Author Topic: My oven as a dehydrator  (Read 2911 times)

Offline ToDoListHome

• Prepper
  • Doing it for a better life
    • How to live a permaculture life.
My oven as a dehydrator
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
As I try to change my home to a homestead I am challenged with being self reliant along the way. So many products and services that promise you results. Recently I have been trying to dehydrate food without buying a machine and came across The Food Network's Good Eats show of Withering Bites. You can find it at http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season11/dried_fruit/witheringbites.htm

I started using my oven this week with a reptile heat emitter on the bottom of the oven and a fan on the rack where I put the food. So far it has worked beautifully. With the door closed the temp can get up 120 F so I use a ball of aluminum foil to prop open the door and regulate the heat between 100 and 110. In the past three days I've done mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, bananas, orange and lemon peels, oregano and an orange. I went to Costco earlier today to stock up for the next round. I have pics but not sure how to get them to everyone to see. Try it before you buy more plastic.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: My oven as a dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:11:06 PM »
Clever idea! Thanks for sharing this with us...

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:15:25 AM »
Appreciate the reminder of that show. I have it on DVD lying around!

I like drying burger in my oven!

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »
I like the idea of using an oven for dehydrating.  Here's an idea.  If you aren't using the electronics that come with it consider watching craigslist or freecycle for someone scrapping an oven from a remodel?  Then you could customize to your heart's content without ruining your primary kitchen oven.  For instance, you could modify it so it takes more racks and rig it to have an exhaust fan sucking air out the back.  For that matter, what about getting an old used (probably free) refrigerator or freezer and convert it to a dehydrator?

You got my mind griding with this one.  I'm going to have to think about that....

-Brian

DevilDoc

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »
Youtube has Smoker videos made from refridgerators and so on and the other guys was right u can get this stuff from free to cheap off of craigslist you can also do a search on google.