Author Topic: What is your most none-typical hunting story?  (Read 5033 times)

Chance Sanders

What is your most none-typical hunting story?
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:31:41 PM »
I would like to know some of your hunting stories where things didn't go according to plan. I have a few of these stories myself and I think that we miss out on learning valuable lessons from these unorthodox methods.   

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: What is your most none-typical hunting story?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Hmmmm.   Too many to list.

There is the story about my first turkey hunt.  First turkey wouldn't come from behind a huge bramble bush.  Second turkey=gun failure (operator error), third turkey=surprise fly-in.

Then there was the last turkey hunt where I tried to talk my brother out of a running assault.  That didn't work so I went along with it.

There's the story about the deer that I wounded with an SKS and had to chase down with a handgun and dispatch.

The biggest deer I killed (138 Typical scored) came in from the opposite direction my dad was driving from and I had to shoot quickly (muzzleloader).

I've seen deer fighting and mating while hunting.  I was never mean enough to shoot during either event.

My favorite hunt was the first goose hunt we ever had where we killed any and we limited.  It was like magic. 

I killed a 70lb. beaver one night. 

Too many raccoon hunts with a scratched up face from thicket-running to count.  We never struck out doing that.  Fell into the river/creek many times chasing those dogs though.

This was all during my formative years.  I must be getting less reckless.  All my more modern hunts have been much more calm.

J

Chance Sanders

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
I have a ten point on the the wall that I took after climbing down out of my stand , running through the woods and shooting two bucks that were fighting. I also have an 8pt because I strung up a poncho in a lite drizzle of rain. I awoke to him walking within 10ft of me lying there under that poncho. REM 870, he never had a chance. 

Offline 1floridacracker

• Prepper
  • it is easier to get forgiveness than permission
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »
a buddy of mine and i got lost one night out on orange lake, we ran out of gas while looking for the boat ramp. we had two non-tagged alligators on board. while stopped asking directions from another group of gator hunters and refueling the game warden rode up on their air-boat. we had about five violations, and the boat of strangers also had several. i saw a couple of them a couple of weeks later while waiting my turn in court. still, alligator hunting is the best hunting that i have ever been a part of.

mtman

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:26:09 PM »
Three of us were hunting duck in Alaska (I lived there at the time). My friend with the boat dropped us off on an island while he went in the middle of the lake. Every time he shot ducks we had to duck because the pellets were landing all around us. He got all the ducks and all we did was duck.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
We were hunting the late season on the coast of Washington. The rain was coming down in buckets.
When we got to our camping spot the place was nearly full. We ended up taking the last spot available right next to the road at the top of the road. We proceeded to go out and hunt getting soaked in the process spent an afternoon watching a part albino buck on a shear hill side. Then lowing the stalk.

We return to the camper to dry out and get dinner. Rain was still coming in buckets, a check of the river prior to retiring for the evening and it was threatening the lowest camp grounds right at the rivers edge about 30ft below our camp. 

3 hrs later someone is banging on our camper say you better get out.

We haul out of the camper to see the river in the camp right below us, they are trying to rescue coolers and gear. We hooked up threw our gear into the truck as quick as possible. We hauled out and made camp on the side of the road.

Returned the next morning to find the bridge that crossed road right above the campground was now in the middle of the campground.
Great start to the hunt.  Our spot had been flooded.

The next day I'm driving to an area that I've seen elk before hoping to get access around all the flooded areas.  Water was flowing across the logging road but it was clearly only a few inches deep so we started across.  The road collapsed on the right side and my rig is sitting on it on 45 degree angle with the left rear up in the air. Water is flooding into the passenger side and my hunting buddy is try to scramble over the top of me.

I got out and he gets out I have to go into thewet side of the ditch to lock in the hubs with only two wheels I wasn't able to get out. So it was a 2 mile hike to the main road for help. First truck is little toyota but he has a winch. The owner is willing to help but doesn't really want to stress his truck. He hooked on and with the added pull I was free of the ditch in short order.
The only damage was the cover on the right front hub had spun part way off. I washed the mud out and replaced a screw to close it up. Everything seemed fine.

I got back to the main road with in two miles the right hub was starting to screech. I pulled off the to the shoulder and start to get tools out to jack up the front end so I can pull the wheel and disassemble the hub. I asked my buddy to pull it foward to be in better position with the first squel out of the wheel a herd of elk starts pouring out a near by treeline, with the herd bull screaming his head off.
Needless to say we dropped the tools and started hunting. First time I called and elk with a truck. Ended up fixing the truck in the dark.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:53:08 AM »
 I was goose hunting with a friend and he had invited the guy who owned the gun shop I worked for. Great guy, great shot, but NOT a hunter. We had a cut cornfield with a small diamond shaped plot of trees and brush in the center, big lake 1/4 mile to the east, 20 decoys layed out...great place and great day for 'em. As the geese came off the lake and started flying our way, we started calling and they slowly turned our direction, heading straight for the decoys. As we see the geese get within shooting range, my boss runs out of the cover, (even though we had a perfect shooting hole), and ran out into the field, shooting. Knowing he would cause the geese to turn, I ran out the same side, standing to his right, and tossed my 12ga up while he took a second shot. As my right eye layed down the bead of my shotgun, my left eye caught a dark moving shadow. I glanced up to my left, and it was too late. WHAMMMMOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!......................the goose he shot slammed straight into my left shoulder. I fell over into the mud, my 11-87 flew out of my hand and flew into the mud as well. So, here I am. Laying in the cold, wet mud in a corn field, not knowing whether to be mad or laugh. Non-typical? Yea. I just got knocked on my azz by a dead goose.  :D

Possenti2264

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:58:20 AM »
One hunt, I actually saw a deer.

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
Driving home from work last week in the early morning (I work third shift) The jeep Cherokee in front of me hit a young buck. Never even hit his breaks. This was right near my house, so one call to Fish and game and in an hour or so I was cutting up a deer. The funny part was that a carpet salesman drove into my driveway as I was dropping the bag of leavings in the trash. In the middle of his opening pitch I slowly raised my blood soaked hands and politely told him I wasn't interested. Off he went. Also sharing some meat with my friends it's always fun to inform them (after they're dug in) that they're eating roadkill.

endurance

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
My first antelope season after two decades of deer and elk hunting.  I saw a group of three coming toward me at about 100 yards, at a slight angle.  I spent so much brain power calculating the rate of travel to properly lead the shot and neglected to positively identify my target.  Perfect heart/lung shot, ran about 75 yards and dropped like a stone.  Unfortunately, it was a buck and I had two doe tags; right species, wrong sex.  I tried to call the game warden that night, but the 1-800 number wasn't working.  My hunting buddies suggested leaving that night to elude the warden, but that's just not my style.  Instead, I drove into town the next morning, went to the Forest Service office and spoke with the LEO.  She called the game warden and we waited.  When he arrived, he cut off the head (trophy), allowed me to keep the meat, and gave me the smallest ticket he could.  Beyond that, both the USFS LEO and the warden told me to call them next year and they'd help me with my elk or antelope hunt next year, assuring me they could get me on an animal.  They told me I was the kind of hunter they wanted to see come back to Wyoming.

Pretty cool outcome for a situation that made me sick to my stomach.  I hope it never happens again, but it was a great lesson in 'it pays to be an honest guy'.  Had I crossed back into Colorado with an illegally acquired animal, it would have been a federal felony.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
My first antelope season after two decades of deer and elk hunting.  I saw a group of three coming toward me at about 100 yards, at a slight angle.  I spent so much brain power calculating the rate of travel to properly lead the shot and neglected to positively identify my target.  Perfect heart/lung shot, ran about 75 yards and dropped like a stone.  Unfortunately, it was a buck and I had two doe tags; right species, wrong sex.  I tried to call the game warden that night, but the 1-800 number wasn't working.  My hunting buddies suggested leaving that night to elude the warden, but that's just not my style.  Instead, I drove into town the next morning, went to the Forest Service office and spoke with the LEO.  She called the game warden and we waited.  When he arrived, he cut off the head (trophy), allowed me to keep the meat, and gave me the smallest ticket he could.  Beyond that, both the USFS LEO and the warden told me to call them next year and they'd help me with my elk or antelope hunt next year, assuring me they could get me on an animal.  They told me I was the kind of hunter they wanted to see come back to Wyoming.

Pretty cool outcome for a situation that made me sick to my stomach.  I hope it never happens again, but it was a great lesson in 'it pays to be an honest guy'.  Had I crossed back into Colorado with an illegally acquired animal, it would have been a federal felony.
Good on you. +10

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:57:26 PM »

+1 Ethics is about doing the right thing when nobodys looking.