Author Topic: Gamma Seal Lids and Mylar Bags...do you need both?  (Read 16708 times)

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
Gamma Seal Lids and Mylar Bags...do you need both?
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »
Ok Im confused. I bought 20 pounds of Rice, 20 pounds of Pinto Beans and some flour. Its a meager start but we all need to start somewhere right. I went down to Home Depot and bought their Orange Homer buckets. They were on sale for 2 dollars and some change. I did not buy lids because I thought you were supposed to get the Gamma Seal Lids. But after some reading the bucket is really just to protect the mylar. So whats the point of spending seven dollars on a Gamma Seal Lid? Or is it the case where you either use mylar or a gamma seal lid?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Gamma Seal Lids and Mylar Bags...do you need both?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »
I believe the idea is for easy access after you have opened the Mylar bag. You can just open a lid instead of resealing if you are using it again. Try and get free buckets w/ lids from bakery's to save money, they work the exact same....

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:17:51 PM »
Check out this guy's video he does a great job explaining it...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7_cTn6YpE&feature=related

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:37:36 PM »
Ah I see now. I know when I was typing out the question I was asking a dumb noob question. Oh well. I watched all three parts and I think its odd that guy never mentions freezing your grain which seems like a simple thing to do to prevent bugs. He mentions buying your food in the winter after a few frosts but never just throwing it in the freezer for a couple days. Also, I dont know about using grain that was intended for animals such as in that video. I would prefer storing food intended for human consumption. But all in all I understand how it works much better now thank you.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:42:33 PM by Spamity Calamity »

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:14:33 PM »
I put my rice in a bag and just keep it in the freezer...

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
I use both, vacuum sealed bags inside of a gamma lid sealed bucket.  Maybe redundant, but so be it.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:29:10 AM »
I put my rice in a bag and just keep it in the freezer...

I do that for about a week then I move it buckets.  I keep about 120 lbs at home.   It seems like alot but I eat quite a bit of it.  I do the same with my wheat and flour to.

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
I use the mylar bags inside of food grade buckets along with o2 absorbers. Cheap insurance IMHO. I don't use the gamma seals on all buckets, just the newly opened ones of each type...

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 07:58:55 PM »
Meant to add this in my origional post. I don't mylar bag the stuff I am using before a year, just the longer term stuff.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »
Meant to add this in my origional post. I don't mylar bag the stuff I am using before a year, just the longer term stuff.

Ahhhh that puts things into perspective. Great. Well Ive ordered six 5 gallon mylar bags and enough oxygen absorbers to provide 1500ccs per bag. This will be my first goal is to have six five gallon buckets of pinto beans, rice, flour, and pasta. I know I will feel much better knowing I have atleast a little bit of food on hand.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 08:18:51 PM »
Next question. You guys that freeze everything do you freeze EVERYTHING? Not just rice and beans but also the flour, pasta, quaker oats etc? I ask because I was packing stuff into the deep freezer to freeze before I sealed it and I didnt know if I was supposed to freeze everything including the bags of flour and macaroni.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:20:34 PM by Spamity Calamity »

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 09:29:45 PM »
I freeze everything but the pasta.  Unless someone here tells me that they have had some issue with pasta bugs I just do the flour rice and beans. 

tash

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 01:53:49 PM »
I freeze everything but the pasta.  Unless someone here tells me that they have had some issue with pasta bugs I just do the flour rice and beans. 

that's always been my thoughts and understanding. I've not heard of anything pasta related.

Also, I'd buy 2 or 3 gamma lids. Once you need to get into your food daily a gamma lid would be really useful. Once that bucket's done but the gamma lid on the next bucket.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:56:01 PM by tash »

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 08:18:47 PM »

that's always been my thoughts and understanding. I've not heard of anything pasta related.

Also, I'd buy 2 or 3 gamma lids. Once you need to get into your food daily a gamma lid would be really useful. Once that bucket's done but the gamma lid on the next bucket.

Sounds good Ill prolly do that.

Offline Lowdown3

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 01:56:43 PM »
www.bucketpacking.com

www.howtopackfood.com

Two good resources from folks that have been packing and storing food for over 20 years.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
www.bucketpacking.com

www.howtopackfood.com

Two good resources from folks that have been packing and storing food for over 20 years.

Thx for the linkies. The video has already been linked to ealrier in the thread and I watched that guys instructions. I have a few issues with that video which I posted earlier but all in all it was useful for getting the overall idea.

also update!!! I have successfully stored 60 pounds of beans, 60 pounds of rice, and 50 pounds of flour in mylar and home depot orange buckets with O2 absorbers! I used a hair straigtener to seal the bags which works awesome for the task. It feels good to set a goal and reach it and the peace of mind has actually made me feel a little calmer and more in control of my life if that sounds weird Im sorry. I ordered enough materials to pack another 6 buckets and this time Im thinking, macaroni, powdered milk, potato flakes, oatmeal and what else?

PS sorry I would like to show off my handiwork but we have no digital camera right now :(

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
I have gamma seals for every type of bucket I have: sugar, each type of grain, each type of bean, etc.  I have 2-3 buckets of each, so I only need one per type.  This is about 20 different types of stuff being stored (hey - I do not want to get bored of black beans and rice, okay?)  Unfortunately, gamma seals only come in 6 colors.  soooo.......
I have mixed them up.  All my beans/legumes have a blue ring, and the screw one/off lid part is different - black for black beans, white for white, yellow for lentils, red for kidney, orange of pinto, etc.  All of my flours have black bases, my whole grains have red or yellow bases and my rices have orange bases.  That way I can see at a glance which bucket I want to open instead of twisting the bucket this way and that trying to read the label on the side.
I keep my "open" buckets in one room of the house with the rest of my food storage items (used often "pantry" items) and the sealed buckets in another room where it is cooler (and more storage space!).

My mylar bag stored food will probably not be opened for rotation until I have rotated everything else a few times.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »
I have gamma seals for every type of bucket I have: sugar, each type of grain, each type of bean, etc.  I have 2-3 buckets of each, so I only need one per type.  This is about 20 different types of stuff being stored (hey - I do not want to get bored of black beans and rice, okay?)  Unfortunately, gamma seals only come in 6 colors.  soooo.......
I have mixed them up.  All my beans/legumes have a blue ring, and the screw one/off lid part is different - black for black beans, white for white, yellow for lentils, red for kidney, orange of pinto, etc.  All of my flours have black bases, my whole grains have red or yellow bases and my rices have orange bases.  That way I can see at a glance which bucket I want to open instead of twisting the bucket this way and that trying to read the label on the side.
I keep my "open" buckets in one room of the house with the rest of my food storage items (used often "pantry" items) and the sealed buckets in another room where it is cooler (and more storage space!).

My mylar bag stored food will probably not be opened for rotation until I have rotated everything else a few times.

Nice! Now thats a great way to make your own labeling system.

Offline ozzy88m

• Survivor
  • I am what I am
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 03:48:30 PM »
 Does anyone know where can i find some gamma seal lids at a cheap price, my locale home depot and lowes don't carry them.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 11:02:37 PM »
Does anyone know where can i find some gamma seal lids at a cheap price, my locale home depot and lowes don't carry them.

There was a sale on them at sportsmans guide a while ago they were five and some change a piece. Might wanna check there.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 11:43:02 PM »
beprepared.com and sportsmansguide.com are the only places that I know that have decent prices.