Author Topic: backpack pressure points  (Read 4236 times)

coffecat

backpack pressure points
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:01:14 PM »
I need to buy a backpack for myself.  Have never used one or had one on loaded.  I know the shoulders and what part of the back support this backpack?  Can you give me an idea how to try on and what to look for?  Name some things about yours that could help me choose a bp.  Thanx. C

amanadoo

Re: backpack pressure points
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »
I don't have any advice on specific packs, but do you know if there's an outdoor gear exchange in your area? We stopped by the one here, and a guy spent an hour+ answering all our questions. He was very honest, and had no stake in us getting one bag over another. We also learned that you can USE the bags you get there...really run them through the ringer and beat them up, and then return it if you don't like it (any reason). So that could potentially be a good source for you to find what you need to know.

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
coffecat, when looking for a backpack either external or internal frame, you want one with a good padded hip belt. most of your packs weight should be resting on your hips. also look for a pack that has good padded shoulder straps with a sternum strap. the sternum strap will help keep the shoulder straps from pulling on your shoulders.
Ranger Dave

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »
What are you looking for this backpack to do? Camping/backpacking (as in distance hiking), day pack? How much and what kind of stuff are you putting in it?

D

Offline jljmonky

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
A lot of this depends on what you are willing/planning to spend. I love KIFARU packs, they are made to measure to some extent but you pay for that... A good hip belt is necesarry but it need not be padded, it just needs to distribute weight well. Go to Dicks Sporting goods or some other sporting goods store and try stuff on to see how it hangs... good outdoor stores will have multiple packs and will have weights so you can load it to test it out and see how well it will work. REI has an AMAIZING return policy that is helpful, i think most name brand web-pages will have fit charts too...

like I said, I LOVE KIFARU STUFF! www.kifaru.net

coffecat

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
Some nice suggestions here.  I guess it was a totally dumb question, but I have never once in my life had a backpack on.  A loaded one throws me just thinking about it.  It has occurred to me, that  in a bad situation, I would need to walk about 8 miles to my son and daughter's home.  I'm an older person.  The pressure points and recommendations are very important to me. At any rate I would have to walk to a store - not very far on highway, but hands free is important for many reasons.  There is a camping store in Waynesboro that might be able to help me - but I sure do not like going in cold.  Same with repairing my car - have to have an inkling what is wrong.  Have been ripped off before. It is amazing how much one can soak in on the survival sites that might mean the diff between life and death.  Many thanks for any and all recommendations. C.

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 05:49:51 PM »
Look into the concept of "Ultra-light" don't go nuts, just learn methods. Second thing, the majority of weight should be ON YOUR HIPS!!! A good shaped hip belt will make walking a whole lot easier with a load. Don't think in terms of weight, think of what you need for the needed number of hour/days.

I hope this helps!

Muddyboots

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »
If you have never had on a backpack and are not familiar with hiking with a pack, you are not going to be able to carry much weight at all. With that said, a good daypack with comfortable straps and some suport belts is going to hold as much weight as you will be able to carry.

A good first recommendation is to lay out the stuff you think you want to carry - then look for a pack that will carry that gear. If you get a giant bag, you will fill it up.

For your situation, a good airline carry on bag - that uses roller blade wheels - could be a better solution. Another option would be a folding luggage cart. It is not too hard to tow 50-75 pounds of gear behind you. A 50 pound backpack will kill you if you have not trained carrying it on a regular basis.

If you are really looking at a backpack to use as a travel / bug out bag - I would look for a well made daypack. This is basically a larger version of the basic school backpack, with better straps and support belts. I have a jansport bag I use a lot - I can easily fit 30+ pounds of gear in this bag - which is more than I want to carry often.