Author Topic: your dehydrated foods - what you dried, and how you used them  (Read 159805 times)

nelson96

Re: your dehydrated foods - what you dried, and how you used them
« Reply #210 on: November 23, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »
when you did hashbrowns, how did you do them?  (I ask because different parts of the country seem to call hashbrowns different things.)  I boil my whole russet potatoes, peel them while hot, cool in the fridge, shred with a hand cheese grater, and dry.  I did about 100 pounds last year.
I put about 2 cups of dry shredded pots in a 6-c bowl, pour on some water, about 4 cups, maybe, not hot, not cold, just whatever comes out of my faucet right then.  I let it sit about 20-30 minutes.  When ready to cook, I melt 2 T bacon grease and 2 T butter and add salt (I like salt, so I add lots of it) and fry the potatoes until tasty brown.  works every time.  And I need to do about 200 pounds this year!! :o  (we ran out about May)

This is something I am very interested in.  I've bought them before (they come in a waxed carton).  They are so convenient to cook with, especially camping.  Just rehydrate with hot tap water like you explained, drain off the excess water, and fry.

I don't see the point in dehydrating cubed or sliced potatoes because they are so easy to prepare fresh, but making fresh hashbrowns (grated potatoes) has always been an issue for me.  They never seem to come out nice and dry after you cook them.  Mine always are fried crispy on each side and mushy in the middle.  I want to make them like you get in a restaurant.  I'm figuring dehydrated could be the answer.

Could you do me the favor of detailing exactly how you do it and explaining how they look when your done (pic's would be great). 

Some of the questions I have:
Did they stay nice and white?  How thin do you spread them out on the tray?  Do any of them stick together when they're done?  How long does it take?  Is there a temperature I need to try and maintain?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:31:27 PM by nelson96 »

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »
Dried morel mushrooms-crumble them up and cook into soup. MMmmmmmmm :)

Offline enl126rtg

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2012, 11:03:22 AM »
Hello, I am new here and have been trying my hand at dehydrating foods. I have looked thru but have not seen anything on dehydrating eggs! Can anyone help me out on that one? I have plenty and would like to be able to dry them, powder them and vacuum seal them! Any one have experience in that one?

Thanks so much!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
enl126rtg:

Check out this thread on dehydrating eggs: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=6046.msg163055#msg163055

Here's another: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg223084#msg223084

Dehydrating eggs isn't something I've done, but I have read about others' results in the above threads...

Good luck.

LC

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »
Recently steamed and diced shrimp, then dehydrated. Put into freezer and took up way less space. Used in gumbo. 

Also most of our medicinal herbs.

Put dehydrator outside in garage and dehydrated fish heads and parts after harvesting fillets. Then ground up in blender from goodwill. (wife said I can't use good kitchen stuff for experimenting). Fed it to fish and chickens.

Stevia, was nice to make up stevia sweetener in winter when all fresh plants have died due to winter.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
If anyone is interested in seeing the photos, I did a tutorial on my blog for dehydrating the pumpkin:

DIY: How to Dehydrate Pumpkin

I showed what my "powder" came out looking like and I took a picture of some rehydrated.

Right this very minute I'm experimenting with dehydrating store bought canned peaches.  I've been posting pictures and having some interesting conversation with folks about it over on Facebook. 

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
Dehydrated sweetpotatoes left over from Thanksgiving  we never used. Making sweetpotato chips

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2012, 07:28:36 PM »
If anyone is interested in seeing the photos, I did a tutorial on my blog for dehydrating the pumpkin:

DIY: How to Dehydrate Pumpkin

I showed what my "powder" came out looking like and I took a picture of some rehydrated.

Right this very minute I'm experimenting with dehydrating store bought canned peaches.  I've been posting pictures and having some interesting conversation with folks about it over on Facebook.

Awesome!  Thanks for sharing this Jenn.

~TG

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2013, 05:16:30 PM »
I just dried some purple savoy cabbage.  I will probably just use it in my veggie powder, but it is such a pretty color.  It is mixed purple and green, it looks kind of like a lavender plant.

dried produce is so pretty.  Call me a girl, but I like pretty.  I choose functional over pretty, but when functional is also pretty, I get happy.  One of my favorite is to mix dried red, orange and yellow sweet peppers in a glass jar.  it looks like flames.  pretty.

Offline Shadowrider

• Survivor
« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »
One of my favorite is to mix dried red, orange and yellow sweet peppers in a glass jar.  it looks like flames.  pretty.

We like to mix red and green jalapeno slices when we pickle them in a jar. My husband will even layers them. Perfect beauty for Christmas gifts! This isn't dehydrated, but it is pretty.  ;)

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
Dehydrated some celery and tossed it into some chicken soup I made. It didn't rehydrate at all. Still very hard and chewy. No idea why, as it was in the simmering liquid for over an hour.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #221 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »
Dehydrated some celery and tossed it into some chicken soup I made. It didn't rehydrate at all. Still very hard and chewy. No idea why, as it was in the simmering liquid for over an hour.

celery usually works very time when I put it in for a soup, but i usually do a crock pot thing for 5 hours or longer.
maybe you just need to let it rehydrate longer. Let us know if you find a source to confirm why.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=17544.msg209861#msg209861

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2013, 06:09:10 AM »
I have found it takes almost 1/2 the time to rehydrate. So if it originally took 8 hrs to dehydrate I usually let it set for 4 hrs.

So if making say veggie soup let set in the tomato juice or broth in the morning, then all you do is heat up when get home. All the veggies will soak up not only water but flavoring as well.

I do this with beans as well. I usually soak dry beans over night and crock pot next day. So I will add garlic, salt, pepper, and seasonings to the soaking water. Makes the beans have more flavor.

Offline Downeastwaves

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for sharing this Jenn.

~TG

TG, How long should that pumpkin last? I'm mean if you do not eat it first <G> I have 2 pumpkins in the freezer that I made into pulp by baking and pealing and then cooking down a bit. Hubby keeps asking me what they are, they are always in the way of the ice cream <G> Just wondering if I was to dehydrate them how long would they be good for? DEW

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »
TG, How long should that pumpkin last? I'm mean if you do not eat it first <G> I have 2 pumpkins in the freezer that I made into pulp by baking and pealing and then cooking down a bit. Hubby keeps asking me what they are, they are always in the way of the ice cream <G> Just wondering if I was to dehydrate them how long would they be good for? DEW

How long the pumpkin should last would depend in part on how you packaged it.  Typical sources say that dehydrated foods last a year (that would probably be in a jar in your cupboard, maybe with a desiccant thrown in), however if you keep it free of air, light and moisture--say toss a desiccant in, an 02 absorber and then seal it in Mylar I'd be pretty confident in it for at least, oh, 3 or 4 years. USA Emergency Supply has info on how long dehydrated foods store.  I believe they are referring to commercially prepared, but they state that correctly sealed & stored veggies can last 8-10 years and fruit 5 yrs. 

Offline Downeastwaves

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »
How long the pumpkin should last would depend in part on how you packaged it.  Typical sources say that dehydrated foods last a year (that would probably be in a jar in your cupboard, maybe with a desiccant thrown in), however if you keep it free of air, light and moisture--say toss a desiccant in, an 02 absorber and then seal it in Mylar I'd be pretty confident in it for at least, oh, 3 or 4 years. USA Emergency Supply has info on how long dehydrated foods store.  I believe they are referring to commercially prepared, but they state that correctly sealed & stored veggies can last 8-10 years and fruit 5 yrs.

TG, Thanks! I appreciate the answer and the link.
DEW

Offline Panhead Bill

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #226 on: March 03, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »
I'm new to dehydrating - the wife got me a dehydrator for Valentines day, but have t had a chance to use it yet. I've got a bunch of lemons ripe on the trees on our new property, so I figured I'd dehydrate a bunch before they go bad on me. I haven't been able to find any instructions for lemons though (only peels). Is there any reason I couldn't dehydrate lemons?  How would I prep them - slices, wedges?  Do I leave the peel on?

Also, the thought came to mind - though I've never heard of it or seen it anywhere - bacon jerky!  Anybody ever try making bacon jerky?  I would think you'd do it the same way you'd do any other jerky. Hmmm

Thanks,

Bill

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #227 on: March 04, 2013, 07:26:16 AM »
Here is a video on making dehydrated lemons and lemonade.  This web site has a lot of great info on dehydrating.

http://www.dehydrate2store.com/videos/?id=29

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »
I'm new to dehydrating - the wife got me a dehydrator for Valentines day, but have t had a chance to use it yet. I've got a bunch of lemons ripe on the trees on our new property, so I figured I'd dehydrate a bunch before they go bad on me. I haven't been able to find any instructions for lemons though (only peels). Is there any reason I couldn't dehydrate lemons?  How would I prep them - slices, wedges?  Do I leave the peel on?

Also, the thought came to mind - though I've never heard of it or seen it anywhere - bacon jerky!  Anybody ever try making bacon jerky?  I would think you'd do it the same way you'd do any other jerky. Hmmm

first, I would be very wary of attempting bacon jerky from raw bacon.  Pork really does need to be cooked thoroughly.

second, about those lemons.  by all means, dehydrate some.  have you been to www.dehydrate2store.com yet - she does lemons.  but I would, instead, recommend another method of lemon preservation.  Moroccan lemons.  I posted a tutorial here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=22990.msg252815#msg252815
check it out, do a quart jar of them this year, just to try it, and then be prepared to do twice that next year.

if you have extra lemons after all that, try making your own lemon pepper.  that is the best lemon pepper I have ever had.

I love lemons, and wish I lived in a place where a lemon tree can grow outside.  I have a potted one, but it still has not produced any lemons :(

Offline Panhead Bill

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2013, 02:06:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice and links - looks like I'll get rolling tomorrow with some lemons and some bananas that are starting to get a little over-ripe (on a break from painting! 

Antihero thought - and you can tell me how far off base I am -

Had the kids make spaghetti for dinner - used jarred Ragu with 2 lbs of browned ground beef mixed in. I know I've read that the ground beef doesn't dehydrate we'll. is there any way to dehydrate and save the leftovers from this meal?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #230 on: March 05, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice and links - looks like I'll get rolling tomorrow with some lemons and some bananas that are starting to get a little over-ripe (on a break from painting! 

Antihero thought - and you can tell me how far off base I am -

Had the kids make spaghetti for dinner - used jarred Ragu with 2 lbs of browned ground beef mixed in. I know I've read that the ground beef doesn't dehydrate we'll. is there any way to dehydrate and save the leftovers from this meal?

Thanks,

Bill

haha... you really love dehydrating! I would say dehydrating your meat sauce might not be a good idea... I have seen articles on dehydrating cooked hamburger meat (hamburger rocks), but I tried it and the results were less than stellar. I've moved more toward dehydrating veges and fruits and canning of meat products... ymmv.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2013, 10:54:27 PM »
I love lemons, and wish I lived in a place where a lemon tree can grow outside.  I have a potted one, but it still has not produced any lemons :(

I feel your pain. I have a potted lemon tree too (in Wisconsin). Still trying to squeeze a single lemon out of that tree.

Offline theadob

• Survivor
« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »
i dehydrate hamburger all the time and it comes out fine for soups and stews.  I also dehydrate ragu sauce so I see no reason why dehydrating your spaghetti wouldnt dehydrate. Its important that you clean your cooked beef though to get the fat off of it or it will go rancid fast.

Offline LizardGurl

• Survivor
  • Low Carb Paleo Permaculturist Locavore
« Reply #233 on: May 07, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »
Yesterday I did an experiment with Kale.  Recently flavored Kale Chips have become very popular as a snack food.  We had a bag in the office so I scoped out the ingredients.  Basically the coating was made from nuts, vinegar and spices. 

I harvested a large bowl of kale.  Then I mixed some almond butter, apple cider vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of this Taco seasoning I mix from time to time to have on hand.  The mixture wasn't quite thin enough, but tasted as vinegary as I wanted, so I mixed in a bit of water.  I tossed the kale in the mixture until it was evenly coated and then dehydrated it.  It came out great.  The store bought Kale chips are currently my 15 month old grandson's favorite snack.  I need to do a grandma drop by and give him some of mine.

LG

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #234 on: May 09, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »
Yesterday I did an experiment with Kale.  Recently flavored Kale Chips have become very popular as a snack food.  We had a bag in the office so I scoped out the ingredients.  Basically the coating was made from nuts, vinegar and spices. 

I harvested a large bowl of kale.  Then I mixed some almond butter, apple cider vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of this Taco seasoning I mix from time to time to have on hand.  The mixture wasn't quite thin enough, but tasted as vinegary as I wanted, so I mixed in a bit of water.  I tossed the kale in the mixture until it was evenly coated and then dehydrated it.  It came out great.  The store bought Kale chips are currently my 15 month old grandson's favorite snack.  I need to do a grandma drop by and give him some of mine.

LG

That sounds delicious! I need to plant some kale this summer and try this! Thanks LG.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #235 on: May 11, 2013, 08:05:22 AM »
Thanks for the reminder LizardGurl about the kale chips and the "recipe" idea.  You can also bake kale leaves in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes if you want a quick snack or don't have a dehydrator.  I reminded my DH yesterday that we wanted to plant a bunch so to leave space for it.  I dehydrate a lot of it and keep a jar of crushed leaves by the stove and toss some into stews, soups and sauces to give us a little extra nutrition.  I also drink a mixture of dried veggies (with a lot of kale in it) every morning in a glass of orange juice. 

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »
thought i would give an update of my veggie powder, it has changed a lot since the last time I posted it.  So, the last batch I had I used the following amounts.  Every time I make a new batch, I open my word folder and follow the recipe that I last made.  If I have to change something - I ran out of dried bok choy, I now have dehydrated eggplant - I note that.  And then I type the new date and what I put in this time.  I do this in case it suddenly tastes really nasty cuz I put in something new that I shouldn't do again.

Vegetable seasoning powder
All ingredients in grams.  Use blender to break up big things and then move to coffee grinder.  Use in sour cream for veggie dip; on steak for seasoning, in soups, stroganoff, omelets, and other tasties.  I use/substitute whatever dried veggies I have at hand.  Sometimes I have something and sometimes I don't.  I try not to add a lot of anything really strong flavored, and would love to add some hot peppers to it (but my family would stop eating it!)

3-20-14: made a 2-c batch, packed
96 tomatoes
36 celery
24 mushrooms
20 carrot
12 green sweet peppers
15 red onion
6 rosemary
6 garlic
6 oregano
6 spinach
4 savoy cabbage (purple)
6 yellow squash
6 beet
6 zucchini
6 kale
6 collard
6 chard
6 spring greens
6 eggplant
6 winter squash
6 mystery unlabeled leafy green
6 parsley
4 jalapeƱo
4 black pepper

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2014, 01:40:38 PM »
Thanks, MS... sounds yummy... Can I just come over to your house and try it out?

I found a great deal on Mangos about a week ago... they were hard as flint when I bought them, but after sitting on my kitchen counter for a little over a week, they were fragrant and perfect.

I sliced around the pit, peeled the two sides and the pit part, then sliced in strips about 1/8"-1/4" thick... then dried overnight at 110 degrees. They are completely yummy. No need to add lemon juice... they are fine without adding anything.

Dried mangoes... a very good thing.

d3nni5

« Reply #238 on: June 24, 2014, 06:06:15 PM »

I picked a bunch of basil.   Clipped, rinsed and towel dried.

Added to my dehydrator on the lowest setting (95) and started drying.   All eight trays are full.  Once dry, I'll put the leaves in a plastic bag, crush and put in a sealed jar with my spices.  Curious just how much this will be dried.  I doubt it will be more than a typical .5 to 1 oz jar you get in the store.

nelson96

« Reply #239 on: June 24, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
I doubt it will be more than a typical .5 to 1 oz jar you get in the store.

But much better quality and much less expensive.