Author Topic: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers  (Read 146826 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2013, 03:28:11 AM »
a question from me....

Since i migrated from XP to Win 7 i have this problem with MS Word Custom dictionary.
I have succesfully transfered the costom.dic file (Office 2003 IIRC) and now Word (office 2007) does recognize past dictionary additions.
But the option of adding new one is not active (left click on the word and "add to dictionary"

BTW
- I think i have saved the original win 7 dic file in its original place by renaming
- older dic was on win XP Greek, MS Office Greek, now Win 7 is English and MS Office 2007 is Greek

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2013, 12:36:18 PM »
Possibly??? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/add-to-dictionary-greyed-out-in-word-2010/10e3e209-784b-4ccf-8a70-7b44cbdeff15

a question from me....

Since i migrated from XP to Win 7 i have this problem with MS Word Custom dictionary.
I have succesfully transfered the costom.dic file (Office 2003 IIRC) and now Word (office 2007) does recognize past dictionary additions.
But the option of adding new one is not active (left click on the word and "add to dictionary"

BTW
- I think i have saved the original win 7 dic file in its original place by renaming
- older dic was on win XP Greek, MS Office Greek, now Win 7 is English and MS Office 2007 is Greek

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »
I know I should not say this.. but I cannot resist...

It's all Greek to me..

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »
I know I should not say this.. but I cannot resist...

It's all Greek to me..

you need this shirt:

nelson96

« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
Question. . .  I use IBM Lotus Notes on my work computer, how do I send an email that includes a picture (jpeg) that will allow the person reading my email to see it without having to click on a file?

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2013, 07:24:14 PM »
Have you tried opening the picture, right click on the picture, select copy.

Go to the body of your note, right click, paste.

We used to use Lotus Notes, but we just went to outlook instead so I can't try it to see if that still works in Lotus Notes.

nelson96

« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
Have you tried opening the picture, right click on the picture, select copy.

Go to the body of your note, right click, paste.

We used to use Lotus Notes, but we just went to outlook instead so I can't try it to see if that still works in Lotus Notes.

No, it copies the file and that's all you see.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Lotus Notes is still out there? jeesh, that is 1990's tech

nelson96

« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
Lotus Notes is still out there? jeesh, that is 1990's tech

Wellit is version 6.5.1  ;D

nelson96

« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/checkingin/entry/lotus_notes_getting_images_to_appear_inline_in_emails_sent_to_internet_addresses2?lang=en

Bummer. . . .  That wasn't an option available to me in my mail tab or any other that I found.  And the instruction is not quite what I'm looking for. . .  I want to send an email (that I produce) with images from my own files that appear as images within my message instead of the picture file.  I think your linked instruction was more for sending images obtained off the internet.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:37:21 PM by nelson96 »

Offline Denny27

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2016, 12:52:09 PM »
Looking to learn Wordpress. I want to build a simple website for a part time business I'm thinking about getting into.  Any good places to learn it?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »
Looking to learn Wordpress. I want to build a simple website for a part time business I'm thinking about getting into.  Any good places to learn it?

Depending on how simple of a website you're talking about, "learn by doing" is a pretty good method.  You can probably get a basic site (a blog, or a few static pages) up and running over one weekend, even if you're starting with zero knowledge.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #223 on: March 03, 2016, 01:30:35 PM »
regardign using phrases as paswords....

I cannot understand what advantage there is to it.
I am assumign thta password breaking is down with trying al the possible combinations of the available characters.

thenwouldn't be easy to add word prediction routines and search for word combinations?

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
Pass phrases are a step up in mitigating dictionary attacks.  Dictionary attacks contain common words.  (Up to and including the entire dictionary). 
For example.  A single word, even a long word would be the least secure in this example.   

Example A  Single word  "Expatriated"  A dictionary could contain the real word and would crack this password.

The next step up is to use a pass phrase (Depending on the limit of the software that allows your password length). 
Example B  Pass-phrase "thedogfellofftheporch"   This password hash is exponentially more secure due to it's length over the single word, but because it's made up of real words, a hashing algorithm could break it down by sections and eventually crack it.   

I prefer a pass-phrase condensed.    using the same pass-phrase above, we can make it exponentially more difficult to crack by just using the first letters of each word.  tdfotp  No real words, even though it's shorter, it would foil every dictionary attack and would have to have it's hash cracked. (With the caveat that your not using a well known pass phrase like "Every Good Boy Does Fine" There are dictionary attacks for known pass phrases as well.  you have to make up your own).

I use this in combination with special characters and numbers for both the strongest passwords, but also easy to remember. 
My example would use the same passphrase above but with the following alterations.

TdFoTp@41045

This is easy to remember, in this example, every other letter is capitalized, the special character is thrown in and the numbers are random (in this case I used gun calibers 410 and 45).   

now the great part of this, I can use the same password for multiple accounts with just some minor changes.

TdFoTp@35740 for email and TdFoTp@223006 for bank etc, etc.      And i know, if I forgot a password, I can figure out it's one of my passwords with different numbers.

This system works great and is far more secure yet easy to use than any other system I've tried.

Doc
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:54:52 PM by Docwatmo »

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
I used to use phrases. Had a whole system to it. I just use a password manager now. Every site that needs a password now has pseudo random one now. All I have memorized is the one for the manager.  Makes changing passwords easier too. When heartbleed happened, I spent a couple of weeks changing passwords. Now I can go down the list and just swap in new ones.

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #226 on: March 03, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »
I have a question which has bugged me for too long.
How do I setup a home network with file & printer sharing & a smart tv.
I've tried all the multitudes of examples online but I guess it's just not my forte

My laptop is Win 10
I'm on comcast xfinity
TV is a Vizio wifi smart TV

I'd like to have a file server for music, pictures, movies & file storage & maybe even have that automatically backed up to an external HD..

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #227 on: March 04, 2016, 12:07:44 AM »
NOW I get it.....
Pss phrses are an improvement over using your pets name as apssword.
I thought they were better over efgh8678g&*%gkbo type passwords
TNX Docwatmo!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2016, 11:48:41 AM »
study this also:
https://xkcd.com/936/

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »
but this is the opposite that Docwatmo said. the pass phrase is vulnerable to the dictionary aaatacks

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #230 on: March 04, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
the longer the passphrase is the better. if you can remember random characters that is good, but most ppl write them down. and that invalidates the security. i frankly dont trust password reminders, loose that password/device and you are screwed.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #231 on: March 04, 2016, 05:27:59 PM »
Condensed passphrases like I mentioned are better than regular word or word number passwords.  But length is the ultimate complicator.  Although the one caveat is Microsoft Windows hashes are 8 characters long, so a 7 character password is actually better than 10 character password. (Cracking algorithms break the longer password hash into 8 character chunks, so the algorithm only has the crack the 2nd chunk (only 2 characters) and then use the same algorithm on the first chunk of 8 characters).    16 character or 24 character become exponentially more difficult to crack and and throw in another 8 or 16 characters and it would take super computers running billions of calculations years to crack the hash.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #232 on: March 04, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »
...Microsoft Windows hashes are 8 characters long, so a 7 character password is actually better than 10 character password. (Cracking algorithms break the longer password hash into 8 character chunks, so the algorithm only has the crack the 2nd chunk (only 2 characters) and then use the same algorithm on the first chunk of 8 characters). ...

:wtf: :facepalm: :banghead:

I like using things from my childhood, especially made-up words that nobody else in the world would know.

But yeah, I do have to write them all down somewhere.  For the most important ones, I'll just write down a password hint rather than the actual password.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #233 on: March 04, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
I didn't realize until I used LastPass on how many sites I used the same password. I knew I shouldn't have but it happened anyway.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #234 on: March 04, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »
I have a question which has bugged me for too long.
How do I setup a home network with file & printer sharing & a smart tv.
I've tried all the multitudes of examples online but I guess it's just not my forte

My laptop is Win 10
I'm on comcast xfinity
TV is a Vizio wifi smart TV

I'd like to have a file server for music, pictures, movies & file storage & maybe even have that automatically backed up to an external HD..

I followed the guys over at Tested and build a FreeNAS server to hold my ripped blu rays and other media. Run everything using Plex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICblwRtUito

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #235 on: March 04, 2016, 08:49:26 PM »
study this also:
https://xkcd.com/936/

This is such a fantastic comic. I should read it more than I currently do.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #236 on: March 07, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
so a 7 character password is actually better than 10 character password. (Cracking algorithms break the longer password hash into 8 character chunks, so the algorithm only has the crack the 2nd chunk (only 2 characters) and then use the same algorithm on the first chunk of 8 characters).   

While that sounds theoretically accurate, I think it's not quite as bad as you make it sound.

e.g. my password is "chocolatey"

Suppose that MSFT hash first splits into two byte[8] strings

Code: [Select]
part1 = "chocolat"
part2 = "ey"______"
(I put 6 underscores to represent the absences of characters)

If I follow you, it generates a hash for each part.
Here's md5sum values just for a colorful example (I know it's a totally different algorithm)

Code: [Select]
hash1 = d8729025d3be00402ed19188828f029c
hash2 = df89f053799f662e9c5d481e98aa4b4e
How can you know if the source string contained 6 blank characters?

I really think that's the secret ingredient.  If you know the length of a given password in plain text, AND you have the hash, that information will be helpful in cracking the hash algorithm. 

To me, cracking an encryption algorithm is different than brute forcing Sally's personal password

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #237 on: March 08, 2016, 05:30:17 AM »
You are absolutely correct.  My CEH class was 5 years ago so I'm getting a bit rusty.   ;D

Offline GerrieRPh

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2016, 03:01:06 PM »
Website build questions. My business initially (first 1-4 years) will be local. After year 5, potential for national sales on a small scale. Think Etsy size.
1. Website domain: Check.  I'm leaning towards buying my domain (vs. free from hosting) because technology changes to fast. 
2. WordPress: I'm leaning towards using this for design. I'm a computer nerd in real life, so no fears. But I dont have alot of time. So, this seems to be the fastest, cost effective choice.
3. Hosting: Ok, this is where I need help. I want to post files, blog, be able to email, and later accept SSL transactions for products. I dont want spam ads to hit my website, nor those annoying ads when viewing sites on your phone.  I suspect my blog might be photo heavy. So which hosting company would work best for my wants?
4. Add ons: I'm not crazy about affiliate links, although I suspect I will want to use a few.  I would like my webpage to appear on the first pages of a google search. Which add ons should I be exploring
5. What questions haven't I asked? You dont know, what you dont know.

Thanks for all the help!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2016, 03:36:20 PM »

and later accept SSL transactions for products

No.  With all due respect, I don't think you are ready for such a responsibility.  Payment processing involves tons of regulation and has a lot of risk to you as a business owner.  I highly recommend you outsource this portion of your website, at least initially.  Use PayPal, Spreedly, etc.

If you process and/or store payment details on your server - you are responsible for:

1) ensuring your code accesses PII and PCI details in a safe manner
2) ensuring your data is secure and accessible in appropriate ways
2a) this includes website security
2b) physical network security (can you guarantee the dudes at the hosting company can't login and query your DB for Credit Card #s?)
3) you also get into chain of custody issues for financial reporting, etc. etc.

On the one hand, you want as much direct control, but on the other you want to outsource the liability away from you and your business.