Author Topic: Classic survivalist or post apocalyptic books  (Read 83900 times)

Offline tombo5671

• Prepper
Re: Classic survivalist or post apocalyptic books
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:03 AM »
I have an e-book question.  I have a good start of hard copy survival books, about 50, too many to bug out with, on a broad range of topics.  I also recently purchased an iPad and downloaded the Kindle application.  I am looking to expand my survival library; however, I am torn between buying hard copies of the books (tangible things) and downloading the e-books.  The e-books could all fit in my bug-out-bag in fragile Kindle form.  I am weighing the power requirements and vulnerability of the iPad verses having to pick only one or two books to take with me.  I guess everything is prone to failure in extreme enough conditions – like if I had to swim a river with my books in my pants.  Then again with enough money and space I could seal my iPad in a pelican case.   I don’t have a BOL yet where I could cache books.  This may be an un-problem.  I am in the hurricane belt and my most likely Scenario is that I return home to find my survival library a pile of mush – I think I just answered my own question.

Anyway - what information are you planning to bug out with and in what form are you carrying it?

How will you protect your library if you have to leave it behind?

Jack, could this be a show question, I would love you input?

Forgive me if this has been covered before - I am new.

Tom form Florida.

Offline sprintermike

• Prepper
Book recommendations (FICTION)
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2010, 09:12:19 PM »
I'm sure this has been a topic before, but I'm looking for fiction books to keep me motivated/thinking...
I've read Patriots (great), One Second After (very good), On the Beach (ho-hum), and am going to order Alas Babylon (not on Kindle).
What other fiction recommendations are out there?

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
Re: Book recommendations (FICTION)
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »
The only fiction recommendation I would make in the apocalyptic/survival vein would be  Canticle for Leibowitz.

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »
Lucifer's Hammer

Lights Out
Deep Winter
Shatter
Remnant

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »
Lucifer's Hammer
Wolf and Iron
Last of the Breed

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2010, 10:23:48 PM »
Walk-About
The Road

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2010, 04:03:03 PM »
Lucifers Hammer.

endurance

« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »
World Made By Hand & the second in a planned four part novel series by Kunstler, The Witch of Hebron.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:48 AM »
Merged

Offline sprintermike

• Prepper
« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2010, 10:36:06 AM »
Any info on lucifers hammer, i got the free kindle preview and it is SLOW. Is there a pickup to the action?

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »
Any info on lucifers hammer, i got the free kindle preview and it is SLOW. Is there a pickup to the action?

Don't quit, it picks up. I almost stopped reading it as well, but then it gets really good.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »
The only fiction recommendation I would make in the apocalyptic/survival vein would be  Canticle for Leibowitz.

Just ordered it...

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2010, 09:50:04 PM »
Just got done reading "Rohan Nation, Reinventing America after the 2020 collapse" by Dr. Drew Miller.

The book is just under 500 pages with plenty of action. I really enjoyed it. Dr Miller covers a lot of ground and while the book is fiction, there is quite a bit of history covered including insight into what some see coming from a collapse from a political standpoint. This guy is very well versed on the military end of things as well.

While not a horse person myself, the author uses them as the title and focus of this book and on how they are used in a post collapse scenario.
http://www.amazon.com/Rohan-Nation-Reinventing-America-Collapse/dp/0984370900/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290746951&sr=8-1

Also just finished reading

"Patriots"
"One Second after"
3/4 of the way through "On the Beach"

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2010, 07:58:07 AM »
my 9-yo son loves the "kid on his own in the wilderness" books.  I have been reading them with him, and am pleased to see the survival skills talked about in them, and for young readers.  I think for kids, there is something empowering about living by yourself and surviving..  Some have been mentioned here:

Hatchet (and sequels)
My side of the Mountain (and sequels)
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Julie of the Wolves
Dogsong

and a surprising new one (except that it is OLD): Swiss Family Robinson.  Not talking the movie here, but the original book.  they are there for 9 years, and much of the narrative is details of how the father uses items he has either scavenged from the ship or found on the island to improve their lives.  He goes into great detail about how they used vines and how he joined them and created useful items.  I would highly recommend it for the survival library.

Offline m6996j23

• Prepper
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2011, 05:36:48 AM »
the story on stories on line "sol" called "bird song" is a good one i havent seen suggested it is good and free you can find it alphabetically or by catagory search. also "up from the depths" is a story in progess i am reading there.  here is a link to it.  use this link, as i find it hard to get to other wise.  http://storiesonline.net/story/61934:i

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:25 PM »
I have an e-book question.  I have a good start of hard copy survival books, about 50, too many to bug out with, on a broad range of topics.  I also recently purchased an iPad and downloaded the Kindle application.  I am looking to expand my survival library; however, I am torn between buying hard copies of the books (tangible things) and downloading the e-books.  The e-books could all fit in my bug-out-bag in fragile Kindle form.  I am weighing the power requirements and vulnerability of the iPad verses having to pick only one or two books to take with me.  I guess everything is prone to failure in extreme enough conditions – like if I had to swim a river with my books in my pants.  Then again with enough money and space I could seal my iPad in a pelican case.   I don’t have a BOL yet where I could cache books.  This may be an un-problem.  I am in the hurricane belt and my most likely Scenario is that I return home to find my survival library a pile of mush – I think I just answered my own question.

Anyway - what information are you planning to bug out with and in what form are you carrying it?

How will you protect your library if you have to leave it behind?

Jack, could this be a show question, I would love you input?

Forgive me if this has been covered before - I am new.

Tom form Florida.

I have Kindle, Nook, Adobe and a generic e-book reader on my phone. I also have an extensive hand copy library. I'm starting to move to a combination of hard copy and e-book libraries. Like you said, the Kindle is to convient to ignore. I will always have a hard copy library, but I'll be building up a huge e-book library also.

As far as what to get for Kindle, I would try to get copies of anything that would be useful for a long term bug out. If you read something hard copy and feel that you can't be without it, get the e-book also. I plan to use a thumb drive to store the e-books and apps so I can use them on multiple devices. You probably want to look into a solar charger for your kindle if you plan to use it for bug outs. You might also want to look at what is available for free to start with.

As far as how to protect the hard copy library, I've stored books in boxes in a dry area for decades with no apparent ill effects. For a bug out, you'd probably want to pack them in water proof containers and put them out of sight.

Pat

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Just a reminder... many of these books are listed in "The Repository" here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2946.0

Offline Pathman

• Survivor
« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »
Is Lucifer's Hammer a Young Adult book?  Seems when I do a search at my library for "Survival Fiction" most of the books that come up are marked YA which is young adult in my library.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »
No... I would not call Lucifer's Hammer a young adult book. I enjoyed it a great deal and would recommend it.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
Not a classic, but a decent read with survival as the mainline.  AND he's a personal friend of mine too.  Check out To Aid and Protect here... http://www.rkylehannah.com/

Tim.
And NO, I don't get any kickback.  Might buy me a cup of coffee though.

Offline Pathman

• Survivor
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
Just finished Lucifer's Hammer.  Still not sure why this was in the Teen section and is on the recommended reading list for teens at the library.  Not hard core but does have some sex and violence.  Probably not at much as they see on video games and TV anyways.  The slow beginning leading up to the comet strike would probably stop many teens from finishing it.  But I liked it.

Offline Eichenlaub

• Survivor
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
I'd have to say all the recommendations so far are great.
The few I haven't read are on my list.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »
I'm just about finished reading When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin which has been a source of great information. I'm liking a lot of the reviews posted here and on other threads http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2946.0.........

But if you had to 1 book to recommend that is a must have, useful and entertaining read what would it be?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »
Just got done reading "Rohan Nation, Reinventing America after the 2020 collapse" by Dr. Drew Miller.

The book is just under 500 pages with plenty of action. I really enjoyed it. Dr Miller covers a lot of ground and while the book is fiction, there is quite a bit of history covered including insight into what some see coming from a collapse from a political standpoint. This guy is very well versed on the military end of things as well.

While not a horse person myself, the author uses them as the title and focus of this book and on how they are used in a post collapse scenario.
http://www.amazon.com/Rohan-Nation-Reinventing-America-Collapse/dp/0984370900/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290746951&sr=8-1

I read it and dont feel I wasted my time or money.  However I found it fairly flawed.  The plot was action packed but with an extreme amount of dialogue.  There was a definite need of editing. He references a few lines of America The Beautiful as from the Star Spangled Banner.

Worth a read, definitely learned a lot about horses.  Too bad cars dont appear to be as vulnerable to EMP (especially when turn off) as he treats them in the book.  Of course his book has the EMP in 2020 and cars may be more vulnerable by then.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
Coming-of-age readers interested in survival fiction should look at Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat.  It's similar to My Side of the Mountain and Island of the Blue Dolphins.

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »
what about the patriot , surviving the coming collapse , by james wesely rawles

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
what about the patriot , surviving the coming collapse , by james wesely rawles

Just finished it.. I thought it was a pretty good read.  I managed to finish it in a week.  Like many books I've read, there were some parts I didn't like, but hey - it's part of the read.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »
I'm just about finished reading When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin which has been a source of great information. I'm liking a lot of the reviews posted here and on other threads http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2946.0.........

But if you had to 1 book to recommend that is a must have, useful and entertaining read what would it be?

concurr completely