Author Topic: Survival Prescriptions...  (Read 10407 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Survival Prescriptions...
« on: December 12, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »
As I opened my medicine cabinet door this morning for my daily does of "Dr. Feelgood" pills, I wondered for a moment, just where I was going to find these prescription medications after the SHTF.  I take a BP med, Nexium, a baby aspirin, 2400mg of Omega 3 fish oil, Advair Inhaler and a pain med. Options are:

Stock up:  Expensive, limited shelf life, and then eventually "out".

Alternatives:  Limited.  Some herbal equivalent for the baby aspirin.  It'd take a lot of fish for 2400mg daily. 

Life style change:  Best choice!  Stop smoking (2+ packs a day), more exercise, better diet, "selective" diet to eliminate the items that now bother me.

OK, that's what I'm gonna do.

What do you have in your medicine cabinet to replace for when the SHTF?

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Survival Prescriptions...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »
Let's see..
-Prescription allergy pill - hold breath around long haired cats and do not breathe during spring
-Tylenol/aspirin - chew on the bark of willow trees?

But for my family I'l be in serious troubles. I try to make a small stockpile but it's hard.

Very good point Tim! +1 to you.

KyFarmer

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 07:50:36 PM »
As I opened my medicine cabinet door this morning for my daily does of "Dr. Feelgood" pills, I wondered for a moment, just where I was going to find these prescription medications after the SHTF.  I take a BP med, Nexium, a baby aspirin, 2400mg of Omega 3 fish oil, Advair Inhaler and a pain med. Options are:

Stock up:  Expensive, limited shelf life, and then eventually "out".

Alternatives:  Limited.  Some herbal equivalent for the baby aspirin.  It'd take a lot of fish for 2400mg daily. 

Life style change:  Best choice!  Stop smoking (2+ packs a day), more exercise, better diet, "selective" diet to eliminate the items that now bother me.

OK, that's what I'm gonna do.

What do you have in your medicine cabinet to replace for when the SHTF?

Tim.

This one I can actually help with!

For ANY med for which there is a generic equivalent (pm me and I can help you with that), you can get most generics at Kroger, Walgreens, Wal-Mart etc for $4.00 per month and in some cases you can get 90 day supplies for $10.  In MOST cases - because you're paying cash - there won't be any quantity limits imposed by your insurance company.  If you're good friend with your doc - tell him sort of kind of what you're up to and have him write you multiple prescriptions (most guys I know would do that without too much concern).  Your BP med and your Nexium will both have a generic equivalent.  You can also get a Canadian/European pharmacy to ship you HUGE quantities, but that would involve a little more cost.  The meds you get from overseas will be fine, and provided they are common place drugs - you won't have any safety issues.  The profit margins in generics isn't enough to screw with the compound.

Baby ASP is $5.00 a truck load if you order it online.

Fish Oil you can buy in bulk, but it's costly.

Advair - if you want "advair" you're screwed on cost.  You can split up the drugs and get formoterol and budesonide in generics and save some cash.  They will still be expensive, but not as much as the brand will be.  The problem with Advair is that it's an inhaler and you can't really buy it in bulk.  Give your doc a sob story or just flat out ask and see if they will give you a case of samples.  If you can scratch his back, he should be able to get you HUGE quantities of samples of that drug.

The pain med depends on what it is - pm me and I'll see what I can tell you.  I don't want you to have to put that out on the board.

Just some thoughts.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 06:09:53 AM »
Stock up on your meds that are needed to keep you alive. I have built a large stock pile over the years and now have about six months worth of meds. I have a form of muscular dystrophy and need certain meds to be able to move out of my chair. I've worked on my stash for many years now slowly rotating and setting aside a pill now and then to build up my stash. If your on meds and your life depends on them (like my case) you can talk to your doctor and have him write your RX's for an extra pill a day and start setting them aside. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:29:36 AM by Roknrandy »

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 08:01:36 AM »
Stockpiling IS an option (and I have to an extent), but the trouble with stockpiles is eventually, your out.  Then your up that famous creek without a paddle.  I appreciate the responses that have been given, but my real question was what do YOU have in your medicine cabinet to worry about and what can we do to decrease our need for some prescription medicines.  

Now is the time to start thinking about getting off the couch and seeking a better, healthier lifestyle while you can still jog through a city park without those damn Zombies running behind you for a free meal.  Now is the time to stop smoking.  All the stockpiled ammo in the world won't save your ass if you don't have the breath to drag it to the gun.  30 days without food - DEAD.  3/7 days without water - DEAD.  10 minutes without O2 - DEAD, so as you can see, breathing is far more important than the other two.  Stop smoking now and learn to breath again.  My Advair inhaler is a direct result of my smoking.  If I stop smoking, exercise my lungs, learn to breath again, I can toss the inhaler in the can (I hope).  BAM, one less item I am dependant upon for my survival, my very existence, my life and my ability to protect my family and loved ones.

Walk-Walk-Walk!  Around the house, around the park, around the block.  "Survival" is more than guns, ammo and MRE's.  I'm 51 years old and I weigh 250 pounds.  250 pounds!  Yeah, looks like I need to take my own advice doesn't it?  I'm 6'0", so it isn't that much of a frontal bulge, but it's about 75 pounds worth of fat my heart has to pump blood through day in and day out that it wouldn't have to IF I got my ass off the couch and walked.  How can I envision myself running across the field at the BOL to protect my family if I can't even walk around the park without wheezing and huffing.  How do I think I'll ever make it to the BOL if the BOV goes tits up and I have to hoof it the rest of the way.  Seriously!  Who's kidding who here?  Are you kidding yourself?  Think about it.

"Can I help you?  Yes, I'll have the Triple Whopper Mega Combo please"  How many times have I said that?  Too damn many the bulge around my midsection tells me.  Are you a "Triple" kind of person?  "Double"?  "Thick Burger's" = thick people.  Plain and simple.  And thick people have a hard, hard life.  My Nexium habit is a direct result of my dietary choices (and my smoking habit as well because the smoke gets into my saliva and my saliva goes to the tummy).  So, looks like I need to clean my own house and make better dietary choices.  Do you?  I'm not a dietitian, but I ain't stupid either, I can learn, I can research a better diet for me with concerns towards my own individual needs, and so can you.

"Excercise is so boring, and it hurts".  Not as much as death.  I have always wanted one of those self contained weight stations so all I had to do is walk up, place a pin into the weight stack I select and pump away.  How do you like that, I'm even lazy when I think about what type of exercise equipment I need.  Well, guess what, you don't need weight, you don't need a $1000.00 BowFlex or a TotalGym machine.  I got 250 pounds of built-in weight right here right now.  Won't cost me a penny to have one of the most elaborate weight machine on the face of the earth at my disposal.   And I can start using it right now too.  Park at the end of the row, take the stairs, walk the 8 blocks to WalMart, join a gym, swim, hike, climb, row, DO SOMETHING!  For every pound of muscle you create or convert from existing fat your body will burn 50 calories a day more per pound of added muscle.  Think of it as a "Fat Snowball" and get to it.  Exercise increases joint mobility, releases endorphins that are your body's natural pain fighters.  So, if I get my butt off the couch and exercise more, maybe I can eliminate my dependence on my Feldene pain meds (NSAID nonsteroidal anti-inflamitory drug like Celebrex, Mobic, etc.).  Exercise in any shape, form or fashion will also help my heart, so just maybe I can eliminate the 81mg Baby Aspirin, the BP medicine AND my Feldene just by getting off my butt and turning myself into a real survivor instead of the dead guy with all those damn guns the neighbors will talk about.

Now before y'all head to Alabama with the lynch mob, I'm not trying to be a smartass, just trying to convey a "survivalist" is a total package deal, mind, body soul.  And I also know that we have members here that have various conditions and diseases, so no, I'm not dissin' them either.  Do whatever you can do to improve yourself individually.  

So, it's that time.  Time to take a real hard look at YOURSELF and see if you want to be a real survivor and are willing to invest in yourself the way you have invested in the rest of the preps or do we get to divide your guns and ammo amongst ourselves before the SHTF?  Your call.

Tim.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:14:02 AM by timsuggs »

Offline MamaGator

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »
Tim -

I agree with you.  Lifestyle modifications are an often neglected part of preps.  You can have the ultimate BOB, but if you can't carry it, what's the use?

However, sometimes lifestyle modifications are not possible or irrelevant.  For instance, a type 1 diabetic can be in great shape, but without insulin will die.   
I care for an elderly family member.  She's almost 90 and has heart disease and osteoporosis.  She takes 11 medications a day.  She gets breathless if she has to walk more than 25 feet. 

I have a choice - make my plans to include her issues or write her off.  I can't write her off, so I plan to shelter in place and stockpile the meds she needs.  I can't stockpile for an indefinite period, but where there is life, there is hope. 

So I do what I can.  I know what herbs can be used to treat blood pressure, chest pain and arrhythmia.  Herbs are a renewable form of medication and they are included in my garden plan and I keep tinctures and dried herbs on hand.   I'm not sure what else is possible at this time, but I'll keep looking for new ways. 

Just my POV.  YMMV

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 08:49:08 AM »
Exactly BCE!  I realize not all of us are able to do the 100m run in under 5 minutes, and I also do realize that some people are going to be very dependant on their medications.  And for those stockpiling and alternatives are indeed viable solutions.  But how many of us CAN, make the choice TODAY to start leading a leaner, meaner, healthier survival lifestyle?  We do a lot of talking about this ammo vs. that ammo, or beans vs. MRE's, but like you said (and I couldn't agree with you more) what good is your BOB if you don't have the strength to carry it?

I was just trying to kick a few couches.  Thanks!

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26:06 AM »
+1 to both Tim and BCE. Very good points. You need to take care of yourself to be able to use your preparations.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 10:18:44 PM »
I have to take Synthroid.  Does anyone know if the SHTF tomorrow what I might could use instead? 
I have a high bloodpressure pill to take as well as metformin for pre diabetes.  They write the metformin for 3 months supply for me.  The Synthroid is the one I fret over.

KyFarmer

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:38:09 AM »
I have to take Synthroid.  Does anyone know if the SHTF tomorrow what I might could use instead? 
I have a high bloodpressure pill to take as well as metformin for pre diabetes.  They write the metformin for 3 months supply for me.  The Synthroid is the one I fret over.

Same as the above post from me (with correct deference to Tim) - if you can't help/fix the problem with lifestyle changes - go to Walmart.com and search for the $4 generics program.  Synthroid was on there for $10 for 90 days, so it Metformin.

Trade your friendly neighborhood doc some jerky or biltong for an extra script or two - spread them out and fill them at different stores, you've got a year supply in no time.

millerized1

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 07:12:54 AM »
http://www.allivet.com/Fish-Antibiotics-s/162.htm
Just about any antibiotic you'd want, if you need antibiotics.  Same manufacturing line as human stuff, but without all the lawyer fees, doctor fees, malpractice suits, kickbacks....
Buy it, toss it in the freezer, use as recommended.

(this is not a "go self medicate" recommendation, this is a "you know what your doctor told you to use, go here to get it cheaper" idea)

and the first person to try to roast me for "practicing medicine without a license" 4Q, doc!

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »
My wife and I are very lucky to not take any meds (except occasional Motrin 800). 

I'm very worried about my brother who is severe diabetic and GC allergies.  Mrs Tash actually got me thinking bout this (thanks Mrs Tash!) so I broached the subject with him.  He can keep a 90 day stash of insulin, but is worried bout longer term supplies. 

Any ideas would be much appreciated.  Hopefully he will get on the forum soon and get involved. 

V/r Berserker Prime

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »
I think you can order many meds from 1800petmoeds.com.  They would have insulin for cats and even anxiety meds to.  Something to checkout.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 07:16:25 AM »
I think you can order many meds from 1800petmoeds.com.  They would have insulin for cats and even anxiety meds to.  Something to checkout.
Once of my cats used to me on an anti-depressant for a urinary infection. She was soo upset with kids in the house she had problems going pee. I always wondered how well her pills would work for a human...

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 07:19:09 AM »
They sell Clomipramine here and I know it's used on humans to.  I read on snopes that in rare cases it causes orgasm in people when they yawn.  Swear to God. Too tired to look it up

Offline Shadowrider

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 08:13:45 AM »
Go timsuggs! You can do it.

As to medications and healthy lifestyle, I can tell you from experience that taking control of your health is the best survival prep you can do. My husband had a stroke Jan 1, 2000 (the docs weren't amused when he told them he wasn't Y2K compliant  ;)). Life changed in an instant. The docs put him on a bunch of meds that were rapidly draining the life from him. He had low BP, but they prescribed high BP meds for instance. (That part is a long, scary story about the mainstream medical system. Suffice it to say that I made it a goal to avoid emergency rooms if at all possible.)

We finally found a great doc who works to feed the heart, not medicate it. Jack takes warfarin for irregular heartbeat and can't stop that one, so I keep plenty of it on hand. Other than a couple of others on hand for when he feels he needs them (diuretic for instance) he has no other prescriptions.

He changed his diet and added vitamins and herbs recommended by the doc. He is 70 and splits all our firewood by hand for our sole heat source, the wood stove. We have acreage and lots of gardens. So, better diet (not perfect but better) and good exercise and he is still here almost 9 years later. It is a lot of work, but such a blessing.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 09:27:42 AM »
I have built a large stock pile over the years and now have about six months worth...slowly rotating and setting aside...

Very cool.  Your solution seems best.  Slowly build up a stockpile and rotate it.

As a free-born American adult who owns his own body, I think you should be able to buy however much of whatever the hell medicine you want at the pharmacy without a doctor's prescription, but that's another thread.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »
looks like I need to clean my own house and make better dietary choices.

Congratulations Tim for looking this thing in the face and being rational.

I have difficulty with this.  Doing bad things to your body is completely irrational.  Yet, if it tastes good or makes you feel (temporarily) good right now, it's hard to say no.  Consequences years in the future be damned.

I HATE exercising.  I hate lifting weights, jogging, treadmills, calisthenics, etc.  I found that playing a sport allows me to exercise without suffering mind-numbing dullness and waste of perfectly good human energy.   I like wrestling and racketball. 

I encourage you to find any physical activity you can use to make your heart pound for 20 minutes.  Things like:  Reconing your area on a mountain bike.  Playing tennis with your wife.  Volleyball at church.  Seeing how much firewood you can split in 20 minutes.  Anything you enjoy!

Congratulations to you for the courage to look it in the face.

tash

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
Once of my cats used to me on an anti-depressant for a urinary infection. She was soo upset with kids in the house she had problems going pee. I always wondered how well her pills would work for a human...

don't they, 100petmeds, actually call your vet and confirm the prescription? If it's anything like 1800contacts then they would in fact call the doctor.

You may be able to go to a 'feed and seed' store and find some decent pet meds. I know I've seen them before. I've also seen them online. I think my mom had a good reference for fish meds. BCE?

Rock2Fox

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 10:14:28 AM »
Quasi-related to the topic stream here, but I get our family physician to write annual prescriptions for Tami-Flu, Epi-Pens and Cipro (enough for two full courses for every person, for each medication) - we throw them in the FAK and forget about them.  I hope we never need them.

tash

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
Rock2Fox - and what did you say to your doc? did you level with them as to why you wanted all the stuff? if so, did that help? Also, what's the shelf life of those meds? thanks.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 02:00:09 PM »

don't they, 100petmeds, actually call your vet and confirm the prescription? If it's anything like 1800contacts then they would in fact call the doctor.

You may be able to go to a 'feed and seed' store and find some decent pet meds. I know I've seen them before. I've also seen them online. I think my mom had a good reference for fish meds. BCE?

That is something I didn't know.  Either way, I know I could get prednisone,  My boy takes it for his grass allergies.

Offline MamaGator

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »
First a disclaimer.  I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV.  Also, I would never do anything illegal. 

However - I have heard of people doing the following:

Take advantage of the 90-day/$10 generic maintenance drug programs at many pharmacies < cholesterol, blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, etc. >
Example #1:  Your doctor prescribed a 30 day supply of Lisinopril with 12 refills in January.   You fill the script using your insurance at Kroger   In March, call and ask the nurse for new written prescriptions in 90-day quantities instead of the 30-day quantity.  Tell him/her you want to take advantage of the $10 / 90 days program at Walmart, Walgreens, Publix - anywhere except Kroger - the chain you have used in the past.  Get written prescription and take it to Walmart.   Fill your 90-day without using your insurance.  Continue to fill your original one-month refills at Kroger. 

Example #2:  Same thing, except during your next doctor visit, you ask the doctor to write the script for double the dose, because you want to split the pills to save money.  Some doctors will, some won't.  Find out first what pills can be split - many blood pressure meds and statins can be split.  If in doubt, ask a pharmacist. 

Example #3:  Same as #1, except you go to different doctors.  Especially if you see a specialist.  Get one script from him/her, one from the internist.

Example #4:  Same as above, except go to one or more medical clinics. 

Warning - do not try this with painkillers or other drugs with a high street value.  Someone might think you are distributing and that would be very, very bad :(

Brand Drugs
For brand name drugs, some people will skip or split a dose every week, every other week, etc.  Continue to fill your meds as soon as possible.

Refills with insurance
Most insurance companies will allow you refill 30-day prescriptions 5 or more days before the 30-day period is up.  Refill as early as you can. 

More to come... 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:50:13 PM by BCE »

Rock2Fox

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »
I kept it real w/ the doctor.  I just told her I have a first aid kit at home and like to prepared for any eventuality that might affect my family - most doctors are creatures of logic and can respect a guy wanting to be prepared.  The first (and only) time I talked about it w/ the doctor, she said it was a good idea.  Prevenative med makes their lives easier in the event of one of those events.

Offline MamaGator

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 08:59:31 AM »
I kept it real w/ the doctor.  I just told her I have a first aid kit at home and like to prepared for any eventuality that might affect my family - most doctors are creatures of logic and can respect a guy wanting to be prepared.  The first (and only) time I talked about it w/ the doctor, she said it was a good idea.  Prevenative med makes their lives easier in the event of one of those events.

Like you, I've got a good relationship with my doctor.  From what I'm told by friends, coworkers and posters in another forum I frequent, that is increasingly rare.  I've recommended my doctor to several female friends because they complain that their doctors don't listen to them or patronize them.  One friend's doctor put her on Cymbalta because her 'nerves' were causing her to think she had stomach problems.  It took over six months and unneeded weight loss of 25 pounds before her doctor referred her to a specialist who diagnosed and fixed her gall bladder problems.  And he still kept her on Cymbalta.  When she chose to stop taking it cold turkey, she had horrible withdrawal symptoms.  Her doctor's advice - keep taking Cymbalta!  I doubt this doctor would respect a female wanting to be prepared.  Probably would write her up in the chart as hysterical and paranoid. 

Just sayin...