Author Topic: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers  (Read 133279 times)

Offline Jackncoke

• Survivor
  • aka Silverfox
    • Sunset Shores Travel
Re: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
If you're thrashing and are having a hard time coming up for air on the website issue, PM me.  I'll get it set up for you in about a day.  Cost = $50 if you have everything you need already (logo, etc).  If you need design work, I can do simple stuff (not drawing out a whole new creation, but creating word logos, etc) for very cheap.  If you need a really great graphic artist, get ahold of Nicodemus here on the forum.  He's amazing, and will treat you extremely well.

I appreciate that offer very much.  For the time being, all I have to spend is sweat equity. But in the future, you'll be at the top of my list.

Offline creativem2

• Prepper
    • The Movie Review Podcast
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
Here's my quick rundown of getting your podcast on iTunes.  This is of course considering that you've recorded it and have uploaded somewhere.

I use Feedburner http://feedburner.google.com.  Setup an account then get you feed setup and they will give you a url like this one http://feeds.feedburner.com/creativem2/PWQj

From there you'll need iTunes. 

Go to the iTunes store, then click on Podcasts on the top dark grey menu bar.  When the page loads, on the right pane you'll see a Submit a Podcast link, go there.  You'll paste the feedburner link into the 1st prompt then fill out the rest of the info. 

Once you submit iTunes will send you an email confirmation that they received the request and that it is under review.  If everything is good, it should be no more than a couple of days before you'll show up in iTunes.

I'm using Wordpress with PowerPress to publish my podcast and I store the mp3s on my host, no problems yet, not many listeners though... :)

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »
I'm also trying to make a website for my wife's business.  I just registered the domain this evening after watching Jack's video about host gator.

www.manypennylaw.com

Right now it's as basic as it gets.  It was easier than I expected to get the website hosted and to the point it is now.  Going further seems like it'll be as difficult as I originally thought.  I had considered hiring someone to create the site and its still a possibility. Before investing more money, I have to make sure I can get the site to come up in search results.  Its main purpose will be as a marketing tool.

Offline creativem2

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
I'm also trying to make a website for my wife's business.  I just registered the domain this evening after watching Jack's video about host gator.

www.manypennylaw.com

Right now it's as basic as it gets.  It was easier than I expected to get the website hosted and to the point it is now.  Going further seems like it'll be as difficult as I originally thought.  I had considered hiring someone to create the site and its still a possibility. Before investing more money, I have to make sure I can get the site to come up in search results.  Its main purpose will be as a marketing tool.

Jack has a couple of videos on SEO at http://www.jackspirko.com

Sign up for a webmaster tools account with google http://ww.google.com/webmasters/tools/ and get your site indexed and picked up by the google search engine.  They have directions for all of that once you setup your account.  From there you'll need to research some SEO (search engine optimization) tricks to get you site up in the ranks on search terms.  Jack has some good tips on his website mentioned above, they are in some of the earlier videos.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 07:58:59 AM »
Apologies SIS... do you have a separate website for your business?

At work we turn down these small type of jobs all the time (not that we are so awesome, it's just not our business model) and I've been referring them to various vendors. I would much rather pass them your way.... you can shoot me an email if you want to discuss further.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »
I want a post on this thread just so I can come back to it for reference and questions.

Thanks to everyone so far!
You people make this forum the best place on the internet, in my opinion. And I tend to favor my opinion. :o
 ;D :D ;D :D JK

:hare:

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
For a decent Open Source HTML editor, try NVue or now what is called KompoZer  It can be found at
www.portableapps.com

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
I'm partial to notepad++

at work i use phpedit by waterproof software... it is excellent but i think it is like $100

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
I'm partial to notepad++

So'm I.  Or dreamweaver if I am feeling particularly colorful.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
Apologies SIS... do you have a separate website for your business?

At work we turn down these small type of jobs all the time (not that we are so awesome, it's just not our business model) and I've been referring them to various vendors. I would much rather pass them your way.... you can shoot me an email if you want to discuss further.

No apologies necessary!  I just want to be sure that folks who'd like to do this for a living can support one another here at TSP.  I wasn't drumming up work for myself - Honest!  I've got way too much to do for me to add this to the list.  I was just trying to help a fellow TSPer in this case.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:23:08 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2011, 07:19:02 PM »
ok because i was ready to drop the flood gates

i sent you a PM with a very small job i need help with BTW when you get a chance....

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »
I used to do a lot of hand coding HTML in notepad, and then discovered hot-dog many many moons ago.  Then I got my first WYSIWYG editor (Hotmetal pro) and was hooked.  That was the BEST tool back in the day.  I then moved up to Dreamweaver and front page and ended up in front page 95% of the time because of the Microsoft systems running Front page extensions I was working on.  Now I've discovered Joomla and will probably never use anything else again LOL  (Not really, I still love my Adobe collection and am still learning lots of the ins and outs, plus for work I ended up getting the new Microsoft Expressions since they dropped front page.  Its ok, and still dumbed down quite a bit from Dreamweaver or any of the others.   But I like having several tools for the job because you just never know when one little feature from a program will make or break the site your working on.  Most of what I do now is internal so nobody but the employees get to enjoy it  ;) LOL, but I am enjoying getting back into development and will most likely start moving back out into the real world with it.  I also haven't programmed in 15 or more years and recently picked up the latest Visual Studio package (Man they have come a long way).  Probably do some basic internal development for a while until I get comfortable with it again and then move on.   I did spend a year or so doing embedded programming with MS Embedded for phones/handhelds etc.  I developed some mini truck computers that ran off of CF cards and were fully windows compliant to run any windows software.  But the development cost was equal to Laptops and then the after installation maintenance proved to be far too expensive.  Ended up dropping some Dell ATG laptops in the trucks with a couple spares and presto.   So that project went out the window but I learned a lot and have some nice embedded tools to go along with it.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 08:33:48 AM »
i'm all for wysiwyg... i use WP for my personal stuff and have developed our own custom CMS as well... however for my job I have to use text editors due to the nature of work i do, so when I got on a wysiwyg editor I start getting frustrated and wanting to view the source, since that is what i am used to.   

It's like when i get on excel, i can't do basic things that people take for granted, lol... because I don't use excel... anyway it's all what your used to. 

BTW I always thought notepad was not so great to use... no syntax highlighting... i remember back in the day it was cool to have a "made in notepad" banner on your site.... ha ha

BTW notepad++ is a different beast.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »
Yep, thats why I LOVED hotdog back in the day.  It was my first syntax sensitive editor.  Trippled my editing speed in about 5 minutes. LOL

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
I really need an MS sharepoint developer for a contract... If that is YOU please contact me!!

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »
If you have a smart phone like an iphone or android I find recording the podcast on there has superior audio quality.
-Nick

Super-noob question here...once I record the podcast how do I get it off of my iphone and onto my laptop? I have a 3GS if that makes any difference.

Sherri

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
Video newbie here -- I only recently got a fast enough connection where I could bother with online videos. How can I save the YouTube-type videos posted here (and other places) so that I can review them off-line? I am running Windows Vista with IE 7.
 ???  :-[

Thanks!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »
Video newbie here -- I only recently got a fast enough connection where I could bother with online videos. How can I save the YouTube-type videos posted here (and other places) so that I can review them off-line? I am running Windows Vista with IE 7.

Thanks!

Hmmmm. Technically that's illegal... And we don't allow discussion of illegal stuff here.  But... Do a google for what youre asking, and you'll likely come up with something.

Offline creativem2

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »

Thanks!
If you download the Google Chrome web browser there is an extension that's made just for downloading YouTube vids.

http://www.chromeextensions.org/music-videos-photos/youtube-downloader/

Offline creativem2

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »
Hmmmm. Technically that's illegal... And we don't allow discussion of illegal stuff here.  But... Do a google for what youre asking, and you'll likely come up with something.
How is it illegal?  I haven't researched the legality of it but if you're not re-distributing the material I don't see an issue.  I mean, if it's on YouTube, it's kinda free, right?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
Actually, it's NOT illegal.  I was totally wrong.  It's against YOutube's TOS, but *shrugs*  not illegal.  So go for it.  :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
Based on my copious legal knowledge (i.e. half an hour with Google ;) ) the legality issue just depends on whether the video itself is a copyright violation.  If it is, then it's illegal to even watch it, much less download it.

I'm using a Firefox plugin called "DownloadHelper".  Seems to work pretty well.  I really don't know what (if anything) is available for IE7, though.  If you can find the video file in IE's cache (wherever that is!), you can just save a copy from there.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 08:10:43 AM »
This first set of steps is one time only. It will chance your itunes to use MP3 (needed for podcasts) rather than M4A (apple format nobody uses)
1) edit menu > Preferences
2) General Tab....
3) Click the button that says "import settings"
4) under "Import using" select "Mp3 encoder"
5) Select OK on both windows

1) click on your phone in itunes
2) go to music tab
3) click checkbox "include voice memos"
4) sync your phone
5) click on music under "library"
6) in the search box type "voice" to filter your music to just your voice memos
6) right click on the voice memo your recorded and select "Create MP3 version"
7) You will see your new file being created (grayed out)
8) after this has completed right click on the new file and select "show in windows explorer"

Super-noob question here...once I record the podcast how do I get it off of my iphone and onto my laptop? I have a 3GS if that makes any difference.

Sherri

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 08:12:30 AM »
This is the best of the ones I tried.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/easy-youtube-video-downl-10137/

I use this not to pirate, but to create music video playlists in windows media center to play on my xbox (yeah i am a huge nerd)

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 08:52:12 AM »

Thanks!
Found this
http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/
which seems to work well enough with IE, so far...

Thanks for the input, y'all  :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
My oldest son is learning C++ programming on his own (got a book at the library). He had a problem with his hard drive (had to be replaced) and had to re-install all the software, etc. Well, he no longer has access to the disc he used to load up the compiler initially. I looked online and find such a huge array of free compilers available that I have NO idea which one to choose. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks so much for offering advice for the rest of us...

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
For your son I would recommend that he get a copy of linux. Any edition such as ubuntu would be fine. These can be booted directly off of a thumb drive and that is what I recommend.

There are command line compilers such as gcc for c++.... if he is making console programming such as we learned in school then this is what we used.... if he is doing something else like making visual C++ apps then of course this advice does not apply.

-Nick

My oldest son is learning C++ programming on his own (got a book at the library). He had a problem with his hard drive (had to be replaced) and had to re-install all the software, etc. Well, he no longer has access to the disc he used to load up the compiler initially. I looked online and find such a huge array of free compilers available that I have NO idea which one to choose. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks so much for offering advice for the rest of us...

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
Agree totally with Ladieu on the programming side.  I'm trying to switch over entirely to Linux and there are some great tools available.

But if he is going visual in windows and wants the nice GUI and lots of built in tools,  Then the Microsoft compiler is now free.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »
good suggestions above guys. i'd suggest Linux first. did not know that MS made it free now.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
first off, of course i love linux and I am going to take some heat for this comment, however .net programmers have more job opportunities at the moment... OF COURSE you should do whichever appeals to you...

I program in the linux side of the house, but if i was just thinking about $$$ i would go get my sharepoint developer certification and go make intranet sites for big corps... they seem to like that

anyway do what you like of course, that is what i do, but something to consider

good suggestions above guys. i'd suggest Linux first. did not know that MS made it free now.