Author Topic: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers  (Read 150389 times)

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »
Im back!  So I have another question.  I am looking for a good program that will allow me to record my desktop screen.  Any suggestions?
If you are looking for a still image, in Windows you can hit the Prt Scrn key. This copies the current desktop view to the clipboard. Then just paste into Paint or PhotoShop or whatever.
If you hit Alt-PrtScrn, it gives you just the current window.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2011, 05:53:49 AM »
Are you just wanting to take snapshots of your desktop or are you looking to record the desktop as you perform functions?  Also, what OS are you using?  If your using windows 7, there is a built in recorder for recording the desktop, just type PSR into the search field and it will launch.

If all you need is to take a snapshot when you want one, press the <Print Screen> button on the keyboard and it will capture your current desktop (The whole desktop), then paste it into whatever graphic program you want to use to crop out stuff you don't need.

Also, if you hold the <ALT> key as you press the <Print Screen" button, it will only capture the open application, so you can size it on the screen first, then snapshot it.

There are tons of screen capture utilities out there.  Hit downloads.com and read through them and find one that has features you are looking for.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
For the windows OS I've used SnagIt and Screen Hunter to do selected screen captures: just drag a window around the region you want to copy.  I prefer Screen Hunter; it's Freeware.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
For the windows OS I've used SnagIt and Screen Hunter to do selected screen captures: just drag a window around the region you want to copy.  I prefer Screen Hunter; it's Freeware.

Windows 7 has a decent built in "snipping tool" that works well.  When my company migrated to win7 for corporate stuff (nerds in engineering use Linux or OSX) several people continued using snaggit.  I'm not sure if it was due to ignorance, or if it's a far superior tool.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
evernote works really well for making screen shots, also it si completely awesome for doing web clipping (*the best by a long shot)

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
I want to use something to record my actions while I'm doing it. My OS is Windows xp. Lol old but reliable.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2011, 06:56:09 AM »

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:23 AM »
So I started watching Jacks podcasts and I notice he talks a lot about having a mailing list. How do you setup an email with nimzy@whatever.com as an example. I have only had yahoo and gmail accounts before.

Thanks

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2011, 03:08:21 AM »
So I think I may have answered my own question by reaching episode 15 on jackspiriko.com. I assume that using wordpress it lets you make your email or atleast thats what Jack did in the demo. Do I need to go through somthing like Thunderbird or Outlook then to access the mail.

Will continue to watch the episodes tonite so we will see if I get my answers before then.
Thanks all

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »
So I started watching Jacks podcasts and I notice he talks a lot about having a mailing list. How do you setup an email with nimzy@whatever.com as an example. I have only had yahoo and gmail accounts before.

Thanks
a mailing list is a list of email addresses you send messages to on a periodic basis. so if you have 20 people you want to email a newsletter to, you create a mailing list to send to them. you can do this thru most email programs. just make sure you bcc (blind carbon copy) the email addresses. this hides the email addresses so the people on the list cannot see the other email addresses.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »

Thanks
I host a few web sites,..  for family and friends.  As part of my hosting package with Hostmonster, I have the ability of having a mailing list.  I look at the mailing list as something close to Constant Contact.. 

You can have a mailing list in any email site (gmail, yahoo, etc)  But they may have issue with sending to large number of people.. they may view it as spam...  You also might be limited to the number of people you can send to.  IDK.

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2011, 02:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I think playing around with the tools I have email figured out. Now I have created twitter and FB pages to correspond with my website, does anyone know the best plugins to push to those sites. I have the twitter posting what FB says but thats about it so far.

Thanks again.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2011, 08:07:37 AM »
use mailchimp.com  - free for up to 2000 subscribers... after that it is worth the money

You won't be sorry

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I think playing around with the tools I have email figured out. Now I have created twitter and FB pages to correspond with my website, does anyone know the best plugins to push to those sites. I have the twitter posting what FB says but thats about it so far.

In my experience I have found that all of the methods I know of for automatically posting twitter to FB and vice versa are not reliable 100% of the time. For whatever reason (several variables at play) I would get maybe 75% of twitter posts ever making it to the linked Facebook wall.

Even at the company I work for, we manually do it all even though they want to purchase some ridiculously expensive tool to handle those things (just another reason none of us will get raises) LOL. But even at our company we have ONE Facebook profile and ONE twitter account, and 3 people with access to them who handle the updates.

One larger company I worked for in the past, the main issue and time waster with those profiles ended up being that they needed to hire a TEAM to handle the sheer volume of people communicating with them through FB and twitter (sometimes 1,000 questions, comments, complaints, etc per DAY). But that is a different entity than automating cross-talk between the platforms.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »
My 2 cents on automating Facebook and twitter... don't do it. You want to customize those messages and also it takes up 2 extra minutes on a blog post your probably spent hours crafting.

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2011, 01:21:19 PM »
SexyBookmarks is a very good plugin to try out, but it won't necessarily automatically post your entries to those services. You can try Wordbooker if you want to have your posts automatically go to Facebook, but it can be a huge pain in the tush if/when you change passwords on FB.

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
use mailchimp.com  - free for up to 2000 subscribers... after that it is worth the money

You won't be sorry

+1 - nothing comes close to hosted list management.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
My 2 cents on automating Facebook and twitter... don't do it. You want to customize those messages and also it takes up 2 extra minutes on a blog post your probably spent hours crafting.

Agreed. They are 2 different entities, a Facebook post can contain many more words, links to MP3s or Videos playable directly on the wall while effective Twitter posts use shortened URLS, hash tags, and a character limit that really does not apply to Facebook.

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2011, 04:17:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I decided to manually do all my FB posts but do, do my twitter posts automated. I just don't go on twitter enough. Also I added mailchimp and will see how that goes.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »
So, I have a list of websites that might be of use to others.  Would they go here or a new thread?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
So, I have a list of websites that might be of use to others.  Would they go here or a new thread?

You can put them here, and we'll split them off into a new thread.  Or you can put them in a new thread, and we'll merge them into this one.  Whichever you prefer. 8)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »
Here's a question for someone who knows Wordpress and .htaccess:

On our site (let's call it example.com), Wordpress is installed in ~/public_html/, so when you go to example.com you see the Wordpress blog.

Other software is also installed in subdirectories.  For example, SMF forum software is in ~/public_html/forum/.  If you go to example.com/forum/, you see the forum.  Great.

Yesterday I tried to set up some malware-detection software in a password-protected subdirectory, ~/public_html/test/.  What I want to happen is, when you go to example.com/test/, you get prompted for a username and password, and then you see the test software.

What I get instead is a Wordpress 404 "page not found" page.

I don't want Wordpress intercepting this.  How come it works for the forum but not for a password-protected directory?  Do I need to play around with .htaccess?  I've found some info online suggesting I need something like this:
Code: [Select]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/(foldername|foldername/.*)$
Suggestions?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »
Found my own answer. :)

WordPress and .htaccess Password Protected Directories

Needed to define an error document for 401 errors.  Adding this at the top of ~/public_html/.htaccess fixed the problem:

ErrorDocument 401 default

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »
Found my own answer. :)

WordPress and .htaccess Password Protected Directories

Needed to define an error document for 401 errors.  Adding this at the top of ~/public_html/.htaccess fixed the problem:

ErrorDocument 401 default

opps, sorry bill, that is what i was thinking it was but too busy to look up the syntax...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »
opps, sorry bill, that is what i was thinking it was but too busy to look up the syntax...

No problem -- Now I've learned something about .htaccess, about which I was previously oblivious.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »
No problem -- Now I've learned something about .htaccess, about which I was previously oblivious.
good! you an go back to bed, you're learned your one thing for today.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
that is what i do also. It would be more optimal to customize my twitter posts, however I decided it is not worth it for me at this point. If I start treating my site more like a business this might change... that being said Jack automates his twitter and customizes his facebook

Just a quick note about facebook. I like to end my facebook posts with a question. Here is an example:

Check out my article on homemade fermented hot sauce. What is your favorite hot sauce recipe?

It encourages engagement. My fan page is, by far, the most successful thing about my blog. I'm up around 3k users with very high engagement just by keeping up on that. Now if I would actually focus on the content I could start making some progress.... :D

Thanks for the advice, I decided to manually do all my FB posts but do, do my twitter posts automated. I just don't go on twitter enough. Also I added mailchimp and will see how that goes.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »
Oh, thought i would throw this out there... if you just need a quick mailing list and you don't envision ever making your site into a business then google groups works great for that

We have about 1200 subscribers over at http://www.porcmtbclub.org and that works for a free solution.  One thing is sites like mail chimp will allow you to craft autoresponders and email campaigns..
its a deep subject and I could write a tome about it.

I'm going to recommend a good book that really goes deep into the nuts and bolts of leveraging your list. I purchased this on audible.com but you can get it print too obviously. I find audiobooks on business easier to stomach as they are quite boring to read.

http://www.amazon.com/ProBlogger-Secrets-Blogging-Six-Figure-Income/dp/B003Y56X7W

Fair warning... the narrator is ANNOYING AS F__K!  LOL  the inflection KILLS me... still better than reading it though. It's good content

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »
Hey Guys,... I could use some suggestions...

In previous years,.. I used to use PKzip/PKUNzip  and ZIP2EXE.. ZIP2EXE was nice to use from time to time to create a self extracting backup.

Now it looks like I need to do so again, but there doesn't seem to be as many options, or at least I don't seem to be able to locate them.

While I mention making a EXE, I know I should be able to do the same with a MSI package..  Either way, I need to package up some changes (registry, short cuts, updates) to some remote computers, and I'd like to use a self extractor

Any suggestions?

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »
Clearing the cobwebs on this thread.......

I recently installed 12.10 Ubuntu.  Now I want to get bluetooth audio adapters to work, so that I can use this box for listening to podcasts, music and just playing around.
I have four or five different BT devices, all made by Plantronics.
BT300 (3 of these) and one D100 adapter.

I can not seem to get Ubuntu to recognize the hardware.
I have followed recommendations on the command line from these sites.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothSetup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g0FOkPNo2Q