Author Topic: Bullet casting books?  (Read 5842 times)

Offline onesureshot

• Prepper
Bullet casting books?
« on: October 30, 2009, 08:32:59 AM »
I am interested in getting into bullet casting. Can anyone recommend some good books to help me get started? I have done a google search, but came up with more data manuals than actual "how to" material. I know I will need the data down the road, but for right now I am just looking for instructional material.

Thanks in advance.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Bullet casting books?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »
This does have data in it but is has a very comprehensive how-to section- this is where I started.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=796528

"Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook"

Edited by Ken Ramage. Everything you ever wanted to know about cast lead bullets in one book. Includes the 100-year history of the Ideal/Lyman line. Contains more than 5000 tested loads for the cast bullet shooter. Features over a hundred pages of trajectory and wind-drift tables for cast, center-fire rifle bullets. 415 Pages - Softcover.
Author: Lyman Publishing
Publisher: Lyman
Date of Publication:
Number of Pages: 415

Summary of Material:

Contains more than 5000 tested loads for the cast bullet shooter. Features over a hundred pages of trajectory and wind- drift tables for cast, center-fire rifle bullets

Notes:

Softcover

Illustrations

This book does not have holes punched.

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:58:59 AM »
FYI, I just checked Midway and they list the "Lyman Bullet Casting Handbook 4th edition" coming soon with an expected arrival date of 2/22/10.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »
I actually use the OLD 1960s era version of the Lyman cast bullet manual. You can find them at auctions and ebay usually. Not saying NOT to get the new one tho. All the info you can get is good, as things do change over the years.
I like the old book, as it has many old obsolete calibers in it that I enjoy trying to reload for.
RipT

Offline Lunk

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »
I also spend allot of time at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php . Some 10,000+ casters swapping info and helping each other along.  They have compiled a book of sorts you can download off of there Yahoo group. I'm just starting to get into casting but I spent about 6 months on that site reading everything I could and then went and got the Lyman book as well. Read there stickies they have a ton of information in them.

Offline rickomatic

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »
I've got the Lyman 3rd edition, and it has lots of good info. The Lee reloading manual also has a very extensive casting section with some different insights on matching bullets and hardness to specific loads for improved accuracy.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1269568117.5535=/html/catalog/bookpg.html