgot I guess, from my Ebay days.

(I'm probably going to end up selling the radio as-is, where-is, untested, so I can put more money into ammo. This is just not worth it.)

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: The RF Connection gets an F
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »
AC try AES http://www.aesham.com/index.html  call them directly or email them they are a great place. All employees are hams tell them the model and what you want. They have so much trade-in stuff they probably have a cable for the 720a there. I think that was made until 88 or 90. If you just want parts for the connector I'm sure they can fix you up

AC

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
I can't afford $20 cables, in fact I can hardly afford the $6 I spent on this wild goose chase, that's it, enough.

The radio is for sale in the swap meet section.

AC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:51:57 PM »
OK this has gotten bad, I've had to report their emails as spam, hopefully that blocks them. I tried to get them to send male pins to match the female ones they sent me, no-go, too complicated or sensible I guess.

F MINUS.