Author Topic: Storing rice & Asian markets.  (Read 9560 times)

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
Storing rice & Asian markets.
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:32:47 AM »
I just wanted to pass along a good way to save on your rice supply. Asian Markets. If you live near a city that has a larger Asian population you will find grocery stores that cater to asian clientele.

Here you find pallets of bags of white rice ranging from 25 to 100 lb bags. These bags are heavy duty sand bag type material with handles (you can reuse), with a sealed plastic liner. I have found that the prices seem to be about half of what you will pay at your local grocery store. About $15.00 per 25 lb bag. The bigger the bag, the bigger the discount. The other great thing about these bags is that they keep for 1-3 years if unopened. My wife and I go through about 25 lb's a year, and we eat ALLOT of rice. With the bag opened and stored in a plastic container, we have never seen a bag go bag. We keep two extras in the house and when the opened bag is finished, we open the next to oldest. We have never had any problems.

I hope this helps, feel free to hit me up with questions. If in the SEPA area, I have many stores you can try.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Storing rice & Asian markets.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
Rice can get wormy... if you freeze it for 4+ days, you'll be sure to kill any potential critters.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:13:59 PM »
Costco has rice for $15.00 per 50 pounds. Being married to an Asian, I go to Asian markets regularly. I haven't found rice as cheap as Costco there yet.  Of course, regions vary.   ;D

D

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:57:18 AM »
My wife is Asian too, but we don't have a Costco around us. I would rather give the local market owners my money anyway. I try to stay away from the chains as much as possible.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 05:00:53 AM »
My wife isn't Asian, but I have gotten my PA dutch girl to love rice ;)

I just experienced my first H-Mart a few weeks ago.  Incredible store. 

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 07:22:19 AM »
My wife isn't Asian, but I have gotten my PA dutch girl to love rice ;)

I just experienced my first H-Mart a few weeks ago.  Incredible store. 

While I do intend a move to the country at some point in the none to distant future - I do LOVE having HMart 20 minutes away from me here in the city!

I make it a practice to purchase one small item every time I am there - that has super mysterious labeling in another language, and for which I have NO idea what it is or if its edible. It makes mealtimes an adventure - "Honey, lets open that foil packet with pictures of daffodils and baseball players, and see if it tastes good..."

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 07:08:37 PM »
While I do intend a move to the country at some point in the none to distant future - I do LOVE having HMart 20 minutes away from me here in the city!

I make it a practice to purchase one small item every time I am there - that has super mysterious labeling in another language, and for which I have NO idea what it is or if its edible. It makes mealtimes an adventure - "Honey, lets open that foil packet with pictures of daffodils and baseball players, and see if it tastes good..."
I'm looking for a good hot sauce there... I'll just have to go back and try a few...  I"ll have to remember to check the rice prices while I'm at it.  There are an incredible number of rice cookers and other assorted hardware available too.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 07:14:52 PM »
My lady and I love hot sauces - but always come back to the normal Sriracha - it just seems all around best to our palates.

I do enjoy when cooking a stir fry, using Hot Pepper Sesame Oil - worth a try when cooking, and not even nearly as expensive (when purchased at HMart, your local grocery store will charge it as a specialty item premium) as good extra virgin olive oil.

As you might imagine, when shopping at HMart or other Asian specialty stores, there is a variety of the hot pepper sesame oils - they all have slightly differing flavors and heat, I enjoy experimenting, YMMV...

Offline mbarnatl

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
Hmart rice prices have gone up the last couple of months. Costco and BJ's has had better prices, but you don't get the variety as you do in an Asian market. As for hot sauces, just experiment to your taste. I also add chili garlic sauce to a lot of my food to give it some spice after I cook it.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
It is really overwhelming...  I know there are so many great, wonderful flavors there, but finding them is the key.  I'm working out of town for awhile and there is an HMart a few blocks away (Burlington, MA)   I will buy something good this week.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »
OK super weird I know - but my better half has introduced me to her old college breakfast of champions... I warn you it sounds super weird, but wound up addictive.

Frozen waffles
Slather on peanut butter for some protein and chewiness
Drizzle with normal maple syrup
A few dashes of Sriracha

Mock me mercilessly, try it, admit your addiction...

Offline jimbridger1881

• Prepper
    • Gadsden Post
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 11:42:23 AM »
Its not just Asian markets that have great deals. I went to a market that caters to Hispanic customers this weekend. The costs for bulk items like beans was significantly lower than my neighborhood grocery store. Even the produce was cheaper so I told my wife to check in there occasionally to see if they have any good deals as the store is only 2 minutes from her office.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
Its not just Asian markets that have great deals. I went to a market that caters to Hispanic customers this weekend. The costs for bulk items like beans was significantly lower than my neighborhood grocery store. Even the produce was cheaper so I told my wife to check in there occasionally to see if they have any good deals as the store is only 2 minutes from her office.

Gracias! :)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
My wife is Asian too, Chinese Malaysian.  We get our rice from Wal-mart.  Cheaper than the asian markets in Ann Arbor, MI (closest markets to our location).  Being an Ohio State Alumni I try to avoid Ann Arbor at all costs!  We get 25lbs of Thai Jasmine rice for $13 at Wal-Mart.  We get our fresh garlic from the Asian markets.  We also get a gallon of soy milk for 2.99 and a quart tub of tofu for 2.29!  Asian markets rock!  Tsai Grocery on Ann Arbor Saline Road for anyone near the AA area.

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 10:26:41 AM »
What's H-Mart? ???

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
My wife is Asian too, Chinese Malaysian.  We get our rice from Wal-mart.  Cheaper than the asian markets in Ann Arbor, MI (closest markets to our location).  Being an Ohio State Alumni I try to avoid Ann Arbor at all costs!  We get 25lbs of Thai Jasmine rice for $13 at Wal-Mart.  We get our fresh garlic from the Asian markets.  We also get a gallon of soy milk for 2.99 and a quart tub of tofu for 2.29!  Asian markets rock!  Tsai Grocery on Ann Arbor Saline Road for anyone near the AA area.

Thanks Nate!  I work in AA so will check this out.

D

Offline SteveInTx

• Survivalist Mentor

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 08:11:13 AM »

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
I'm in Jersey.  Funny to say, but the half dozen H-marts nearest me are all larger than the 3 Wal-marts.  When in Rome I suppose. lol. 

I urge anyone who has access to an Asian market to try the Asian Sausage.  Usually made of a combo of pork and duck.  It has a complex, slightly sweet, slightly savory flavor to it.  I love it sauteed with sliced garlic, brussel sprouts and a splash of sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.   Great side dish.  It also lasts in the fridge for a good long time...so I've convinced myself it's a prepper item. lol