Finance and Economics > Investing and Saving

Any suggestions on the best place to get silver?

(1/5) > >>

Trusty Mutsi:
I liked the suggestion to buy $20 of silver a month for a year. It's a small beginning step we can afford. Any advice on where to get it?

Thanks for any help! :)

zula:
Me I check coin dealers ;D

BigDanInTX:
eBay, local coin shops.  Just be sure to check current prices so you know what you SHOULD be paying for it...

http://monex.com/liveprices

If you're buying bullion, it'll be at a bit more than the rate shown.  If you're buying the 90% pre-1965 silver coins (dimes, quarters, halves) expect to pay just above that price.  If you're buying silver dollars, expect to pay somewhere in between.

Many coin shops are holding inventory of things they paid more than they're currently worth, so they may only be letting some of it go at a time.  There's another post in this sub-forum about buying "junk" silver (the pre-1965 coins), so be sure to check that out.  =-]

Tactical Badger:
I just started doing this myself.  As luck would have it, I have a coin shop a mile or so from my office.  I've been in there twice so far.  I told the owner I wanted to buy some junk silver coins.  He pulled out a box filled with tubes of silver dimes, quarters, etc and asked me how much I wanted.  He looked up the spot price right then and we came to an agreement.  Piece of cake.  Just make sure you know about what you should be paying before you go into a shop.  He knew why I was buying them, and fully understood.

The second time I went in, I was the only one in the shop.  He made a really good deal on some more dimes and we talked politics for a bit.  He also told me a story about a little old lady who had a couple of gold coins from "the old country".  These coins saved this woman's bacon.  He gave her over spot because he felt sorry for her and he knew he'd eventually get his money out of them.

If you can find a shop locally, I'd do that.  It's by far the easiest thing to do.  Plus, if you become a regular customer, you're bound to get  treated better.

Trusty Mutsi:
Cool, thanks guys. Sorry if some of my questions seem stupid. I believe I'm an intelligent man, but I'm frighteningly uninformed and uneducated (through no one's fault but my own) in certain ways, such as politics, economy, and where to buy silver ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version