Author Topic: LDS site with MUCHO info  (Read 44844 times)

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
LDS site with MUCHO info
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:00:52 PM »
Although I am not Mormon (evang Christian), this site has lots of canning/food info, thought I would pass it on.

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
Re: LDS site with MUCHO info
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:51:04 PM »
Hey Gunnywag, the link is missing?

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »
Hey Gunnywag, the link is missing?

Not sure if this is the one he wanted to post but I'll post it anyway.  You can get the LDS Storehouse locations and phone numbers from this link and also their inventory list.
http://www.providentliving.org/  TBM

Offline Periwinkle

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »
FYI ~ just to let y'all know..........
after listening to that great podcast with Tammy on it, I called my local LDS cannery.  I live in FL and I called and talked to the one nearest to my house, and I was told that they are for members ONLY.  The man there told me that to his knowledge they are all like that.  I have no idea if that's true or not, but he didn't know of any that were for the general public.  I also know of one near Farmington, New Mexico (from having someone there say so) that it is for members only too.

So I suggest if anyone wants to visit their local LDS cannery, you might want to call first in case it is for members only.

Take care all.

Offline rod

• Prepper
  • He's staring me down 10 ft. away.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 06:46:45 PM »
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&productId=10151&langId=-1

From this link anyone can order grain and beans packed in #10 cans for long term storage.

Offline cerakoter

• Prepper
    • www.cerakote.info
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
A member can purchase for you, but the one here does not allow walk-ins.  My Mormon friend at work hooked me up with a ton of stuff through that websites order sheet at a fraction of COSTCO. 

They have no problems helping others prepare by selling food (less mouths for the church to feed in times of need) but the location in my town is not manned and you need to have the local contact meet you there IIRC.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »
after listening to that great podcast with Tammy on it, I called my local LDS cannery.  I live in FL and I called and talked to the one nearest to my house, and I was told that they are for members ONLY.  The man there told me that to his knowledge they are all like that.  I have no idea if that's true or not, but he didn't know of any that were for the general public.  I also know of one near Farmington, New Mexico (from having someone there say so) that it is for members only too.

So I suggest if anyone wants to visit their local LDS cannery, you might want to call first in case it is for members only.

Take care all.

First just want to say hi to you Periwinkle - welcome to the forum!  And to add to your post that the Aurora Colorado LDS storehouse does allow non-members.  Been there a few times - they've been nice to me and very helpful.  It seems a little strange that some allow non-members and others don't - may be due to the size of their warehouse because this is considered their welfare program. Don't know if there are any others near where you live but you might try another storehouse just to see.  Blessings - TBM

Offline rod

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=

This link is buried in the previous one posted and it lists more products. I have used some of these products to start my food preps and I hope it will help others here.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:36:06 PM by rod »

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 06:58:15 AM »
First just want to say hi to you Periwinkle - welcome to the forum!  And to add to your post that the Aurora Colorado LDS storehouse does allow non-members.  Been there a few times - they've been nice to me and very helpful.  It seems a little strange that some allow non-members and others don't - may be due to the size of their warehouse because this is considered their welfare program. Don't know if there are any others near where you live but you might try another storehouse just to see.  Blessings - TBM

I remember reading somewhere it has something to do with local laws and whether the cannery is a "retail" outlet or a church building/service.  The local laws that like to heavily tax retail places make it into "member only."  I could be wrong; I cannot remember where I read that, and it may be wrong, but it makes sense.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »

Take care all.

It may be that they only allow non-church members into the 'cannery' section accompanied by a church member. Perhaps if you asked again about bulk sales... without the option to access cannery equipment? I know that was a concern the first time I called the DFW warehouse. Once I told them I only wanted to purchase bulk items, they were less concerned.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 07:34:26 AM »
More and more of them are now opening to non-members. The one in Mass is (Worcester)

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 08:58:22 PM »
You might ask if they would allow non-members in for a small donation. Sometimes the cannery is supported by donations from a local church, and that's why they don't normally allow non-members in. I'm hoping the one in Colorado Springs lets non-members in, because driving to Aurora would be over 4 hours for me (springs being already 3hrs) ugh.

Offline Periwinkle

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
Wow, thank you all for the ideas and the information.  The one closest to me told me that they only give to members that the bishop sends to them.  Apparently you have to have a list from the bishop and I guess approval as well.

So thank you ~ I will call the other places to see how they operate.

And thank you as well for welcoming me.  I'm real new to this stuff (and to the forums here), but I'm trying to learn quickly.  There's alot of good info on the forums here that's for sure.  I just ordered some books on canning and dehydrating, and as soon as I get some learnin' in my brain, I plan to get some equipment and see how much damage I can do.  ;D

Offline rod

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
More and more of them are now opening to non-members. The one in Mass is (Worcester)

I talked to someone at the Worcester Cannery about a year ago and they told me you had to be a church member then. If anyone is told different please let us know.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »
Wow, thank you all for the ideas and the information.  The one closest to me told me that they only give to members that the bishop sends to them.  Apparently you have to have a list from the bishop and I guess approval as well.

So thank you ~ I will call the other places to see how they operate.

And thank you as well for welcoming me.  I'm real new to this stuff (and to the forums here), but I'm trying to learn quickly.  There's alot of good info on the forums here that's for sure.  I just ordered some books on canning and dehydrating, and as soon as I get some learnin' in my brain, I plan to get some equipment and see how much damage I can do.  ;D

I'm guessing you somehow must have gotten in touch with what they call the "bishop's storehouse". That is only for needy church members with a letter from the bishop allowing them to 'shop' for free from the storehouse.

Ask about the bulk grains for sale... it is a different operation than the bishop's storehouse, I think. When I was at the warehouse here (DFW) the first time, we walked through the bishop's storehouse on our way to the bulk warehouse. I was very impressed with the setup.

Offline SaTX

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »
We are not LDS members. Last week, we called the LDS Center in San Antonio. At first, the woman stated it was only for members. Then she said "Oh, you want the Food Storage Center!  Please hold" When I connected with the Food Storage Center, they made me an appointment for later that day, and we went over and worked a few hours, loaded up on great stuff at great prices, and learned how to dry pack can. It was great!

They explained that there is a large warehouse called the "Bishop's Warehouse". When a LDS member is upon hard times (lost job, etc), they apply to the bishop and may be given a lot of free food. THAT is only for members.

In San Antonio, non-members are welcome to make appt and purchase food at the Food Storage Center. You must pack it yourself. They work in assembly line fashion and you need 5 persons to do it. There were only me and DH, so she added us to a group that was already scheduled. We had a great afternoon, met some other great folks, ages 25 to 73 (most were LDS members but a few, like us, were not.) When we left, they said "Tell all your friends!" I promised to do so.

Realy nice, friendly folks! We bought $280 worth of #10 can foods. I figured out, the same exact order would have been over $700 at Emergency Essentials (where we usually order).

We will DEFINITLEY go back (soon as I figure out where to put more!)!

Please, when calling your local LDS, be sure they know you're looking for the *Food Storage Center* and not the Bishop's Warehouse!

The order form, with prices and products available is at:
http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/122384_Jan2010WE_HomeStoragePriceSheet_US_71140_000_pdf.pdf

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
We are not LDS members. Last week, we called the LDS Center in San Antonio. At first, the woman stated it was only for members. Then she said "Oh, you want the Food Storage Center!  Please hold" When I connected with the Food Storage Center, they made me an appointment for later that day, and we went over and worked a few hours, loaded up on great stuff at great prices, and learned how to dry pack can. It was great!

They explained that there is a large warehouse called the "Bishop's Warehouse". When a LDS member is upon hard times (lost job, etc), they apply to the bishop and may be given a lot of free food. THAT is only for members.

In San Antonio, non-members are welcome to make appt and purchase food at the Food Storage Center. You must pack it yourself. They work in assembly line fashion and you need 5 persons to do it. There were only me and DH, so she added us to a group that was already scheduled. We had a great afternoon, met some other great folks, ages 25 to 73 (most were LDS members but a few, like us, were not.) When we left, they said "Tell all your friends!" I promised to do so.

Realy nice, friendly folks! We bought $280 worth of #10 can foods. I figured out, the same exact order would have been over $700 at Emergency Essentials (where we usually order).

We will DEFINITLEY go back (soon as I figure out where to put more!)!

Please, when calling your local LDS, be sure they know you're looking for the *Food Storage Center* and not the Bishop's Warehouse!

The order form, with prices and products available is at:
http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/122384_Jan2010WE_HomeStoragePriceSheet_US_71140_000_pdf.pdf

BINGO! You nailed it. I was just going to post the same general info.
M

homeshow

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 12:36:28 PM »
going to try to make it to the knoxville location this weekend.  i called and left a message for an appointment.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 05:30:29 PM »
The Jacksonville Fl LDS Cannery does take nonmembers if you call and make an appointment. We just visited the location yesterday and had an incredible experience. The volunteers were incredible and we were able to purchase a great supply for our long term storage. You can download the order form on line and fill it out before you go. I highly recommend this we will be making monthly trips to increase our food storage. Make sure you ask for the Cannery and not the store house when you call.

Offline Kanatz

• Prepper
  • It is what it is.....
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 02:22:52 PM »
The Jacksonville Fl LDS Cannery does take nonmembers if you call and make an appointment. We just visited the location yesterday and had an incredible experience. The volunteers were incredible and we were able to purchase a great supply for our long term storage. You can download the order form on line and fill it out before you go. I highly recommend this we will be making monthly trips to increase our food storage. Make sure you ask for the Cannery and not the store house when you call.

Kellib,

Could you provide the location and # of the LDS in Jville?

Thanks!

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
The Jacksonville Florida LDS Cannery is located at 5100 Firestone Rd. 32210. It is behind the Church and in back of the building with the bishop storehouse in the front. Try these numbers and keep asking for the Cannery or the Home Storage Center 904-772-8835 or 904-772-8897 I think the hours are T W and TH from 8-3 but you will need to call and make an appointment. You can get an order form at www.providentliving.org.

I also purchased the LDS preparedness Manual (which you can get on line) and an incredible cook book while visiting the cannery. The cookbook is full of information about cooking with food storage and tips. We are preparing for the worst so we better prepare to be without the internet.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
Did anyone ever make it over to the Jacksonville cannery? Just wanted to know how your experience went.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
Made appointment number 2 at the Jacksonville LDS. Can't wait to add to our food storage. And they are letting us bring a friend.

Offline Shelnrik

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
Hello,

I live on the east coast of Florida but would be willing to drive to Jacksonville to get provisions for my family. I have just started and am slightly overwhelmed. I am a hard worker and do not mind one bit working for the ability to get food for my family and elderly neighbors.

Thanks,

Shel

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
Look at my previous posts to get the contact info. The people at LDS are very helpfull.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
Re: LDS site with MUCH info
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 06:40:17 PM »
If anyone lives in Ga. the LDC cannery in Tucker Ga. which is located just east of Atlanta Ga. sells to non members. I have been there once so far and the people there were very nice and helpful. Planning another trip in a couple of months.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 07:37:56 AM »
Our DFW Meet and Greet group is going to the cannery on June 9th to learn to use the cannery together... it might be a good idea for other regions, too.

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
Re: LDS site with MUCH info
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 10:09:50 AM »
If anyone lives in Ga. the LDC cannery in Tucker Ga. which is located just east of Atlanta Ga. sells to non members. I have been there once so far and the people there were very nice and helpful. Planning another trip in a couple of months.

Awesome, that's great to know, thanks for the heads up! I've been wondering, once I get back walking again, I'll make an appointment and head that way.

Offline joemommapoo

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=

This link is buried in the previous one posted and it lists more products. I have used some of these products to start my food preps and I hope it will help others here.

And anyone can order?  How much is shipping?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 02:02:23 PM »
Anyone can order... shipping was reasonable, as I recall.