Author Topic: Vacuum Sealing Jars - Long term food storage  (Read 8023 times)

Offline Longsnowsm

• Prepper
    • Be Prepared Channel
Vacuum Sealing Jars - Long term food storage
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:41:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Today I posted my first tutorial on how to vacuum seal jars for long term storage on my blog.  It is basic and I tried to keep it by the numbers.  If you guys wouldn't mind taking a look and tell me what I am missing or what I can do to improve it before I start sharing it with family and friends.  I would appreciate a fresh perspective.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks.

www.bepreparedchannel.com

Longsnowsm

idahobob

Re: Vacuum Sealing Jars - Long term food storage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Today I posted my first tutorial on how to vacuum seal jars for long term storage on my blog.  It is basic and I tried to keep it by the numbers.  If you guys wouldn't mind taking a look and tell me what I am missing or what I can do to improve it before I start sharing it with family and friends.  I would appreciate a fresh perspective.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks.

www.bepreparedchannel.com

Longsnowsm

Good 'un!!

We have found that the food saver is probably the most versatile tool in our storage arsenal.

All of the dry goods in our one year rotation is vacuum sealed. Makes much better use of shelf space, and is rodent proof.

Again, very good tutorial.

Bob
III

mtforge

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
Good pictures and well written

Offline Longsnowsm

• Prepper
    • Be Prepared Channel
Re: Vacuum Sealing Jars - Long term food storage - tutorial
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have been having a hard time translating what I am talking about with friends and family so I thought a tutorial might help.  I am working on a video to show how this is done also.  I am hoping to have that up some time next week on YouTube.  I will post the update when I get that up so I can get some input on that.  Thanks again.  I hope this has been helpful.

Longsnowsm

Offline Longsnowsm

• Prepper
    • Be Prepared Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:21 PM »
Just so this doesn't get lost for folks looking for this tutorial I am posting the direct link below.  Otherwise you will not find the article that we are referencing here.  Thanks.

http://bepreparedchannel.blogspot.com/2010/02/food-storage-vacuum-sealing-in-canning.html

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »
I think you did an awesome job! Thanks for posting this information.

Offline rckound

• Prepper
  • Duke & Daisy ready to bug out!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »
Lot of good info there. Nice job. I've been vacuum sealing for awhile now but have yet to try vacuum sealing jars yet. Just might have to give it a try. Most of the stuff I've been sealing is dehydrated items which seem a little  easier to store. But then again, there are some items that might be better off in jars?

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »
Excellent.
Concise, to the point and well presented.
And you made sure that you pointed out that there are 2 different sizes of jar sealing attachments... +3

Offline leakfinder

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »
I had one question.  When I can my preserves and some of my garden produce, I always sterilize the jars and the lids.  I noticed that you mentioned washing the jars, but did not mention the lids.  Wasn't sure if you left it off the tutorial or did not feel the need to sterilize?

Great tutorial.  I am planning on adding a food saver and an Excalibur to my kitchen this year.

-lf

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »
With dehydrated foods, I don't believe sterilization is as crucial as for water bath canning. That being said, I typically clean the jars in the dishwasher with the sanitize option.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
Lot of good info there. Nice job. I've been vacuum sealing for awhile now but have yet to try vacuum sealing jars yet. Just might have to give it a try. Most of the stuff I've been sealing is dehydrated items which seem a little  easier to store. But then again, there are some items that might be better off in jars?

I saw somewhere that a lady opened her chocolate chip bags and sealed them in jars.  supposedly they kept better; I just keep all my bags in a bucket with a seal.

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
Actually, I vacuum seal jars of leftovers that I keep in the fridge. It helps them stay fresher longer. If I make a pot of soup, I'll put it in jars, vacuum seal the jar and it stays fresher than just in the jar without the vacuuming.

Keep in mind that I know this food has to stay refrigerated. I do *NOT* vacuum-seal wet foods for non-refrigerated storage.

Offline uspsa4553

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »
Being a noob I am trying to figure a few (well a lot really) things out.  It is mentioned that if you use an O2 absorber now is the time to put it in - Giving the impression that it is optional.  Will food sealed without the O2 absorber last 30 years?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
I'm guessing it would be highly unlikely to store well long-term without an O2 absorber...

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
I misplaced a jar that was vacuum sealed and had brown sugar in it and found it 4 years later,
it was still good and soft and was fine. I misplaced chocolate chips with the sugar(separate jar) and they were good as well. No O2 absorber.

30 years, I don't know about that but 4 worked for me.

Offline uspsa4553

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 11:19:33 AM »
Thanks for your help.  I will initially begin planning for shorter storage periods and work my way up.

Offline Longsnowsm

• Prepper
    • Be Prepared Channel
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 09:07:37 PM »
Being a noob I am trying to figure a few (well a lot really) things out.  It is mentioned that if you use an O2 absorber now is the time to put it in - Giving the impression that it is optional.  Will food sealed without the O2 absorber last 30 years?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry it has been a while since I visited this post.  I don't think I would try to store these items for 30 years in the jars to be honest.  As we are suppose to be rotating our food store I would think it is reasonable to rotate through the jars ever 3-5 years.  The jars transmit light so unless you happen to have a location where you can keep things temperature controlled with no light I wouldn't adventure a guess about trying to go for extended storage periods. 

On the O2 absorbers.  So far I have had luck doing it both ways with an O2 and without.  The seal is good and strong, and if there is going to be something that disrupts that seal it won't matter if there was an O2 absorber in there.   So when I say long term storage I guess that is relative.  I personally have things in super pails or buckets, and #10 cans that I would classify as something in that 30 year storage category.  The advantages of the jars is that they are easy to get into, reseal, and reuse.

Longsnowsm

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
nice work