Author Topic: your dehydrated foods - what you dried, and how you used them  (Read 180026 times)

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: your dehydrated foods - what you dried, and how you used them
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »
cool.  Thanks.  I will be checking that out very soon.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
Yes. It was the dehydrating potatoes thread:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=9858.msg158884#msg158884

Excellent Thread!

Thank you for linking it.  :)

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »
OK... I know it is somewhere on here (maybe on the dehydrating potatoes thread), but...

One of our forum members ran the experiment to get mashed potatoes. She said that you had to mash the potatoes first, then spread out on a sheet and freeze it first. Apparently, the freezing made all the difference. Then, she dehydrated and powdered. She said without the freezing step it never turned out right.

Ah, I'll try that thanks.

I did experiment with drying some pre-mashed potatoes.  They turned out better than the unmashed ones but were still a little too thick.  I think when I dried them I may have spread it on too thick.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »

Thanks LvsChant for pulling up that thread!  Great idea!  One I think I'll try too.

Ah, I'll try that thanks.

I did experiment with drying some pre-mashed potatoes.  They turned out better than the unmashed ones but were still a little too thick.  I think when I dried them I may have spread it on too thick.

A trick I learned from watching Tammy at Dehydrate2Store was to spread your food onto the dehydrator tray cover with a sheet of waxed paper and then lightly run your rolling pin over the top to even it out and thin it down.  Thought this might help with the potatoes. 

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2010, 04:03:18 AM »
I want to do dried mashed potatos and pumpkin. I have an old dehydrator though that has bigger holes in the trays. What can I put on the bottom before I run the rolling pin over the potatos?

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2010, 05:13:25 AM »
I've been using parchment paper.

Offline maxhedroom

• Survivor
  • We all seek direction
    • My Homestead Garden
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2010, 06:07:52 AM »
Anyone try dehydrating butternut or acorn squash?

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »
Anyone try dehydrating butternut or acorn squash?

just like pumpkin.  I have 2 acorn and 2 butternut mixed up together in ONE pint jar in my pantry.

Offline maxhedroom

• Survivor
  • We all seek direction
    • My Homestead Garden
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
just like pumpkin.  I have 2 acorn and 2 butternut mixed up together in ONE pint jar in my pantry.
Where is the pumpkin recipe?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
See Dehydrate2Store's video here: http://www.dehydrate2store.com/videos/?id=66 for pumpkin dehydration and use in piemaking.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
I used a roast and trimmed it and dried it. No salt. No seasonings. No marinading. No nothing.

Just meat. I tried this when I was married and had a teenage boy in the house. Um an 8 # roast would last about a day after it was dried.

I thought this was too marbled but I was very wrong.

Yes the hole is because I took some for lunch today.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:06 PM »
[where's that slobbery smilie?]

oh, that jerky looks tasty tasty tasty.  I haven't had a good homemade jerky in years.  mmm.. if only I was not moving soon and thus trying to keep my house in show readiness.  I think I would be making some of that.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2010, 07:52:31 PM »
Morning Sunshine is it still jerky when it is unseasoned? I love this so much better than jerky. I am going to try this weekend to shred some in the food processor. Then I can use it in lots of things; salad, soups, breakfast bars as a protein source.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
Shred some and put on a baked potato with some cheese and sour cream.

I think it is still jerky, I mean there are hundreds of styles and flavors of jerky, this one is just plain. How do you use your jerky besides just eating it?

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
Between me, my daughter and my grand boys none of it ever makes it to the cooking stage! ;D

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
I just tried my hand at Bef Jerky and, to be honest, it was a little bland.  :-\

I didn't have any soy sauce and figured I needed it with the Whirstchire sauce for the marinade, so I just threw in a little black pepper and a few drops of liquid smoke into a quarter cup of apple vinegar and then brushed it on the beef.

I will say that I am pleased with the texture of the jerky and will be trying beef again later on.

My next project will be with turkey and I will definitely maranate that before hand.  I'm thinking a terriaki version and maybe a italian dressing version.  Any and all thoughts appreciated.  :)

Offline Charley

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2010, 06:15:48 AM »
I thought I already posted this, but I can't find it.  Sorry if it's a duplicate. 

This recipe uses dehydrated apples that are reconstituted. It is really easy and yummy. I think it tastes better after it sits in the refrigerator for a few hours. This recipe is adapted from Everydayfoodstorage.com. You could add 3 T red hot candies in place of the cinnamon sugar if you wanted.  Personally, I don't add any sugar.   My kids think it looks funky with the craisins in it, but I love them. 

o 2 cups dehydrated apples
          o 2 cups boiling water
          o 3/4 cup craisins (optional)
          o 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
          o 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)

1. Place the dehydrated apple slices and craisins in a blender. Top the fruit with the boiling water. Add in the cinnamon and sugar. Allow to soak for about 5 minutes. Process in your blender to desired consistency.
   2. Refrigerate.

Offline Joniv

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
I used a roast and trimmed it and dried it. No salt. No seasonings. No marinading. No nothing.

Just meat. I tried this when I was married and had a teenage boy in the house. Um an 8 # roast would last about a day after it was dried.

I thought this was too marbled but I was very wrong.

I’m new to dehydrating food, so please forgive my ignorance.  So if I put raw meat on the dehydrator that the process will cook it enough to be edible? 

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2010, 09:55:50 AM »
it is not only edible, but delicious.  I have not had good homemade jerky in so long.... sigh... one day....

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
Well at some point I'll find the time to read all of this great information! 

Here's my attempt at a table...
spinach pwdr*  pasta dishes
- veggies/fruit can be sent through the mail to friends in mylar bags this way and they keep.  People in Alaska have a hard time getting fresh fruit, this is the next best thing.  What a way to say Merry Christmas, here's a salad!  (I don't imagine that dehydrated spinach would make a good salad, but it beats not having any fresh greens)

Okay, BIG PROBLEM...  I dehydrated some spinach a while back and checked the bag last week... I could tell the spinach was no longer crisply dehydrated- Instead it felt mushy and soft.  So I opened it and it was!  EEEEK!!!! 

Do I have to blanch spinach before I dehydrate it?  Did I not dehydrate it enough?  Need some help here!
~CRCJ

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
ick!  I am sorry that happened.  I have never blanched my spinach.  I just spread it over my tray and let it go.  so, couple of questions:

are you absolutely sure you got it all "crumbly-to-the-touch" dry?
did your bag have any moisture before you filled it?
was there any way for moisture to get into the bag?
do you live in a humid environment?

I do not know how, but there was moisture in that bag with the spinach.  and it spread and multiplied like a bad virus.  sorry.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »
Well it was probably September in Cincinnati when I did that... its hard to think that the humidity outside could do that though. I could be wrong.  I suppose that would mean I shouldn't bag up anything in the summer time, or at least run the dehydrator inside for a bit before I pull my green's out.

Of course there's always the fact that I could have been impatient.  Its hard to stand here today and say I did it perfectly 5 months ago.  Morn'n Sunshine: Have you tried this?  I'll have to try it again, but I don't want to waste too much of it if its not something we haven't thought of. 

-This was a good lesson to learn while I'm not depending on my stores!

~CRCJ

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2011, 06:31:16 PM »
What type of bad did you use?

On another topic, last week I made scalloped potatoes from slices I dehydrated back in September.  I mixed some cheese powder and milk with some dehydrated onions to the potatoes.

I really liked it!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
Okay, BIG PROBLEM...  I dehydrated some spinach a while back and checked the bag last week... I could tell the spinach was no longer crisply dehydrated- Instead it felt mushy and soft.  So I opened it and it was!  EEEEK!!!!  

Do I have to blanch spinach before I dehydrate it?  Did I not dehydrate it enough?  Need some help here!
~CRCJ

Sometimes food seems dry when you first take it out of the dehydrator, but isn't quite... I had this happen with some carrot dices. They were completely hard to the touch... sounded like lego pieces when dropped on the counter... I thought they were good to go. I sealed them up in a mason jar (using my handy-dandy foodsaver vacuum sealer). Came back about a month later and they were rubbery... inside the sealed jar... I had obviously not gotten them as dry as I thought the first time.

Tammy on Dehydrate2store has recommended letting them cool to room temp in a jar or ziplock bag and watching to see if any condensation forms in the first day or two. You should be able to tell fairly quickly if they were completely dry. If, in that time, you spot condensation, just throw them back into the dehydrator and give them another round of drying...

(sorry to hear about your spinach... aren't you glad we are learning this stuff now, when it isn't crucial?)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:13:11 PM by LvsChant »

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »

(sorry to hear about your spinach... aren't you glad we are learning this stuff now, when it isn't crucial?)

Absolutely LvsChant!

I always leave my stuff in the dehydrator for several hours to make sure it's good and cooled and then test for dryness.  If not I can easily restart the batch.  Colorado doesn't  a lot of humidity so I don't struggle with that but make sure after your stuff is good and dry to store in sealed containers as ziplocs won't cut it - your stuff will absorb moisture in those over time. Food saver bags or glass jars (air sucked out or 02 absorbers) are the best.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:30:25 AM by TwoBluesMama »

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »
Sorry to hear about your spinach. You're right...fortunately it wasn't a crucial time period.

We dehydrated (actually my DW dehydrated) a couple of head of cabbage recently...her first run in the Excalibur... ;D

Like the advice below, we let them sit in their jars for a few days and monitored them for signs of condensation.
After making sure there wasn't any, we added o2 absorbers and put them in the pantry.

We generally let the dehydrator run a good bit longer than the listed time.
Like Tammy says...You don't have to worry about "over-dehydrating" your foods.  :)

Let us know how your next run does. I bet it'll be fine.

Tammy on Dehydrate2store has recommended letting them cool to room temp in a jar or ziplock bag and watching to see if any condensation forms in the first day or two. You should be able to tell fairly quickly if they were completely dry. If, in that time, you spot condensation, just throw them back into the dehydrator and give them another round of drying...

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »
PS. No need to blanch spinach before dehydrating...

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »
Did we ever hear what kind of bag the spinach was in?  If it was a ziplock, they are not very air tight.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2011, 10:14:22 AM »
Sorry it took so long- I had the spinach in a 5 mil (I believe) mylar bag... I'm fairly certain you guys were right about it not being all the way dehydrated.  I can't think of any other reason for such a problem.  Once again, my friends on the forum rock ;)

~CRCJ

(PS- do any of you know where the thread is on dehydrating red or black beans?  I tried it and they all cracked and I know there is a thread out there that talked about it.  I searched for it and couldn't find it...  PM me if you know what I'm talking about, I don't want to clutter up the forum)

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »

(PS- do any of you know where the thread is on dehydrating red or black beans?  I tried it and they all cracked and I know there is a thread out there that talked about it.  I searched for it and couldn't find it...  PM me if you know what I'm talking about, I don't want to clutter up the forum)

I think Jack discussed this on Episode 561 Building Your Own Long Term Rations.

It was also mentioned in the thread Excalibur Dehydrator Questions.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

My dehydrated cooked bean crack and crumble, but they taste fine mixed with rice or in a soup.  :)