Author Topic: Goat or sheep meat?  (Read 9810 times)

Offline Adam

• Prepper
Goat or sheep meat?
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:52:30 PM »
Hey all,

I live in Hawaii on the Big Island and am in the process of getting a hunting license.  We don't have any deer or elk here.  The only game mammals are feral/wild/hybrid goats, sheep, and pigs.  The great thing is that in most areas they can be hunted year round and have very liberal bag limits such as 1 goat, 1 sheep, and 2 hogs per day.  This is basically due to the fact that most are considered to be a detriment to the environment and they are not native species.  What I'm wondering is how is goat or sheep meat?  I've been told goat is pretty similar to deer.  I've had lamb a couple of times but farm raised lamb is sure to be quite different from wild sheep.  The goats are descendants of different domestic species, and the sheep are the same with some Mouflon and feral/Mouflon hybrids. 

Any experience or thoughts on these game meats compared to beef or venison?  Thanks.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
Re: Goat or sheep meat?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 02:48:58 PM »
Hey all,

I live in Hawaii on the Big Island and am in the process of getting a hunting license.  We don't have any deer or elk here.  The only game mammals are feral/wild/hybrid goats, sheep, and pigs.  The great thing is that in most areas they can be hunted year round and have very liberal bag limits such as 1 goat, 1 sheep, and 2 hogs per day.  This is basically due to the fact that most are considered to be a detriment to the environment and they are not native species.  What I'm wondering is how is goat or sheep meat?  I've been told goat is pretty similar to deer.  I've had lamb a couple of times but farm raised lamb is sure to be quite different from wild sheep.  The goats are descendants of different domestic species, and the sheep are the same with some Mouflon and feral/Mouflon hybrids. 

Any experience or thoughts on these game meats compared to beef or venison?  Thanks.
Hi Adam.

Please base my opinions on the fact that I am THE classic omnivore....  I like most everything.

Sheep = Lamb Chops & Leg of lamb.... Lots of recipes available  ..... I love it.

Goats are in the same class as sheep generally, a little gamier than beef, but also excellent..... There should be thousands of recipes available for goat too.  I also am a fan of goat meat.

Also, consider that animals will taste like what they have been eating....  On Hawaii, all of the game animals are eating well... But what are they eating?  Grass, Brush????

I lived on Maui for about a year back in 1985, flying Helicopter Tours. 

There are a few Axis Deer on Maui, but the majority I saw were on Molokai.....  They are probably hunted by permit.

Anyway when you get tired of goat & sheep, deer hunting is also available to you.

Have fun (Lucky Dog!!)

Steve

Offline YOOJ

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:34:04 PM »
Goat is delicious.  Wild hog is also particularly tasty.  The ones I've shot were huge boars, and were a bit tough and definitely not the white meat hormel pork you get at the grocery store, but made wonderful bacon, pepperoni and sausage, as well as some pretty good loin chops.  If you were to shoot a sow or a boar in the 100lb range or smaller it would probably taste a lot more like commercial piggy.

Goat though, mmm.  Goat curry or some grilled goat meat tacos.... mmmmmm. 

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:58:33 AM »
Totally different animal and diet, but I've had Rocky Mountain bighorn and it was great.

Offline EFWesq

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »
I am very lucky to have a friend born and raised in Jamaica who loves to cook goat...I don't think I have had it prepared other than in Jamaican style dishes, but they were fantastic.

You've got me thinking that I have to try goat now in different styles. 

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
Curry Goat is one of the national dishes of Jamaica and is often served with rice and some vegies.  It is quite good!

Like this:

INGREDIENTS:

3 lb. goat meat
3-4 tablespoon curry paste/powder
2 onion,
1 tbsp thyme
2 cloves garlic
whole Scotch Bonnet pepper or pepper sauce to taste
black pepper and salt
carrots cut in slices or other root vegitables
Shop Now for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning in our online store.

METHOD:

Wash & season with curry, thyme, garlic, black peppers & salt, onions
Let sit overnight in refrigerator
Pour a little oil in pot and heat
Saute vegies partially and reserve
Place meat in pot and let brown a little
Add 1 cup water or broth and seasonings
Add reserved vegies
Cook until tender
Add whole scotch bonnet or pepper sauce for flavor and simmer for a few minutes
Make gravy by adding about one tablespoon corn starch or flour
Serve with white rice

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
"... can't ride home on a bowl of goat.  I've always said that." ~ Ron White

Goatdog62

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »
Goat meat will kill you. Don't eat it.  ;D

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
It really depends on what they are eating, but all should be plenty good.  I would probably rank them hog, sheep then goat if I had to choose.

homeshow

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
make sure you fully cook your goatdog too many parasites.

Offline schilcott

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 06:46:24 AM »
never actually cooked goat or shhep myself but I've had both and they were good. I was told to remove as much fat as you possibly can because the fat tastes bad. But thismight be a matter of preference

Mona Folds

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »
I lived in Norway for 3 years and the farmers there let their sheep roam the mountains, so I know what "wild" tastes like.  I love the flavor of any lamb or sheep meat (mutton?) - including farm raised, even the fat tastes great.  We raised goats and they were "grass-fed" - they had access to 30-40 varities of plants, herbs and grass.  We did not like the goat meat.  It just had a strong, wierd flavor.  It was a whether (bucks can really make it taste bad - apparently this only applies to goats, not deer or any other animal, except farm raised hogs).  But, the good news is, you can get used to it.  It's not as bad now as when we first tried it.  Also, if you boil it, it helps weaken the "wild" taste.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
I have had farm raised goats and they are fantastic. Soak your meat in Coke brand cola overnight. Helps out a lot with the "off" fat taste and tenderizes better than anything I have tried.

Mona Folds

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »
I'll have to try that.  I got some goat meat thawing right now.  I wonder if sugared water with some vinegar would work too?