Author Topic: The Bug Out - a short story  (Read 32551 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Re: The Bug Out - a short story
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 09:03:30 AM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Marshal16

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 10:12:06 PM »
Excellent story, thanks for posting.

Biggest mistake Joe made was becoming complacent in regaurds to his preperation. The family members did not know there place. Their lack of preperation, planing and training cost them.  ( No spare mags said it all ) Tragic. Thanks again, great story.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
I think his biggest mistake was going to a BOL that he didn't have alternative routes for.  If you plan on bugging out you have to know how to get there.

Second, in SHTF - you have to treat your tools and equipment with the utmost respect.  I would think that once he lost the first vehical he would have been more caeful with the second.  Unless my life was in immediant peil, i would have gone around.

selfsufficient

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 07:26:41 AM »
I enjoyed this story years ago when I first found it. It was especially good due to the fact that the hero didnt have a happy ending.

There were many lessons to be learned from it but I believe the most important one was:

All members of your family must be involved fully in the planning and firmly believe in it.

You can plan for other people but if they think its just a crazy hobby of yours then they can bring the entire family unit down.

excellent story

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:39 AM »
I also liked this story.  It brings up a lot of issues to think about (and reminds me a little bit of the old early 60s movie "Panic in the Year Zero") and treats them seriously enough to cause you to think "what would I do"?  I think the biggest mistakes they made were not being mentally prepared (at least as well as they could be), letting their preps lapse because of the distractions of daily life, and not practicing occasionally to bug out if they truly thought that might be a possibility.  It would have been better to just get to the farm with nothing, than not arrive there because they wouldn't let themselves leave until they had everything they thought they might need.  As is often said, the mental side of preparing is just as important as the physical/tangible side.
Whatz :)

smkymtn

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 09:41:11 AM »
Awesome story!!!

Michael Masse

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »
How about keeping the mom, daughter and son 50 yards out armed with rifle while dad works with who ever to get the vehicle free.

How about a wench mounted to the BOV so you can pull yourself out?

selfsufficient

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 11:44:49 AM »
How about keeping the mom, daughter and son 50 yards out armed with rifle while dad works with who ever to get the vehicle free.

How about a wench mounted to the BOV so you can pull yourself out?

:D I would love to mount a wench to my BOV as well, She likely couldnt wear a bikini though, otherwise she would catch a chill at speed  ;D

Offline ANARCHYisnotCHAOS

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »

jarhead1857

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 04:50:45 AM »
Sigh... that may have been a bit much for me.

Ya know.. my wife complained that I covertly hung a hatchet behind the couch on the wall.. stories like this remind me why its important to be prepared.

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »
Great story.  Really makes you think and prioritize.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 05:53:59 AM »
Thanks for all the welcomes, guys!

And a special thanks to John Willis for inviting me.  (Now, you all know who to blame.)

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is the biggest mistake Joe made?
David

My $.02

Others are right that there were cascading failures and mistakes he didn't notice or wrote off. It boils down to 3 things though:

1. Lack of preparedness - need I explain?
2. Lack of planning - on the fly Plan Bs are not plans
3. Lack of bugging out - the term means get out now! (with "now" being variably defined, but it usually does not mean hours in the face of an imminent t-nuke attack). Had he left immediately, taking only what they had, and picking up supplies away from town, none of the other problems - accident, loss of a vehicle, the creek, etc., would have been the steps to fatality.

For me, it boils down to #3 - he stayed too long once he knew the threat.

Offline Mel

• Survivor
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
Joe's biggest mistake:
He absolutely ignored his gut instinct with regard to the guys in the truck.  A lack of Situational Awareness is what ultimately killed him.  He did a decent job with most other things.  Yes, there were setbacks, but no plan survives first contact.  I'm sorry, if you see 4 guys dressed like "gang members" driving a lifted 4x4, you can bet that they have not owned that vehicle for very long.  I don't know what the gang members in Joe's area drive, but here, they do not drive 4x4s.

If you look at someone and they give you the heebeejeebies, stay away from them.  Trust your instincts.  They would have saved Joe, his wife, and his son from being killed, and his daughter from being (probably) brutally raped.

Mel

Offline bj

• Survivor
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »
Fantastic story, many thanks!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »
My $.02

Others are right that there were cascading failures and mistakes he didn't notice or wrote off. It boils down to 3 things though:

1. Lack of preparedness - need I explain?
2. Lack of planning - on the fly Plan Bs are not plans
3. Lack of bugging out - the term means get out now! (with "now" being variably defined, but it usually does not mean hours in the face of an imminent t-nuke attack). Had he left immediately, taking only what they had, and picking up supplies away from town, none of the other problems - accident, loss of a vehicle, the creek, etc., would have been the steps to fatality.

For me, it boils down to #3 - he stayed too long once he knew the threat.

Y'know. . .

I hate to admit this, but I completely overlooked this as an option.

When I read the story the first time, my original "solution" to this would have been to just grab what you could and then head out together to the store to leave from there.

I wasn't comfortable sending half the family away from home to the store with the other half running around like idiots trying to find stuff.

I understand division of labor, but I felt it put two of the family members in a precarious position.   This would have been exacerbated if the weapon (or whatever it was) went off while they were at the store.  Damage to the infrastructure and/or EMP may have taken out their sole method of communication.

Plus. . .truth be known. . .if I had solid intel that an event was absolutely imminent, I would have taken 5 minutes to gather what I could and then ran to the store and bought everything  I needed there (especially if they were accepting checks or credit cards).

That way, I could have hit the road immediately after leaving the store.

However, your point is  noted that getting out NOW is more important. 

In this story, it's quite possible that, had the family left immediately, with only the clothes on their back, they could have avoided most of the troubles that befell them.

It's better to be alive and searching for what it takes to survive than be dead with a fully-loaded vehicle.

The Professor

Offline Todd R

• Prepper
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »
Wow! Thanks for posting this story (14 months ago) . Being relatively new to prepping, I must say this is totally thought-provoking and a good motivator to be more prepared. It definitely opened my eyes to the amount of work I have to accomplish before I am "prepared"!

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
"Here's a story I wrote a while back.  It's around the net, but can be kind of hard to find.  I hope you enjoy it.  I hope more that it motivates everyone to be more prepared.  Constructive criticism is welcomed and encoraged.  Thanks."

Where else can I find it?  Somewhere I can print it off - tried and it comes out all funny....

Michael Masse

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
Where else can I find it?  Somewhere I can print it off - tried and it comes out all funny....
[/quote]

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/friends_links.html

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »
Wow!  That one got my mind racing, thinking of all the things I don't have ready.  Not to mention my personal curve balls - 21 month old & 8.5 month pregnant wife.  Leave out the gang bangers and I'd still most likely be up shit creek.  No better time to get 'r done, I guess.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »
Great read, hope to see more shorts from you in the future.

Offline fndrbndr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »
Great story for people who think they are prepared...but are in reality, complacent. I learned a ton from the mistakes depicted in the story.

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
I don't know how I've been missing this forever. Great story with some definite lessons.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 07:09:20 PM »
What's that famous saying?  "You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training", or in this case, preparedness.  Waiting until the crisis hits in order to get things squared away is a recipe for failure.

Hoping to see more from Halffast - excellent writing, especially Lights Out.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2010, 09:42:33 AM »
Great read, hope to see more shorts from you in the future.
X2

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »
Makes me want to get a large roof rack mounted BOB for the vehicle and hang it above the car on a pully system in the garage, ready to drop down and attach.  A pre-packed hard-shell with extra supplies, clothes, water/purification stuff, and non-perishable foodstuffs that go above and beyond your individual BOB and meant for at least two weeks, maybe a month, rather than 72 hours.  This could be packed with room for containers in which food or supplies that are stored inside that could easily slide into place.  I don't have a truck or SUV anymore so what we take has to fit with 3 people and a large dog in a medium sized wagon and we couldn't move much stuff without this.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
Makes me want to get a large roof rack mounted BOB for the vehicle and hang it above the car on a pully system in the garage, ready to drop down and attach.

I used to want to do the same thing back when I had a Jeep Cherokee.  I think it's a great idea and lends itself well to the "don't store everything in the same place" dictum.

Be sure to start a new thread and post pictures if you do this - I'm sure others would benefit from seeing both THAT you did it, and how you did it, too.

-N

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
*bump*

Great story, a fantastic story for those that are hobby preppers.  What is a hobby prepper?  I am for one.  I am in the Army.  I move every two years, I have a weight allowance for moving, there are many materials that the moving company will not take.  Gardening is difficult and long term projects impossible.  BOLs are friends and family's houses since I might buy a BOL then move to the opposite coast. I keep preps, I have plans, but I am limited in how much I can store.   Aside from BO plans and certain preps I focus on skill building and designing a kick *ss property and home for when I retire.

I see the dedicated prepper  as someone who builds or buys a long term location, eventually moves out of urban areas, etc.

Joe knew just enough about prepping to get himself in trouble, he prepped because he enjoyed it.  All his gear was out of date but he was active on a survival forum.  He became fixated on The List.  All this crap he needed that he read in many books.  Without all the crap he sent his wife and son to buy, they could have departed MUCH faster, from the house in one vehicle (that had fuel).  He could even have taken the whole family, under equipped in one vehicle with nothing.  He could have fueled at or next to Wally World.   Then simply bought all they needed at Wally World based on only one vehicle room and capacity.  They would have been going 80 mph down the interstate when the news hit the networks.  With only 150 miles to their destination they would have made it easy.

Lesson: All the preps in the world and skills in your head dont matter if you are stuck in the middle of the mob.  4wd, winches, gas cans, are only good if they get you out ahead of the  crush of unprepared people.

Secondly, depending on the construction of his house, sheltering in might have been a good alternative when he realized he was looking at departure way behind the power curve.  He indicated he was no where near downtown.  Three months worth of food is plenty of time to chill in the basement.  Radiation is lovely in that it is easy to understand.  You protect yourself with Time Distance and Shielding.
Distance: He lives in the burbs, this provides distance to keep you from the blast and more distance for fall out to fall out before reaching his house.  If he does get fall out, he fills in his basement windows, turns off the ventilation and uses the earth to shield him and his family.  Finally time: most fallout doesnt stay that radioactive long, three months of recovery time will allow the fallout to decay a goodly bit.  In three months he should pop the family in the car and haul ass in a greatly depopulated urban area if they dont get rescued first.  If searchers are in the area it is safe enough to come out and move directly away from the city center. 

Lesson: Be flexible, he was influenced by his friend's plan, his own previous planning and not adapting when the secret was made public.  At that point he should have looked and said, "the panic is on, I am still not able to leave for quite a while and I need gas still.  ****it, I will shelter in place."

Thought on fuel storage:  I have stored gas to get the vehicles out of dodge based on the distance to the BOL and all vehicles having at least half a tank (family SOP).  I need to store gas so I can BO even if one or both of the vehicles are near empty.  I can always take the gas with me if I dont need it.