Photobucket

Author Topic: Holly Shiznit a "Snow Hurricane"  (Read 7236 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Holly Shiznit a "Snow Hurricane"
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:15:44 PM »
keep your powder dry and your larder stocked in the north east folks,

Original Article at http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=eastusnews

A powerful storm of historical proportions is aiming at much of the Northeast Thursday into Friday and will follow up to a foot and a half of snow through Wednesday over upstate New York and western New England.

This second storm will be nothing short of a monster. Even in light of the blizzards earlier this winter that targeted the southern mid-Atlantic, this may be the one that people remember the most this winter in parts of New England and the northern mid-Atlantic.

At its peak, the storm will deliver near hurricane-force wind gusts (74 mph) blinding snow falling at the rate of over an inch per hour. For some people in upstate New York and eastern and northern Pennsylvania, this may seem more like a "snow hurricane" rather than a blizzard.

[...snip...]
For the rest of the article search on the accuweather.com website listed above - the link provided is no longer accurate. Sorry!
Edited by Nadir_E in accordance with DMCA rules & regulations.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:08:11 PM by Nadir_E »
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline ExZ

• Survivor
Re: Holly Shiznit a "Snow Hurricane"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »

Many schools will be closed or have early dismissals.

I never understood this when living up north..... A SNOW HURRICANE is on the way and yet you'll always have that one school that figures "Eh, We'll chance it." :P

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »
No. That's the school district that I drive for.  (We did have 2 snow days this year tho.  Shocking!)
"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »
They can send a little of that over this way, I could use a day or two off work...like that would happen.  I rather enjoy my walk (take that OPEC!) to work and if there is new snow on the ground, more better!  The worse it gets the better I like it!
It's ham radio, or better yet, amateur radio, not HAM...it isn't an acronym.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't get paid for days that school is not in session.  :'(

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
Thanks Jack......we have relatives in the East.
I am a Lass......I am a Wallace......I love God......I protect my family.......and I will fight to the death to defend them and my freedom!

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:52:26 AM »
I am right in cone over this storm. If you want some awesome weather info for the mid-atlantic check out

http://www.liveweatherblogs.com/

Hollis
A homestead outside of Wilmington, DE

Offline Pathfinder

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:40:50 AM »
Sadly, this will be the storm that everyone remembers because of all the whining coming out of the lazy, self-serving media whores in NYC.

Seriously, 18" of snow with high winds has everyone this worked up? Have we become that complacent?

Other parts of the country get that much - sometimes multiple times in a winter - and no one even notices, we just go on about our work and deal with it. There is a drift (windblown) that was 6' at one point right outside my kitchen window. We officially have 20" of compacted snow on the ground right now, representing maybe 30-40" of accumulated snowfall - more than we had before the floods last season on the Red River - and winter ain't over yet.

Jack's right, though - now is the time to get ready, not after it hits. As with any serious weather issue, my prayers are with all of you in the path or affected by this storm.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:54:56 AM »
Everyone stay safe up there. I wonder if any of that is supposed to come down to NC. I hope not. We have been having warmer weather lately and it would just be rain and slush most likely.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »
pathfinder,

Your right about the self serving media in New York and especially east Jersey and NYC but this will be pretty bad.  The high winds and wet heavy snow will take out as much electricity perhaps more then ice storms usually do.  I would say the store shelves will be stripped by about 1400 today,
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline grog

• Prepper
    • The grog blog on wordpress
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 09:39:17 AM »
It seems like the Eastern US is under the Weather Hammer. As such I hope folks will be careful. It would be really ugly to need EMS for any thing in conditions like that.

With the rate of Snow and winds, the damage is not going to be light. The mix of the two conditions is very likely going to be fatal and them some. Thanks for the post.

Preps  are good, Preps with planning better.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »
What you are seeing this year is the natural result of a solar minimum just as we saw the natural results of a solar maximum in the late 90s. 
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

amanadoo

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
We're getting hit here in Burlington pretty good right now, but just snow at the moment. According to the news, a ton of people have lost power already, which is crazy because the wind hasn't started yet. I'm stuck in with the babies, but we're set as long as the gas and water stays on. We'll manage if they don't. I'll hop on here if anything insane big goes on, but I think it's supposed to be much worse South of here and across the lake.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »
I'm in that storm right now...northwestern Mass in the mountains. We have more than 2' that's fallen so far and it's still coming down.
It's so heavy and wet that there are sure to be power outages at some point. Snow blowers  are having a hard time chewing through it as it's so wet. We're trying to blow as much out of here as we can in case it ices over later on.  With the wind picking up, we'll have huge drifts, one accross the "main" road in and one accross the drive. Last year they got as high as 6 feet tall and 8-10' through.  Another tomorrow, the "snow blizzard" is gonna be fun! (not)  Ah well, we're prepared and snug, so no worries!
I'm always working to get ready.
shtfradio.com Thurs. 8 eastern
http://greensurviving.blogspot.com/

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
I don't know about that solar business, the arguments about how global warming leads to cold weather sound pretty convincing to me.

Offline ExZ

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 11:07:55 AM »
I don't know about that solar business, the arguments about how global warming leads to cold weather sound pretty convincing to me.

Anyway you swing it people will always find an argument for or against global warming........

Myself I'm just tired of it all because in my life I've never seen a good decade for weather and history shows weather has always been a bitch. I'll just let the scientists argue and use my time to prepare for either outcome.

Offline Pathfinder

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
pathfinder,

Your right about the self serving media in New York and especially east Jersey and NYC but this will be pretty bad.  The high winds and wet heavy snow will take out as much electricity perhaps more then ice storms usually do.  I would say the store shelves will be stripped by about 1400 today,

I re-read what I wrote, and all I can say is I was cranky this morning. Yeah, it does boil down to the experience and preparedness of the communities to deal with massive snows and outages. Many of the power lines around here are underground for that very reason. I did not mean to marginalize the storm, just the anticipated whining from the Neuw Yahkers.

Wet, heavy sloppy snow sucks for snowblowers. Do not have a heart attack clearing it by hand though - slow and steady is best.

Be safe everyone.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 12:51:01 PM »
And here I am in balmy sixty degree weather in WA, with not a touch of snow all winter.
"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights."

-Major General Smedley Butler, USMC

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »
What you are seeing this year is the natural result of a solar minimum just as we saw the natural results of a solar maximum in the late 90s. 

Lets hope it isn't another Maunder Minimum.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline Zef_66

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 03:27:41 PM »
Cities likely to be impacted by heavy snow for all or at least part of the storm include: New York City, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Scranton, Allentown, Reading, Williamsport and Burlington.

I'm right on the line between "Paryalyizing Blizzard" and "Significant Snowfall". So I'm sure the wife will have a day or two off work at her school. But nothing different for me other than the daily commute taking 1.5 hours rather than just an hour.
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »
Well, outside Albany, it's pretty much over. [for today anyway, there's more to come the next two days] I don't even know how many inches we got, it was a bunch, and, some of the most awful stuff I can remember. Pretty much put my snowthrower over the top; off it went to the repair shop. This was the first usage it got this year, even getting it out ready and firing it up was of no value, since there's no way of getting it some exercise by putting a real load on it.  I wish we had it around 20 degrees, so it would have been drier and lighter. There was just no pushing this stuff around; just shove in the shovel and lift. Yuck!

I have to admit, when then power went out, I was kind of excited. Alas, it came back on within an hour. This could have been a real bad one, though, the weight of the snow was amazing, a lot like the October storm about 20 years ago that took down so many branches and wires.

Now, where was my heating pad?  :( :(
"What kind of recovery is this? We don't know, but if it continues much longer we'll all be unemployed."-Bill Bonner

"The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled and the pubic debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officialdom should be tempered and controlled. And the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest we become bankrupt.  - Cicero, 63 B.C.

2 Timothy 2:2 The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
Report from Boston area, two inches of snow last night and rain all day.   Hoping to drive home on Friday... damn... shouldn't be allowed to snow on a Thursday night@!

Offline Q_Dog

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »
Well wish me luck! Allentown was on the list of getting hit bad! Fire wood, check. Candles and flash lights, check. Shoot, I need eggs, bread, and milk! Haha! I guess I'll see how well I'm prepped.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 08:06:27 PM »
I'm on the western line of this storm.  This morning they were calling for 3-6", by evening 6-10".  Per the latest report, if it moves as little as 30 miles west we could be seeing 12+".

What makes this bad is the lack of funds to pay for it in PA.  PennDOT is reporting they have used the majority of their snow removal budget and are going to be cutting into the funds used for Spring cleanups.  Harrisburg city is essentially bankrupt and during the last round of storms Mayor Linda Thompson held off as long as possible to declare a snow emergency, which reduced the number of trucks on the road to deal with the bad weather.  I wonder what the impact on economic activity was in the city for her delay.  Lancaster, PA, had the mayor on the local news, half joking, asking for donations to help with the snow cleanup because they had depleted their snow removal funds and were dipping into road repair money.

I don't believe in global warming because it is a conservationist buzz word.  I do however believe in in climate change because any open system is going to continue to change. ;D
The Permaculture Podcast

Permaculture Design Certificate
Advanced Permaculture Course in Teaching Certificate
Graduate Student in Parks and Resource Management and Environmental Education

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
And here I am in balmy sixty degree weather in WA, with not a touch of snow all winter.

Consider yourself "slapped silly"!   ;D

Offline kiteflyer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »

Maybe all of Congress will be buried in snow until Hell freezes over! Just a thought!

kiteflyer
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »

Don't take it wrong but your statement shows why you would say such a thing. 

"I don't know about that solar business"

Hell man if you leave the sun out of the equation you will believe anything the bullshit artists tell you.  Stein dude no I am not pissing in your boot it is just raining.  ;)  It feels warm because of global warming man it isn't a urine stream.  HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE STILL BELIEVE THIS CRAP, seriously,  ???  After climategate I question how anyone can take these lying globalists at their word.
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »
Absolutely!  It's all about some people making money selling their product(s) and others receiving kickbacks. 
God has taken care of this planet *forever* and always will -His way!  "Man" has no real say in it.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 10:26:29 PM »
At the rate that humans breed, we will exceed the carrying capacity of the land and die off from disease and starvation long before global warming could ever harm us.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
That, or "our" "wonderful" government will get us into a global war (III) and get us nuked - which will take care of much of the population.  >:(