Author Topic: Airsoft Gun Seizure – Apparently Toys Can Be Real Guns  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
Airsoft Gun Seizure – Apparently Toys Can Be Real Guns
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:06:27 PM »
Saddly, another example of government's ineptness. Then when they are called out for being morons they make YOU spin up lawyers to get the documents from them proving their side. What the video and you will enjoy watching the ATF Agent put the magazine in backwards.

In all fairness, I have actually had to deal with the ATF on a number of issues and have found their agents to be unusually efficient, kind, and courteous. This guy just seems like a bad egg.

Here is a blog post with all the info.
Airsoft Gun Seizure – Apparently Toys Can Be Real Guns

BrotherWolf

Re: Airsoft Gun Seizure – Apparently Toys Can Be Real Guns
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:03:50 PM »
This fiasco has been making its way around the web and has popped up on almost every forum I frequent.

I agree that how it was handled was probably not the best.  The agent seems to be less than media savvy and didn't get his point across well.  Based on what the media showed and what he said, I'd be all upset about this as well as it does seem silly on the surface.

The comments by the newscaster on how it would be easy to just convert these into real machine guns made me feel like I was going to throw up in my mouth a little...   >:(

That said:

1. The customs agents had the authority to seize the shipment.  The shipment was lacking in documentation and they did not have the required orange tips.  Both easily correctable, but so is getting things back from customs.  Not a huge infraction, but it was breaking laws. 

The shop owners themselves even said that last time it happened (no orange tips) they just went up and were allowed to fix it themselves.

2. The ATFE did have a point about the ability to actually make it into a real gun. 

The lower in question is a very high quality reproduction.  The problem is that the lower is so very close to an actual Colt lower that there exists the possibility for someone to replace the fire control group with a real one and attach an upper. 

Being that the lower is the registered/serialized part of the system, putting in a FCG and attaching an upper assembly could theoretically constitute construction of a weapon.  Where someone is going to get an auto sear without ATFE approval is beyond me, though.   

The dimensions are almost the exact same as a real Colt lower
The pins are in the same place.
The holes for the FCG and LPK are in the same place.
All that's left is slight modification to the receiver and there exists the possibility to actually make it shoot.

But the ATFE wouldn't be able to determine if any of this is possible unless they were to seize the shipment.

BrotherWolf

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:15:32 PM »
And if scary, imported Airsoft guns that could "easily" be converted into evil black rifles are scaring the populace, then they shouldn't look at this picture:

Made out of HDPE.
Plastic = even more evil rifle.  But it's blue, so I guess that it cancels out the evil blackness...

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8035&PN=1&TPN=3
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:20:40 PM by BrotherWolf »

Goober Pyle

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:49:20 PM »
Statement by the shop that was supposed to take delievery of the airsoft replicas:

http://airsoftoutletnw.com/index.php/20100226156/Airsoft-News/Airsoft-An-Industry-Without-Standard.html