Author Topic: Teardrop Trailers  (Read 9629 times)

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
Teardrop Trailers
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:02:26 PM »
Land in the UK is very, very expensive to buy.

To give you an idea, the cheapest way to buy land is probably woodland at around £15K GBP (25K USD-ish) an acre, and you won't get planning permission to build anything other than a tool shed.

Any sort of rural land that had a home or planning permission for a home will run in to hundreds of thousands of pounds.

With this in mind, I've thought about building a teardrop trailer which I can use for weekends away and as a bug out shelter.

The idea would be that it would sit in the garage, stocked up with supplies, so that I could hitch it to the car and go at a moments notice.

Cost wise, I reckon I could go the DIY route for under £1000 ($1500usd-ish) and end up with something well made, custom to my needs and towable by any car.

What are your thoughts on this?  Pros/cons?

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
Re: Teardrop Trailers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »
Ahhh, there was a really good thread about this on another survival/prep board. I wish I could remember which one it was.

Basically there were definite pros and cons for and against a trailer. They all applied to a true SHTF scenario. The biggest issue I have heard about a trailer is your maneuverability is decreased as well as speed. Another was making yourself a obvious target. The pluses were that your BOL was mobile.

My personal opinion is that everything has pros and cons; nothing is perfect. If this is the best option for you and your situation I say go for it.

Is this something you are gong to only use as a SHTF bug out trailer or is it something you are going to use with any regularity?

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »
All I can say is that I would rather have a little trailer in the middle of the forest that I owned if things got bad, than being stuck in a city during hard times. Having something and somewhere to go is SOOOOO much better than having nothing and no where to go. Is it ideal? no, but I would take it any second, hour, or day of the year over nothing and especially if money is an issue.

my 2 cents.

Offline Gadget

• Senior Survivalist
    • Your Best Defense
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »
I looked into teardrop trailers a few years ago and found them to be very interesting. I think they would be a good inexpensive choice for 1 or 2 people. I didn't build one because I knew that my wife would not go for traveling with one, primarily because I snore something awful and it doesn't have a shower and toilet. Her idea of camping is a camper trailer or RV, mine is a poncho tied between a couple of trees to keep the dew off. There are a number of sites that have blueprints, etc. for various designs of teardops, just use Google and you'll find plenty of great sites.

Offline Packrat_Junkie

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:31:07 PM »
With this in mind, I've thought about building a teardrop trailer which I can use for weekends away and as a bug out shelter.
The Teardrop as a Bugout Trailer for Two
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/bugout.html

Forum for Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Offline CyborgX

• Survivor
  • Maps don't need batteries
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:28:06 AM »
Sounds like something that even I, in the US, ought to consider looking into.

Of course, if you're going to be keeping supplies stocked up in it, you ought to rotate them with stuff that you use regularly.

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:51:16 AM »
IDK if you have public vehicle auctions or school busses where you are located.

One alternative to prefab trailers and rv's (caravans?) is to pick up a small school bus, shuttle bus, transit bus, etc.  It wouldnt be hard to pull out some seats and throw an air mattress down in the back of one. Then you could add in things like a stove or even a bathroom.

I've mentioned this in another thread or two, and one thing I think I forgot to mention is using the top and belly of the bus for storage.  For example one could put together a roof rack and store most gear up top, leaving the interior area for living quarters. 

In the US, you are not required to have a CDL (commercial drivers liscence) to operate a converted school bus. If the windows are covered and there is a curtain between the drivers area and the rest of the bus, it also counts as a residence, requireing a warrent to search.

On a smaller scale you might consider a cargo or courier van. 

I've even known people to convert box trucks for living quarters.

One advantage to using a trailer is you can leave it on site and the tow vehicle can be used to support your camp.  If you picked something like a bus or box truck with a little power, you could have a car dolly which pulls your support vehicle behind it. 

Offline Stormchaser

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
I own a teardrop. Bought it new almost 2 yrs. ago. As I have just 'woken' up to survivalism in the last couple of months I haven't had a whole lot of time to come up with BO ideas but a few have occured to me.

Teardrops are for traveling in, not living in. The small size (essentially a rolling bedroom with a small galley on back) WILL get to you in a long term situation. Still, for bugging out it has advantages. Here is what occurs to me off the cuff:

PROS

-Prep ahead of time and ready to roll at a moments notice
-Small size is extremely gas-friendly (no gas increase if towing vehicle's roofline is higher than the TD...really!)
-Small size can fit into possible tight BO locations that a larger RV couldn't, even if you have to unhitch and push by hand
-You CAN push by hand, easily on pavement....very, very light (mine is about 700 lbs, but remember-on wheels)
-Ever soooooo much better than camping in a tent for older people. I love tent camping, but I really love my TD
-Insulated (hopefully). Mine has R7 insulation.
-Inexpensive. Home builds can cost as little as $1,000-$1500. Commercial, around 5 grand new (but expensive 'Cadillacs' available also)
-Mine has an outside platform storage that can be used for generators, extra gas containers, foot lockers, etc.
-Mine is configured for 12V operation from grid (invertor), solar, vehicle, and generator (new to survivalism but have been emergency Ham responder for some time now)
-Can be towed with small 4-cylinder vehicle
-Stay dry and cozy at night
-extremely comfortable temp wise. Even in winter a small heater might be on for only 10 minutes when you first get in.

CONS

Not too many cons, but....

-Like any vehicle or RV, may have to be abandoned on the way 'out'
-Too small for long-term living (but great for traveling)
-Draws attention (kinda kewl normally, maybe not-so-cool when bugging out. Mine has NASCAR detailing but now kind of wish I got camo)

When it comes right down to it, if you're going to BO on 4 wheels (actually, lighter TD's can be pulled by motorcycles), it's got a lot to recommend.

~~Storm
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:43:38 PM by Stormchaser »

Offline Stormchaser

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
Incidentally, my NASCAR teardrop will be at the  Dirttime 10 (June 13-18)/Wyoming  FSW event (June 19-22) for anyone still planning on being there. Additionally, I understand a fellow American might (not sure yet) be coming in from Iraq with one of these babies -

http://www.eeziawn.com/Globe%20Trotter.html

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »
There are a number of options you can go with.  I think that the trailer is one that should be considered as a get and go, or a weekender, not a full time thing.  There are a number of things that you can put in one...  But as said, to be a 'lifer' out of one would be hard on the back, and etc.

TBS (That being Said) - I've been thinking of a 'twin' option..  building the trailer and having it ready to go, including solar power, and then a drop box.  \

The drop box would be lofted in my garage,.. and ready to go.  When needed, I'd back the truck in, drop it into the bed, and go.  I don't have a trailer right now,.. so this would be a fast option.  But with both options,.. would really extend time on the road.

Offline sgtb

• Prepper
Possible Teardrop purchase. Opinions?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 08:55:53 AM »
I am looking at one of these on a local lot that has one remaining and not selling them anymore. It is brand new but a few years old. Woodland camo paint from factory and has a platform on the front with ramps to haul an ATV or dirt bike. Can haul a picnic table or alot of gear up there. It is 6 ft. wide and has a queen size folding I mattress that can be removed. The interior is finished but it does not have the cabinets like some do. All open inside.