Author Topic: Intro to reloading...what equipment do I really need  (Read 10798 times)

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
Intro to reloading...what equipment do I really need
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:13:40 AM »
So, I watched some youtube video's on reloading and read the manuals and other stuff.  I used that to compile a list of the most commonly used reloading tools for both pistol and rifle.  Below is the results of my research.  All prices are from Midway, I assume if I shop around on Ebay, Craigslist, other reloading suppliers, etc I can pick up some of the pieces individually cheaper than buying everything at one time from Midway.

My question is, for each item where I list a particular manufacturers producet, is there a better value and which items fall in the catagory "nice to have but not essential". 

RCBS TURRET DELUXE KIT   $389.00
TURRET PRESS                $200.00
UNIFLOW POWDER MEASURE    $68.00
MODEL 502 RELOADING SCALE $72.00
SPEER MANUAL #13   
CASE LUBE KIT                 $15.50
DEBURRING TOOL                 $17.00
CASE LOADING BLOCK   $8.00
HEX KEY WRENCH SET   
PRIMER TRAY 2   
POWDER FUNNEL                $6.00

The above items come as a kit, kit price is $389.  The prices beside the items are if I bought them individually.

The below items are ones I assume I need to sit down and reload match grade rifle and semi-auto pistol rounds.

LEE CARBIDE .45ACP DIE SET (FULL LENGTH SIZING/DECAPPING, EXPANDING POWDER THROUGH, BULLET SEATING, FACTORY CRIMP DIES)    $33.00
LEE PACESETTER 30-30 DIE SET (FULL LENGTH SIZER, BULLET SEATER, FACTORY CRIMP)   $25.00
TUMBLER (LYMAN 600)   $60.00
TUMBLER FILLER (18LB WALNUT HULL)   $16.00
PRIMER POCKET REAMER (LEE)    $2.00
CASE TRIMMER (HORNADY CAM LOK KIT)(7 PILOTS INCLUDED)   $65.00
HORNADY SHELL HOLDER   $4.50
HORNADY PILOT   
PRIMER POCKET SWAGER (MIL CASES) RCBS   $27.00
DEBURR TOOL (HORNDADY)   $17.00
FLASH HOLE DEBURR TOOL RCBS   $11.00
DIAL CALIPER, LYMAN 6" SS   $25.00
SMALL BASE DIES   
CASE LUBE PAD (RCBS CASE LUBE KIT)   $16.50
LUBE PAD   
LUBE     
ACCESSORY HANDLE W/2 BRUSHES   
STUCK CASE REMOVAL KIT   
NECK BRUSH (RCBS)   $3.50
POWDER TRICKLER (RCBS)   $12.00
POWDER MEASURE (RCBS)   $68.00
POWDER SCALE (RCBS 502)   $72.00
SHELL HOLDER (FOR PRESS)   
LEE MANUAL PRIMER   $12.00
POWDER FUNNEL   $6.00
LOADING BLOCK   $8.00
BULLET PULLER, LYMAN MAGNUM   $20.00
POWDER SCOOP (LEE IMPROVED POWDER MEASURE KIT)   $8.30

Total for accessories is $321.  So, if I bought them all plus the press kit the total would be $710.  I think, with some shopping around, I could knock off about $200. 

What say ye?

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Intro to reloading...what equipment do I really need
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
A small side note
My recommendation would be to get a single stage press before a progressive.  The single stage will work on just about every caliber you could possibly want to load (some progressives do not work as well with rifle cartridges.)

I am also a creature of finite detail when I am working at the reloading bench.  I measure and trim all of my rifle casings, I will weigh out each charge. 

Having said that...
It looks like your first list has everything you would need (except the consumable components :P )  What calilbers are you going to be loading?  I assume you have 45 and 30-30.  The items below are not necessary for these two calibers.  With .45 and maybe with 30-30, the case trimmer, deburring tool, etc will not be necessary.  Both cartidges can actually get shorter after several firings, instead on longer.

Flash hole tool... do not spend money on this item... (unless you plan on shooting 1,000 yd matches)  This item can be copied from many different tools in your garage.

Case lube kit... I use Hornady "One Shot"
This is a spray in a can, instead of the sticky pad that can apply too much lube onto your cases.  Too much lube can hydraulic the case inside the die (messy problem)

primer pocket swager/primer pocket reamer... if you have factory .223 brass, use that first.  The Mil-Std .223 brass I have found has a WIDE range of variations from batch to batch. 

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »
.45ACP, 30-30, 30-06, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, .44MAG, 32-20WIN  to start.

Offline WhiteStarNC

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
+1 on the single stage.  I like to have a very straight forward method - doing repeating task over and over for each part of the process.  I bought the Lee Challenger Kit (Cabela's is having a sale on them right now).  The only other things I added were the dies (Lee makes a carbide die set that stops your from having to lube), a digital calipler ($10.00 on Ebay) and some universal reloading trays.  My volume is not high enough to justify the cost of a progressive, and I like the relaxation this provides.

Good luck.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:06:17 AM »
YOu might want to start with a kit.  Reload some and then worry about make match ammo.  Pistol is easier to start with!  Unless to make alot of ammo a progressive might be over kill.  I do 5k-6k a year on a single stage just fine(.45, .223, .308).  Also, like RCBS dies over lee.  THe pistol dies are too tight and the rifle dies just seem cheap.  I have some of both and I will be sticking with RCBS.  This is the kit I should have bought to start:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20847_TGP&id=0018937214924a&navCount=2&podId=0018937&parentId=cat20847&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

This is the kit that I got and it has worked so far:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20847&id=0003080216577a&navCount=7&podId=0003080&parentId=cat20847&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
Great thread.  Reloading his high on my list of projects for this year.

Offline trhooka

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:31:16 PM »
IMHO

I like your choice of a turret press. You can mount and adjust all of the dies for a caliber. You will still want to do each stage one at a time for all brass before moving on to the next.  If you are going to tumble your brass, do it first thing. If you use mid range loads as listed in the manual, you will not have to worry about trimming a lot. Of the items not on my list, the case trimmer would be next to have. The following list is just what I have found to be needed to load reliable and safe ammunition. As for the rest. I have most of it acquired over forty years of reloading. You just don't need a lot of it.

Should have to start:
(* Could wait)
PRESS
POWDER MEASURE
RELOADING SCALE
RELOADING MANUAL
LOADING BLOCK   
LEE AUTO PRIME*
SHELL HOLDERS
POWDER TRICKLER*
TUMBLER*
TUMBLER FILLER*
PRIMER POCKET REAMER
DIAL CALIPER
CARBIDE DIES

tr

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
What do you really need: Classic Lee Loader, hammer, brass, bullets, primer, powder.

What makes this faster: everything else you have listed.

I started with a single stage, 20 years later I am still using a single stage.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
I started to reload to save money.  If you sink hundreds and hundreds of dollars into reloading it is really hard to get your money out.  The other thing is that you might want to figure out is whether or not you like reloading.  Personally I like it because it is something that I can do inside, by myself, to relax.  I will admit if I get behind and I have to do alot of loading it can be  kind of mind numbing...

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »
Another important thing to think about is a bench and a place to do it.  All I have is a kitchen sink base with 3/4 MDF on top and some 2x4 screwed to the board then I mounted the press and stuff to it.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
I have more bench space than you, but I have to envy your drill press.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:01:36 AM »
I have to say...
I think Folgers had no idea what they were getting into when they started using the plastic tubs for their coffee....

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
I have to say...
I think Folgers had no idea what they were getting into when they started using the plastic tubs for their coffee....

If only we could get them to put good coffee in those tubs.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:56:34 AM »
HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!
I drink it... cause it is the only thing they supply us here at work.  It IS better then nothing.

I will be laughing about that all day!!! Thanks for the humor!!!!