Author Topic: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers  (Read 158638 times)

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
Re: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2011, 01:12:21 AM »
Man!  This is exiting.  The suspense...  Keep the exchange going.... 

Oh, heres a questions
I have a BlackArmor NAS server plugged to my router....  And that about all I have for a server.  I run 2 PC's, and one Laptop.  Should I run a PC as the server?  Or is the NAS server eliminates the need for it.  Also, I always run into trouble running multiple printers for all computers...  they always have to be plugged to the comp that is printing directly....

Tnx

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
I have a BlackArmor NAS server plugged to my router....  And that about all I have for a server.  I run 2 PC's, and one Laptop.  Should I run a PC as the server?  Or is the NAS server eliminates the need for it.  Also, I always run into trouble running multiple printers for all computers...  they always have to be plugged to the comp that is printing directly....
What do you need a server for? Are you going to host a web site? Host a game server? The NAS provides a shared disk storage area (and might also offer some web server capability).
You can plug the printers into a single computer, then config that computer to share the printers with other computers. Can the NAS act as a printer sharing device? Some can. I'll look up your NAS.
ok, yours can serve USB printers from it to other computers. But I dont see a web server feature.
So if your printers are usb, you can share them thru the NAS.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
Thanks....
So printers are an option... 
I'm using it for my home business.  I'm a freelance designer and that's where I keep all of my files.  Many times my computer crashes or hard drive fails.... I'm good.  But would love to do more.

Would the NAS Server stay on the router or go through the server (PC) along with the printers?

Also, would it be possible to install office, AutCAD, etc on my server and use it from my desktop?   Or is it asking for too much?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2011, 09:36:04 PM »
Thanks....
I'm using it for my home business.  I'm a freelance designer and that's where I keep all of my files.  Many times my computer crashes or hard drive fails.... I'm good.  But would love to do more.

You're a designer!!  That's wonderful!  What sort of designer?  Pen & Ink? Cartoon?  Digital stuff?

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2011, 12:35:32 AM »
Industrial-Petro-Chemical (Piping Designer, concrete and structural steel)  mainly draw up what engineers come up with...  Currently not working in that industry anymore.

Residential - New, Remodel, & Seismic Retro-fit/upgrade.  I do blueprints.  Ive done remodels, legalization's, structural upgrades, structural concrete and steel, load bearing trellis for solar panels, & so forth.  
Homes all over Los Angeles area to Newport Beach and even a home in Palm Springs.  A lot of the heavy stuff is done with a civil or structural Engineer.

No cartoon...  That would be fun though.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
You can save some coin by getting a pre-made theme and then paying someone like sis to customize it. This is my suggestion vs making a new theme.

Also don't get hung up on designs... the best design is one that gets out of the way of your content....

Alternatives are iffy.  A regular website would require that your wife knows HTML and can dive into it and make changes without breaking the site.  It's possible, but it would require more work on your wife's part than is necessary nowadays.

Have her ask that company for a WP leaning portfolio, so that she can take a look at what they've done in the very recent past.  Remember that all web developers improve dramatically on a very regular basis if they have any desire to "stay fresh", so look at their most recent stuff, rather than the work they did a year or more ago.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »
if your using this for your business I beg you to setup some off site backup in addition.

A friend of mine had suffered a burglary. Lost her backup drive and her laptop!  ... don't think it can't happen to you!!

i currently favor elephantdrive.com

also i would not install your programs on a network drive... it will make your computer run like poo.

In fact consider putting in a solid state drive to run your programs and OS... that is what I am doing currently.

-Nick

Thanks....

Would the NAS Server stay on the router or go through the server (PC) along with the printers?

Also, would it be possible to install office, AutCAD, etc on my server and use it from my desktop?   Or is it asking for too much?

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
In WordPress I'm trying to set up jump links (I think that's the name) where I can have a word in a FAQ page link to a different spot on the same page.
For some reason I can't figure it out and I can't find anything about it in the docs.
Am I looking for the wrong thing? Is it called something other than jump links?
 :-\

thanks

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2011, 10:15:13 PM »
Try this....

Where you want the link to be, go:

Code: [Select]
<a href="#codeword">words that you want to use as a link</a>
Then where you want that link to take you (needs to be on the same page), go:

Code: [Select]
<a name="codeword">
Note that you need to be in the HTML side of the post editor to even try this, and also note that the link MUST have the # sign at the top, and it must NOT have the # sign at the bottom (where you're linking to).

And... of course, change "codeword" to be whatever you want the codeword to be.

I'm not sure this even works on WP, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Hope that helps!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2011, 07:28:22 AM »
Thanks Sis.
I'm doing something wrong. I'll keep playing with it.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2011, 11:42:07 AM »
popular topic... might i suggest it as sticky?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2011, 12:45:14 PM »
popular topic... might i suggest it as sticky?
covered with honey and sticky now

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2011, 12:50:16 PM »
covered with honey and sticky now
Have you been hanging out with DEV again? ;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »
Have you been hanging out with DEV again? ;)
psh. DEV prefers molasses.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Sis.
I'm doing something wrong. I'll keep playing with it.

Yup, it works.  I tested it here:  http://tiffanyrockwell.com/blog/2011/03/24/testing-2/

Remember that it will put the text at the very top of the window.  :)

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
Yup, it works.  I tested it here:  http://tiffanyrockwell.com/blog/2011/03/24/testing-2/

Remember that it will put the text at the very top of the window.  :)
It seems like something this simple would be ...... simple.
I did the view/page source on you page just to see if the html was the same and it looks like it is, but mine still wont work.
Is some plug in required? (I ask because I don't even know what to ask)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2011, 05:46:11 PM »
It seems like something this simple would be ...... simple.
I did the view/page source on you page just to see if the html was the same and it looks like it is, but mine still wont work.
Is some plug in required? (I ask because I don't even know what to ask)

Nope.  :)  I'll go sign into your blog and see if I can test it.  Is that alright with you?

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »
Nope.  :)  I'll go sign into your blog and see if I can test it.  Is that alright with you?
Very much alright.
I'll PM you with some info.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2011, 08:58:57 PM »
Very much alright.
I'll PM you with some info.

Capitalizations didn't match.  Fixed it and it fixed yer problem.  :)

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2011, 05:30:43 AM »
Sister Wolf is the best.
How silly of me not to notice something that simple.

Thanks.
 ;D

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »
Sister Wolf is the best.
How silly of me not to notice something that simple.

Thanks.
 ;D
If you are not used to code, HTML, PHP or CSS - you don't realize that CAPS are a difference... Took me a while to, and sometimes it still hits me from time to time.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
Is there a way to change the default print settings in "paint" in Windows XP Pro?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:58:03 AM by bartsdad »

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »
I don't think you can change it for just one program.. go to control panel > printers to change it for all programs

Is there a way to change the default print settings in "paint" in Windows XP Pro?

Thanks

Offline D Haught

• Prepper
    • eBusiness beginner
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2011, 01:54:59 PM »
Can someone list some good reference resources for building a PC from scratch?
I have an old PC I use for the web surfing, and podcast downloads but it's just not up to snuff for editing my AVCHD home movies or good audio editing. (Old Gateway with Pentium 4 530 3Ghz)

Also how high up the list should I go for a CPU to accomplish these tasks? I have been considering going with an AMD Athlon II X4 635 processor.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
Considering the specs you were running at anything more modern should do well.
When it comes to buying or building a PC I always tell everyone to decide how much you are willing to spend FIRST.  then build it out to spec to use up the money you want to spend.  You'll always end up with the best price/performance/comfort level that way.

CPU, any dual core or better 2 ghz processor will do the job easily.  I'm an intel guy but AMD has some good ones as well.
memory is cheap, I'd go 4 gigs (for any 32 bit OS) or if you go 64 bit, I'd go 8 gigs.
The rest is dependent on what exactly you want to get out of the machine.
For lots of video and audio work, I'd prefer dedicated video and audio cards.  the motherboards with built in video and audio are ok for basic stuff, but you will rapidly outgrow them if you do heavy or multichannel work.
If you plan to edit video, then Spend extra on the video/capture card and CPU.  Those two items will make the most out of your money.

I've always built my own for 20 years so I don't know where to go look for build specs LOL.   

If you want to post the amount your willing to spend or a rough number where you want to be at.  I can pull a parts list and give you a good idea of what kind of equipment you can get for that price.  (It wont be until tomorrow afternoon though).

Its fun and not as hard as people tend to think.  It more of a jigsaw puzzle (Just pluggin in parts) than anything now adays.  Don't have to do too much under the hood stuff with modern equipment.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
I get all my parts form either www.tigerdirect.com or www.newegg.com  Between those two you can get a good idea of parts costs.    there are others that you can get parts cheaper at, but those are my two Goto shops.  I have a business account with Tiger and get even better pricing so my numbers may be a little different than yours.

EDIT: fixed link
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:12:10 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline D Haught

• Prepper
    • eBusiness beginner
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
I'd like to be able to edit my AVCHD files and render finished video's without waiting for hours for the video to finish compiling or whatever you call it. I'd also like to be able to edit audio like music and podcasts but the video is my main priority.
I was looking at parts on tiger direct but wasn't sure what all would work together.
Would it be worth it, or possible to use the HD that's in my current computer and transfer it to a new build so my OS and everything else is already there and I'd just be upgrading all the hardware. I use XP home and have a 250 GB 7200 rpm SATA HD with 8mb cache. Is it possible that it would plug into a new motherboard or should I just buy a new HD and OS if I build a new computer and use Windows 7 64 bit?

I don't really care about processor brands it just looked like AMD had some higher performing processors comparing price points with Intel.

Oh yeah and I'd like to come in under $500.00
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:30:18 PM by D Haught »

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »
The HD would transfer just fine.  (Is it an older IDE or newer SATA drive?)  If its IDE, you just need to choose a motherboard with IDE slots or add an IDE card on a machine that doesn't.

However I would recommend that the OS be reinstalled from scratch (Either XP or preferably Windows 7 64 bit). 

With that many component changes theres to big a chance you'd have problem
$500 is pretty reasonable if all your replacing is MB, Video, Memory and maybe a Power supply or sound card components and you already have a license for windows 7.  The OS might push it a bit if you still need to buy a license for windows 7.   

Also, is the license you have for windows XP transferable?  If it was an OEM install, it probably isn't, if you bought it yourself than its good to go in most cases.

Using your numbers and wants list. I'll put together a compatible component list tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

Offline D Haught

• Prepper
    • eBusiness beginner
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
The hard drive in my computer is an SATA 250 GB. 7200 rpm 8mb cache. The computer came with XP installed. Perhaps I will just upgrade to windows 7. I thought it would be as simple as just transferring the hard drive between machines and the OS would still work. Guess not.

I could go up a little on the budget if I have to but at much above 500 I start seeing refurbished computers for sale at Tiger Direct and other places that have performance like what I am looking for.
Is there any particular advantage to my building one vs. buying a refurb?

Offline Michael Johnson

• Prepper
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
First time setting up a website and I am struggling. I bought a domain name at domain.com. I have a mac so I am using mobile me and iweb. From what my research tells me I am suppose to go to domain.com and direct it to point to MobileMe using "WEB.ME.COM" then using iweb I tell it I am hosting at mobile me and link it to my mobile me account. Once I did this it said it should take 48-72 hours for the information to update, after over two weeks the only thing that comes up is still the error message.
there is no support for this on domain.com or apple, they both pretty much say to ask the other guy.

any ideas what I should do?