Author Topic: Champion Generators at Cabela's  (Read 2584 times)

Offline TheMidwesterner

• Survivor
Champion Generators at Cabela's
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »
Right now, Cabela's has a couple of Champion Generators on sale.  I picked up a 3500W (4000W surge) model for $280 (including tax (which was basically wiped out by my $20 coupon) and free in-store pickup).  They also have a 1200W (1500W surge) model for $200.

This wasn't one of the units that I was initially considering, but I checked out the reviews on it on Cabela's and Tractor Supply websites and found overwhelmingly positive experiences.  Between that, the price, and a spouse who is still coming around to the prepper mindset saying to buy it, I couldn't resist.  I did indicate to her that this was just a start, and I'd be buying a least one more generator some day.  She said "why not buy two at that price?"  I said I'd rather wait and buy something more robust.

While not my first choice, it ought to get the job done in an emergency.  Especially considering that we've had one power outage (lasting more than a few seconds) in eight years of living here and that lasted just a couple of days.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd pass along the deal to anyone interested.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:13:50 PM by TheMidwesterner »

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
Re: Champion Generators at Cabela's
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up - if only there was a Cabellas here in California! :(

Interested to see what you think of the Champion - I've seen a couple (at around $400 used) go by on various bulletin boards but hadn't heard of them before.  Especially interested to see how loud you feel it runs.

-N
Region 8, SoCal

Offline TheMidwesterner

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up - if only there was a Cabellas here in California! :(

Do you have Tractor Supply out there?  TSC had the same model (or a similar one - Champion has several 3500/4000W models) listed for $300.

Interested to see what you think of the Champion - I've seen a couple (at around $400 used) go by on various bulletin boards but hadn't heard of them before.  Especially interested to see how loud you feel it runs.

I'm not sure how good of a judge I'll be, as I don't have much experience with generators, but I'll certainly post a reply here to give my initial impressions.  I plan to test it out with some of the loads I'm planning on relying upon it for ASAP after I get it (after they they get it in for pick up).  I guess I could compare it noise-wise to my mower and snow blower which both happen to have engines with similar HP and/or displacement.  If there was one thing that was one recurring critical comment prevalent in the reviews it was that it was noisier than expected.  Others said it was quieter than a Honda - don't know if that is believable, but I'll let you know what I find.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 03:56:25 PM »
Do you have Tractor Supply out there?  TSC had the same model (or a similar one - Champion has several 3500/4000W models) listed for $300.
I'll have to check - thanks for the pointer!

I'm not sure how good of a judge I'll be, as I don't have much experience with generators, but I'll certainly post a reply here to give my initial impressions.  I plan to test it out with some of the loads I'm planning on relying upon it for ASAP after I get it (after they they get it in for pick up).  I guess I could compare it noise-wise to my mower and snow blower which both happen to have engines with similar HP and/or displacement.  If there was one thing that was one recurring critical comment prevalent in the reviews it was that it was noisier than expected.  Others said it was quieter than a Honda - don't know if that is believable, but I'll let you know what I find.

They may be referring to the 'standard' line of Honda generators, as opposed to those marketed as "super quiet."  I'm sure it's in the same range as the standard Honda generators - no one comes close to the super quiet ones and the prices for those reflects that!

Either way, looking forward to your review.

-N
Region 8, SoCal

Offline TheMidwesterner

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »
Well, I picked up this unit from Cabela's yesterday.  Managed to get out of the store without me, or my wife, buying anything else - I think that is a first.  Anyhow, if you are looking for something quiet, this isn't it.  As I mentioned before, the motor is similarly sized to the ones on my mower and snow blower.  It isn't any louder than either, but it also isn't much quieter - despite a much larger muffler.  Does that mean I don't think it is a good value?  No - it still seems to be a decent deal.

I have yet to test it out with some bigger loads as I am waiting for my heavy duty extension cord to get in at my local Ace.  Most places don't seem to stock the heavier gauges.

On another note, it was very easy to start.  I thought that it was B.S. when I read all the reviews and people said 'started on the first pull,' but I am glad to report that this was also my experience.  I put in about half a quart of full-synthetic 10W-30, enough 87 octane gas to give it a test, turned on the fuel, choke and ignition switch and gave the starter cord a light tug and she fired right up - probably didn't need the choke as I immediately shut it off to stabilize.  Despite the tags and instructions that say 'no oil in unit' and 'add 0.6 L of oil' it did come with a little oil in it, so keep this in mind when filling with oil for the first time if you buy this, or any other, unit.  Put in a little at time and check the level until it is full.

I will report back when I have had a chance to test it with some actual loads on properly sized extension cords.

Offline arhdc

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 08:08:38 AM »
I can give a +1 to the small Champion genorators. I have a TSC model (near as I can tell basically the same as the Cabellas one except it has a higher wattage of 1800/1400) and it is a great little unit for the price. I paid $150 on a black Friday special and would buy a 2nd one if given that price again.

It starts and runs easily, sips fuel and while not exactly quiet, it's not bad for a genorator.  The small Champions get good reviews online as well and genorator reviews are notoriously brutal. One review I found had a pair of them from Cabellas (same 79cc engine with the 1500/1200 rating) had them running for 3200+ hours for one (before dieing) and the 2nd still going after 3400 hours (he added hour meters to them).

I use mine all the time around the house and I can run two refrigerators/deeps freezers off of it and it handles a 15amp circular saw just fine.  It's a great little genorator and truly will meet most of the truly emergency genorator needs (as long as your heating system is not involved) and it's just plain handy.

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 09:05:04 AM »
I picked up a Champion with similar specs at HD on clearance a while back for about the same cost-
Seemed like it was a model no longer being carried as I couldnt IDENTICAL anywhere else.
Only downside was it was configured for RV service-  having both L5-30 and  TT30P plus, along with a household 5-20R.
TOO good of a deal to pass on, I got it and found 2 adapters online for $40ish?
This gives me a total of 4 household 5-20R outlets to run cords (mindful of total watt draw...)

Havent fired it up yet....  but have the treated fuel and synthetic oil ready to fill  (OK gonna do that now for a test run)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
+2 on the small 1200Watt Champion Generators...I've got 2 of them... bought used on Craigs...I keep one at my BOL and at home for running quiet...compared to other standard generators they are pretty quiet. I like the older ones with 12V output for charging batteries...
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline lochaber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 07:08:16 AM »
My 3500/4000 Champion was quite treasured in the aftermath of Sandy. We were without power for about 8 days, and my generator not only kept my fridge and heat on it also did the same for the two neighbors on either side of me. With 3 fridges it was getting pushed pretty hard and power quality was beginning to suffer (fried my power tool battery charger).  Also because of gas shortages I was running a few hours on, a few hours off, probably an average of 8h a day. Total fuel usage for the 8 days was 14.5 gallons, and I had about 10 left without resupply. Always starts with one pull (when it doesn't it means I forgot to flip the switch on the front).

My only worry is how quickly it mucks up the oil. I changed its oil after Sandy and that point it probably had about 100 hours on that oil change it was a rather nasty sludge. Keep it in fresh oil.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »
    My Homelite says to change the oil after 24 hours of use. I have used synthetic for twice that long if push comes to shove. I try to keep two or three spare qts. on hand for that reason. My generator is now about 18 years old and needs spray start to get  going.

Offline lochaber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
My manual says 100h or every season.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »
  When in doubt read the instructions.