Author Topic: 18 g straight needle makes a great little knife  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
18 g straight needle makes a great little knife
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:10:53 AM »
If you can get your hands on some 18 g straight needles, they make a great addition to your first aid kit. Each needle has a super sharp knife edge at the tip, and can be used as a tiny little knife for digging out splinters, cutting sutures, etc. They are very light and don't take up much space.

Gunz

Re: 18 g straight needle makes a great little knife
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
Thanks, always looking for another idea for an edged tool.

Stay healthy 

Offline PositiveForce

• Prepper
  • Never ponder on negative thoughts
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:26:37 AM »
Throw a couple safety pins in with your medical gear as well, awesome for tick removal, splinters, and securing ace bandages  :)

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
I read a wilderness medicine book that recommended safety pinning the tongue to the lower lip as a form of improvised airway control. Holy crap! I think I'll stick with an OPA or NPA!

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:12:22 AM »
I read a wilderness medicine book that recommended safety pinning the tongue to the lower lip as a form of improvised airway control. Holy crap! I think I'll stick with an OPA or NPA!

Or run it through with a fishhook and some fishing line.  Improvisation is great!

Offline kbg

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »
18 g IV needle with the catheter removed are perfect for draining blisters I prefer a 22 g but whatever you have is great.  If you slide it under the top layer of skin next to the blister and push it forward until you puncture the blister (like we all used to do with sewing needles to make claws on your fingers when you were kids) when it drains it will keep the blister from re-filling this only works if you go under the skin and don't brake into the blister from the top exposed skin area. 

I have used this many times in the military as well on my own as always just make sure you are using new, sanitary equipment and dispose of it correctly.

Offline benjaminbrasel

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 03:25:24 PM »
You could safety-pin the top and bottom lip to close the airway on unruly patients.
But I think the NPA (nasopharyngeal airway) or OPA (oropharyngeal airway) is probably a better choice for keeping the airway open. 

I keep a few 14,16, and 18g needles in my BOB for the same reasons stated earlier.  Remember to keep them sterile and discard them appropriately.