Author Topic: What are you preparing for and how much?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline survivalcave

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
What are you preparing for and how much?
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »
We are a manufacturer of freeze dried food and are always interested to hear what people are preparing for. Often we get hit by hurricanes on the east coast but there are so many other things to worry about now days that I thought I would ask what everyone else is preparing for. Also I would love to hear your ideas on how much people should have on hand.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: What are you preparing for and how much?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »
First let me say, "Welcome to the TSP forums survivalcave." Please stop by the Intro Thread and introduce yourself to the forum members.

Where I live now and at this time the most probable emergencies that I would have to face are winter storms and power outages. Otherwise, for the most part, I don't prepare for any real specific reasons. Which is to say that while I do understand that there are many potential problems out there that could disrupt my life, most of them would require me to have the same preps in place to make them manageable.

I have a little less than a year's worth of food storage.

I believe that everyone should have at least a week's worth of food on hand though I wish everyone would store more and know that most folks only have enough for a couple of days at most.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
Our main preps are geared to a wide spread power outage caused by _________. You fill in the blank. Ice storms, dumb asses, tornados, earthquake, EMP, zombies, ect. We figure if we follow a few rules such as, having everything on hand, no power use, survival without dependance on outside support. That the preparations for other events would kind of fall in line.

I also prepare heavily for the possibility of being stranded in my vehicle some distance from home.

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 02:00:05 PM »
Our main preps are geared to a wide spread power outage caused by _________. You fill in the blank. Ice storms, dumb asses, tornados, earthquake, EMP, zombies, ect. We figure if we follow a few rules such as, having everything on hand, no power use, survival without dependance on outside support. That the preparations for other events would kind of fall in line. Being unemployed, sick/injured, inflation, or mass devaluation of the dollar.

I also prepare heavily for the possibility of being stranded in my vehicle some distance from home.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »
We prepare for snow and ice storms and power outages mostly, but also in case of economic hardship.  We are fairly remote and I only go shopping once every two - four weeks.  We believe in buying in bulk and buying when it's cheaper...prices are only going to go up.
We try to keep a year's worth on hand, though I have more of some of the super long term things like wheat and rice. We also grow and preserve a lot.

Offline cranston

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
Ninety Days-
Rather than trying to go longer, I'm working toward "fleshing out" that time frame, which will get us through between the end of one year's supply of garden, foraged and hunted foods to the start of the next growing season where early garden and foraged items can be used to suppliment our preserved and canned food diet.

I'm also working to expand fuel and renewable/long term and nonrenewable resources so we're not just sitting in the cold and dark eating wheatberries. ???