Author Topic: Should YOU carry a gun? - Podcast  (Read 3824 times)

James Yeager

Should YOU carry a gun? - Podcast
« on: December 28, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »

Offline johndayton

• Survivor
Re: Should YOU carry a gun? - Podcast
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 04:19:53 PM »
one of the best i have heard you do up to this point.

James Yeager

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:25:56 PM »
Thanks. These seem to touch people in different ways.

Offline jpommer

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Safety-On Firearms Training
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:00:58 PM »
Nicely done, James.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:21:01 PM »
Nice Walter Mitty referrence.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:40:27 PM »
Listening to your podcast brought up a couple of incidents I was involved in. So I will share with everyone to help get your point across.

A little intro for those not familiar with me. I'm an LEO with over 20 years of experience. I'm 6 feet tall, 210lbs, workout 5 days a week and bench press over 300lbs on a bad day ;). So with that in mind here goes.

1994- I had been an LEO for 5 years and was still very proactive and aggressive. My heightened patrol awareness was way up there since we had just recently had 2 of our officers killed in the line of duty.
It was dark and around 10pm. I exited my townhouse out the rear to the dumpster out back to empty my trash. I had no shirt on, just shorts and flip flops. As I was carrying the trash I looked to my right and a saw a subject looking into my neighbors ground floor window. I yelled at him and he turned around and pulled out a gun from his jacket. He said something to the effect that he had a gun and he would shoot me. I felt the adrenaline dump and now I was pissed. This jerk thinks he is going to shoot me? I started talking trash to him and at the same time walking towards the dumpster for cover. I guess he wasn't expecting the response I gave him and put him into problem solving mode. He then turned and ran. I ran back to my place, grabbed my gun, radio, vest, and something that said "police" on it. I ran towards the subjects last direction of travel as I called for assistance. We were never able to locate him. I would have never thought I would have to go armed to take out my trash, but from then on I did.

2008- It was the Christmas holiday and I was traveling back home on the interstate. It was dark and around 10 or 11pm. I pulled into a rest area so I could take a bathroom break. I had my German Shepard dog in the front seat next to me. I had my service pistol with me which is a full sized 40cal. (My smaller off duty/back up gun qualification had expired so I couldnt carry it). It was in the side pocket of my drivers door. I jumped out and didn't grab my pistol. I was in and out of the bathroom in a matter of minutes and walking back to my vehicle. I see a hoopty vehicle pull in and park several spaces away. The driver stays in and the passenger gets out. There are no other cars or people out here at the present. My police thinking kicks in and I wonder why the vehicle didn't pull right up the the bathrooms. The passenger starts coming towards me. The scenarios start to play in my mind of what could possibly take place. My gun is in my vehicle and the door is locked. I have my pocket knife with me in my right pocket. I put my right hand into my pocket and grip the knife ready to whip it out in an instant and stab this subject if need be. As he walks towards me I eye him real hard making mental notes and to let him know I am confident and ready to go to battle. He stops a few feet away from me and ask "Do you have any money were are almost out of gas". In a defensive tone of voice I said "Are you kidding me" " No I don't. I don't carry cash". (I lied). He was short and thin and I stood my ground over him. He looks over at my truck and sees my German Shepard and says " You got a pretty big dog there". I don't remember my answer, as I started to make my way over to my truck. I figured he we go and I was waiting for the subject to whip out a weapon and try to rob me. I was mentally prepared so going through the motions to defend myself was secondary. If his intentions were robbery he changed his mind and turned and walked off towards the vehicle he got out of. I then got the door open of my truck and stood there pistol in hand until they drove off.

So yeah carry that gun on you. I do now, always.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »
Thanks for the podcast, I enjoyed it as a reminder of why I do carry a gun.

I would like to add to what you said about employer rules - or any other rules for that matter.  Legally carrying a weapon onto private property in my state (WA) isn't illegal no matter what rules or signs they have.  In my mind there is a difference between the law and rules.  The worst that can happen to me by breaking a rule is being asked to leave (or fired if it is my employer).

Additionally, there are many signs and local rules in my state that are flat incorrect or illegal themselves - I don't mind ignoring those one bit.

It pays to know your rights for wherever you are.

Offline TheMidwesterner

• Survivor
Thanks James!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:03:35 PM »
James, thanks for the podcast.  For the past year or so, my brother-in-law (a LEO with the local PD) has been working on convincing my wife to get a firearm for home protection.  She has begun to come around.  I will have to pass this podcast to her.  Maybe hearing some good reasoning from someone other than her husband or "baby" brother will be more convincing.

With respect to your comment about how carrying a firearm is an inconvenience, at first anyways, I would liken that to being a parent.  Kids do inconvenience a person at first, but any good parent grows into the responsibility and comes to realize that it is totally worth the effort.

With respect to the people in the lobby perhaps this just proves how so many people are simply ostriches as Jack likes to put it.  It's true though - most people out there seem to just sleep walk through life, letting someone else do the thinking.

Thanks, again.  I've been listening to the TSP an awful lot lately, but I think I have found another new podcast to enjoy.

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
It was a point well made. It helped me realize again that choosing to apply for my concealed carry permit was the right choice. It should be finish with its processing in about 3-4 weeks.

Thanks again and keep it up.