Author Topic: Would You (or did you) start homesteading alone?  (Read 17246 times)

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Would You (or did you) start homesteading alone?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 07:09:06 AM »
Hope that by this time you have the answers you need.  I thought I'd give my ideas any way.  I am married for 31 years now.  So maybe I can't be totally objective.  I wonder why you asked this question in the first place if you are so sure that you want to do this.   Maybe I am wrong but i sense a little doubt?  If that is the case GET RID OF IT!!!  No place for second guessing your dream.  If that is truly what you want go for it.  Just don't make a totally emotional decision.  Make your list of what you want to do and how you want to live numbering them in the order of importance.  Then find land that can match that. 

Paying it off fast fantastic idea.  However if you have to carry some debit better to do it right out the gate.  Don't cut yourself short.  Make  sure you have a savings account it's so important.   My personal views on that may be a little different than others but I don't care because it works for me.  Just say currently you have credit card debit of about $4000 and 10k in savings. Now you could pay that off if you wanted but it is only at 6% (if it was 20% or higher different story) The way I look at it is how many monthly payments could be made with that $4000 about 40 months or 6 months of house payment and visa possibly. You could make larger payments and pay it off faster and of course I am saying that there isn't tons of other debits. So I feel safer with the $4000 in reserve.  If something did happen I have more cash to fall back on.  If I were to pay it off and drain my savings and something happened well there are no options you go right back in debit and most likely for more that the original amount.  I am just saying look at the whole picture.  Cash is king so maybe if you had to barrow a tad more for your place or take just a tad longer to pay it off don't be afraid to do that. You must give it your full evaluation based on your situation and what works for you.

You just might need to buy a newer tractor to do some of that heavy manual labor.  I don't like to wrench on things and there is nothing worse than going out to do a job and the stupid equipment isn't working.  As you get older you will need that type of thing or be stuck waiting for someone else to help out.

Sorry to say you will get older and it is possible that you may not be able to handle things like you use to. Or work as hard or fast.  So in the planning stage make sure you consider that.  A very hard lesson I have learned is take your time and do it right the first time.  And do it so you won't have to do it again. ( I have to move my garden I put it over the drainfield in part craaaaap.)   This time around because I have the room pathways are 3' wide to so over the years I can build up the beds to 2 1/2 -3'  if one of us is in a wheel chair I want the option to be able to still garden.  Or if I can't bend over easily.  For me this makes sense because I already @ 50 have some issues.

In short build savings buy the land buy a tractor get at least a few dogs and GO FOR IT  FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS.  You only have one life to live so live it the way you want to and to hell with any body that says you can't.  NO FEAR!!!

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »
Asked hubby his thoughts and his reply was "that's kinda a dumb question you can do what ever the  f@$^#& want to do. You don't need a man for that.  I wouldn't ask if I could homestead if I were single"  Blunt but he makes a good point. 

annestacey

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 08:45:30 AM »
I have been prepping alone and would do homesteading alone if I had to.  But really, I would love to share homesteading with one or more other people.  I'm one of those ladies who does not need a man in her life except to do the heavy lifting.  But I have recently modified my lifestyle to not bring anything into my home that I can't lift or maneuver myself.  I have less furniture now but that gives me more room to store my preps and the dog has room to play so it's working out just fine.  It's empowering to know that I can move and relocate myself without assistance if necessary.  The only thing I need now is a decent sized tow trailer and a bigger SUV to tow it with. 

But getting back on topic, I would be open to relocating in order to share homesteading with someone else.  The only thing that really stands in the way is my career.  I'm a software developer and currently I work from home on a long-term contract position but once this gig is up, I'll have to find something else and the companies that use the software that I specialize in are few and far between (which is why I tend to relocate fairly often and that is not conducive to homesteading).  If I could get a permanent work from home position or change careers altogether... it would allow me to settle down in one place. 

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 08:37:11 PM »
I have made great strides in prepping by myself and could easily homestead by myself again.  Sure, because I am single, there would need to be work-arounds for the big heavy things and the "two person" tasks.   I have homesteaded in the past, but am in the process of looking for new digs elsewhere, away from major populations.

Networking with others has been a blessing, opening doors to resources that would not have been available otherwise.  As times become harder, networking and community will become more important.

I would hate to homestead by myself without the support of others, through networking and/or community.

~TG

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »
Well I have personally found that the harder the struggle the quicker you learn to be proficient at the task at hand..I do have a DH but I can honestly say for a long while I have done things on my own while tending two young children and now that he has started to really get it instead of thinking I'm a bit of a loon and the irony is things got done a little quicker and such when it was all up to me..so if I can do it while raising young children and one old one(: you certainly can..I also agree with a k9 companion and have a pack of Great Pyrenees..and bless that DH of mine I love em to death he's almost caught up to the kids homesteading skills(:

Offline BusyBee

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »
Wow!  This thread was very motivating.  I've been asking myself the same question for many years and now that I am divorced, I guess I can find out.  I had some land but it was too small and too close to my former in-laws so I am going to start again.  I'm debating between heading to upstate NY where I have some friends and could potentially borrow a husband and staying in Texas where the weather is a bit easier.  I think it is easier to cool off than it is to get warm but that's my personal preference. :-)

For true homesteaders, where do you work?  How much income do you really need to make it by yourself?

Thanks!
Sharon

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
Yes, I will be homesteading on my own. Not by choice just how life turned out. Am I scared? Absolutely. But, forums like this one and knowing there are like minded people out there are helping me overcome that fear.

I plan to get involved in the community too so that I know the local network. Realistically few of us can truly make it alone. Find the good neighbors and being a good neighbor is part of the plan.

Edited to add: I rent out a good portion of the land to a local farmer. That cash rent income helps me pay for the utilities, upkeep fencing/ponds, and pay the taxes on the homestead. So, when the move is completed I plan for the rent to provide for most of my financial needs (along with savings/investments).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:41:03 PM by Bonnieblue2A »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »
For true homesteaders, where do you work?  How much income do you really need to make it by yourself?

When I lived on my 40 acres in the bush in Canada, I worked from home and only really had to go into the office once a week. How much income you really need is only answered by you. How much does it take for you to live a month, including insurance, taxes, etc. Like in Canada, my electric was $35CA or less a month, here in the states it is double that. Up north I had a woodstove, down here I am forced to use gas heat for the moment.

Cedar